2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
115 members (almo82, apianostudent, An Old Square, 36251, anotherscott, accordeur, Animisha, Bach On Lock, 18 invisible), 1,065 guests, and 460 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2878740 08/12/19 01:15 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Can anyone recommend a hardware device to record line out from my N2?

I can't do this via software for various reasons - primarily because my only PC is used for PT and despite lots of helpful advice earlier, I've been unable to work out how to get the PC to render PT sound, and then record the mix of this with native N2 sound.

I can't afford another PC, but surely there must be something that can digitally record line out (I don't need microphones) onto a WAV file.

(I do have an iPad, but don't know whether this could do reasonable recording, or what cables I'd need)

C
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
C
You can look for "portable field recorder", "portable recorder" or "field recorder" from e.g. Roland, Tascam, Zoom, Medeli.

Typically they are small(ish) devices with stereo microphones, but may also have a line input.

Alternatively there are "audio interfaces" that plug into an iPad via USB/Lightning: https://www.gearank.com/guides/ipad-audio-interface

But that's actually pretty much all I know as I haven't used any of those. Others can continue from here...

P
P
Yes portable audio recorder would be a good solution. Alternatively, if you want a desktop recorder, loot at Denon DN700R. It is a fantastic piece of hardware on SD cards, it has analog and digital input and it is a very stable recorder. Hope this help.

P
P
If you're using Pianoteq you could surely record your live performance as a MIDI file (Pianoteq does have MIDI recorder built-in) and then afterwards, either...

1.) Open Pianoteq into any 3rd-party VST host software which offers audio recording too. ( eg. Herman Sieb's excellent free VST Host progam is a great example which can render 32 bit floating point WAV files from any MIDI file playback. Alternatively Reaper is free and will do the job, but it's a more complex full studio DAW software (probably the best out there - and free!!!) so does probably have a steeper learning curve if you're a beginner.)

2.) You could also repeat step 1 using many other software VST pianos like Ivory, or Garritan CFX, or VSL Steinway D, etc. to compare the rendered WAVs of these pianos from the same source MIDI file.

3.) Playback your MIDI file (via USB) to recreate the performance again through your Yamaha N2, which itself could then be recorded, either externally as you suggest on a basic cheap handheld WAV recorder like Zoom H1n or Tascam DR05X or similar, or back into your computer and recorded using almost any suitable WAV audio recording software (hundreds of examples to choose) or again Reaper is free and will do the job. Working this way might help you as the computer doesn't need to be running Pianoteq at the same time so less CPU workload or conflicts with your ASIO routing or whatever...

Finally, you mention "mixing" the sound of your Yamaha N2 with the sound of Pianoteq…??? General wisdom is it's a bad idea to layer two disparate piano tracks on top of one another, so can't see why you're wanting to do that really.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes to this ...
Originally Posted by propianist
General wisdom is it's a bad idea to layer two disparate piano tracks on top of one another, so can't see why you're wanting to do that really.

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks, I think I'll go for a H1N or similar then.

I know it's not a great idea layering tracks, but I get the best of both worlds that way - I get the playability of PT, and can offset the slightly artificial PT sound with the more authentic N2 sounds (which don't however have enough bass or resonance which I can get from PT).

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris Warren
despite lots of helpful advice earlier, I've been unable to work out how to get the PC to render PT sound, and then record the mix of this with native N2 sound.

Free software for Windows to do this.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Those Zooms have had good reviews. And the price is right, eh?
I know it's not a great idea layering tracks, but I get the best of both worlds that way - I get the playability of PT, and can offset the slightly artificial PT sound with the more authentic N2 sounds (which don't however have enough bass or resonance which I can get from PT).
You know, instead of covering Pianoteq's faults by mixing in another piano, why not just buy a different virtual instrument? Most are better than Pianoteq, and most are cheaper, too.

S
S
The Sony PCM D50 is one of the best handheld recorders I ever had...can be found cheap enough second hand...not sure what the outputs of the N2 are like...but it has an optical in, as well as analog.

That said, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get it working seamlessly with Protools if you have an interface...you even just record the MIDI into Protools and then send it all back to the N2 and record that...

Last edited by Spno; 08/13/19 06:04 PM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
C
I don't think the H1n has stereo "line in" jacks. I'm sure the H4n _does_ have them. I don't know about the H2.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S

Maybe you should just use a different VST that meets all of your requirements?

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High end speaker v.s. a real sound board
by NavH - 01/20/22 10:33 AM
VST? Get an external DAC.
by Bruce In Philly - 01/20/22 10:19 AM
Vertigo, Pianos, and Earbud Speakers
by ClsscLib - 01/20/22 10:07 AM
Welcome New Members!
by Piano World - 01/20/22 09:53 AM
Memorization: Corea vs. Zhdanov
by Emery Wang - 01/20/22 09:03 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,259
Posts3,162,473
Members104,096
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission