2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
35 members (bxrdad1, Animisha, drumour, cygnusdei, Ben_NZ, Boboulus, clothearednincompo, DSC, David Boyce, bkem101, 5 invisible), 1,057 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2880459 08/16/19 11:06 PM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I was looking through my old scores the other day and I came to a conclusion about the font which had me asking whether or not to contact the editor multiple questions which don't make any damn sense. Get this, the preface doesn't include information about the work in one opus while in other opuses it does contain the backstory to the compositional process. I tried to contact Henle to ask them what their reasoning is for the purpose of this inconsistency and they did not get back to me. I contacted iTunes to try and get a refund on my Beethoven symphonies which I purchased in 2014 for a little upwards of 50 US dollars, which, is really more now adjusting for inflation, obviously. Suddenly I was unable to download my album from the cloud when I've done it many times before. Now instead of the entire album I can only access like 8 tracks. I don't understand why if the publishers would take down the album then there would still be some tracks available? Makes no sense. So they told me that I did not qualify for a refund which I think is no way to treat a customer for crying out loud. I told them I will not longer be buying anything from their platform. They told me to go to Deutsche Gramaphone about it since they were the ones who pulled the music from iTunes and they got no response back to me. So it's plain to see there is a pattern of disrespect towards the customer. I bust my ass for months saving up for that album and this is the disrespect I get. I'll never by another CD from anyone outside of the US or you're just asking for trouble. Check this out I went down to the local music store and they had urtext for everything except for Debussy's Alto Saxophone rhapsody which I heard on the radio today and I was pissed that they did not have this. This is the problem with the classic music world which is music stores only stock the most popular pieces even though the sax rhapsody gets a fair bit of play time. I was suprised when I looked this piece up and it was only 10 minutes long. From what I could gather it seemed like a much longer piece. Debussy's unique developments or something lol. Let me just set one thing straight, yeah he's one of the greatest composers. A pantheon composer, literally. But, his developments are lacking. When he submitted his Danse Bohemiene to P. Tchaikovsky Tchaikovsky said that it had some pretty ideas but were seriously lacking in proper developement and form, and after reading a few standard theory books I have to agree with Master Tchaikovsky on this one. By the time Debussy was working on his Faune he was experimenting with form based on the tritone which scientifically erases all logic and form, in proper definition, I mean. With that piece he exploded modern music into the modern day. Let me be clear he never actually wrote the rest of the Faune which is a shame. I mean imagine how amazing that piece would be if the mere prelude was that good? It's actually insane. But then La mer came along and yeah well you know the rest even though I think it's less melodic and more about texture and imagery I prefer Faune most days. People underestimate Debussy's orchestration because he was not of the lineage of Rimsky Korsakov and Borodin, but Korsakov's orchestration was innovative compared to Tchaikovsky who did little with Glinka's mastery. And Borodin's usage of orchestral minimalism in Steppes was revolutionary, possibly one of the most cinematic pieces in history. Imagine what he would have done if he actually had film. You listen to that piece and it's like you're there. Debussy was a big fan of Chopin but Debussy rolled his octaves and even his chords, all the time. He said that an octave played without rolling (slightly) is lifeless, and yet Chopin expressed disdain for rolling unless instructed to by the music? Mindbogglering how these two unique masters disagree on this issue. But that is a subject for another thread. Back to the issue at hand here we were talking about the font in my Henle texts which seems to be copying a very specific font which I can't place anywhere but I know I've seen it. Take a peek inside one of your editions and tell me if you know what I'm talking about. I tried to look it up online but there wasn't any information about it, so it's like what the heck. I really want to know because I'm working on my own editions with Sibelius and I'm shooting for that look and font is absolutely essential to the overall feel and experience.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Isn’t there a rule about PWI?

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Talking about fonts...

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
we have a post written asking for help with fonts but written in a wild disjointed style in a difficult to read font. Seems like another hoax post. It can’t really be from someone wanting help.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
we have a post written asking for help with fonts but written in a wild disjointed style in a difficult to read font. Seems like another hoax post. It can’t really be from someone wanting help.

thumb

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well, the Black Forest Gnomes quit hand engraving notation for Henle around 2000, but I'm not sure they ever had anything to do with the text material. 🎼😁

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I see what you mean: the one on the left (older Chopin Etudes) is two-column bold, and the one on the right (newer Bach WTC) is three-column plain. Some of the older editions have front material in three-column bold(er) format.

As for the font family, it may be proprietary to Henle.

[Linked Image]

I think there is a publishing trend to use lighter, brighter looking fonts (i.e. to use less bold), which--of course--saves ink.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
And this is the "individual" Henle for Bach's Italian Concerto. It has a brief into in the three languages and a few comments on details of the score (which usually go in the back).

[Linked Image]

I'm always seeing that distinctive W that looks like two Vs lapping over on each other in the middle. Could be the Bach Musicological Font (or something similar), but I haven't actually used that font in years. http://www.mu.qub.ac.uk/tomita/bachfont/

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
M
M
The type is likely a flavor of Bodoni. https://www.fonts.com/font/linotype/bodoni

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Farewell Cassie, we hardly knew ye
by c++ - 10/23/21 08:49 PM
What is this piano?
by Gleb1 - 10/23/21 05:55 PM
Lesson cost in Worcester, MA area
by casualappraiser - 10/23/21 05:02 PM
What do you think of Alan Fraser?
by ranjit - 10/23/21 03:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,716
Posts3,141,673
Members103,092
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission