Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
74 registered members (aphexdisklavier, barbaram, Chrispy, 36251, cfrederi, Colin Miles, amis, Cirjuriano, 18 invisible), 1,109 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Going backwards #2879338
08/13/19 06:48 PM
08/13/19 06:48 PM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Online content OP
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Recently I became more focussed with my practise on practising slowly and repeating very often were I was weakest.

Initially this seemed to get good results with decent improvement. But that has gone now and if anything I feel like I have gone backwards the last few days.

I have a piano meet-up on Saturday and thought I was going to have two pieces to play. But I can’t do it now. I might go to be social.

This is really just a vent. I am not looking for help.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Casio Celviano AP-470. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Going backwards [Re: KevinM] #2879340
08/13/19 06:51 PM
08/13/19 06:51 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
I go backwards so much I've caught up with myself again.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Going backwards [Re: KevinM] #2879350
08/13/19 07:16 PM
08/13/19 07:16 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
I've spent some time relearning previous shorties. It's sometimes like learning them from scratch. I wonder if it's worth it? New stuff's always attractive, but nothing sticks. My head's like a sieve . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Going backwards [Re: KevinM] #2879353
08/13/19 07:19 PM
08/13/19 07:19 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Two steps forward, one step back.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions (in a not quite random order)

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Going backwards [Re: KevinM] #2879363
08/13/19 07:46 PM
08/13/19 07:46 PM
Australia
E
earlofmar Online content
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
E

Australia
Originally Posted by KevinM

I couldn't be of help anyway but hark, do you hear hundreds of ABF posters ''chafing at the bit'' cool

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Going backwards [Re: KevinM] #2879393
08/13/19 10:11 PM
08/13/19 10:11 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
Recently I became more focussed with my practise on practising slowly and repeating very often were I was weakest.

Initially this seemed to get good results with decent improvement. But that has gone now and if anything I feel like I have gone backwards the last few days.

I have a piano meet-up on Saturday and thought I was going to have two pieces to play. But I can’t do it now. I might go to be social.

For me, piano playing is a very dynamic activity, in that while overall objectives and routines exist, the means I use to work on them varies and it is a rare day when something new does not occur to me. Everything about my music, including technique, seems to thrive on variety. If that variety is absent my musical impulse and enjoyment dry up, therefore I avoid an exclusive routine of one particular aspect, for example slow practice, this or that hand and finger position, this or that exercise, even if they are touted by experts.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Going backwards [Re: KevinM] #2879413
08/14/19 12:14 AM
08/14/19 12:14 AM
North of Los Angeles
L
Learux Offline

500 Post Club Member
Learux  Offline

500 Post Club Member
L

North of Los Angeles
Sometimes I feel that I am standing still and not improving at all. Part of the journey.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
Re: Going backwards [Re: KevinM] #2879422
08/14/19 01:13 AM
08/14/19 01:13 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
WeakLeftHand  Offline
W

Like now...I’ve been working on the same songs for several weeks now. I seem to be standing still.

Re: Going backwards [Re: KevinM] #2879439
08/14/19 03:52 AM
08/14/19 03:52 AM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
akc42  Offline

Just outside London UK
After concentrating very hard on Mozart's Turkish March for a couple of months I found most of my previous repertoire had disappeared. The only piece that had stayed was Beethoven's Pathetique 2nd Movement. The Beethoven had in fact disappeared before and I had spent a couple of weeks reviving it.. Seems to be much more embedded in my fingers as a result.

So I agreed with my teacher to go back over some old pieces. First up has been Bach's Invention No 13, but instead of just re-learning how to play it, my teacher has been teaching me harmony theory and chord progressions and we have been breaking down the piece into all of its chords and examining the progressions. Now as I start to put it back into my fingers, I find myself realising exactly which chord I am playing and which note must come next as a result. Absolutely fascinating stuff.

Re: Going backwards [Re: KevinM] #2879440
08/14/19 04:08 AM
08/14/19 04:08 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Online content OP
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
One the things my teacher had me do to highlight my bad use of peddling, was to have me work on a couple of pieces without using the peddle.

We've gone through the pieces quite closely and redone a lot of my fingering such that the sustain peddle is not needed for achieving the nice legato.

That has been really rewarding, but after that and after I've felt like I've got the new fingering locked in everything starts falling apart. That has been incredibly frustrating when I thought I was at the stage of making these two pieces my own in preparation for Saturday's meet up. But it has all gone.

I can see from now on I am going to be much better and careful at evaluating my fingering choices early on in learning a new piece than I have been and that feels like a big win. I know a lot of patterns to watch out for now.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Casio Celviano AP-470. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: Going backwards [Re: KevinM] #2879445
08/14/19 04:49 AM
08/14/19 04:49 AM
Denmark
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
QuasiUnaFantasia  Offline

Denmark
We're not well-oiled robots who can perform up to the same level every day. God knows how many things can cause a relatively "bad day", or "bad week", etc. At any rate, progress comes about in an uneven pace. Moreover, as we progress, our sense of how well we play will also change. I'm fairly sure that what I would have considered well played by myself one year ago would not be nearly as agreeable to me now. This change in ability to play confounds the task of evaluating ourselves.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28, Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Re: Going backwards [Re: KevinM] #2879462
08/14/19 06:20 AM
08/14/19 06:20 AM
Florida
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
cmb13  Offline
Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida

One the things my teacher had me do to highlight my bad use of peddling, was to have me work on a couple of pieces without using the peddle.

We've gone through the pieces quite closely and redone a lot of my fingering such that the sustain peddle is not needed for achieving the nice legato.

That has been really rewarding, but after that and after I've felt like I've got the new fingering locked in everything starts falling apart. That has been incredibly frustrating when I thought I was at the stage of making these two pieces my own in preparation for Saturday's meet up. But it has all gone.

I can see from now on I am going to be much better and careful at evaluating my fingering choices early on in learning a new piece than I have been and that feels like a big win. I know a lot of patterns to watch out for now.

Perfect example of how comprehension aids memorization.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions (in a not quite random order)

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Going backwards [Re: KevinM] #2879519
08/14/19 11:04 AM
08/14/19 11:04 AM
A
alans Offline
alans  Offline
A

Moving forward on an instrument is the same as moving forward with a new language. There are many peaks and valleys that we need to go through-unfortunately many more valleys than peaks. I am relatively new to
the piano but I studied another instrument for a very long time. I would practice and practice and nothing ever seemed to be different, and then after weeks or a month everything would click and I felt I reached a new level. It
is the same with language acquisition. You spend weeks banging your head against your desk and then one day you wake up and realize-I'm not where I was months ago....so it's a bit of a peak, and then it's back to
a different valley again. Most skills require a tremendous amount of leg-work, days and weeks of patience and I think this is the difficulty that a lot of adults face. I have started and quit the piano a zillion times because
I lack the patience to get where I want to be going when I am at where I want to be heading. It takes a very long time and a lot of slow work-but maybe in three months or six months I'm always amazed at what I have
accomplished. It's just sticking to the practice and routine until I get there. And then of course the goal is always changing, the more we know, the better we get, the more we want to learn. It never ends.
My favourite quote above my desk reads-It's not about the destination, it's all about the journey. As long as we accept that we will be life-long learners, then I think we can be more patient with our progress.

Last edited by alans; 08/14/19 11:05 AM.
Re: Going backwards [Re: KevinM] #2879541
08/14/19 12:24 PM
08/14/19 12:24 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Moo :)  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Why not play two other pieces? You can play the two planned pieces when they are more secure at another meetup.

Last edited by Moo :); 08/14/19 12:25 PM.
Re: Going backwards [Re: KevinM] #2879582
08/14/19 03:10 PM
08/14/19 03:10 PM
Connecticut, USA
MichaelJK Offline

MichaelJK  Offline

Connecticut, USA

I know how discouraging it can be when:

- You feel like you're going backwards
- Things that used to work seem to stop working
- You get your hopes up and then things don't go as planned

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The latest on the Kawai Novus NV5
by ADWyatt. 08/18/19 10:09 PM
A YouTube Channel That Has Really Helped Me
by writebynight. 08/18/19 05:31 PM
Repertoire for Warm Up
by cmb13. 08/18/19 04:11 PM
Fallboard not as slow as it used to be
by doremi. 08/18/19 03:55 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,612
Posts2,860,270
Members94,187
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission