2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Egret #2879961 08/15/19 04:48 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
So now this is Bedding World? Maybe bedding retailers will advertise here? And the extra money will forestall Frank's paid-subscription model? smile

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
So now this is Bedding World? Maybe bedding retailers will advertise here? And the extra money will forestall Frank's paid-subscription model? smile

I call dibs on the piano-bed! thumb

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

I call dibs on the piano-bed! thumb

I call dibs on the Sheet Music Bed sheets smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Egret #2879969 08/15/19 04:57 PM
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Now the question becomes do the sheets have a compact folded action or are they elongated...................

EPW #2879973 08/15/19 05:10 PM
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by EPW
Now the question becomes do the sheets have a compact folded action or are they elongated...................

Let’s just say that there is no action when one is one foot from the ceiling.

Last edited by LarryK; 08/15/19 05:11 PM.
LarryK #2879975 08/15/19 05:16 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
Originally Posted by EPW

Aha! So that's why your former friend cut you off. You insinuated that nothing was happening in his bed? wink

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by EPW

Aha! So that's why your former friend cut you off. You insinuated that nothing was happening in his bed? wink

LOL, they had two kids so something happened somewhere. I guess I appeared to be ungrateful for the room, sigh. I can often come up with the wrong thing to say, sort of know it is wrong, but say it anyway, realizing a second after I have said it that I should not have said it.

Egret #2879980 08/15/19 05:31 PM
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
LOL, they had two kids so something happened somewhere. I guess I appeared to be ungrateful for the room, sigh. I can often come up with the wrong thing to say, sort of know it is wrong, but say it anyway, realizing a second after I have said it that I should not have said it.

I've been there myself many of times smile

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by magicpiano
Personally, in your place, I would spend not more than € 5-600 for a slab piano (something like a Yamaha P125 or a Roland FP-30 are good products) and then, after some years, if my daughter would want to continue on this road, I would sell the slab piano and upgrade to a better cabinet-style one (or maybe an acoustic!).

+1

And in this case, it should be my daughter to make the choice, based on how she feels about the different keyboard actions and sound timbres of the many DP models.

+1!!!! thumb

+1.

. . . Who is the "she" who doesn't think that a "slab piano" is a piano at all?

If it's your daughter, she probably doesn't know enough, yet, to make the judgement. If it's a teacher, she's wrong (IMHO):

. . .The only difference between a "slab DP" (e.g., a Roland FP-90) and a similar "cabinet DP" is in their
. . . amplifiers and speakers:

. . . . If you wish, you can add good amps and speakers to a "slab DP", and still save money against
. . . the similar cabinet DP from the same maker.

Including your daughter in the decision is psychologically useful:

. . . She's more likely to play an instrument that she helped to choose.

But the parameters of the decision ("budget", especially!) are set by you, not by her.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Egret #2880007 08/15/19 07:35 PM
It's funny that some piano teachers know so much about pianism and so little about pianos.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
...it’s just depth and height that are different, and those dimensions don’t matter much, in my opinion.

Depends on the style. When every inch counts like the interior re-design I just kicked off, vertical space also matters. For example, my designer talked to me today about putting my queen bed on a 6' platform to recover the space under it. I never had a bunk bed as a child but I get to call dibs on the top bunk as an adult! Woot!

Well, I don’t know why I didn’t post this right away, but, I think the solution to your problem is a Murphy bed that folds up against a wall. I had one when I lived in a studio in DC and it was brilliant. I had room for a little dining area during the day and could push everything aside to pull down the bed at night

LarryK #2880053 08/16/19 02:34 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
...it’s just depth and height that are different, and those dimensions don’t matter much, in my opinion.

Depends on the style. When every inch counts like the interior re-design I just kicked off, vertical space also matters. For example, my designer talked to me today about putting my queen bed on a 6' platform to recover the space under it. I never had a bunk bed as a child but I get to call dibs on the top bunk as an adult! Woot!

Well, I don’t know why I didn’t post this right away, but, I think the solution to your problem is a Murphy bed that folds up against a wall. I had one when I lived in a studio in DC and it was brilliant. I had room for a little dining area during the day and could push everything aside to pull down the bed at night

This was the picture my new interior designer showed me when she introduced the idea yesterday.
[Linked Image]
(...and MacMacMac, there is a piano in there somewhere... look harder! wink )

[Linked Image]

Egret #2880073 08/16/19 04:33 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice minimalistic design, but I would not like having to do some stairs to go to bed. And I would not like to risk banging my head to the ceiling when I get up.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Nice minimalistic design, but I would not like having to do some stairs to go to bed.

This would be for the flat in Washington DC. In our maisonette in the Amsterdam grachtenpand, our bed is on the 4th floor up a very narrow and steep spiral staircase from the 3rd. So going up to bed is already 'a thing' in one place, why not make it the same in DC too?

(obligatory: ... that is, thinking of pianos as we go up the stairs to bed!)

[Linked Image]

Egret #2880083 08/16/19 05:33 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry, but I don't like those steep spiral staircase either. They would make my head spin like... like a spiral staircase... and if I were a little tipsy after a party it could be a problem to go to bed... laugh

P.S.: I think those 5 stair steps in the above picture are better than a steep spiral staircase...

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Sorry, but I don't like those steep spiral staircase either. They would make my head spin like... like a spiral staircase... and if I were a little tipsy after a party it could be a problem to go to bed... laugh

Fortunately, there is a handrail for those of us who are teetotaller, and I've been known to drag myself up the handrail to go to bed once or twice (or maybe a few more times! wink )

(...all while thinking of pianos, to be sure!)

[Linked Image]

Egret #2880116 08/16/19 07:47 AM
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Well, isn’t that last step too low and with a lamp on that step, it would only be a matter of time before I put my foot in it or kicked it off the step.

Anyway, I figured out the real solution to your problem. Sell the studio and buy a one bedroom. Voilà! Problem solved.

Egret #2880122 08/16/19 08:06 AM
Piano World's new logo ...

[Linked Image]

LarryK #2880137 08/16/19 08:38 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Anyway, I figured out the real solution to your problem. Sell the studio and buy a one bedroom. Voilà! Problem solved.

5 years and I will be selling the business and moving to either Paris grin or Amsterdam cry anyways (and dreaming of pianos MacMacMac... dreaming of pianos)

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

5 years and I will be selling the business and moving to either Paris grin or Amsterdam cry anyways (and dreaming of pianos MacMacMac... dreaming of pianos)

Five years is a long time to be stuck in a studio. The price differential between a studio and a one bedroom can’t be that great and DC prices aren’t as high as NYC prices.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission