2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2880887 08/18/19 10:53 AM
OP Offline
Some time ago I bought my VPC-1 controller and I thought I might share my little project with you, since I'm so excited now that it's done after some time it took for me to get everything...

At first, the VPC-1 sat simply on my desk, which was wayyyy to high so the practice kind of hurt my wrists, but it was doable.
[Linked Image]

I knew I couldn't do it that way forever, so I started looking for piano stands/desks. I couldn't imagine having to look at metal rods underneath my VPC, nor did I want it to be wobbly and flimsy, so I decided to get a nice and sturdy wooden desk. At first I tried to contact a local furniture maker to have it custom made, but he ignored me so I went to used furniture places to look at a desk in a roughly correct height (+/- 3in is tolerable, since that can be counteracted by an adjustable piano chair), which was 28in (typical heigh to the top of the keys) - 4in (thickness of the VPC) = 24in. Finally, I got a 26in TV stand with almost exactly the same dimensions as VPC, however, in an extremely ugly finish
[Linked Image]

I also bought a beautiful and sturdy adjustable piano bench from Amazon (so I can make up for the slightly taller piano)
[Linked Image]

Also, when I sat at a proper height, my knees would bump in to the front panel, which I therefore decided to cut out a portion of it
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And repaint the whole thing in black
[Linked Image]

Overall, I absolutely love the new look, it's kinda glossy, but since I didn't care to sand it before spraying the paint, it's not super (mirror-like) shiny.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The overall cost is about $2200 dollars:

VPC-1 $1664.10, 10% off from Reverb, shipping included
Pianoteq Stage $150
Used TV stand $130
Piano bench $176
Paint, electric jigsaw, sandpaper etc. ~ $40

I also bought Sennheiser headphones, but I don't count that in the price of the rig since I would've bought them anyway (I enjoy gaming with good headphones).

All in all, this project was a lot of fun and playing is now so much more enjoyable ^_^

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Nice! Although I do think you paid too much for that used TV stand and possibly the bench too. However, the result was great so thumb overall!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Great artistic vision with that TV stand. The whole kit looks fantastic

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
It looks like something that's going to walk away when you are not watching.

Like in an old cartoon.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Great DIY setup, I would like to do something similar with my Casio PX5S, but with my ten thumbs, I don't think it would go very well. grin

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
T
T
Looks fantastic and unique

TheodorN #2880930 08/18/19 12:38 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Nice! Although I do think you paid too much for that used TV stand and possibly the bench too. However, the result was great so thumb overall!

Yeah, this used furniture shop is very well known in my city and they have a bit higher prices...though I'm not exactly a haggling type laugh

Also, the bench might seem expensive, but it's a double (two people can sit comfortably) and I feel less bad about it after I talked to someone who said one can easily spend a grand on a chair...

Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
It looks like something that's going to walk away when you are not watching.

Like in an old cartoon.

Haha, exactly, those legs are made to walk wink

Originally Posted by TheodorN
Great DIY setup, I would like to do something similar with my Casio PX5S, but with my ten thumbs, I don't think it would go very well. grin

This was the first time I'd held a jigsaw (let alone electric) in my hands and it turned out to be okay-ish (the wood is very sturdy and the saw was VERY cheap, and I couldn't make it in one single cut so I had to stop about 5 times along the path)...the cut is straight, but a bit wavy. You can't see it, especially with the black finish, but when I run my fingers along the edge, I kinda regret I didn't get a sander, but that might be an overkill for a one-time project. Weirdly, no one was willing to help or at least let me use their instruments, so I was on a budget.

Don't worry, nothing can go wrong, especially with ten thumbs! After all, thumbs are the fingers that make things easier, so the more of them you have, the better laugh

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Cover UP those legs!! They are quite indecent!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Hey Peter ... those are Queen Anne style legs. Show some respect for your UK forebears. smile

I don't think the bench was overpriced.
If it's a Jansen it's a bargain. A new Jansen of that size runs over $700 methinks. So $176 used is cheap.
But if that's a bargain brand bench ... the price is just so-so.

I wonder ... is that stand too low? Maybe it's just the perspective in the photos, but it doesn't seem nearly high enough for legs to go underneath.
I guess it must be deceptive perspective ... because someone has been sitting there, and that person surely has legs, eh?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Indeed it looks like the bench was too high (or the table too low). And that bench looks immense compared to the piano. It looks like 3 persons can sit there. smile

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I love the looks of that - well done !
Where are the speakers and computer ?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I don't think the bench was overpriced.
If it's a Jansen it's a bargain. A new Jansen of that size runs over $700 methinks. So $176 used is cheap.
But if that's a bargain brand bench ... the price is just so-so.

I wonder ... is that stand too low? Maybe it's just the perspective in the photos, but it doesn't seem nearly high enough for legs to go underneath.
I guess it must be deceptive perspective ... because someone has been sitting there, and that person surely has legs, eh?

Originally Posted by magicpiano
Indeed it looks like the bench was too high (or the table too low). And that bench looks immense compared to the piano. It looks like 3 persons can sit there. smile

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07353DVPR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it's this one

As I mentioned in my original post, I had to cut out the section of the stand to be able to have my legs underneath. The keys are 30in from the ground and bench is adjusted accordingly. My knees fit just right in laugh I was afraid to cut more as not to damage the desk structurally.

Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
I love the looks of that - well done !
Where are the speakers and computer ?

Computer is sitting right next to it on my other desk and I always use headphones for playing. I had this computer for about 6 years now so I definitely wouldn't count that as an expense for this piano.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Lovely stand with those retro style legs!

Although it somehow reminds me of this:

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
CyberGene #2881065 08/18/19 05:32 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Lovely stand with those retro style legs!

Although it somehow reminds me of this:

Perfect. One of them can be a bench and the other one a piano stand, and you can play piano on-the-run

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Perfect. One of them can be a bench and the other one a piano stand, and you can play piano on-the-run

LOL That's a super cool idea, practicing while also traveling by using creepy (and creeping) robots. Imagine how that sight would scare the s**t out of people on the streets laugh

Last edited by CyberGene; 08/18/19 05:42 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
A
A
very nice....! You need also another music rest wink
I bought the Yamaha: https://www.thomann.de/de/yamaha_tyros_music_rest.htm
You can set the screws for the VPC. It looks far better than the Kawai music rest and has larger width.

Last edited by aphexdisklavier; 08/19/19 05:57 AM.

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aphexdisklavier
very nice....! You need also another music rest wink
I bought the Yamaha: https://www.thomann.de/de/yamaha_tyros_music_rest.htm
You can set the screws for the VPC. It looks far better than the Kawai music rest and has larger width.

It looks like the OP is using a monitor or tablet though. Don't need much of a music rest for those.

[Linked Image]

A
A

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
how do you past the image, piano world only give you option to add a link to an image?

Last edited by Jitin; 08/19/19 09:33 AM.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission