2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2879338 08/13/19 06:48 PM
K
KevinM Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
Recently I became more focussed with my practise on practising slowly and repeating very often were I was weakest.

Initially this seemed to get good results with decent improvement. But that has gone now and if anything I feel like I have gone backwards the last few days.

I have a piano meet-up on Saturday and thought I was going to have two pieces to play. But I can’t do it now. I might go to be social.

This is really just a vent. I am not looking for help.

KevinM #2879340 08/13/19 06:51 PM
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I go backwards so much I've caught up with myself again.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

KevinM #2879350 08/13/19 07:16 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've spent some time relearning previous shorties. It's sometimes like learning them from scratch. I wonder if it's worth it? New stuff's always attractive, but nothing sticks. My head's like a sieve . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
KevinM #2879353 08/13/19 07:19 PM
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Two steps forward, one step back.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
KevinM #2879363 08/13/19 07:46 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by KevinM

I couldn't be of help anyway but hark, do you hear hundreds of ABF posters ''chafing at the bit'' cool

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
KevinM #2879393 08/13/19 10:11 PM
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Recently I became more focussed with my practise on practising slowly and repeating very often were I was weakest.

Initially this seemed to get good results with decent improvement. But that has gone now and if anything I feel like I have gone backwards the last few days.

I have a piano meet-up on Saturday and thought I was going to have two pieces to play. But I can’t do it now. I might go to be social.

For me, piano playing is a very dynamic activity, in that while overall objectives and routines exist, the means I use to work on them varies and it is a rare day when something new does not occur to me. Everything about my music, including technique, seems to thrive on variety. If that variety is absent my musical impulse and enjoyment dry up, therefore I avoid an exclusive routine of one particular aspect, for example slow practice, this or that hand and finger position, this or that exercise, even if they are touted by experts.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
KevinM #2879413 08/14/19 12:14 AM
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Sometimes I feel that I am standing still and not improving at all. Part of the journey.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
KevinM #2879422 08/14/19 01:13 AM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Like now...I’ve been working on the same songs for several weeks now. I seem to be standing still.

Kawai K500
KevinM #2879439 08/14/19 03:52 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
After concentrating very hard on Mozart's Turkish March for a couple of months I found most of my previous repertoire had disappeared. The only piece that had stayed was Beethoven's Pathetique 2nd Movement. The Beethoven had in fact disappeared before and I had spent a couple of weeks reviving it.. Seems to be much more embedded in my fingers as a result.

So I agreed with my teacher to go back over some old pieces. First up has been Bach's Invention No 13, but instead of just re-learning how to play it, my teacher has been teaching me harmony theory and chord progressions and we have been breaking down the piece into all of its chords and examining the progressions. Now as I start to put it back into my fingers, I find myself realising exactly which chord I am playing and which note must come next as a result. Absolutely fascinating stuff.

[Linked Image]

KevinM #2879440 08/14/19 04:08 AM
K
KevinM Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
One the things my teacher had me do to highlight my bad use of peddling, was to have me work on a couple of pieces without using the peddle.

We've gone through the pieces quite closely and redone a lot of my fingering such that the sustain peddle is not needed for achieving the nice legato.

That has been really rewarding, but after that and after I've felt like I've got the new fingering locked in everything starts falling apart. That has been incredibly frustrating when I thought I was at the stage of making these two pieces my own in preparation for Saturday's meet up. But it has all gone.

I can see from now on I am going to be much better and careful at evaluating my fingering choices early on in learning a new piece than I have been and that feels like a big win. I know a lot of patterns to watch out for now.

KevinM #2879445 08/14/19 04:49 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
We're not well-oiled robots who can perform up to the same level every day. God knows how many things can cause a relatively "bad day", or "bad week", etc. At any rate, progress comes about in an uneven pace. Moreover, as we progress, our sense of how well we play will also change. I'm fairly sure that what I would have considered well played by myself one year ago would not be nearly as agreeable to me now. This change in ability to play confounds the task of evaluating ourselves.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
KevinM #2879462 08/14/19 06:20 AM
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

One the things my teacher had me do to highlight my bad use of peddling, was to have me work on a couple of pieces without using the peddle.

We've gone through the pieces quite closely and redone a lot of my fingering such that the sustain peddle is not needed for achieving the nice legato.

That has been really rewarding, but after that and after I've felt like I've got the new fingering locked in everything starts falling apart. That has been incredibly frustrating when I thought I was at the stage of making these two pieces my own in preparation for Saturday's meet up. But it has all gone.

I can see from now on I am going to be much better and careful at evaluating my fingering choices early on in learning a new piece than I have been and that feels like a big win. I know a lot of patterns to watch out for now.

Perfect example of how comprehension aids memorization.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
KevinM #2879519 08/14/19 11:04 AM
A
A
Moving forward on an instrument is the same as moving forward with a new language. There are many peaks and valleys that we need to go through-unfortunately many more valleys than peaks. I am relatively new to
the piano but I studied another instrument for a very long time. I would practice and practice and nothing ever seemed to be different, and then after weeks or a month everything would click and I felt I reached a new level. It
is the same with language acquisition. You spend weeks banging your head against your desk and then one day you wake up and realize-I'm not where I was months ago....so it's a bit of a peak, and then it's back to
a different valley again. Most skills require a tremendous amount of leg-work, days and weeks of patience and I think this is the difficulty that a lot of adults face. I have started and quit the piano a zillion times because
I lack the patience to get where I want to be going when I am at where I want to be heading. It takes a very long time and a lot of slow work-but maybe in three months or six months I'm always amazed at what I have
accomplished. It's just sticking to the practice and routine until I get there. And then of course the goal is always changing, the more we know, the better we get, the more we want to learn. It never ends.
My favourite quote above my desk reads-It's not about the destination, it's all about the journey. As long as we accept that we will be life-long learners, then I think we can be more patient with our progress.

Last edited by alans; 08/14/19 11:05 AM.
KevinM #2879541 08/14/19 12:24 PM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M

Why not play two other pieces? You can play the two planned pieces when they are more secure at another meetup.

Last edited by Moo :); 08/14/19 12:25 PM.
KevinM #2879582 08/14/19 03:10 PM

I know how discouraging it can be when:

- You feel like you're going backwards
- Things that used to work seem to stop working
- You get your hopes up and then things don't go as planned

akc42 #3436453 11/11/23 02:19 PM
K
K
I needed to read this thread tonight, in fact that’s what led me to this pianoworld site! I’ve noticed a pattern where, when you think you’re taking a step backward, it’s always seems to be just before a big leap forward, so I’m taking heart from that too.

KevinM #3436519 11/11/23 04:39 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Many people including myself found that as we learn more pieces, older ones get dropped. Now we’re close to the holidays I’d focus on some Christmas classics like “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”, “Silent Night” etc. I can always find easy piano versions for beginners & Intermediates like myself.

After many years of playing, I’ve played a number of pieces by various composers & songwriters. There are certain ones up to 3 min I’m more comfortable with that I can relearn quickly. At a social gathering I’d play a few old pieces that are within my comfort level. Many pieces can be repetitive to take up more time without having to learn a lot. And the pieces are not all that technical.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I use the dusting off of Christmas music as sort of a yearly yardstick of progress: how difficult the piece looks and how well I can sight read it. Past years, little difference. This year though, I noticed a big leap after a long time of seemingly no forward motion. Kal2021's comment may be spot on!

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
KevinM #3436597 11/11/23 08:51 PM
Online Content

Practicing slowly and spending time on difficult passages is important. But there is a lot more to effective practicing. If you feel like you have gone backwards or even just not improving, you have to try to figure out what the problem is and what the solution is. If you are taking lessons your teacher can help but at every level one has to b do some problem solving oneself. One doesn't improve simply by playing things over and over.

KevinM #3436607 11/11/23 09:43 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
This is an old thread that a first-timer is picking up. Seems to be a recurring pattern on PW. The OP posted over 4 years ago. Makes you wonder if the first-time posters are real people, or if they’re chatbots.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission