2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
52 registered members (Beemer, Coker, AB99, 36251, BachToTheFuture, ChrisGoesPiano, Carey, 14 invisible), 412 guests, and 509 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Question about Henle font #2880459 08/16/19 10:06 PM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I was looking through my old scores the other day and I came to a conclusion about the font which had me asking whether or not to contact the editor multiple questions which don't make any damn sense. Get this, the preface doesn't include information about the work in one opus while in other opuses it does contain the backstory to the compositional process. I tried to contact Henle to ask them what their reasoning is for the purpose of this inconsistency and they did not get back to me. I contacted iTunes to try and get a refund on my Beethoven symphonies which I purchased in 2014 for a little upwards of 50 US dollars, which, is really more now adjusting for inflation, obviously. Suddenly I was unable to download my album from the cloud when I've done it many times before. Now instead of the entire album I can only access like 8 tracks. I don't understand why if the publishers would take down the album then there would still be some tracks available? Makes no sense. So they told me that I did not qualify for a refund which I think is no way to treat a customer for crying out loud. I told them I will not longer be buying anything from their platform. They told me to go to Deutsche Gramaphone about it since they were the ones who pulled the music from iTunes and they got no response back to me. So it's plain to see there is a pattern of disrespect towards the customer. I bust my ass for months saving up for that album and this is the disrespect I get. I'll never by another CD from anyone outside of the US or you're just asking for trouble. Check this out I went down to the local music store and they had urtext for everything except for Debussy's Alto Saxophone rhapsody which I heard on the radio today and I was pissed that they did not have this. This is the problem with the classic music world which is music stores only stock the most popular pieces even though the sax rhapsody gets a fair bit of play time. I was suprised when I looked this piece up and it was only 10 minutes long. From what I could gather it seemed like a much longer piece. Debussy's unique developments or something lol. Let me just set one thing straight, yeah he's one of the greatest composers. A pantheon composer, literally. But, his developments are lacking. When he submitted his Danse Bohemiene to P. Tchaikovsky Tchaikovsky said that it had some pretty ideas but were seriously lacking in proper developement and form, and after reading a few standard theory books I have to agree with Master Tchaikovsky on this one. By the time Debussy was working on his Faune he was experimenting with form based on the tritone which scientifically erases all logic and form, in proper definition, I mean. With that piece he exploded modern music into the modern day. Let me be clear he never actually wrote the rest of the Faune which is a shame. I mean imagine how amazing that piece would be if the mere prelude was that good? It's actually insane. But then La mer came along and yeah well you know the rest even though I think it's less melodic and more about texture and imagery I prefer Faune most days. People underestimate Debussy's orchestration because he was not of the lineage of Rimsky Korsakov and Borodin, but Korsakov's orchestration was innovative compared to Tchaikovsky who did little with Glinka's mastery. And Borodin's usage of orchestral minimalism in Steppes was revolutionary, possibly one of the most cinematic pieces in history. Imagine what he would have done if he actually had film. You listen to that piece and it's like you're there. Debussy was a big fan of Chopin but Debussy rolled his octaves and even his chords, all the time. He said that an octave played without rolling (slightly) is lifeless, and yet Chopin expressed disdain for rolling unless instructed to by the music? Mindbogglering how these two unique masters disagree on this issue. But that is a subject for another thread. Back to the issue at hand here we were talking about the font in my Henle texts which seems to be copying a very specific font which I can't place anywhere but I know I've seen it. Take a peek inside one of your editions and tell me if you know what I'm talking about. I tried to look it up online but there wasn't any information about it, so it's like what the heck. I really want to know because I'm working on my own editions with Sibelius and I'm shooting for that look and font is absolutely essential to the overall feel and experience.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Question about Henle font [Re: JoelW] #2880486 08/17/19 02:31 AM
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Isn’t there a rule about PWI?

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Question about Henle font [Re: JoelW] #2880487 08/17/19 02:39 AM
johnstaf Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
Talking about fonts...

Re: Question about Henle font [Re: JoelW] #2880507 08/17/19 05:23 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
we have a post written asking for help with fonts but written in a wild disjointed style in a difficult to read font. Seems like another hoax post. It can’t really be from someone wanting help.

Re: Question about Henle font [Re: dogperson] #2880536 08/17/19 08:19 AM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
we have a post written asking for help with fonts but written in a wild disjointed style in a difficult to read font. Seems like another hoax post. It can’t really be from someone wanting help.

thumb

[Linked Image]
Re: Question about Henle font [Re: JoelW] #2880733 08/17/19 07:59 PM
WhoDwaldi Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well, the Black Forest Gnomes quit hand engraving notation for Henle around 2000, but I'm not sure they ever had anything to do with the text material. 🎼😁

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: Question about Henle font [Re: JoelW] #2880737 08/17/19 08:14 PM
WhoDwaldi Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I see what you mean: the one on the left (older Chopin Etudes) is two-column bold, and the one on the right (newer Bach WTC) is three-column plain. Some of the older editions have front material in three-column bold(er) format.

As for the font family, it may be proprietary to Henle.

[Linked Image]

I think there is a publishing trend to use lighter, brighter looking fonts (i.e. to use less bold), which--of course--saves ink.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: Question about Henle font [Re: JoelW] #2880741 08/17/19 08:37 PM
WhoDwaldi Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
And this is the "individual" Henle for Bach's Italian Concerto. It has a brief into in the three languages and a few comments on details of the score (which usually go in the back).

[Linked Image]

I'm always seeing that distinctive W that looks like two Vs lapping over on each other in the middle. Could be the Bach Musicological Font (or something similar), but I haven't actually used that font in years. http://www.mu.qub.ac.uk/tomita/bachfont/

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Re: Question about Henle font [Re: JoelW] #2880857 08/18/19 08:27 AM
M
mcontraveos Offline
M
The type is likely a flavor of Bodoni. https://www.fonts.com/font/linotype/bodoni

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway fallboard lettering
by Lushey1 - 02/21/20 04:30 AM
How do you deal with sweaty hands?
by PracticingPianist - 02/21/20 01:34 AM
FP 90 Question...
by GWILLY - 02/21/20 12:27 AM
I am inspired to write some music
by MichaelJK - 02/20/20 10:51 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,098
Posts2,928,235
Members96,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission