2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2878230 08/10/19 05:59 AM
K
OP Offline
K
I'm designing a musical instrument stand, and so it would be great to know which position everyone favours. Is sitting or standing to play piano/keyboard more comfortable for you?
Thanks!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I could never play while standing. The low keyboard would require an awkward position for the hands and arms.

But if you mean to raise the keyboard to a suitable level ... I might have been willing to try that some time ago. But today my back problems make that untenable.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
The convention is to sit at the piano, but I’ve recently been thinking about buying a sit/stand music desk simply to spend some more time standing. It seems that we spend too much time on our collective asses, and experts recommend standing more often; apparently this helps with all sorts of health-related issues.
So, can you design the stand with a hydraulic system so that it accommodates both standing and sitting?
The stand/desk I’m considering is the “Summit Sit-Stand Studio Desk.” It works at the push of a button and ‘favorite-height’ can be saved for automatic recall.

K
OP Offline
K
Perhaps not a hydraulic adjustment, but some sort of variable height would be possible, I'm sure.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Just make sure to choose the right height smile

Time tag does not work with PW. Look at 1:22.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
K
OP Offline
K
Yep, I'm investigating that too!

P
P
It depends what you want to do. If you want really play piano (particularly for classical music), sitting is the only possible position. Fingers position, hand position, arm position, elbow position..... these are things you can not change, and if you do not respect all these, you will always play bad. Instead, if you are a keyboardist, and you like gigging or similar.... ok, you can play standing. But this is not playing piano.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Still remember nights in the 60's, standing behind the mighty Farfisa - right foot on the volume pedal, and all my weight bearing down into the pointed toe of my left Beatle boot. Not pleasant.

Exactly so. Remember, though, that modern music is stripped of most of the qualities of classical.
Not always ... but it seems that the higher the "popular score" the cheaper, poorer the music ... to the point that a monkey could stand on his head and play some of it! smile
Originally Posted by Pianofortissimo
It depends what you want to do. If you want really play piano (particularly for classical music), sitting is the only possible position. Fingers position, hand position, arm position, elbow position..... these are things you can not change, and if you do not respect all these, you will always play bad. Instead, if you are a keyboardist, and you like gigging or similar.... ok, you can play standing. But this is not playing piano.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianofortissimo
If you want really play piano (particularly for classical music), sitting is the only possible position. Fingers position, hand position, arm position, elbow position..... these are things you can not change, and if you do not respect all these, you will always play bad.

But how would fngers position, hand position, arm position, elbow position be dependent on what is happening below your waist? The piano stool only supports your butt, not your back, shoulders or arms.

Edit: I can see though that pedalling must be difficult while standing up.

Last edited by Animisha; 08/10/19 11:08 AM.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
R
R
I have an adjustable desk, and I have been seriously thinking of using the base or modifying the desk (a second desk) to create a sit/stand keyboard station.

Here's what I have:

https://www.fully.com/standing-desks/jarvis.html

They come in various sizes and trims.

Last edited by R111; 08/10/19 05:07 PM.
We have those at work, complete with second-party dual-arm monitor stand (quads in some cases).

Are the ones you linked to have a motorized lift? Because $449 for the small size ... with motor ... seems mighty inexpensive.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
We have those at work, complete with second-party dual-arm monitor stand (quads in some cases).

Are the ones you linked to have a motorized lift? Because $449 for the small size ... with motor ... seems mighty inexpensive.

They appear to be motorized, you can see the controls under the surface on the right hand side. There is a wide price range in motorized standing desks, I paid about $600 for my home office one without a surface. The ones I have seen in business offices have been much more expensive but also much sturdier with almost zero movement when fully raised, mine wobbles a bit. It's great for coding, particularly in the afternoon when lethargy sets in. smile

I don't see why you couldn't buy one without a surface and adapt it to install a slab dp. I think the only downside is that it is definitely not that portable.

Last edited by oneilt130; 08/10/19 06:46 PM.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I am certainly In the minority but I prefer to (and only) play my digital pianos / keyboards standing. Of course I play my acoustic sitting....

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
You could always just buy something like this (home version, business version holds more weight):

https://www.autonomous.ai/standing-desks/diy-smart-desk-kit?option16=37&option17=40

You can sit your keyboard(piano) directly on it if you want to go cheap. If you want an actual slab of wood you can either buy the entire setup from that company, or buy a slab from Ikea or somewhere.

Last edited by Maconi; 08/10/19 09:34 PM.
It's odd that these were meant to be desks. They have no drawers. They have no keyboard tray. They'd have nothing you'd expect from a desk other than a flat surface.

They might serve better as keyboard stands than as desks!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I myself have a spinal disc protrusion (a slightly better state of disc herniation) and would sometimes suffer from a sciatica pain in my leg while playing the piano sitting. That’s the reason why I use a kneeling chair at my office when working for long hours at a computer. Some colleagues use standing desks. I might have to try. With that in mind I would like to play a piano standing but the immediate problem is use of pedals which would lead to loss of balance. Let alone using both soft and damper pedals. I’m skeptical.

Last edited by CyberGene; 08/11/19 09:32 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
It's funny that a seemingly similar problem can have opposite effects ...

I recent began have back pain, with pains shooting down my legs. An MRI revealed stenosis and arthritis at L4/L5.

Sitting is completely pain free, but standing and walking is a problem. PT has helped, but my long-term situation is not yet clear.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I approach the idea of standing as an opportunity to change from a fixed sitting to a flexible -standing- position, and in the process alleviate some of the issues associated with sitting for long periods of time.
Ideally, one can perform different repertoire whilst standing; also transcribe, compose, arrange, play along to YouTube videos, and try other alternatives to the conventional pedal-heavy-sit-down repertoire. If standing, one is more likely to stretch, take little walks and back; whereas, sitting is more static and constrained. Keep in mind that we also spend hours on end driving, watching tv, and sitting in cubicles; and not enough time standing and moving. Exercise, anybody? No?

O
O

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission