2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
35 members (chopinetto, IosPlayer, DreamPiano80, Crocus, hbejinha, 36251, David B, 6 invisible), 427 guests, and 202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A new musical tidal wave - Jacob Collier
jazztpt #2880072 08/16/19 04:31 AM
Ah, yes. I remember that. Bought KEYSCAPES shortly after seeing that improv. (Although I have to admit, I’d probably buy anything from Eric sight unheard even.)

Originally Posted by jazztpt
I have sung his praises on here before, must admit I prefer it when he does this:

TH
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
indigo_dave #2880234 08/16/19 11:41 AM
P
P
This is so wholesome and light and happy!

indigo_dave #2880262 08/16/19 12:58 PM
I
OP Offline
I

The appreciation of Bach is a huge plus. Add the fact that he's actually hearing/perceiving the voice leading. But Jacob has many dimensions musically speaking. His grasp of polyrhythms for example.

I also admire his sharing of information.

Last edited by indigo_dave; 08/16/19 01:03 PM.
indigo_dave #2991928 06/16/20 06:33 AM
Online Content
Looks like I’m late to the Jacob Collier train, but love this Keyscape Sessions. I first heard of him on a vid with Cory Henry which led to some guy transposing and trying to explain what they did. Mind blowing. Thought I’d share.

Leon Waves transpose/explain
[video:youtube]v=vrzEq1wphmg [/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrzEq1wphmg

Original C Blues Jam session
[video:youtube]v=DTiOWd929n8[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTiOWd929n8

code geekery: #failed at my coding attempts in preview so added the direct links below. I thought maybe it was the tinyurl the syntax didn’t like , but it won’t take the v id or full url either.

Silver

Last edited by Silverati 7; 06/16/20 06:36 AM.
indigo_dave #2992437 06/17/20 04:25 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Interesting that you revived this thread Silverati. It gives me another opportunity for Jacob evangelism. For those who feel he's just fooling around and wish he would emulate their jazz piano heroes or whatever mold they wish he'd settle into. He won a Grammy for arranging "Moon River". He's also midway thru releasing a 4 album set called "Djesse" (I bought vol 2). He's too massive to box himself into a familiar box. Arnold Schoenberg in his musings in Theory of Harmony said that people cling to their cliches. Like sitting in a comfortable chair at the hearth. I read he got hissed on some occasions in Vienna.

Moon River

Lua (featuring Maro)

indigo_dave #2992442 06/17/20 04:41 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I think he's probably an alien. How can he play so many instruments so well and effortlessly? And sing so well (check out his microtonal singing - geez). And be such an effective and personable communicator and teacher? Not to mention his mastery of the technology that he uses.

Having said all that, while I enjoy listening to most of his music, he's not near the top of my list of favorite artists. I guess his style (for lack of a better word) doesn't always fully connect with me.

Sir Lurksalot #2992597 06/18/20 07:52 AM
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by Sir Lurksalot
I think he's probably an alien. How can he play so many instruments so well and effortlessly? And sing so well (check out his microtonal singing - geez). And be such an effective and personable communicator and teacher? Not to mention his mastery of the technology that he uses.

Having said all that, while I enjoy listening to most of his music, he's not near the top of my list of favorite artists. I guess his style (for lack of a better word) doesn't always fully connect with me.

My confession: I'm not fond of Keith Jarrett's solo improvised recordings. I've followed Keith for more than 40 years. I love his quartet recordings in the '70's. I like many of his odd little side recordings. Everyone develops preferences. This does not in any way lesson the quality of Jarrett's music.

As for Jacob, I've read some people say that they don't hear anything special. When I hear this assessment of his music - I have to assume that the folks hearing nothing special lack the developed ears to perceive the brilliance. Of course no one wants to hear that. You can listen and not really care for it, but it's doesn't lesson the brilliance.

indigo_dave #2992886 06/19/20 08:43 AM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I don't think anyone fail to recognise his talent. What I find problematic is that it that every video is a showcase of sorts. And that's the whole point of YouTube, but he doesn't need to do that anymore. He should just concentrate on a solid artistic statement instead and I would appreciate him much more.

indigo_dave #2993083 06/19/20 04:52 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
My confession: I'm not fond of Keith Jarrett's solo improvised recordings. I've followed Keith for more than 40 years. I love his quartet recordings in the '70's. I like many of his odd little side recordings. Everyone develops preferences. This does not in any way lesson the quality of Jarrett's music.

As for Jacob, I've read some people say that they don't hear anything special. When I hear this assessment of his music - I have to assume that the folks hearing nothing special lack the developed ears to perceive the brilliance. Of course no one wants to hear that. You can listen and not really care for it, but it's doesn't lesson the brilliance.

Well said. What stirs one person's soul won't necessarily move another's. In my case, if I want to be amazed, I'll watch one of Jacob's videos. But if I want to feel my spirit soar, I'll listen to Beethoven's 7th (or The Köln Concert wink )

Last edited by Sir Lurksalot; 06/19/20 04:52 PM.
indigo_dave #2993401 06/20/20 01:54 PM
M
M
I'm one of those who find Jacob Collier music boring. Yes, no question he has amazing ears for playing and arranging microtonal music. Knows his way around a DAW and can create recordings with hundreds and hundreds of tracks. In long run his recorded music is too over processed and lacking life. To me I enjoy hearing Jacob more when he's in a stripped down environment of playing live or playing to other groups where he's not the whole show. Then the real Jacob starts to reveal himself.

It's like when playing an album for a non-musician friend. You are all excited and grinning and they are sitting there like that's nice, hey want to listen to some Herbie Hancock? If you have to explain to them why something is good, then maybe the music isn't doing it's job to move them.

indigo_dave #2993767 06/21/20 01:31 PM
Online Content
Indigo_Dave - Like I said I ran into the transcription video and had to find out more about both Jacob Collier and Cory Henry. I’m always trying to find living people to listen to. I also feel the same about Keith Jarret. I saw him live once and blown A-WAY. Went to the local CD store and listened to something the owner suggested and hated it. Then again the first time I heard Straight No Chaser I didn’t like it either. I got turned on to Thelonious Monk via a book. In the book the main character plays Well You Needn’t and there are snippets of staff/musical notation in the book. I looked it up, and now love Monk.

KlinkKlonk- first killer name! smile As far at Jacob’s talent or lack of ... musicality, making something that sounds more like music vs. showing off cool things he’s learned. I think we all have to remember he’s what ...still in his twenties? His vids were made when he was a teen. Most “kids” are all about social media and taking lots of selfies so the self-absorbed nature I don’t blame him for; I think it’s partially due to his age. Also he may have a hard time finding others his age who understood what he was trying to do. He had to do ALL the parts. I think a lot of his videos are his testing things out, seeing if he can do it. Watch him teach a master class and you can see he’s playing, playing around, more than showing off I think. I algree with you we give him a a few more years and he’ll find his own way. Right now, he is trying EVERYTHING .

MR. Shed - totally agree, like said above I prefer him just at the piano. Liking his music... maybe it’s a matter of taste or combination of taste and understanding. I read he comes from a family that sung Bach for fun?!

It kills me he can tell how out tune most pianos are, due to relative tuning. That’s beyond having perfect pitch to me, but I have Zero ear.. is there a thing called having reverse pitch? hehe

He is alien, but we’ve seen this alien before. Not my taste but doesn’t the singer from Maroon 5 also play a bunch of instruments? My grandfather could hear a song once, and replicate the melody on piano, guitar, clarinet and the violin. I’m not saying if he had access to lots of instruments and the time and dedication to learn them all my grandfathers would have been a Jacob, but I think money and access has a lot to do with it also Who’s parents can or even will buy their kid a guitar and a bass, drum set, more than one keyboard at a time?

Here’s a quote from 2016 article about his room. “ It’s an Aladdin’s cave of musical instruments. Ukuleles, basses, tenor guitars, bouzoukis, banjos and mandolins hang from the ceiling. A Bengali ektara and a balafon stand atop an upright piano. A drum kit and a double bass are surrounded by tablas and djembeles. Synthesisers are piled on top of synthesisers.”

Yes, you could give me that room and I’d still only pluck out a version of Stairway to Heaven that would make even the most patient Guitar Center employee cringe, but I think there are more aliens. They just may not all have the time, money and high speed internet required. smile

Last edited by Silverati 7; 06/21/20 01:34 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Comparing Pramberger v W. Hoffman
by KazzyO - 07/15/20 09:59 PM
Scarlatti and Me
by jon-nyc - 07/15/20 06:01 PM
Isao Tomita's electronic arrangmenet of Mussorgsky...
by CianistAndPomposer - 07/15/20 03:37 PM
Chromatic Layout for Pianos
by Lawrence Fields - 07/15/20 01:41 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,282
Posts2,981,205
Members97,785
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission