2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
My memory is fading but I think it was newer_player who first discovered it. He fixed it by loading two instances where each one has only one set of the microphones and then swapping the left-right of only one of them and claiming it improved it drastically. Haven’t tried it myself. And then Jeff admitted that he discovered one of the mic sets was indeed swapped during the development and so he fixed it but his other words were around the lines of “I’m not sure whether I kept the proper (swapped) set for the final version, I may have forgotten to do so, need to check that again” and we never heard from him about that.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Found it, here’s Jeff’s reply

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
IIRC you only have to load two instances if you use close and ambient mics together. If you use ambient only (which I think is the actual binaural recording) you can just mute the close mics and flip the perspective to audience. Did I remember that correctly or was there some element to the close.mics which are binaural as well?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
IIRC you only have to load two instances if you use close and ambient mics together. If you use ambient only (which I think is the actual binaural recording) you can just mute the close mics and flip the perspective to audience. Did I remember that correctly or was there some element to the close.mics which are binaural as well?

I think this is correct.

The binaural head mics are KU100 (full>player>default). The KU100 are the ambient channels so you could just mute the close KM84 channels. I suppose that should provide the most "binaural" sound of all and mixing in other mics spoils the "binaural" effect.

Regardless, I preferred mixing in other mics at lower "volumes" with the KU100.

The channel swapping quesiton relating to the binaural mics is clear as day to me. But Garritans tech people looked at that on a technical phone call and politely disagreed providing some technical explainations. The opinion at PianoWorld is split. You should try and decide which you prefer; just run two instances of Garritan and the simple test will take 5 minutes.

But it doesn't matter much to me in the end. I typically use the full>classic>default (with very minor tweaks that are popular here) or more recently rach3master's nice settings.

https://www.garritan.com/blog/abbey-road-cfx-concert-grand-player-perspective/

Last edited by newer player; 08/07/19 11:09 PM.
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Kawai James
It follows the sane design cues as the K-x00 series [...]

I'm glad Kawai didn't go for insane design cues. laugh

(And this isn't only a joke on the supposed typo. The design is fine.)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
lol, whoops!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
^^^ Grammarly works great at catching those kinds of typos. Maybe not that typo though.

Update: Grammarly caught that typo. I use it in the Brave or Chrome browser and it really helps catch silly mistakes.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nice! Maybe I can convince my girlfriend to trade in her Kawai acoustic for the NV5 ;0

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by newer player
[The opinion at PianoWorld is split. You should try and decide which you prefer; just run two instances of Garritan and the simple test will take 5 minutes.

But it doesn't matter much to me in the end. I typically use the full>classic>default (with very minor tweaks that are popular here) or more recently rach3master's nice settings.

Yeah, I'm typically quite sensitive to/experienced with binaural effects, and I'm solidly in the "split" category--in the sense that I can't decide whether performer or audience on the ambient channel is correct. The binaural effect, if any, is quite subtle to begin with, and doesn't have really clear stereo separation (which is kind of how a real piano is if you sit further away I think).

Even after trying each, I also just threw up my hands and defaulted to the Classic/Full as well.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by newer player
[The opinion at PianoWorld is split. You should try and decide which you prefer; just run two instances of Garritan and the simple test will take 5 minutes.

Yeah, I'm typically quite sensitive to/experienced with binaural effects, and I'm solidly in the "split" category--in the sense that I can't decide whether performer or audience on the ambient channel is correct. The binaural effect, if any, is quite subtle to begin with, and doesn't have really clear stereo separation (which is kind of how a real piano is if you sit further away I think).

Even after trying each, I also just threw up my hands and defaulted to the Classic/Full as well.

I wonder if it would be possible to figure it out using an analysis tool?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Indeed the classic/full is beautiful in Garritan CFX.

The binaural dummy head placement was a practical challenge as the professional piano player was seated at the piano. I can't remember if Garritan put the dummy head just above or just behind the pianist (I do remember the marketing photo in the Garritan CFX glossy brochure is wrong and was taken during the testing process). So maybe the binaural sound was slightly compromised by interference from the pianists body and by imperfect placement of the dummy head.

Phasing effects and ambience probably are other factors making the L/R channel swapping difficult to discern. As Tyrone notes, one could just analyse the mechanical sounds to get to the bottom of the question.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm sure Yamaha don't need a pianist when sampling their CFX piano since they have perfect Disclavier system for precise control of velocities. It's probably even an automated sampling process, you start it and then go after one day and all is sampled systematically wink VSL also claim they use robotized hand that presses the keys so the entire sampling process might be orchestrated by a computer.

Maybe somebody will develop Piannerly ... an app that will fix my piano mistakes. smile
Originally Posted by HwyStar
^^^ Grammarly works great at catching those kinds of typos. Maybe not that typo though.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Now MacMacMac what fun would that be smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
NOVUS NV5 Main Features

Anybody know the name of the song she played?

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
She starts with Chopin Prelude op.20, no.20 in Cm and then plays no. 16 in B-flat minor.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
She sure makes those keys fly smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ah, no. 16 is the one I missed. I think it's Opus 28, however. Thanks, CyberGene.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Indeed, it’s op. 28, not 20, it’s a typo, I repeated the prelude number...

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I'm sure Yamaha don't need a pianist when sampling their CFX piano since they have perfect Disclavier system for precise control of velocities. It's probably even an automated sampling process, you start it and then go after one day and all is sampled systematically wink VSL also claim they use robotized hand that presses the keys so the entire sampling process might be orchestrated by a computer.

That's a good point. Didn't know Disklavier was available on CFX but that would definitely be a great way to get perfectly consistent sampling velocities.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission