Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
125 registered members (AnnInMiami, almo82, BeeZee4, AlphaBravoCharlie, 8ude, anotherscott, Animisha, Akaitsuki, 28 invisible), 3,799 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 49 of 52 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 52
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: akc42] #2877568
08/08/19 09:21 AM
08/08/19 09:21 AM
Irving, Texas
TX-Bluebonnet Offline
500 Post Club Member
TX-Bluebonnet  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Irving, Texas
Originally Posted by akc42
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet

Oh, I didn't realize that. Looking back in this thread I see that I actually started the challenge on July 27 which is 12 days ago. Time sure does fly! I'd assumed from that report that I was at day 7, not realizing it only showed the last 7 days. Anyway, I poked around some more and found a "Day Streak" feature on the Piano Marvel dashboard. There's a red "New" arrow pointing at it. If you click on the Day Streak box it opens in a new window. From there you can click on the "individual" or "class" tabs. For me it's showing my individual and class rank are the same, with the longest streak and current streak both at 12 days. I don't remember if I used PM on any previous consecutive days before selecting PianoTV as my teacher. If I did I would think my individual streak would be longer than the class streak.

I am not sure that helps much - I have a current streak of 19 days (Max streak 119) and this isn't all in the pianoTv class. Anyway - the "Class" seems to mean which streak class are you in from 7, 14, 30, 90, 180. I'm in the 90 class because my longest streak is 119.

There are other reports under the ranks for Method and Technique ranks, and because I am in the 50K points club in both of these I appear in the reports. Only under these reports there seems to be "Individual", "Class" and "Group". Individual is clearly just me - but the "Class" Rank shows Me as my teacher (despite being in the PianoTV class when I scored my last points in each one) but in the "PianoTV" class under "Group". However, in the "Class" group I am 2nd in terms of points in this list with Josh showing as number 1. So if Josh is in the PianoTV class then maybe this is the PianoTV class and the "Teacher Name" heading to this report is just wrong.

So I am slightly confused
You're not the only one who's confused. There are two lists to view.... class and individual. I have the same rank# 1615 in both the class and individual lists. That doesn't make sense to me. since there are 137,281 individuals and 2,315 in the PianoTV class. The streak lengths belong to "Clubs", not "Class". Right now I'm in the 7-Day streak Club. Still probably not much help. Hopefully they'll continue to make improvements to the reports features.

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2877645
08/08/19 11:55 AM
08/08/19 11:55 AM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
BIG NEWS!!! BIG NEWS!!! BIG NEWS!!! BIG NEWS!!! BIG NEWS!!!

The new iPad app that we have been working on for over a year has been officially released to the App Store! ๐Ÿ˜€ HUGE thanks to our team at Monster Pixel for helping us make this possible! We hope you love it! ๐ŸŽน

Piano Marvel level 4B and everything I like smile
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2877834
08/08/19 08:48 PM
08/08/19 08:48 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Online content
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
Is that Monster Pixel in Seattle?

๐’€๐’‚๐’Ž๐’‚๐’‰๐’‚ ๐‘จ๐’—๐’‚๐’๐’• ๐‘ฎ๐’“๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐‘ต1๐‘ฟ
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Chrispy] #2877923
08/09/19 04:34 AM
08/09/19 04:34 AM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
Originally Posted by Chrispy

????

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2878080
08/09/19 02:03 PM
08/09/19 02:03 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Online content
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
Originally Posted by Sarah65

????

The quote you copied above give thanks to Monster Pixel. There's a software for hire studio in Seattle by the same name so I was wondering if it was them making the iPad version.

๐’€๐’‚๐’Ž๐’‚๐’‰๐’‚ ๐‘จ๐’—๐’‚๐’๐’• ๐‘ฎ๐’“๐’‚๐’๐’… ๐‘ต1๐‘ฟ
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Chrispy] #2878121
08/09/19 04:51 PM
08/09/19 04:51 PM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium

The quote you copied above give thanks to Monster Pixel. There's a software for hire studio in Seattle by the same name so I was wondering if it was them making the iPad version.

Yes it is Monster Pixel in Seattle

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2878229
08/10/19 05:55 AM
08/10/19 05:55 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
500 Post Club Member
akc42  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just outside London UK
Quick heads up for anyone with an ipad. Mine just told me to upgrade to IOS 12.4. After I had done so, my midi connection to the piano completely disappeared and I couldn't get piano marvel to connect. However after much fiddling and getting nowhere I actually went into Settings/General and did a shutdown. After the restart it detected the piano again and I was then able to go into Piano Marvel and set the piano up

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: akc42] #2878244
08/10/19 06:36 AM
08/10/19 06:36 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

6000 Post Club Member

Quick heads up for anyone with an ipad. Mine just told me to upgrade to IOS 12.4. After I had done so, my midi connection to the piano completely disappeared and I couldn't get piano marvel to connect. However after much fiddling and getting nowhere I actually went into Settings/General and did a shutdown. After the restart it detected the piano again and I was then able to go into Piano Marvel and set the piano up

Thatโ€™s a good heads up. I didnโ€™t know there was a shutdown on the iPad. When powering an iPad off and back on doesnโ€™t work, I usually break out the big guns (the various resets). But since those are indeed pretty big guns, Iโ€™d have been unlikely to try that in this case.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2879436
08/14/19 03:24 AM
08/14/19 03:24 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
500 Post Club Member
akc42  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just outside London UK
I have just found SASR tests seem to have got harder yesterday. Some new pieces have been introduced which seem to require more dexterity and quick reading compared to the same level as before. My score seems to have dropped by about 60 as a result.

I wonder whether they really are harder or this is the effect of getting to know pieces that were there previously and now I am having to truly "sight read"

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: akc42] #2879457
08/14/19 06:11 AM
08/14/19 06:11 AM

6000 Post Club Member

I have just found SASR tests seem to have got harder yesterday. Some new pieces have been introduced which seem to require more dexterity and quick reading compared to the same level as before. My score seems to have dropped by about 60 as a result.

I wonder whether they really are harder or this is the effect of getting to know pieces that were there previously and now I am having to truly "sight read"

Well I don't know either but I would guess the latter because I have a pretty automatic memory and I found that running the SASR too much skewed my results from it no longer being sight-reading.

I haven't done the SASR at all, myself, in almost a year. I figure at some point, I will get a complete reset and it will be worth doing again. If and when I restart the SASR, I will not do it more than twice a month myself just to minimize this effect.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2879463
08/14/19 06:54 AM
08/14/19 06:54 AM
Denmark
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
QuasiUnaFantasia  Offline

Denmark
I started a free account last week, and I'm going through the exercises systematically, starting from scratch. After having gone through the first level, I find it very appealing, and my gut feeling is that sticking with it could improve my sightreading by a lot (sightreading being my weakest area).

A couple of questions come to mind:

1) Are all the levels above the first inaccessible with the free account after the first month?

2) Are there additional levels beyond the sixth level, which in my free acount seems to be the highest level available (even though there are songs rated up to level 18)?

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28, Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2), Garritan CFX Lite
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2879480
08/14/19 08:49 AM
08/14/19 08:49 AM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
I started a free account last week, and I'm going through the exercises systematically, starting from scratch. After having gone through the first level, I find it very appealing, and my gut feeling is that sticking with it could improve my sightreading by a lot (sightreading being my weakest area).
1) Are all the levels above the first inaccessible with the free account after the first month?
2) Are there additional levels beyond the sixth level, which in my free acount seems to be the highest level available (even though there are songs rated up to level 18)?

I think you can ask those questions to millsj1134 here, he works at Piano Marvel and he certainly has an answer. What I can already tell you is an answer to question 2, there are only 6 levels in Method and technique, but in the library you will indeed find pieces in higher levels.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2879487
08/14/19 09:11 AM
08/14/19 09:11 AM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Sarah65
What I can already tell you is an answer to question 2, there are only 6 levels in Method and technique, but in the library you will indeed find pieces in higher levels.

I used to think this was a problem, but I guess I've mentally adapted to this and now think it is quite usual in piano. Consider that there are no advanced method books either. That is, piano method books (which one can think of as the textbooks) only go up to level ABRSM 3-5. Beyond that, there is tons of music which is harder, but no textbooks to guide - only teachers.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2879491
08/14/19 09:17 AM
08/14/19 09:17 AM
M
millsj1134 Offline
millsj1134  Offline
M

Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

Hello and welcome! I am going to answer these questions.

1. After your free trial is over, everything in method and technique is locked after Level 1 (except the very first exercise in 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A and 6A.) You are right, doing the method and technique is absolutely amazing for Sightreading. I was able to start around method and technique level 3 and progress well in level 6 in about a month and my SASR score went from 200/300 to the 600โ€™s where I was starting to learn to read hymns. Stick with the method and technique; theyโ€™ll really help build a good reading foundation.

2. There are no levels after 6 currently. But coming from someone who has done a lot of these levels, level 6 goes pretty far and is more like a level 9 in some spots. I still havenโ€™t finished level 6 after about almost 2 years. Itโ€™s pretty hard. After one does finish them (or takes a break like me) there is LOADS of stuff to do for Sightreading. Iโ€™m actually working on a new idea right now that utilizes all 1867 SASR songs to progress through and learn different patterns and styles of music. This idea partially came from going through BachScholars โ€œSightreading and Harmonyโ€ which we also have in our app (with the full book coming soon!). With that being said we have thought about doing a level 7 in the method and technique at some point, and probably will later on, but for now there really are loads of things to do that will keep you busy and progressing every single day. โค๏ธ

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2879494
08/14/19 09:42 AM
08/14/19 09:42 AM
Denmark
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline

Denmark
That clears is up for me. Thank you Sarah65, Tyrone, and millsj1134!

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28, Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2), Garritan CFX Lite
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2879502
08/14/19 10:11 AM
08/14/19 10:11 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
500 Post Club Member
akc42  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just outside London UK
I can attest to the fact that Level 6 is hard. For instance in the technique section, doing a C combo (major scale, chord inversions and arpeggio) wasn't to hard, maybe took a few goes to get right - but after doing C, G, D, A and E there is then an Exercise fo do all of them, one after the other. Getting a reasonable score on that is - well for me so far impossible.

Similarly the method section, the first piece Bach's Prelude in C was fast such that you pretty well have no time to think, so it almost needs memorising. It took me 18 months to get that completed.

Pachelbel Cannon is also in this section - it also appears in Level 5 in fact its the WHOLE of 5C at a tempo of 90bpm. In level 6 there are just 4 exercises in 6A. Except this time the tempo is 120bpm. Considering the left hand of the middle sections is almost a complete arpeggio of 1/8th notes for each of the keys (C, G, A, E, F, C, F , G) twice its quite hard. I'm making progress, but slowly (I'm around 95% for each of the individual sections).

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: akc42] #2879704
08/15/19 03:49 AM
08/15/19 03:49 AM
Denmark
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline

Denmark
I can attest to the fact that Level 6 is hard. For instance in the technique section, doing a C combo (major scale, chord inversions and arpeggio) wasn't to hard, maybe took a few goes to get right - but after doing C, G, D, A and E there is then an Exercise fo do all of them, one after the other. Getting a reasonable score on that is - well for me so far impossible.

Similarly the method section, the first piece Bach's Prelude in C was fast such that you pretty well have no time to think, so it almost needs memorising. It took me 18 months to get that completed.

Pachelbel Cannon is also in this section - it also appears in Level 5 in fact its the WHOLE of 5C at a tempo of 90bpm. In level 6 there are just 4 exercises in 6A. Except this time the tempo is 120bpm. Considering the left hand of the middle sections is almost a complete arpeggio of 1/8th notes for each of the keys (C, G, A, E, F, C, F , G) twice its quite hard. I'm making progress, but slowly (I'm around 95% for each of the individual sections).

Okay, it sounds like levels 2 through 6 will last me a very long time. smile

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2879819
08/15/19 08:25 AM
08/15/19 08:25 AM
Huizen, The Netherlands
J
JanHJM50 Offline
JanHJM50  Offline
J

Huizen, The Netherlands
I believe that Piano Marvel too much values fast playing, while in this video of Dr. Josh Wright just the opposite is claimed for good piano playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwRfzRqk3Cc
Maybe it could be changed such that you can earn a bronze or silver star if you can play a piece flawlessly at slower tempi.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: JanHJM50] #2879879
08/15/19 11:43 AM
08/15/19 11:43 AM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
Originally Posted by JanHJM50
I believe that Piano Marvel too much values fast playing, while in this video of Dr. Josh Wright just the opposite is claimed for good piano playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwRfzRqk3Cc
Maybe it could be changed such that you can earn a bronze or silver star if you can play a piece flawlessly at slower tempi.

I totally agree with you, the speed is also the biggest obstacle for me. I've been stuck at "Scarborough Fair" fast for months. That should be played at a whopping 110 BPM, while the original and every version I ever heard is always super slow. Why not let PM users choose whether they want to play a slow or fast version for their gold star ? Not everyone has the ambition to ever play "Flight of the Bumblebee". smile

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2879883
08/15/19 11:57 AM
08/15/19 11:57 AM
Virginia
HwyStar Online content
HwyStar  Online Content

Virginia
If you manually slow down the tempo in "play controls" does PM still count that as a 100% if you pass it? I have not tried that yet.

Last edited by HwyStar; 08/15/19 11:58 AM.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3B
Page 49 of 52 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 52

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
got me an MP11se :)
by brogh. 09/17/19 02:39 PM
Bose S1 for Jazz Gigs?
by Skyscrapersax. 09/17/19 02:34 PM
Abnormal middle e noise on multiple Casios?
by Sturm22. 09/17/19 12:04 PM
Chance of me becoming an orchestra/concert pianist?
by GraceNotes. 09/17/19 11:11 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,075
Posts2,870,413
Members94,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission