2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by TomLC
If it uses the true Mill. III upright action, it will be deeper. And with a K200 soundboard it will be taller than the NU1x. I wonder if it will have the same damper tech. as the Novus NV10?

Dampers work differently in uprights (there's not as much noticeable change to the key weight when the damper is "lifted"). I would expect in an upright, you might instead want to simulate the right "soft" pedal, which typically moves all of the hammers closer to the strings (and creates a dead zone at the beginning of the keypress).

I've seen some boogie woogie and stride players use this to lighten and "speed up" the action for fast play.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

I haven't even seen it yet. But I might trade in the NV grand action with speakers for an upright K300 Aures if they are the same price. I think I will go to the dealer tomorrow and try one out. smile
It's an acoustic piano.........

TomLC, I am very curious what you will decide. Keep us updated.

R
R
I"m getting a bad case of GAS> cool Not for this NV Upright. But for the Aures.

I haven't even seen it yet. But I might trade in the NV grand action with speakers for an upright K300 Aures if they are the same price. I think I will go to the dealer tomorrow and try one out. smile

It's an acoustic piano.........

Tom, waiting your news and decide after try.
K200 aures seems like sale on JP market only, so K300aures is the best choice, and bigger soundboard.
If there is no model without strings in future, I will consider K-series Aures too for upgrading my CA98

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
But, Rob, there is a model ‘without strings’, it’s called the Novus “upright”.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I will try to check out the K300 Aures today. I used to have a K200 ATX2. It was too loud to play in my home, the electronics were two generations old, and there were no speakers at all. So the CS11 was an upgrade to the digital aspect with headphones and I could turn down the volume and play without headphones. The Aures addresses all of the shortcomings of the K200 ATX2. A bigger issue may be the size. I understand you can play the larger piano more softly than the smaller. More loudly too. Is that true?

So what I need to consider, IF I find I prefer it to the NV10, is the cost to make the switch, and can the movers get it into my small office/study. I remember the K200 barely made one of the turns in the hallway. Thanks to this forum, I am a much better negotiator thN before. So the cost won’t be the primary deciding factor. But, I might find I don't like at all compared to my Novus.

Kawai NV10
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Seriously, why are you thinking about parting with the Novus? Isn’t it a ‘great’ instrument? At least a year ago, by all accounts, it was considered the best thing since sliced bread. What happened? Was it the hissing, the flying hammers, or the “cumbersome” interface/touch screen?

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Pete14
Seriously, why are you thinking about parting with the Novus? Isn’t it a ‘great’ instrument? At least a year ago, by all accounts, it was considered the best thing since sliced bread. What happened? Was it the hissing, the flying hammers, or the “cumbersome” interface/touch screen?

In this case, it sounds like the worst possible DP scenario: the comparison to a real, acoustic piano smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
R
R
But, Rob, there is a model ‘without strings’, it’s called the Novus “upright”.

Yes, I known, but this model has almost same size soundboard of my CA98 (maybe also has mid-high range speakers).
It's for me, only means a upright keyboard CA98 or CS11.
But I pay more attention to the full function(without normal speakers) and fulls size (upright standard soundboard K200 or higher).
Btw, from another test video, I noticed that strings are also important on digital mode. They are vibrating together with the soundboard driven by transducers. It will create more natural and nice sound than soundboard only.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa

In this case, it sounds like the worst possible DP scenario: the comparison to a real, acoustic piano smile

Exactly, Gom.
Pete the NV10 is probably the best DP (hybrid) one can buy. But as I said it is still not a live acoustic piano. I know I don't represent most of you in the DP forum. I’m an old early intermediate player. 5 years. I’ve had teachers, but at my age I want to learn what I want to learn. I love music and play the old ballets. In high school I was lead drummer and played jazz in bars and clubs at 17/18 with my best friend who played piano and first trumpet. Later he learned every instrument and taught high school band and always performed until he died a few months ago. A genius! I gave up other hobbies to learn piano. I should have started 50 years ago. But we had the war, and I had to finish school and work to support my young family. I know, TMI. The point is to me it is all about the experience I feel when I sit before the instrument. The touch of the keys, the sound and vibrations.

That said, the chances I will make the switch is about 20%.

Kawai NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Disappointing. The local Kawai dealer, with is quite large, doesn't have the Aures in yet. He said at least another month. I played several K's and other upright pianos in the store. Including a K200atx3. I didn't like it much. Also a K300 and a K500. The sound just isn't pleasing to me. And I guess it's my lack of training, but I cannot play them softly. I have to press the key firmly to get it to move and it strikes a very loud note. I know there are 5 foot tall uprights that probably feel and sound great. But I didn't play any. I spend an hour playing various grands from 5ft. to 7ft. The one that I really liked was an SK5! Wouldn't you know! But I played it louder than I could at home. The GL30 and the GX3 were nice. But overall, I found that I prefer the Mil III action over some really high priced grand pianos. Including M&H, S&S, and Estonia. Suffice it to say, I didn't get that feeling I was looking for. So for now, in my opinion the NV10 is the best option. And I recommend that you who are interested in the Aures take a look at it too.

Kawai NV10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I hear you, Tom.

I play on uprights more than grands nowadays, and while they can be nice, and certainly authentic, particularly with regards to the resonance, they've just never really be "inspiring" to me in the way that a nice grand with the lid propped up can be.

It's kind of nice when GAS ends up affirming that what you already have is quite good, isn't it?

In any case, hope it quenches the fire for a bit, and you get a chance to try out the Aures when it finally does arrive.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I envy you guys. I have to hold my G.A.S. for another two years. frown

But that won't stop me from visiting my local mostly-Kawai dealer.
I don't remember seeing any Aures there last time (last November I think).
It's high time for me to pay another visit.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
That is what I was thinking in the store. I am glad I was able to "expel the gas".

I do keep messing with the NV10 sound looking for the ultimate. I gave up (again) on Garritan. I just can't get it to feel connected? It is all so subjective. But if you listen to all the uprights and small grand pianos in the store. They all all so different. The NV10 has a SK5 selection in the sound mode. I cranked up the resonance to 8. I have touch on heavy so I can turn the volume up a bit higher and it is a bit less bright. It is a delight to play and listen to. If you compare it to the sound you will get from a baby grand you can fit in your home, it is pretty nice. So for now I am happy. By the way, the Kawai tech stopped by the other night on his way home from work, and brought a damper spring he had modified. He put it in and the pedal is smooth as silk. smile

Kawai NV10
It's hard to get a sense of your position from just text ...

So I wonder: maybe it's time to immerse in the music ... in the art.

Just play. Work on the music, not on the piano choices.

Just a thought.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, it's a good thought. Just play the piano you got. Which is a great one to have. cool

Kawai NV10
K
K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVck7Tc_0lg just showed up on my Youtube subscriptions "Hybrid Piano NOVUS『NV5』" https://www.kawai.jp/product/nv5/

Last edited by Kougeru; 08/07/19 01:27 AM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kougeru
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVck7Tc_0lg just showed up on my Youtube subscriptions "Hybrid Piano NOVUS『NV5』" https://www.kawai.jp/product/nv5/

Cool video.

The NV5 looks very thin and sleek.

God Bless,
David

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
So, no binaural option and no USB-interface?

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
T
tblb Offline OP
OP Offline
T
650 000 yen !!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by tblb
650 000 yen !!

That’s roughly (currency conversion only) £5K, €5.46K or $6.1K - I’ll bet it will be more once it arrives in the stores.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission