Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
83 registered members (Bill McKaig,RPT, AlphaBravoCharlie, anotherscott, Blague, Animisha, 5penguins, 20/20 Vision, Biggoof16, barbaram, 5150917069, 15 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Stage vs home digital #2879873
08/15/19 11:21 AM
08/15/19 11:21 AM
Los Angeles
Anjru Offline OP
Anjru  Offline OP

Los Angeles
Hi.

A bunch of years ago I splurged and bought a Yamaha Dgx 640. After a while I upgraded to a Roland fp7f. Now I’m thinking of upgrading again.

I could go with something like Roland’s Fp90 or a Nord. And I could wait a few months till after NAMM, to see what gets released.

So, a few questions. As a non industry professional, is it easy to get into Namm? I studying piano. But does that qualify me as a student? Or do I need to be enrolled in some college? If so, any here have a workaround?

Next questions, hopefully more interesting.

Since I’m not gigging, there’s no need for a stage piano. Yet I wonder if I’m missing out by not getting one?

all the additional sounds, bells and whistles, layering and such might motivate me to spend more time at the keyboard. But I’m intimidated by all the extra functionality.

how do I go about learning to make use of all the niceties of a stage piano?

By the bye, I did try searching to see if this topic has already been addressed here but didn’t find anything. If it has all I need is a pointer or two?

Last edited by Anjru; 08/15/19 11:24 AM.
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Stage vs home digital [Re: Anjru] #2879895
08/15/19 01:04 PM
08/15/19 01:04 PM
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Hi Arjru,

No pint in going to NAMM as it's so noisy even with headphones.
You can wait if you want. I would go to a big digital piano shop and test lots of instruments and get a feel for what you value and need.

Kind regards,

Doug.

Ps, Even if something is released at Namm, it won't be available for a while after.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: Stage vs home digital [Re: Anjru] #2879925
08/15/19 02:53 PM
08/15/19 02:53 PM
Los Angeles
Anjru Offline OP
Anjru  Offline OP

Los Angeles
No Pints at NAMM? Maybe if I don’t go liter in the day there’ll be some.

Been to Guitar Center and Sam Ash. They don’t have an Fp90. I could buy one, test it for a month and return it. Not sure I want to go that route just yet.

The piano stores in L.A. don’t seem to have much in the way of digital. More acoustic, Steinways, Bosendorfers, Yamahas, Young Changs, like that. And I haven’t found a digital piano store, at least not specifically.

Hence my interest in NAMM. I figure I might get an idea of what’s out there, even if it’s not the best venue for a sound test.

Re: Stage vs home digital [Re: Anjru] #2879941
08/15/19 03:59 PM
08/15/19 03:59 PM
UK
Z
ZeroZero Offline
ZeroZero  Offline
Z

UK
For a stage piano check out the Roland RD2000. This has both beautiful action and beautiful pianos + some very good electric pianos, vintage and a lot more. It's a top pro piasno at a real good price

Re: Stage vs home digital [Re: Anjru] #2879942
08/15/19 04:00 PM
08/15/19 04:00 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Now and again I have a look in at my local piano shop, to see what's new. So I try out anything of interest, and sometimes stuff I wouldn't normally dream of buying.
There's usually a couple of small grands amongst the digitals, which makes for a decent comparison, touchwise and soundwise.

I believe touch and sound often walk hand in hand, for an acoustic and a digital. A dull piano will feel heavy; you hit it harder to sharpen up the tone and volume, and vice versa.

The current crop of reasonably priced slab pianos (I'll not say stage, because they are multipurpose) are good, and the tone is fuller than one might expect, in most cases. You'll know your DGX was pretty good too, and the action is OK for all but the most demanding pieces, unless you have fat fingers. Most other digitals are better in that respect, so you can't really go wrong.

The home pianos; I found almost all but the cheapest to be unacceptably heavy in tone, to the point of unpleasant. Compared to said baby grands, well, they didn't. The convenience of a slab is a big factor; it'll sit in a corner and still sound good whereas some cabinet pianos need re-siting, or pulling away from the wall. Mind you, they do look good. These are some of my opinions only.
You'll obviously look into this yourself, of course; it's a fun thing to do if you take your time. There's a load of stuff out there. Happy fishing.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Stage vs home digital [Re: Anjru] #2880000
08/15/19 07:01 PM
08/15/19 07:01 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
How do you learn all the functions and buttons?

. . . You read the manual page by page,
. . . and learn one button (or function) at a time.

Many of the buttons will be useless for you. Some -- like the EQ settings -- might be very nice to have.

Even without all that stuff, a good stage piano (current generation) should sound at least as good as your FP-7F. In particular, the sustain time of the notes is considerably longer on newer DP's -- more like an acoustic piano. And your pedalling will have to adjust to that.

Does the FP-7F have loudspeakers built-in? If so, you'll probably have to get new amps and speakers (or "powered monitors" which contain both) for your new RD-2000 or CP-4 or whatever. Budget for them.

The FP-90 has built-in speakers, reputed to be OK by some users here. You could start with them, and get external amp/speakers if you find them inadequate.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Stage vs home digital [Re: Anjru] #2880288
08/16/19 02:23 PM
08/16/19 02:23 PM
Los Angeles
Anjru Offline OP
Anjru  Offline OP

Los Angeles
I already have some Yamaha 8” powered speakers. So I’m good there. The fp7f does have built in speakers. Sometimes I play with them all on for a little extra depth.

I’ve been playing with a few different keyboards at my local Guitar Center, the Yamaha cp88, a roland rd 2000 and the Nord stage 3. The roland is certainly more powerful than what I’ve got. The yamaha is a beauty. And the Nord has some awesome sounds. Not sure I need all the additional functionality. I mean, I don’t. But maybe if I were to have it i’d find a use for it?

Re: Stage vs home digital [Re: Anjru] #2880308
08/16/19 03:01 PM
08/16/19 03:01 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G

Buying a stage piano tends to "save" some money in the low to mid end of the market because you aren't spending money on a big wooden enclosure and heavier shipping. You usually get a lot of extraneous "gigging functions" but you wouldn't be the first to get a stage piano solely for home use.

When you start going up-market ($2500+) is where you begin seeing differences in the cabinets that you can't really get in stage pianos (better sound engines, prelim actions, etc.) But you'll always be paying more for the enclosure, finish and speakers.

There are a lot of good values in home stage pianos imo. As you know, the FP-90 is a great one. So is the Kawai ES8 and the Yamaha P-515 (it's essentially a portable CLP-645). At the high end of the market, the Kawai MP11SE gets you the best action available in a stage format for less than you can get a comparable console with the same action.

So you're in good company with this question, it's a wise one to consider.

PS: when I had a stage piano, I used almost zero of the extra functions. Just turned it on and played piano, as that's all I cared about.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
IVst in midi controller or digital piano
by fraska. 09/23/19 02:36 AM
I don’t know why I bother
by WeakLeftHand. 09/22/19 11:30 PM
lost 10gb off ssd just installing free Kontakt 6
by MooganDavid. 09/22/19 09:42 PM
Piano purchase
by Biggoof16. 09/22/19 08:37 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,176
Posts2,872,321
Members94,481
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission