2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
34 members (BlakeOR, ando, CyberGene, Alex C, Beowulf, AprilE, doctor S, antune, clothearednincompo, 5 invisible), 358 guests, and 515 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Idotdot Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I have been looking to buy a piano humidity control system and what I find online mostly is pads and liquid.

Is the whole kit including humidifier/dehumidifier, the controller etc. available somewhere ? I googled it but I couldn’t find it. Also, is the installation process DIY or would one need a piano tech ?

Last edited by Idotdot; 08/05/19 12:28 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Probably best to talk to your technician. If there's an issue needing one, he/she will be best to advise what is the best way of handling it.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
This is not a difficult installation, but it is also not a good DIY project. Placing components in the wrong way can result in damage to your piano. This is why the unit is not sold to the general public.

My company has had to replace a soundboard because the system was improperly installed by an independent technician. The unit seriously damaged the instrument in which it was installed. Speak with your technician.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila Area
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
The Science Channel on our piano restoration
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

My company has had to replace a soundboard because the system was improperly installed by an independent technician. The unit seriously damaged the instrument in which it was installed. Speak with your technician.

Rich, this is fascinating. Was it an upright or a grand? What actually happened? These devices are so simplistic that I have trouble imagining a first-timer's installation making any difference.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I imagine if you plugged the cords into the wrong outlets in the humidistat, placed the humidistat too close or too far from the tank, the pads were never changed and the pad sensor didn't shut down, or the humidistat malfunctioned, it could make the humidity situation worse in a piano. I think that's why the supplies and access to installation videos are typically sold through industry-only avenues, and the warranty only applies if a "certified" installer does the work.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

Rich, this is fascinating. Was it an upright or a grand? What actually happened? These devices are so simplistic that I have trouble imagining a first-timer's installation making any difference.

Hi Peter,

It was a very expensive grand. It was not old and it was in an area that needed climate control. The technician, who was certified, confused the plugs into the humidistat. So, when humidity, went down the system was drying the piano out. When the humidity went up, it started humidifying. When we received the piano the board looked terrible for a fairly new piano.

Fortunately, the tech. had liability insurance so he sent the piano to us and we dealt directly with the insurance company, as I remember.

However, I have seen some installations that put the humidistat too close to the reservoir and the poor system was sensing more humidity than there was, but that never resulted in an issue like this.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila Area
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
The Science Channel on our piano restoration
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I may be mistaken, but I thought Dampp Chaser, the manufacturer of the humidifier/dehumidifier systems for pianos, only sold to technicians and piano dealers...in an effort to make sure they are installed correctly. I don't think Joe Consumer can buy a Dampp Chaser system from the manufacturer directly.

August Förster 215
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
You could also consider whole room climate control. You can install these yourself and it helps more than just your piano.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by wouter79
You could also consider whole room climate control. You can install these yourself and it helps more than just your piano.

+1 thumb

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
My dehumidfier works very well here in Vancouver which is very humid.
For some in a challenging climate or living conditions perhaps a damp chaser
is justified.
Only an experienced technician in these devices should install.

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, if you want to DiY, I'd go the whole-room route. I'd prefer that anyway, except that whole-house is even better. As wouter79 pointed out, then it helps everything: pianos, furniture, people, pets, etc.

“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K

Originally Posted by Rickster

+1 thumb

Rick

Me three! Especially since I have guitars and wood recorders along with the pie-ann-ah,

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster

+1 thumb

Rick

+2. They work wonders, as does a good dehumidifier.

[Linked Image]
S
S
http://forum.pianoworld.com//gallery/42/full/11828.jpeg

Here’s the humidistat that I use with the Life Saver dehumidifier rods (I don’t need the humidifier component in the Bay Area). It’s made by Inkbird for greenhouses. For me it has these advantages over the decades old Life Saver one:
It has a digital read out that is readily viewable. I like to keep an eye on what is going on, thus avoiding the incident Rich talks about above and another case where a soundboard was ruined mentioned here on PW previously. It has a very sensitive external sensor and has been spot on accurate for the 2 yrs i’ve used it. It’s is calibratable and has an alarm function if the humidity under the soundboard drops below or exceeds a certain set amount. I don’t feel the necessity to use this, but it would have avoided both of the above incidents- one improper installation and the other a failure of the LS humidistat. Finally I don’t have to drill holes in the beams under my piano to mount it.

Last edited by Sanfrancisco; 08/06/19 03:43 AM.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Should I buy this Hazelton Bros Piano?
by siniarch - 04/14/21 01:29 AM
Not sure which piano to buy need some help.
by Artdealer718 - 04/14/21 01:21 AM
Appraising a piano?
by jsilva - 04/13/21 09:18 PM
Bleeding edge synth tech c.1980 for Rush
by newer player - 04/13/21 08:36 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,272
Posts3,082,150
Members101,182
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission