Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
71 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, clothearednincompo, Amanda_S, cmb13, CoJac, Bill McKaig,RPT, Animisha, Burkie, almo82, 16 invisible), 1,136 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Your brain on piano [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2878133
08/09/19 05:46 PM
08/09/19 05:46 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
B

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

OT, but I was most surprised to read that Dudley Moore was the Organ Scholar at Magdalen College, Oxford, when he was student at Oxford. The idea of an Organ Scholar seems antiquated to me. (Sorry, you organ lovers out there! laugh )

The British believe in maintaining tradition wink .

Like organ scholars in university colleges (mainly Oxbridge) - the ones which have their own chapels of course - as well as collegiate choirs. The high school I attended had (and still has) two pipe organs - a huge one in the main assembly hall, where all students & teachers assemble every morning prior to classes, and another smaller one in the chapel, where Sunday services are held, and where most school concerts take place.

Someone has to play the organs to accompany the hymn singing, so when the Organist and Master of the Choristers (our choirmaster, who is also the Head of Music) is not present, the organist is the organ scholar.

Incidentally, one of our previous Prime Ministers was once an organ scholar at Oxford, though unlike Dudley Moore, he read Politics there, not Music.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Your brain on piano [Re: Whizbang] #2878203
08/10/19 01:44 AM
08/10/19 01:44 AM
Sweden
Animisha Online content OP
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by Whizbang
Originally Posted by Animisha
even a simple thing as pouring yourself a cup of coffee activates many brain areas

No, no. You have it wrong. The brain areas are only activated AFTER you have had your coffee.

Hahahaha!!
[Linked Image]

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Your brain on piano [Re: MichaelJK] #2878204
08/10/19 01:45 AM
08/10/19 01:45 AM
Sweden
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by MichaelJK
and before we all get too happy: even a simple thing as pouring yourself a cup of coffee activates many brain areas. Still, it's a nice picture.

I'm curious: what is it about this picture that makes you happy?

Just the idea that so many brain areas are involved in playing the piano. And actually, many times it does feel like a true brain work-out. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Re: Your brain on piano [Re: bennevis] #2878234
08/10/19 06:10 AM
08/10/19 06:10 AM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Originally Posted by bennevis

The high school I attended had (and still has) two pipe organs - a huge one in the main assembly hall, where all students & teachers assemble every morning prior to classes, and another smaller one in the chapel, where Sunday services are held, and where most school concerts take place.

We had to make do with a 9-6 Bluthner . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Your brain on piano [Re: peterws] #2878239
08/10/19 06:22 AM
08/10/19 06:22 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by peterws

The high school I attended had (and still has) two pipe organs - a huge one in the main assembly hall, where all students & teachers assemble every morning prior to classes, and another smaller one in the chapel, where Sunday services are held, and where most school concerts take place.

We had to make do with no-name uprights for the choir room, band/orchestra hall and auditorium. No grand pianos nor organs of any flavor (just s middle class school).

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Your brain on piano [Re: dogperson] #2878247
08/10/19 06:42 AM
08/10/19 06:42 AM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

Originally Posted by dogperson

We had to make do with no-name uprights for the choir room, band hall and auditorium. No organs of any flavor (just s middle class school).

Lest anyone thinks that I went to a posh "public school" (i.e. private school) like Eton, the high school I went to was just an ordinary (predominantly middle-class) "grammar school".

The reason why it has pipe organs etc is because it's a very old & huge institution (circa 1800 wink ), and I can attest that the dormitories were pretty cold in the winter for the boarders like me. Maybe the windows are now double-glazed and the heating and insulation has been upgraded......

When I was there, it acquired its first grand piano (a seven-foot Yamaha), which was put in the chapel. Our best music student blessed it by performing Liszt's Dante Sonata and Beethoven's Appassionata on it in a public concert, which helped to raise funds to pay for it. It's probably still the only grand piano in the school.

P.S. I just read about the school on Wiki, and discovered that its Chapel Choir (which has won several competitions) - of which I was once a member - had sung in Carnegie Hall as well as Westminster Abbey. Unfortunately, I was no longer a student at the time, otherwise I could tell everyone I'd performed in Carnegie Hall grin.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Your brain on piano [Re: Animisha] #2879586
08/14/19 03:50 PM
08/14/19 03:50 PM
Connecticut, USA
MichaelJK Offline

MichaelJK  Offline

Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by MichaelJK
and before we all get too happy: even a simple thing as pouring yourself a cup of coffee activates many brain areas. Still, it's a nice picture.

I'm curious: what is it about this picture that makes you happy?

Just the idea that so many brain areas are involved in playing the piano. And actually, many times it does feel like a true brain work-out. smile

Yeah, it's crazy how much is going on at once!

Re: Your brain on piano [Re: bennevis] #2879602
08/14/19 04:44 PM
08/14/19 04:44 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Originally Posted by dogperson

We had to make do with no-name uprights for the choir room, band hall and auditorium. No organs of any flavor (just s middle class school).

Lest anyone thinks that I went to a posh "public school" (i.e. private school) like Eton, the high school I went to was just an ordinary (predominantly middle-class) "grammar school".

The reason why it has pipe organs etc is because it's a very old & huge institution (circa 1800 wink ), and I can attest that the dormitories were pretty cold in the winter for the boarders like me. Maybe the windows are now double-glazed and the heating and insulation has been upgraded......

When I was there, it acquired its first grand piano (a seven-foot Yamaha), which was put in the chapel. Our best music student blessed it by performing Liszt's Dante Sonata and Beethoven's Appassionata on it in a public concert, which helped to raise funds to pay for it. It's probably still the only grand piano in the school.

P.S. I just read about the school on Wiki, and discovered that its Chapel Choir (which has won several competitions) - of which I was once a member - had sung in Carnegie Hall as well as Westminster Abbey. Unfortunately, I was no longer a student at the time, otherwise I could tell everyone I'd performed in Carnegie Hall grin.

And I thought our grammar School was posh . . . everyone else did, too. It rapidly became a Comprehensive!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Your brain on piano [Re: peterws] #2879611
08/14/19 05:35 PM
08/14/19 05:35 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

And I thought our grammar School was posh . . . everyone else did, too. It rapidly became a Comprehensive!

My old alma mater could never possibly turn comprehensive.

Comprehensive students would never deign to walk half a mile from one end of the school to the other: the distance needed to safely separate the boys from the girls - the ones who were boarding, that is - to ensure no hanky-panky could (inadvertently, of course) occur. No sheds to hide in between either - just a big expanse of concrete and grass. But we in the know know of hidden dark corridors in the main building.......

I suspect that's why the Chapel Choir is so popular among all students who could read music - so that the two main sexes (there are now more than two, of course) could mingle, and even sing in harmony (we were usually harmonious, even in the intricate counterpoint of Jesu, meine Freude - as long as those pesky tenors didn't go flat).

Another good reason why comprehensive students would never fit in was that anything challenging could - and would - be turned into epic near-death experiences: when it was snowing heavily one weekend, the duty master thought it would be a good idea to bus willing victims to the mountains and attempt to summit the highest one through the blizzard and white-out conditions. Never mind hypothermia and frostbite - it was good for moral fibre, especially as none of us boys (only the boys volunteered to be victims, of course) had proper waterproofs or boots grin.

Re: Your brain on piano [Re: Animisha] #2879671
08/14/19 10:59 PM
08/14/19 10:59 PM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
People who sees the picture would be inspired to play piano. Even those who are thinking of quitting would see that playing music is a good way to keep the brain healthy & active.

Thanks for sharing...

Re: Your brain on piano [Re: thepianoplayer416] #2879695
08/15/19 02:03 AM
08/15/19 02:03 AM
Sweden
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
playing music is a good way to keep the brain healthy & active.

Yes, when it comes to Use it or lose it, playing the piano is a great way of using your brain!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Only took a year to choose a DP!
by CoJac. 09/22/19 07:24 AM
How many composers can you identify?
by Tyrone Slothrop. 09/22/19 07:15 AM
Dave Frank in Budapest 9/30 - 10/2
by Dfrankjazz. 09/22/19 06:58 AM
Sheetmusic direct midi playback
by daz100. 09/22/19 05:45 AM
Database error on ABF Recital Index
by MarieJ. 09/22/19 03:02 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,156
Posts2,871,952
Members94,474
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission