2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

OT, but I was most surprised to read that Dudley Moore was the Organ Scholar at Magdalen College, Oxford, when he was student at Oxford. The idea of an Organ Scholar seems antiquated to me. (Sorry, you organ lovers out there! laugh )

The British believe in maintaining tradition wink .

Like organ scholars in university colleges (mainly Oxbridge) - the ones which have their own chapels of course - as well as collegiate choirs. The high school I attended had (and still has) two pipe organs - a huge one in the main assembly hall, where all students & teachers assemble every morning prior to classes, and another smaller one in the chapel, where Sunday services are held, and where most school concerts take place.

Someone has to play the organs to accompany the hymn singing, so when the Organist and Master of the Choristers (our choirmaster, who is also the Head of Music) is not present, the organist is the organ scholar.

Incidentally, one of our previous Prime Ministers was once an organ scholar at Oxford, though unlike Dudley Moore, he read Politics there, not Music.

If music be the food of love, play on!
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Whizbang
Originally Posted by Animisha
even a simple thing as pouring yourself a cup of coffee activates many brain areas

No, no. You have it wrong. The brain areas are only activated AFTER you have had your coffee.

Hahahaha!!
[Linked Image]

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MichaelJK
and before we all get too happy: even a simple thing as pouring yourself a cup of coffee activates many brain areas. Still, it's a nice picture.

I'm curious: what is it about this picture that makes you happy?

Just the idea that so many brain areas are involved in playing the piano. And actually, many times it does feel like a true brain work-out. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Originally Posted by bennevis

The high school I attended had (and still has) two pipe organs - a huge one in the main assembly hall, where all students & teachers assemble every morning prior to classes, and another smaller one in the chapel, where Sunday services are held, and where most school concerts take place.

We had to make do with a 9-6 Bluthner . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by peterws

The high school I attended had (and still has) two pipe organs - a huge one in the main assembly hall, where all students & teachers assemble every morning prior to classes, and another smaller one in the chapel, where Sunday services are held, and where most school concerts take place.

We had to make do with no-name uprights for the choir room, band/orchestra hall and auditorium. No grand pianos nor organs of any flavor (just s middle class school).

B
B
Originally Posted by dogperson

We had to make do with no-name uprights for the choir room, band hall and auditorium. No organs of any flavor (just s middle class school).

Lest anyone thinks that I went to a posh "public school" (i.e. private school) like Eton, the high school I went to was just an ordinary (predominantly middle-class) "grammar school".

The reason why it has pipe organs etc is because it's a very old & huge institution (circa 1800 wink ), and I can attest that the dormitories were pretty cold in the winter for the boarders like me. Maybe the windows are now double-glazed and the heating and insulation has been upgraded......

When I was there, it acquired its first grand piano (a seven-foot Yamaha), which was put in the chapel. Our best music student blessed it by performing Liszt's Dante Sonata and Beethoven's Appassionata on it in a public concert, which helped to raise funds to pay for it. It's probably still the only grand piano in the school.

P.S. I just read about the school on Wiki, and discovered that its Chapel Choir (which has won several competitions) - of which I was once a member - had sung in Carnegie Hall as well as Westminster Abbey. Unfortunately, I was no longer a student at the time, otherwise I could tell everyone I'd performed in Carnegie Hall grin.

Originally Posted by MichaelJK
and before we all get too happy: even a simple thing as pouring yourself a cup of coffee activates many brain areas. Still, it's a nice picture.

I'm curious: what is it about this picture that makes you happy?

Just the idea that so many brain areas are involved in playing the piano. And actually, many times it does feel like a true brain work-out. smile

Yeah, it's crazy how much is going on at once!

Originally Posted by dogperson

We had to make do with no-name uprights for the choir room, band hall and auditorium. No organs of any flavor (just s middle class school).

Lest anyone thinks that I went to a posh "public school" (i.e. private school) like Eton, the high school I went to was just an ordinary (predominantly middle-class) "grammar school".

The reason why it has pipe organs etc is because it's a very old & huge institution (circa 1800 wink ), and I can attest that the dormitories were pretty cold in the winter for the boarders like me. Maybe the windows are now double-glazed and the heating and insulation has been upgraded......

When I was there, it acquired its first grand piano (a seven-foot Yamaha), which was put in the chapel. Our best music student blessed it by performing Liszt's Dante Sonata and Beethoven's Appassionata on it in a public concert, which helped to raise funds to pay for it. It's probably still the only grand piano in the school.

P.S. I just read about the school on Wiki, and discovered that its Chapel Choir (which has won several competitions) - of which I was once a member - had sung in Carnegie Hall as well as Westminster Abbey. Unfortunately, I was no longer a student at the time, otherwise I could tell everyone I'd performed in Carnegie Hall grin.

And I thought our grammar School was posh . . . everyone else did, too. It rapidly became a Comprehensive!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
B
B

And I thought our grammar School was posh . . . everyone else did, too. It rapidly became a Comprehensive!

My old alma mater could never possibly turn comprehensive.

Comprehensive students would never deign to walk half a mile from one end of the school to the other: the distance needed to safely separate the boys from the girls - the ones who were boarding, that is - to ensure no hanky-panky could (inadvertently, of course) occur. No sheds to hide in between either - just a big expanse of concrete and grass. But we in the know know of hidden dark corridors in the main building.......

I suspect that's why the Chapel Choir is so popular among all students who could read music - so that the two main sexes (there are now more than two, of course) could mingle, and even sing in harmony (we were usually harmonious, even in the intricate counterpoint of Jesu, meine Freude - as long as those pesky tenors didn't go flat).

Another good reason why comprehensive students would never fit in was that anything challenging could - and would - be turned into epic near-death experiences: when it was snowing heavily one weekend, the duty master thought it would be a good idea to bus willing victims to the mountains and attempt to summit the highest one through the blizzard and white-out conditions. Never mind hypothermia and frostbite - it was good for moral fibre, especially as none of us boys (only the boys volunteered to be victims, of course) had proper waterproofs or boots grin.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
People who sees the picture would be inspired to play piano. Even those who are thinking of quitting would see that playing music is a good way to keep the brain healthy & active.

Thanks for sharing...

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
playing music is a good way to keep the brain healthy & active.

Yes, when it comes to Use it or lose it, playing the piano is a great way of using your brain!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission