Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
58 registered members (Abdol, amad23, AlphaBravoCharlie, ando, barbaram, 5penguins, Aristede, 36251, 5150917069, 12 invisible), 1,068 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. #2879362
08/13/19 07:44 PM
08/13/19 07:44 PM
S
Spno Offline OP
Spno  Offline OP
S

Just as a main practice piano which would you recommend and why? (i.e. forget convenience etc. features of the N1X)...a real baby grand is out of the question (space)...N1X as that's a price limit; I'd hope to get a decent U3 or something similar for about the same or a little less...thanks!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Spno] #2879369
08/13/19 08:00 PM
08/13/19 08:00 PM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
I did my diploma on a 1977 UX which was near new at the time. It's essentially a U3, but the premium YAMAHA upright at the time.

I'd be using an acoustic if possible - you will do the exam on a Grand I'd assume, and other pianos at your teacher's, Masterclasses etc will almost certainly be acoustic.

The temptation with a hybrid or digital is to adjust the volume - and that can change the way you play.

[I remember my teacher telling me of a student who always played middle D very loud (and a few other notes, but not so bad) - my teacher ended up working that at home, the piano was faulty and required significantly more force to play D. The student learned to play perfectly on the faulty piano, but had trouble adapting to my teacher's good piano.]

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Spno] #2879373
08/13/19 08:13 PM
08/13/19 08:13 PM
Rockville, MD
Seeker Offline
500 Post Club Member
Seeker  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rockville, MD
Well, both the U3 and the N1X have "upright" actions, so, I'd go with the U3, because it is an acoustic.
If you could find a used N2 at a great price, one could argue this could be better than the U3, because the N2 has a grand action.
I've played the N1, N2 and the N3. I liked the feel and sound of the N2 better than the N1.
The N2 is, IMO (please don't scream at me fellow PianoWorlders if you disagree), in the sweet spot for performance vs. price in the Yamaha hybrid lineup.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Spno] #2879375
08/13/19 08:17 PM
08/13/19 08:17 PM
S
Spno Offline OP
Spno  Offline OP
S

"The temptation with a hybrid or digital is to adjust the volume - and that can change the way you play." Ironically, I find I always end up adjusting the volume on a digital to about the same as an acoustic...maybe a little under. But I know what u mean.

I'm actually really good at noticing problems with pianos, too good for my own good to be honest...but I can adjust given a bit of time...although not on the fly like some.

I much prefer a grand action to an upright action, it's apples and oranges to me...but I wonder if you're still better off with a real piano, even with an inferior action...

Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Seeker] #2879380
08/13/19 08:26 PM
08/13/19 08:26 PM
S
Spno Offline OP
Spno  Offline OP
S

Originally Posted by Seeker
Well, both the U3 and the N1X have "upright" actions, so, I'd go with the U3, because it is an acoustic.
If you could find a used N2 at a great price, one could argue this could be better than the U3, because the N2 has a grand action.

N1X is the new N1. Grand action. https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/avantgrand/n1x/features.html

...I have heard the N2 is great, but out of my budget...

Last edited by Spno; 08/13/19 08:28 PM.
Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Spno] #2879382
08/13/19 08:41 PM
08/13/19 08:41 PM
Not too far North of Los Angel...
L
Learux Offline

500 Post Club Member
Learux  Offline

500 Post Club Member
L

Not too far North of Los Angel...
It depends, will you be able to get in more practice time on the digital it is porobably the better choice?

Being able to turn down the volume is also a plus.

I have very little problem going from digital back to acoustic and vice versa.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Learux] #2879390
08/13/19 09:04 PM
08/13/19 09:04 PM
S
Spno Offline OP
Spno  Offline OP
S

Originally Posted by Learux
It depends, will you be able to get in more practice time on the digital it is porobably the better choice?

Being able to turn down the volume is also a plus.

I have very little problem going from digital back to acoustic and vice versa.

Actually much of muchness for the time being...I have a rickety 19th century upright and no complaints so far...I would have a digital piano if I got the U3, for writing etc., but I would sell my RD2000/upright to fund either for now...slightly thinking ahead that the N1X would be more flexible down the road...but actually, lets leave it as just one on one as a piano for the sake of this discussion (when I get to that road, a U3 would be easy to sell if necessary).

Last edited by Spno; 08/13/19 09:10 PM.
Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Seeker] #2879404
08/13/19 11:46 PM
08/13/19 11:46 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G

I've played the N1, N2 and the N3. I liked the feel and sound of the N2 better than the N1.
The N2 is, IMO (please don't scream at me fellow PianoWorlders if you disagree), in the sweet spot for performance vs. price in the Yamaha hybrid lineup.

You're probably thinking of the NU1/NU1X, which is a hybrid with an upright action. The N1X, as spno describes, has a grand action.

The N2 also hasn't been updated in 10 years. The N1X and N3X are new, with update sound engines and other new features.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Spno] #2879426
08/14/19 01:25 AM
08/14/19 01:25 AM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
I would suggest a U3 or a Kawai K500.Of course if you could get a used YUS5 or (used)European
130 sized piano with very good repetition qualities that would be great.Best wishes on your diploma
studies and practice.

Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Spno] #2879460
08/14/19 06:18 AM
08/14/19 06:18 AM
Philadelphia/South Jersey
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted by Spno
Just as a main practice piano which would you recommend and why? (i.e. forget convenience etc. features of the N1X)...a real baby grand is out of the question (space)...N1X as that's a price limit; I'd hope to get a decent U3 or something similar for about the same or a little less...thanks!

Great question. Both instruments will perform (assuming you find a U3 you like). I have professional musicians and colleges using this hybrid technology because of the advantages the technology brings to the table (small space, full acoustic action, very little maintenance, private practice possible).

I think it is all about what you find and what you prefer. After all, it is YOUR piano.

All the best on your studies - and keep us posted!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Spno] #2879470
08/14/19 07:49 AM
08/14/19 07:49 AM
U
U3piano Offline
U3piano  Offline
U

My opinion is if you can afford it, and don't need to be silent.. definitely go for the acoustic.

An acoustic is just a more inspiring instrument, and that's what's makes you want to come back.

I have both. An U3, and a CP33 with 2 good vst's as a silent option. Now my silent option is no hybrid grand, i know that, but the U3 is so much nicer it's no competition at all.

To me, digital sound gets boring after a while, no matter how good it is. Acoustic sound doesn't.

Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Spno] #2879478
08/14/19 08:36 AM
08/14/19 08:36 AM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
Spno - Get whichever instrument you feel most comfortable with doing all your required practice. If most of the tests and recitals are preformed on acoustics, get the U3. Although not a grand action it is much closer to the feel of the pianos on which you’ll be expected to perform. If you feel confident that you can transition easily from the N1X to acoustic grands for recitals and MasterClass and you like silent practice then get the N1X.
I took several semesters of piano at the University and practiced on my baby grand and later my C3. It always gave me a nice boost of confidence because most of my significantly younger classmates had to fight for time in the practice rooms or practice on some small keyboards in their dorm rooms.
Go to a piano store and play a U3, then check the change in feel to a piano you’re likely to encounter for recitals. Then do the same thing with the N1X. Your fingers and ears will tell you which piano will better prepare you for further piano education.
The one advantage the N1X will give you is it never needs tuning. I plan my whole day around getting my piano tuned, voiced, and regulated. But that’s me and I’m a piano nerd. Best wishes on your piano journey!

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Spno] #2879525
08/14/19 11:24 AM
08/14/19 11:24 AM
S
Spno Offline OP
Spno  Offline OP
S

Some great comments there, food for thought, thanks!

The K500/YUS5 are nice OK...U3 not a given, if I go upright it'll be something that comes up in that ballpark.

I kinda agree that the sound of a digital gets boring after a while, it's a good point, although I do love a grand action...but maybe the U3 would work out better, as I do lose concentration easily...I notice practicing on a baby grand, if I lose concentration I can take a break by improvising or just playing some easy pieces and that connects you again.

That said, I had a CLP... years ago and it worked well as a practice instrument...as it just always worked, it was easy to practice on in a very formal way, and the volume control was handy for night-time...but that was years ago...and I didn't enjoy improvising or playing it much.

Good point re jumping between all three, grand, upright, hybrid in the same place...I'll have to travel abroad to do that, but it would be worth doing OK.

My current upright has really had it, got it tuned two weeks ago and it's already getting annoying...it's about 120 years old, it was hanging in there until this year, like a tuning would last a few months anyway, but it's finally passed the winter of its life...anyway it's not something I'm going to jump into...

Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Spno] #2879539
08/14/19 12:14 PM
08/14/19 12:14 PM
U
U3piano Offline
U3piano  Offline
U

It doesn't have to be a U3 of course.

I live in Holland, and i like to check the second hand market. In a few months i have seen 2 really nice Sauter uprights offered for about 3000 to 5000 euro's. Right now there is a Sauter 120 r2 (1988) for just 3000 euro. If i didn't already have a piano i would be checking that out right now!

I haven't played a Sauter yet but i read so many positive things about them that it's already one of the best in my mind. Don't they also have that magnetic thing in the action for better repetition? (that could be nice for a "diploma" piano?)

Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Spno] #2879546
08/14/19 12:39 PM
08/14/19 12:39 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Sauter pianos make use of of the double repetition action.I find it is very similar to grand action..
I was trying out some baby grand pianos the other day and yes very similar.The tonal qualities
of a 130 Sauter piano is better than most small grands by far.
Seiler and Steingraeber 130 uprights have magnetic repetition action which also work well.

Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Spno] #2879549
08/14/19 12:45 PM
08/14/19 12:45 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Seiler has provided an 130 Indonesian made facsimile of the German made one which has the magnetic action .There is an excellent article of it in Piano Buyer.

Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Spno] #2879812
08/15/19 08:02 AM
08/15/19 08:02 AM
Rockville, MD
Seeker Offline
500 Post Club Member
Seeker  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rockville, MD
Originally Posted by Spno

N1X is the new N1. Grand action. https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/avantgrand/n1x/features.html

...I have heard the N2 is great, but out of my budget...

My bad.
I was thinking of the NU-1 which has the upright action.
I have played ALL of the ones in the lineup about a year ago - NU-1, N1, N2, N3.
As I wrote earlier, the N2, particularly if you can get it at a discount, is where I would go.
The university where I was teaching piano bought several hybrids, and they are holding up well under institutional use.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Spno] #2879952
08/15/19 04:23 PM
08/15/19 04:23 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Yes but they all have the standardized tone of digital piano.How does this go with
someone prepairing to do an advanced exam.What kind of aural imagination
will they lose out on.What will happen when faced with an accoustic grand to perform on ?
We knew someone who prepared for a performer's diploma and practiced on a Samick
upright.Yes he did extremely well !
You speak of every upright as if it is a"clanker in a church hall .
Yet I suppose you can have this candidate practice on an N2 .He better listen to a great deal
of CD's because he is going to be awfully bored listening to himself when practice's.

Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: Lady Bird] #2879972
08/15/19 05:06 PM
08/15/19 05:06 PM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Yes but they all have the standardized tone of digital piano.How does this go with
will they lose out on.What will happen when faced with an accoustic grand to perform on ?
We knew someone who prepared for a performer's diploma and practiced on a Samick
Yet I suppose you can have this candidate practice on an N2 .He better listen to a great deal
of CD's because he is going to be awfully bored listening to himself when practice's.

Digital pianos and hybrids have improved tremendously over the last 5 years. They can be incredibly expressive as the student learn how to play quietly. With the new hybrids it take a whole lotta time to get bored. You can mix voices, output to midi, run the recording to your GarageBand, and set up your own YouTube channel. For me, playing on my older digital, is always easier even if I use the heaviest action.
I seem to remember the hybrids I played last had a much better keyboard and action than any digital. Truthfully it was the sound that was unconvincing when I played it compared it to acoustic grands. I was reading about Yamaha’s Transacoustic pianos??? But I think they’re really expensive. The most important thing for diploma work is practice. Daily consistent practice on a piano. Every day. No excuses. A good upright, a good hybrid, a high quality digital will all work. So a U3, an Indonesian Seiler, a Kawai, or even a Yamaha N1X. Just my 2 cents.

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Yamaha U3 (secondhand) or N1X for diploma work? LLCM etc. [Re: j&j] #2879983
08/15/19 05:39 PM
08/15/19 05:39 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Originally Posted by j&j
Originally Posted by Lady Bird

Digital pianos and hybrids have improved tremendously over the last 5 years. They can be incredibly expressive as the student learn how to play quietly. With the new hybrids it take a whole lotta time to get bored. You can mix voices, output to midi, run the recording to your GarageBand, and set up your own YouTube channel. For me, playing on my older digital, is always easier even if I use the heaviest action.
I seem to remember the hybrids I played last had a much better keyboard and action than any digital. Truthfully it was the sound that was unconvincing when I played it compared it to acoustic grands. I was reading about Yamaha’s Transacoustic pianos??? But I think they’re really expensive. The most important thing for diploma work is practice. Daily consistent practice on a piano. Every day. No excuses. A good upright, a good hybrid, a high quality digital will all work. So a U3, an Indonesian Seiler, a Kawai, or even a Yamaha N1X. Just my 2 cents.

I disagree. You can give an artist a set of paints in standard colours BUT if for some reason you CANNOT mix those colours.It may suite some sort of contemporary art style but for many other styles you will not be successful! Apart from this the artist will become extremely bored.
Then give him a set of paints he can mix ----blue greys,greenish grey ,unusual blue green colours.
See his imagination take fire !
A standardized sound is numbing if that is all you are going to use day after day.
I know what good digital pianos sound like.They may be very useful when there is no opportunity
for an accoustic piano.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai Ca48 Best Option?
by Xenolith. 09/23/19 07:37 PM
Considering buying a used Yamaha P22
by TX-Bluebonnet. 09/23/19 07:20 PM
help me choose my DP
by yehiamansour. 09/23/19 06:36 PM
What is this piece?
by pianoloverus. 09/23/19 02:35 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,192
Posts2,872,602
Members94,485
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission