2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
34 registered members (earlofmar, ChrisGoesPiano, BachToTheFuture, amyram, Coda9, albydooby, Andrew_G, David B, 7 invisible), 230 guests, and 428 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 48 of 65 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 64 65
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2875999 08/04/19 11:56 AM
Serge88 Offline
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sarah65
Originally Posted by Serge88
I started 7 days ago and I do the SASR test every day but I didn't see any repetition yet.
I also practise the BachScholar and for hand together, I need several tries to succeed. I wonder if it's really good for sight reading because at some point memory kicks in to help play the exercise.

In grades 1-2 BachScholar you don't have to put both hands together. Josh Mills told me that. You do right / left and when you have done all the exercises you can try the exams, also hands separately.

If I don't do hands together, I'm stuck at 67% completed which is not good for my grade. Also I'm an intermediate student so practising hands separately is not a challenge.

Who's Josh Mills ?

BTW, in your signature I think Piano Marvel is misspelled.

"The piano keys are black and white but they sound like a million colors in your mind.“
Maria Cristina

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Serge88] #2876008 08/04/19 12:28 PM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

Who's Josh Mills ?

Josh Mills is an employee of Piano Marvel, he is also present here and on the facebook group of PM

BTW, in your signature I think Piano Marvel is misspelled.

Thank you, I had not seen it myself.

Piano Marvel level 4B and everything I like smile
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Serge88] #2876010 08/04/19 12:30 PM
GidgetKeys Offline

Who's Josh Mills ?

Josh is an employee of Piano Marvel and participates in this forum as well as the Piano for Beginners Facebook group. He does the Piano Marvel Livestream videos which you can find linked in the FB group or on Piano Marvel's YouTube channel.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2876087 08/04/19 05:12 PM
Serge88 Offline
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Ok thanks.

"The piano keys are black and white but they sound like a million colors in your mind.“
Maria Cristina

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2876115 08/04/19 06:30 PM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I have a question for regular users: does it matter whether I do either the method or techniques first? Thx

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Pianoperformance] #2876215 08/05/19 04:21 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Pianoperformance
I have a question for regular users: does it matter whether I do either the method or techniques first? Thx

It does not really matter, as long as you make sure that you are approximately in the same level for both. Technique level 1a -----> method level 1a etc. In particular, make sure that technique does not lag behind, because that becomes relatively more difficult than method, but you do need the technique if you go higher in method.

Last edited by Sarah65; 08/05/19 04:21 AM.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2876221 08/05/19 05:01 AM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Thx Sarah65!

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2876259 08/05/19 07:50 AM
Peter Hontaru Offline
Originally Posted by Peter Hontaru
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Peter Hontaru
Were the SASR "exam" pieces the same ones from the technique series? I only tried it out for a couple days and I saw a lot of repetition but maybe it's just that I was unlucky! smile

I’ve mentioned it before on this thread but because of the repetition, unless you have a bad memory, I do not recommend using SASR to improve your sightreading as you will start to memorize the test fragments. Better to learn sight reading using the other methods on PM already mentioned earlier in this thread (such as BachScholar sight reading lessons, etc) and then use the SASR no more than once every week or two to assess your level at that time. I found my SASR score was improving just from inadvertent memorization of the test fragments, and not because my sight reading was improving! frown

Thank you so much for the detailed message Tyrone! it definitely helps.

I had a similar experience but wasn't sure if it was just because I used it for a very short amount of time and it was due to bad luck. I plan on buying BachScholar's book and focus on that in order to improve my sight reading!

BachScholar is on Piano Marvel, why buy a book? Just curious smile

It is too difficult for me to play off my laptop given my setup and limited space in my bedroom. I'd also much rather play off paper than something electronic, if possible. But main limitation is by far is my piano setup and I can't shift things around my bedroom every time I practice frown

Jan '18 - Started playing
Nov '18 - Grade 3 (d)
Nov '19 - Grade 5 (p)

??? '20 - Grade 6

If you'd like to follow my progress, recitals, experiences, check out my YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/PeterHontaru
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Serge88] #2876306 08/05/19 09:54 AM
M
millsj1134 Offline
M
I started 7 days ago and I do the SASR test every day but I didn't see any repetition yet.
I also practise the BachScholar and for hand together, I need several tries to succeed. I wonder if it's really good for sight reading because at some point memory kicks in to help play the exercise.

I can say with complete confidence that it helps IMMENSELY even though you stop sight-reading at one point and move to reading. It’s in the reading phase that you are boosting that skill of reading from a score as well as working out technical skills, for example making your left hand continually feel a octave. That’s why getting 100’s on those exercises are so stinking valuable. You’re learning so so so so so so much. Oh my. It’s a game changer. I love BachScholar ❤️

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: millsj1134] #2876389 08/05/19 01:47 PM
Serge88 Offline
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by millsj1134

I can say with complete confidence that it helps IMMENSELY even though you stop sight-reading at one point and move to reading. It’s in the reading phase that you are boosting that skill of reading from a score as well as working out technical skills, for example making your left hand continually feel a octave. That’s why getting 100’s on those exercises are so stinking valuable. You’re learning so so so so so so much. Oh my. It’s a game changer. I love BachScholar ❤️

thumb

Maria Cristina

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: akc42] #2876522 08/05/19 09:36 PM
TX-Bluebonnet Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Has any of you tried this yet? "BachScholar's Sight-Reading" They can be picked up at the library. They are great fun to do, highly recommended!

Yes, I am working on it. I just do the exercises in prepare mode only though since my main focus right now is on learning to read the notes (and intervals) and where they are on the keyboard. I'm also randomly picking easy stuff from the library for more variety to practice my reading.

Originally Posted by akc42
PianoTV is encouraging people to do a streak of 7, 14 or 30 days practice on Piano Marvel. Just go to Profile and add PianoTV and you can win entry into draw for an iPad.

akc42, are you doing this challenge? Anyone else here doing it, besides me? I have a 7 day streak so far. That iPad is mine!! whistle

Last edited by TX-Bluebonnet; 08/05/19 09:37 PM.

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: TX-Bluebonnet] #2876590 08/06/19 12:28 AM
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I’m doing the challenge. 10 days so far, hoping for 30 but I’m flying to Amsterdam in two weeks and might lose a day due to flight and time change so probably will wind up at 24.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2876721 08/06/19 07:56 AM
Serge88 Offline
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I'm also doing the PianoTv challenge.

Maria Cristina

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: TX-Bluebonnet] #2876865 08/06/19 12:03 PM
akc42 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet

akc42, are you doing this challenge? Anyone else here doing it, besides me? I have a 7 day streak so far. That iPad is mine!! whistle

I sure am - I am not sure of my start date - I left a comment on the youtube video saying how to assign PianoTV as your teacher if you already have a subscription - which Josh confirmed was correct, but the youtube comment isn't dated - just says "a week ago"

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: akc42] #2877055 08/06/19 08:54 PM
TX-Bluebonnet Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I’m doing the challenge. 10 days so far, hoping for 30 but I’m flying to Amsterdam in two weeks and might lose a day due to flight and time change so probably will wind up at 24.
Hopefully you'll be able to get your 30 day streak in. If not, I wonder if 2 separate 7-day steaks count as 2 entries. Good luck!

I'm also doing the PianoTv challenge.
Yay, that's great. Let's try for a 30 day streak! I'm finding this challenge to be quite motivating.

I sure am - I am not sure of my start date - I left a comment on the youtube video saying how to assign PianoTV as your teacher if you already have a subscription - which Josh confirmed was correct, but the youtube comment isn't dated - just says "a week ago"
I can see all the days I've been doing this (along with how many minutes each day) by using the reports feature in Piano Marvel. Have you looked there? Sounds like you're doing good if you started at least a week ago. Keep it up!

Linda

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: TX-Bluebonnet] #2877154 08/07/19 03:46 AM
akc42 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I can see all the days I've been doing this (along with how many minutes each day) by using the reports feature in Piano Marvel. Have you looked there? Sounds like you're doing good if you started at least a week ago. Keep it up!

The problem is that I already had a subscription and was using it every day before the challenge. This means the report just continues. Now its more than 7 days and I can't see further back. Before this challenge I created myself as my own teacher. That way I got access to loads more reports. But now I am in the PianoTV class, I can't do that (I don't think)

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: akc42] #2877222 08/07/19 08:18 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
[quote=TX-Bluebonnet]
[quote=akc42]
The problem is that I already had a subscription and was using it every day before the challenge. This means the report just continues. Now its more than 7 days and I can't see further back. Before this challenge I created myself as my own teacher. That way I got access to loads more reports. But now I am in the PianoTV class, I can't do that (I don't think)

Can't you create two different teachers and use them separately with reports?

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2877326 08/07/19 12:31 PM
GidgetKeys Offline
Can't you create two different teachers and use them separately with reports?

I just tried it. If you set yourself up as the teacher, it automatically replaces the previous teacher. It would be nice if all those reports were just available to the individual without needing a teacher to be assigned The list was long. I had no idea. I guess the thing to do is have yourself listed as the teacher.

I see you up there on that streak list, Sarah65! Looks like one more spot might be it unless someone falls off the wagon. Great job!

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: akc42] #2877459 08/07/19 08:01 PM
TX-Bluebonnet Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Oh, I didn't realize that. Looking back in this thread I see that I actually started the challenge on July 27 which is 12 days ago. Time sure does fly! I'd assumed from that report that I was at day 7, not realizing it only showed the last 7 days. Anyway, I poked around some more and found a "Day Streak" feature on the Piano Marvel dashboard. There's a red "New" arrow pointing at it. If you click on the Day Streak box it opens in a new window. From there you can click on the "individual" or "class" tabs. For me it's showing my individual and class rank are the same, with the longest streak and current streak both at 12 days. I don't remember if I used PM on any previous consecutive days before selecting PianoTV as my teacher. If I did I would think my individual streak would be longer than the class streak.

Linda

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: TX-Bluebonnet] #2877518 08/08/19 04:42 AM
akc42 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Oh, I didn't realize that. Looking back in this thread I see that I actually started the challenge on July 27 which is 12 days ago. Time sure does fly! I'd assumed from that report that I was at day 7, not realizing it only showed the last 7 days. Anyway, I poked around some more and found a "Day Streak" feature on the Piano Marvel dashboard. There's a red "New" arrow pointing at it. If you click on the Day Streak box it opens in a new window. From there you can click on the "individual" or "class" tabs. For me it's showing my individual and class rank are the same, with the longest streak and current streak both at 12 days. I don't remember if I used PM on any previous consecutive days before selecting PianoTV as my teacher. If I did I would think my individual streak would be longer than the class streak.

I am not sure that helps much - I have a current streak of 19 days (Max streak 119) and this isn't all in the pianoTv class. Anyway - the "Class" seems to mean which streak class are you in from 7, 14, 30, 90, 180. I'm in the 90 class because my longest streak is 119.

There are other reports under the ranks for Method and Technique ranks, and because I am in the 50K points club in both of these I appear in the reports. Only under these reports there seems to be "Individual", "Class" and "Group". Individual is clearly just me - but the "Class" Rank shows Me as my teacher (despite being in the PianoTV class when I scored my last points in each one) but in the "PianoTV" class under "Group". However, in the "Class" group I am 2nd in terms of points in this list with Josh showing as number 1. So if Josh is in the PianoTV class then maybe this is the PianoTV class and the "Teacher Name" heading to this report is just wrong.

So I am slightly confused

Page 48 of 65 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 64 65

Moderated by  BB Player 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
(Vent) I hate my new electric piano
by Mariner - 02/24/20 12:53 AM
Choice of two old pianos
by ksdaddy - 02/23/20 07:59 PM
Kawai "Harmonic Imaging" - Progressive vs XL
by Ragtime2k - 02/23/20 07:35 PM
Garritan CFX problem
by kbrod1 - 02/23/20 07:04 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,156
Posts2,929,259
Members96,091
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission