2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,485 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
OP Offline
K
On the first day of the preliminary recitals, I heard two pianists play the Chinese Yangtze piano via medici.tv.

In contrast to the utterly underwhelming sample I encountered in Shanghai several years ago, this one actually sounded pretty decent. It sounded like a well-behaved Steinway to my ears

At the gala concert, I only saw four pianos on stage, so Kawai is no longer there?

So the current scoreboard is as follows:

Yamaha: 4
Yangtze: 2
Fazioli: 1
Steinway: 1

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Four years ago, a Shigeru Kawai was very popular. The company does organize their own international piano competition, though.

Also, last time, I believe everybody used Steinway for the concerto rounds (even if they had selected something else for the prior rounds).

Bosendorfer is absent, as well.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Waiting to see a NY Steinway on this competition stage

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
http://www.thestandard.com.hk/section-news.php?id=205941

The raise of chinese piano era or what? And the concert grand model is named "CGFX" crazy

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ah, Alexandre Kantorow is playing a Shigeru Kawai right now.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
W
W
I have never heard of the 'Yangtze' piano brand before. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Surely the pianos must be half-decent if they are being used in the Tchaikovsky piano competition...

Current: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X
Previous: Venables & Son Academy-168, Kawai K-15 E and Yamaha Clavinova CVP-208

"Insurance broker by day, classically trained pianist by... well, when I'm not working!"
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yangtze is made by Parson's Music in China, and is a reverse-engineered Steinway. It's OK.

YAMAHA Artist
M
M
Originally Posted by trandinhnamanh

The raise of chinese piano era or what? And the concert grand model is named "CGFX" crazy

Lol always better than CGFX 274 lol

M
M
And I wonder why other tier 1 piano manufacturers like C.Bechstein, Steingraeber, Grotrian-Steinweg and perhaps Sauter are not putting their pianos in major competitions. Instead we have Yamaha, who has only one top piano which is ,,CFX and rest is far below (in contrary to all others mentioned, Steinway and perhaps Fazioli).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by MrKaramba
Originally Posted by trandinhnamanh

Lol always better than CGFX 274 lol

Actually they have smaller models that named B212, A188 and M170. What a coincidence, lol

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Yangtze River Piano came up here in a thread nine years ago. A representative from Parsons commented at that time. I'd sure be interested in hearing from him again.

Larry.

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
And I wonder why other tier 1 piano manufacturers like C.Bechstein, Steingraeber, Grotrian-Steinweg and perhaps Sauter are not putting their pianos in major competitions.

I think that Steingraeber makes too few pianos to have anything at competitions. Additionally for Bechstein, although I would love to see them at a competition. G-S and Sauter, IMHO, do not care to make a piano designed for a modern concerto. That is not a knock on these brands. The G-S is a beautiful piano for solo work and chamber work.

Instead we have Yamaha, who has only one top piano which is ,,CFX and rest is far below (in contrary to all others mentioned, Steinway and perhaps Fazioli).

I beg to differ. Yamaha, along with the CFX, has many top tier pianos, including the entire CF and SX line of pianos.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
W
W
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

Instead we have Yamaha, who has only one top piano which is ,,CFX and rest is far below (in contrary to all others mentioned, Steinway and perhaps Fazioli).

I beg to differ. Yamaha, along with the CFX, has many top tier pianos, including the entire CF and SX line of pianos.

The Yamaha CF6 is one of the finest pianos I've played. I played it shortly after playing a bunch of Steinway Ds, Bs and As and preferred so much more than any of the Steinways.

Current: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X
Previous: Venables & Son Academy-168, Kawai K-15 E and Yamaha Clavinova CVP-208

"Insurance broker by day, classically trained pianist by... well, when I'm not working!"
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ken Iisaka
On the first day of the preliminary recitals, I heard two pianists play the Chinese Yangtze piano via medici.tv.

In contrast to the utterly underwhelming sample I encountered in Shanghai several years ago, this one actually sounded pretty decent. It sounded like a well-behaved Steinway to my ears

At the gala concert, I only saw four pianos on stage, so Kawai is no longer there?

So the current scoreboard is as follows:

Yamaha: 4
Yangtze: 2
Fazioli: 1
Steinway: 1

Does anyone have the final piano scoreboard for this competition? Did Yamaha win?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Does anyone have the final piano scoreboard for this competition? Did Yamaha win?

In the finals:

Steinway: 5
Yamaha: 1
Yangtze River: 1

1. Kantarow: Steinway
2. Mao: Steinway
2. Shishkin: Steinway
3. Broberg: Steinway
3. Melnikov: Steinway
3. Yemelyanov: Yamaha
4. An: Yangtze River

A
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
A
Does any piano company pay to play, either the competition (including direct payments, sponsorships, advertising, etc) or the performers (Brand Artist, sponsorship, payment, etc.)? If not, are pianos provided free to the competition? Thanks.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by astrotoy
Does any piano company pay to play, either the competition (including direct payments, sponsorships, advertising, etc) or the performers (Brand Artist, sponsorship, payment, etc.)? If not, are pianos provided free to the competition? Thanks.

In a perfect world, all the pianos are simply prepared and the contestants choose which piano they prefer for each round and that is the end of it.

However, in the real world, it can be somewhat different. As an example, at the Honens competition at the end of last year Fazioli and others claimed their pianos were "sidelined" and competitors were "pushed" towards Steinway.

IMHO, Steinway has always been aggressive when it came to coercing young artists towards their pianos, and these days they have lots of excellent competition. Juilliard, for instance, was one of the first schools to buy only Steinway pianos. But they have now bought a number of Fazioli pianos, along with Yamaha and Bösendorfer.

For pianists, there is at least a small semblance of the choice and variety that they enjoyed years ago.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Steinway has always been the big silver backed gorilla 🦍 in piano competitions and number of signed artists performing. If I was a competitor I might feel more confident performing with the known Boss Hogg instead of a different piano that I personally enjoyed.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
B
B
The winner (by a mile), Alexandre Kantorow, played Shigeru Kawai SK-EX all through the earlier rounds, and switched to Steinway for the finals. I wonder why - not enough projection in those big concertos (Tchaikovsky 2 and Brahms 2) perhaps? The Shigeru sounded great BTW.

Hopefully, Kawai will let him have access to their pianos in solo recitals now that he's made it big, just like Mikhail Pletnev seems to be able to get hold of a Shigeru wherever he plays.......even in deepest darkest Scotland (where my namesake resides wink ).

If music be the food of love, play on!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm posting the video of the second round and final round.
The Shigeru Kawai was chosen by Kantarow for a very difficult interpretation in both areas technique and dynamic. In the final round, he needed a drum and I'm not trying to be funny that piano is a drum a sounds like one.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission