2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
Originally Posted by dogperson
I work in an industry that uses metric, and it is much easier to mentally see measurement relationships. Sad but true that we won’t switch

Half of 10mm=5.5mm, half an inch is 1/2", a third of 10mm=3.33333endless, a third of foot=4". Sometimes metric is not so simple. I use both constantly in my business and find that both have value but certainly neither is better.

John Shelton
Shelton-Farretta Guitars
www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by jshelton
[...]
Half of 10mm=5.5mm, half an inch is 1/2", a third of 10mm=3.33333endless, a third of foot=4". Sometimes metric is not so simple. I use both constantly in my business and find that both have value but certainly neither is better.

How does half of 10 equal 5.5?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

Regards,

Inflation.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Ken Iisaka
Just play more softly, and have the piano regulated well.

There is no such thing as a piano that's too large for the room, unless it doesn't fit.

As long as the piano technician is not too large !

Last edited by Lady Bird; 08/11/19 03:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Probably it will overwhelm that space. Especially if you play lid on full stick. The general formula for a room with 8' ceiling height is, max piano size = room perimeter / 10. in your case it is about 5'. Since you have 10' ceiling height maybe a bigger piano might be possible. But still I doubt this room is suitable for a Steinway B.

Online Content
I think many of those with grand pianos(or large grand pianos)in "small rooms" that say there is no problem with the piano being too loud have the piano in a room that opens up to another room with a wider than a door width opening. My guess is that pianos are often in living rooms that typically open into other spaces. Thus, their small rooms are actually effectively much larger than their dimensions in terms of sound.

I cannot imagine most grands and especially larger grands working well in terms of sound in a fully enclosed(except for a door) room that is 8'x10' and certainly not in a room just large enough to fit the piano. OTOH this is only my feeling(and a very common one, I think) and it's not based on hearing grands in that kind of space.

I hope some of the posters in this thread(or techs who have experienced tons of in home pianos) that said their piano was not a problem in their small room will give their piano room's dimensions and say whether the room opens into other spaces. That might convince me that a tiny enclosed room is OK for a grand that is well regulated, voiced for the space, and played by a pianist with good technique for pp playing. I cannot imagine my M&H BB(admittedly a powerful piano)working well in my 9'X12' bedroom.

Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
[...]

Regards,

I should never post replies after drinking wine :-).

John Shelton
Shelton-Farretta Guitars
www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]

Regards,

I should never post replies after drinking wine :-).

I'l drink to that!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I hope some of the posters in this thread(or techs who have experienced tons of in home pianos) that said their piano was not a problem in their small room will give their piano room's dimensions and say whether the room opens into other spaces. That might convince me that a tiny enclosed room is OK for a grand that is well regulated, voiced for the space, and played by a pianist with good technique for pp playing. I cannot imagine my M&H BB(admittedly a powerful piano)working well in my 9'X12' bedroom.

My piano is in a room that's 10'x12', and which doesn't open up to another room. The piano is 203 cm. I think the important thing is how loud the piano is when played normally. Some pianos sound more powerful than others, irrespective of size. I've had to wear ear plugs when playing smaller pianos in bigger practise rooms.

Piano sales consultant
Australian Piano Warehouse-Melbourne Australia
30 years and still going
Steinway upright,Yamaha upright,Roland RD800,Korg Kronos
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
You can always soften the volume with a nice rug or wall hangings, if needed. Books under the piano and furniture in the room help also. And, there are always acoustic ceiling treatments.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Sadly, one of the worries that always clouds the joy of buying and owning a big grand such as a Steinway B, a D, a Mason & Hamlin BB, or a Yamaha C7 or C7X is the immediate thought, where are we going to put “this beast”? I just guess it’s one of the things that comes along with the big dream piano. But still my dream pianos are at least 7 feet.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by cmb13
[...]Books under the piano and furniture in the room help also.[...]

Books under the piano?!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
R
OP Offline
R
Yes the room has 3 walls and one wall is open to the foyer and living room.

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks!

S
S
Different piano makes are scaled for different "loundness". I have found C Bechstein and Bosendorfer to be among the "quieter" ones, scaled for a living room in the 214cm size.

Last edited by Sanfrancisco; 08/13/19 08:07 AM.
S
S
Acoustic panels would help you tame the sound a bit; real ones that is, not foam...like RPG, Real Traps or GIK etc...easy to DIY. (If you have the money start with a RPG Modex broadband or two).

One trick that makes a huge difference is to put acoustic panels raised up underneath the piano...or even cut/made to size in the slots...as an example, if u have neighbour issues, fill the whole bottom of the piano with pillows/insulation, put it on isolation mounts, fully close the lid, and put mover blankets on top...loads you can do to change the sound!

Last edited by Spno; 08/13/19 08:07 PM.
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Books under the piano?!

I've seen it posted by others that music books (ie in crates or stacked) can help soften the sound.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

Books under the piano?!

I've seen it posted by others that music books (ie in crates or stacked) can help soften the sound.

I was thinking of the aesthetics of having stacks of books, or crates of books under the piano; it wouldn't appeal to me, because I'm also thinking of the piano as an item of beauty in a space that is viewed by others.

However, if the piano were in a teaching studio, that might work. For me, I can't imagine how many times I would hit my head on the underside of the piano while retrieving a book. But that's just clutzy old me; I would never learn! Ouch! and some expletives that I can't produce here! smile

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Books under the piano?!

I was thinking of the aesthetics of having stacks of books, or crates of books under the piano; it wouldn't appeal to me, because I'm also thinking of the piano as an item of beauty in a space that is viewed by others.

However, if the piano were in a teaching studio, that might work. For me, I can't imagine how many times I would hit my head on the underside of the piano while retrieving a book. But that's just clutzy old me; I would never learn! Ouch! and some expletives that I can't produce here! smile

Regards,

It would not appeal to me either. My wife would never allow books (or anything) under the piano anyway.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission