2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Being new on this forum I would like to ask you how long have you been learning the Piano and why did you decide to start doing it.? What's your purpose? Are you doing it is just for fun or have professional hopes? Are you self-learning or have a teacher?

In my case I've learned as a child and now I had a "nostalgia" about it and decided to learn (self-learning) again (30 years have passed since), just for fun.

I've seen that many of you are in this forum for over 5 years, do you still consider yourself a beginner?

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
#dementiaprevention smile

I've been playing for about 5 years...joined 6 yrs ago but took a 1 year break. I consider myself an intermediate, began in early to mid 40's, and will never, ever play in any professional capacity. I have a teacher, who helps with things that are not obvious to me such as technique, analysis, etc, but do a lot of self motivated learning through this forum and other means.

I love music, always have, love learning, love the beauty of the sound the piano produces, and hope this will keep my mind keen for years to come.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
By the way, bookmarked at the top of this page, is a thread entitled Why Do You Play The Piano that you might like to read through if you have a few hours!!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

N
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
N
Some friends/acquaintances keep asking me what I am going "to do" with the piano. I always tell them this is just for me, it is a serious hobby. I have been taking lessons with a teacher for 8 years and am 70, so obviously I have no illusions of a career in music. I just love it and the thrill of playing some of my favorite music is wonderful--I think I would say I am advanced intermediate but far enough along that there is a world of gorgeous music available. Also, I think learning a new/difficult skill keeps your mind sharp (hoping at least).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Have a look at the ABF Survey 2018 version

I didn't play for about 35 years, then restarted about 9 years ago. I love music and as long as I'm having fun I'm happy.

I'm certainly not a beginner anymore, but I am still here in the Adult Beginners Forum. That's been sort of a touchy topic over the years. Many of us have been here for years and are not going to leave just because we are no longer beginners. We still have something to contribute, I think.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I decided to learn piano in late 2012, so I am coming up for seven years at this. With the exception of the first month or so when I realised how difficult this was, I have always had a teacher (although my first two teachers were simply guides). I took up piano because I was nearing the end of my working career, and although my main hobby back then was long distance running, I thought I needed a second hobby. It was shortly after I started piano that doctors told me I should stop running or face the consequences, so I stopped running immediately and concentrated on piano. Although I had played acoustic guitar for forty years, I had never taken it seriously and I knew virtually no theory. I had thought about getting serious about guitar but I wanted to start something from scratch, and the piano was quite appealing.

I don't consider myself a beginner anymore, I like to think I am seven years into a ten year apprenticeship. However signs are I might be held back a year (or more) smirk

I have often wondered why I do this; the effort and expense I have put in to be able to play a relatively few number of pieces has been huge. I seem to derive more satisfaction from the learning than the finished piece. Which was exactly the sort of runner I was: I enjoyed the training much more than the event.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
Have a look at the ABF Survey 2018 version

I didn't play for about 35 years, then restarted about 9 years ago. I love music and as long as I'm having fun I'm happy.

I'm certainly not a beginner anymore, but I am still here in the Adult Beginners Forum. That's been sort of a touchy topic over the years. Many of us have been here for years and are not going to leave just because we are no longer beginners. We still have something to contribute, I think.

Sam

We can rename it the Adult Non-Advanced Forum. Or Adult Starter/Restarter Forum. Adult Pianist Forum. Whatever. It’s all fine!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

F
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
F
Stuff that I can play rapidly becomes uninteresting. So I don't play stuff that I can actually play. I'm not giving concerts so there really isn't a "finished product" to be created and maintained.

The stuff that I can't play (and that is therefore interesting) gets more complex as time goes on, though.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by SarahGeoffrey
I would like to ask you how long have you been learning the Piano and why did you decide to start doing it.? What's your purpose? Are you doing it is just for fun or have professional hopes? Are you self-learning or have a teacher?

In my case I've learned as a child and now I had a "nostalgia" about it and decided to learn (self-learning) again (30 years have passed since), just for fun.

Many of us here are in this category.

The typical trajectory of an adult re-starter amateur pianist is: lessons in childhood (endured or enjoyed, as the case may be), lessons stopped voluntarily a few years later or because life took over (inconsequential stuff like relationships, marriage, children.......even jobs for some of us cry), then a sense that something is missing from one's psyche (like tickling the ivories), a realization that time is short and that one needs to regain essential lost skills before one becomes too decrepit. And - for some of us - a regret that we didn't continue lessons for a lot, lot longer when they were available to us for free (well, when your parents are paying, they're free smirk ), because we could have been playing Rach 3 in Carnegie Hall now instead of struggling with Op.36/1 (or BWV 784, as the case may be). And so, we make up for lost time, as best we can. Or maybe not as best we can, as evidenced by quite a number of threads here, by people who flit from one thing to another instead of doing the one thing that will get them to their ultimate goal without getting sidetracked into blind alleys........

I suspect that it's only a small minority who took to piano like an orca to a seal (or a duck to water), and loved the piano and its rep right from the start and never wanted to give it up, come what may. Probably many more fell in and out of love. While others dabbled with others before returning to their one true love.

Just like life, really......... 2hearts ha wow

If music be the food of love, play on!
P
P
I'm like a few here on the PW forum...I've played guitar for 30+ years, rock and then classical but got bored with rock and never was very good at classical. I decided to take up piano (because I've always wanted to) and this seemed like a good change, a new challenge.

I started with a keyboard but got a hankering for an acoustic piano so I bought an upright.

My aim is to play simple solo pieces for myself and family to enjoy and to accompany myself and family singing christmas songs and anything else we want to.

I've been playing 8 months now but you'd never know it by my skill level. lol.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I took lessons in my youth. Got to grade level 8 pieces in late teens. Life happened and piano went the wayside for a good 10+ years. I missed it. I brought a digital piano and have been playing on and off ever since. I play more show tunes and I play once in a while for church. Hope to tackle some advanced pieces again as time allows. Piano has been my one true form of relaxing.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
F
F
I tried Violin in elementary school but had no real interest in it (my parents idea). Later I tried to self study Guitar but never got past an F chord. I just wasn't serious about it. A few years ago I encountered a few articles about how seniors who studied new things were much more successful in staving off brain decay. Having lost my father to dementia I thought I should give it a try and since I never had any luck with strings I thought I'd try a keyboard. I also have an extra motivation in that I am friends with a lot of the local musicians where I live and frequently meet them socially. They seem like they are having fun when they play at parties so I have made it my goal to be able to play at backyard parties without embarrassing myself. If nothing else it gives me a goal to strive for. Besides, if I succeed at that I might get invited to more parties! smile

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
"If nothing else it gives me a goal to strive for. Besides, if I succeed at that I might get invited to more parties! smile"

Don't you realize that playing piano is not the instrument for parties. You need to go back to the guitar for that cool yippie wow

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I had a few lessons as a child that didn't go anywhere. Within a month the piano was out of the house.

In my high school days I picked up playing violin. My music teacher said that if we wanted to get anywhere in music we would have to pick up piano playing as a second instrument even if it is not our main instrument. Our class did a research project on a composer. We picked J.S. Bach and the piece we used for the class presentation was "French Suite #3" performed on a harpsichord.

Over the years I considered piano too hard to learn because of hand coordination. I watched a man play a few demo Pop songs on a keyboard with L-chords. After a decade of hesitation, I finally got myself a keyboard. Having a keyboard at home is for practical reasons when you live in a building with neighbors around you need headphones at night.

The first few years I relied on online resources for learning and eventually enrolled in adult group classes. I like the social atmosphere of having other people around than 1-on-1 with a teacher.

The last pieces I worked on were Handel and a Bach Sarabande. I considered many like myself to be at the intermediate level. Different people get into various genre of music. Some don't read music very well or at all but play Jazz & Pop tunes by ear while others are good readers and play Classical. You can't really compare everybody with the same yardstick.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
What happened to the OP?

For hose that have not, might want to add to the similar stickie thread at the top of the page.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I am not learning in the sense of having a teacher. I had two wonderful teachers in my youth and I have never since felt the need for another. I did take composition lessons from a celebrated local composer in my thirties but it was a total waste of time, through neither his fault nor mine. I simply preferred my “wrong” sounds to his “right” ones. It wasn’t until my late fifties that I understood myself and commenced building my own universe of sound through improvisation, and after retiring, the musical gates opened wide. In that peculiar sense I am indeed an adult beginner, despite having played since I was a small child. The compulsion to create piano music is ineluctable, solipsistic, and has no motive external to embodying my psyche in abstract sound.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission