2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
45 members (Bachus, Beowulf, Animisha, albydooby, CajunJ, Bill McKaig,RPT, Chris Vitale, 11 invisible), 427 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Best company for quilted Steinway cover
#2879083 08/13/19 07:36 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Hello! I have 2 young kids (age 2 and 4) and am getting a Steinway piano. I need to protect my piano from damage and want to get a quilted cover. Which companies do you recommend to get the best cover? The piano will be in a room that cannot be cordoned off from the rest of the house so I need to protect it. Thanks!

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Best company for quilted Steinway cover
Rakvsv4301 #2879138 08/13/19 09:32 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When our children got to that age, we opened the keyboard on the piano - and it never closed till the last one was married.

It had huge benefits. They saw & heard Daddy (me) play the piano every night, they sat on his knee (or lay cradled in his arms) when very young and he sang to them. And as a consequence, they knew the piano was an exciting living "thing". And, as soon as they could reach the keys, they'd tinkle away - just a note or 2 at first - eventually we'd put them up on the bench for them to experiment with sounds. Our first daughter consequently has a Bachelor of Music and still plays violin, piano and Tenor Sax. The other 2 children both play, one went to conservatory for a year.

Putting a cover on the piano will only discourage their musical education.

Some of these photos below are of nieces and grandchildren - but most are my own children, either as little ones - or as they advanced toward being advanced musicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJKGeUvnR0U&t=2s

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Rakvsv4301 #2879177 08/13/19 11:18 AM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
backto_:

What lovely pictures and the memories they must evoke!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Rakvsv4301 #2879183 08/13/19 11:27 AM

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
I get the "Why would you ever use a quilted cover?" reaction, but in my life and my household, I need one.

I ordered mine through Keith Kerman at PianoCraft, and I'm sure he could help you out.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
Rakvsv4301 #2879215 08/13/19 01:11 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Instrument Covers II. The best. She took over the biz from her parents - instrument covers by Jill.

http://www.pianocovers.net/
https://www.facebook.com/InstrumentCoversII/

A past thread
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2767161/purchase-piano-cover.html
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Highest recommendation for instrument covers in Salem, Or. I don't think there's a better one on the market. I've bought two in the past - one for a Yamaha C7 and one for a Yamaha S6. Lifetime quality. They blow away the cover that came with my D. I've been meaning to purchase another one for 12 years but it does the job.

Dennis Haley is the owner and his wife Jill did the sewing. I've heard the daughter has taken over the operation but the quality is still at the highest level of standards..

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5
Rakvsv4301 #2879224 08/13/19 01:31 PM
A
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
A
We bought a quilted cover from Vanda King's Piano Showcase for our Yamaha (6'3"). That was 25+ years ago. I see they still sell them. It has worked out fine for us. According to their website, they have custom cut covers for different Steinway models, requiring a photo for some models to match the tails exactly. Also the deluxe version and adding slits on the sides adds to the cost. Our Boesie came with a cover from the factory. Both our covers have slits on the sides so they can be pulled up and the played while still protecting the lid and sides of the pianos. We normally leave our pianos in that position.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)
astrotoy #2879371 08/13/19 08:08 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by astrotoy
... Our Boesie came with a cover from the factory. Both our covers have slits on the sides so they can be pulled up and the played while still protecting the lid and sides of the pianos. We normally leave our pianos in that position.

Yes, the cover I've got for my Grotrian is the same - in fact, most nights I don't pull it back over the front.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Rakvsv4301 #2879626 08/14/19 06:50 PM
M
M

PIANO COVERS BY ALICIA. Formerly with APSCO, her covers are rapidly becoming the cover of choice. We offer six types of material-all covers custom made. Color bench pads available. Great looking-affordable prices-fast service. Brochure Available. AMERICAN PIANO COVERS LLC, PO Box 456 Clifton, NJ 07015. (T) 973-246-9144 (F) 973-246-9264; knightwing710@yahoo.com

I have used this company for 20 years and ordered multiple covers from them ranging from basic mackintosh to fully quilted cover, excellent quality and pricing.

Piano Technician and restorer www.snowpianos.com now relocated to Burlington Vermont after 33 years as Head Piano Technician at Boston University School of Music.
Rakvsv4301 #2879629 08/14/19 07:08 PM
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
the custom cover fabricators suggested by D.Ferris, in OR, did a superb job with the two piece, padded piano cover for our vintage M & H BB, and the price was absurdly reasonable for the quality of the work.

Rakvsv4301 #2879958 08/15/19 04:40 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
For the very best quilted piano covers, we call Dennis at Instrument Covers by Jill. We received another this week for a Bösendorfer 280VC. Beautiful as always, but you may need to order through a dealer. They have case length or full drop covers, as well as embroidery options.

For still good protection, but more basic aesthetic and lower price, we order quilted covers from Jansen. We order quite a few of their Macintosh covers.

For your living room? I think I'm more in Alan's camp about introducing even the youngest ones to the piano with an appreciation and respect for it. With very small children, we worry about toys in their hands that can mar finishes or food/drinks that can cause problems. Other risks are very low.

A heavy quilted cover is good protection, but can also be an impediment to casual use. Something else to think about as you move forward. If you insist on protection while they are so young, a second option might be to get a Macintosh cover + a fallboard lock. Mac covers are easy to fold back, and a fallboard lock is also easy to use and put back. This is less protection of the cabinet, but more protection of the inside where accidents could be costly.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Rakvsv4301 #2879982 08/15/19 05:39 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It all depends on the children, their ages, their activity level, pets, and their activities around the piano. With pets there’s far more dust and hair, with kids there’s toys, dirt, crumbs, and sticky stuff that I won’t fully describe here. We now have one older dog that only sits or lays in the same room as the piano, so I have to sweep his hair from around the piano. I fully close my piano when I’m not playing it but if we had three year olds running through the house and would climb up to the piano at any moment with food remnants on their hands, I would keep it closed, locked, and covered with a thick protective quilt.
Some guests can be total pigs too. How many pianos have a big drink ring next to the music rack. Under adult supervision the piano could be uncovered for the kids’ practice, depending on when they start. My mother never covered, closed, or locked her piano ever. My younger brother was the wild child. Everyone knew in our whole family to tread carefully around the piano or you might get hit with a well aimed spatula. I think the cover is an easier method. grin

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I save far better than I play!
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Speakers and Headphones at the same time
by petebfrance - 07/04/20 07:24 AM
Praise for Bastien Intermediate Course
by IntermedPianist - 07/04/20 06:05 AM
Some problems in articulation.
by Classical Lover - 07/04/20 05:41 AM
High harmonic whistling frequency from low A note
by JungleJim - 07/04/20 04:45 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,013
Posts2,976,580
Members97,646
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission