2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
48 members (Chrispy, chopinetto, 36251, blueviewlaguna., Boboulus, anotherscott, Andrew Gilpin, 8 invisible), 485 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano?
Piano World #2857122 06/09/19 10:06 PM
M
M
I love music. Seems like a pretty good reason to me.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
dogperson #2861583 06/22/19 11:19 AM
H
H
Thanks, Dogperson! I’m retired, started playing again just over two years ago and now have an old baby grand on which I play daily. It’s a great pleasure, and so therapeutic!!!! Carry on!

Henri in Florida
1959 Mason & Hamlin model B (my pride and joy!)
Piano World #2861606 06/22/19 11:40 AM
L
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Because I came to the realization that most of Bach’s keyboard works are too difficult to play on the classical guitar. I have an arrangement of the Goldberg Variations, it is beyond insane. I may never get to the Goldbergs on piano but I should be able to get to some of the inventions, and some of book one of the Well Tempered Clavier.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Piano World #2867426 07/08/19 04:49 PM
J
J
Both of my children studied piano/music seriously (4-18 years old). Now they have left home for college, I decided to follow in their footsteps and therefore began to play last September when my son went to college (more free time now). Starting at age 55 is not ideal but better late than never!

Started piano studies at age 55.The journey is more important than the result.
JDHMD #2867461 07/08/19 07:13 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jingdong
Both of my children studied piano/music seriously (4-18 years old). Now they have left home for college, I decided to follow in their footsteps and therefore began to play last September when my son went to college (more free time now). Starting at age 55 is not ideal but better late than never!

Good luck and enjoy your piano journey.

[Linked Image]
Piano World #2875764 08/03/19 05:32 PM
I recently restarted piano lessons after a 50-year hiatus. My father was a professional jazz/swing trumpeter who was eager to have me play an instrument. So at age 7 I began my lessons. My teacher was a kindly little old lady, but I just didn't have the aptitude, and the lessons became excruciating. By age 10 I'd had enough and opted to join the Girl Scouts instead. My father was so angry that he sold the piano. My mother said I'd be sorry. I hated it when she was right...

In the ensuing years I took voice lessons, sang opera (choruses and small parts), became an opera stage director (part-time -- I was a lawyer by day). I married an orchestra conductor and played minor percussion bits in some of his concerts. But the regret my mother had predicted followed me through all those years. It became even keener when a dear friend bequeathed us her old Chickering baby grand. I would eye it longingly, but I was too ashamed to play for more than a few minutes, even when I was alone.

Now I'm retired, from both law and opera directing, and I've taken the plunge back into piano lessons. When my teacher asked me to bring, for the first lesson, the last thing I had worked on, I brought my Michael Aaron Piano Course, Third Grade, with my name in childish scrawl and the date: 1968. He didn't laugh at me; he was, I think, touched that I still had it. I think it says something about my lifelong yearning for the piano. I sang for years, but the piano has a different voice, and somehow it appeals to me much more. I can't say why.

Linda

c. 1947 Chickering baby grand

Working on Schumann, Scenes from Childhood, op. 15; Joplin, "Solace"
Piano World #2875770 08/03/19 05:42 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Welcome Linda, my break was 40 years.

I like your story, many of us here have variations of it.

I wish you fulfillment and enjoyment in your learning and it sounds like you have found a teacher with empathy and supports what you do. That is great.

LCantoni #2875791 08/03/19 06:44 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LCantoni
I recently restarted piano lessons after a 50-year hiatus. My father was a professional jazz/swing trumpeter who was eager to have me play an instrument. So at age 7 I began my lessons. My teacher was a kindly little old lady, but I just didn't have the aptitude, and the lessons became excruciating. By age 10 I'd had enough and opted to join the Girl Scouts instead. My father was so angry that he sold the piano. My mother said I'd be sorry. I hated it when she was right...

In the ensuing years I took voice lessons, sang opera (choruses and small parts), became an opera stage director (part-time -- I was a lawyer by day). I married an orchestra conductor and played minor percussion bits in some of his concerts. But the regret my mother had predicted followed me through all those years. It became even keener when a dear friend bequeathed us her old Chickering baby grand. I would eye it longingly, but I was too ashamed to play for more than a few minutes, even when I was alone.

Now I'm retired, from both law and opera directing, and I've taken the plunge back into piano lessons. When my teacher asked me to bring, for the first lesson, the last thing I had worked on, I brought my Michael Aaron Piano Course, Third Grade, with my name in childish scrawl and the date: 1968. He didn't laugh at me; he was, I think, touched that I still had it. I think it says something about my lifelong yearning for the piano. I sang for years, but the piano has a different voice, and somehow it appeals to me much more. I can't say why.

Welcome to the PW family. Enjoy your new journey!

[Linked Image]
Piano World #2875819 08/03/19 08:10 PM
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Nice story, Linda, and welcome to the community. We’re glad you’re back!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Piano World #2876385 08/05/19 02:44 PM
Thank you for the very kind welcome!

Linda

c. 1947 Chickering baby grand

Working on Schumann, Scenes from Childhood, op. 15; Joplin, "Solace"
Piano World #2883442 08/25/19 06:52 PM
J
Online Embarrased
J
My grandma was the piano player for a Dixieland jazz band. She also learned ukulele to play occasionally in that group, and I now own both of her instruments. She played piano and organ all the time; I was around music since I was tiny and took to it very naturally.

My main instrument was clarinet, but I took piano lessons in school from my band director's wife. She was a sweet lady but I don't think her lesson structure was great. After a semi-disastrous stint as the piano player for my 8th grade jazz band (I couldn't improv to save my life) and a fully-disastrous year playing for the 9th grade choir (intimidated by the pieces, I procrastinated practicing and performed very poorly), I gave up on lessons. I played for fun for awhile, but after I graduated I didn't have access to a piano for several years and it was too frustrating getting back to it.

About a year and a half ago (after ~22 years of rarely playing piano), my concert band played a few pieces with fantastic piano parts that we couldn't get anyone to cover. This is what motivated me to play again! I've now been taking lessons for over a year, and I'm so obsessed with piano that it's been a constant struggle to keep my clarinet playing on track. smile

I ❤️ Mendelssohn, Yann Tiersen, Heller
JB_PW #2883554 08/26/19 07:38 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jen_JB
My grandma was the piano player for a Dixieland jazz band. She also learned ukulele to play occasionally in that group, and I now own both of her instruments. She played piano and organ all the time; I was around music since I was tiny and took to it very naturally.

My main instrument was clarinet, but I took piano lessons in school from my band director's wife. She was a sweet lady but I don't think her lesson structure was great. After a semi-disastrous stint as the piano player for my 8th grade jazz band (I couldn't improv to save my life) and a fully-disastrous year playing for the 9th grade choir (intimidated by the pieces, I procrastinated practicing and performed very poorly), I gave up on lessons. I played for fun for awhile, but after I graduated I didn't have access to a piano for several years and it was too frustrating getting back to it.

About a year and a half ago (after ~22 years of rarely playing piano), my concert band played a few pieces with fantastic piano parts that we couldn't get anyone to cover. This is what motivated me to play again! I've now been taking lessons for over a year, and I'm so obsessed with piano that it's been a constant struggle to keep my clarinet playing on track. smile

What an interesting story! Welcome back to the piano-and enjoy the journey.

[Linked Image]
Piano World #2889194 09/11/19 07:16 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
TL;DR

I don’t deal with stress particularly well. Some bad things happened, that had consequences for my health. I needed something else in my life and I decided that the piano was going to be it, forty years after my last lesson.

Why do I play piano.

A bit worried that this is over sharing. But it feels like I say nothing or everything.

I learnt piano as a child with lessons. I enjoyed playing and somewhat less so the learning, but I wanted to be one of the cool kids and they played guitar. My Dad bribed me with the promise of a guitar for my 14 birthday if I kept up with the piano. The guitar arrived, piano stopped and a year or so later so did the guitar.

My Dad was definitely a motivation for the piano, he also played, not particularly well but not badly.

When my Mum retired in the early 1990s she moved back to the UK from Australia, in late 1998 My partner and I moved to the UK.

My partner became ill with a chronic illness which means that at times I am also her carer.

In 2016 I flew out to Australia at short notice due to a health scare with my father. By then none of his children where living in Australia. It was clear then that things weren’t quite right. In 2017 a crisis came and he was diagnosed with Lewy body dementia which results in delusions. Also some not so serious vascular dementia. The Lewy body dementia is particularly nasty resulting in delusions and at times a disconnection to reality. It meant staying in his home without live in support was impossible, he refused to accept the need for live in support and that the only alternative was moving elsewhere. This meant it was necessary to move him into care, and I organised that to happen. My father blames me for this.

Less than 2 weeks after returning to the UK after a few trips to Australia during the summer I had a minor stroke in September 2017. Two weeks later a close friend died without warning.

The stroke of course resulted in lots of tests and various medications. At my last appointment with the stroke unit in February 2018 the doctor asked about the results of a heart ultra-sound, but I had never been referred for that. I was informed it was just a formality but that it should be done and luckily they followed up with it. What it, and along with then further investigations including results of the visualisation from a cath lab, it was clear that I had, had a silent heart attack sometime most likely during the northern summer of 2017 which had damaged the heart with a section of heart muscle now replaced with scar tissue so it is less powerful and works less efficiently and this apparently allows blood clots to form in the heart chamber that when at a time of high stress can get expelled. This was the most likely cause for the mini stroke. The consequence is serious, permanent damage to the heart has been done. This is not like the stroke where a full recovery was quick.

Slowly a realisation formed that I needed something that was just for myself. Beyond working, and being a on/off again carer for my partner and dealing with my father. This feeling was also strengthened as it was becoming clear my mother was becoming quite forgetful late last year. She has been diagnosed with vascular dementia this year and like my father refuses to see the need for support while her life living in a village outside of Cambridge gets gradually more chaotic as a result. In this case it is just stubbornness and not the delusions of my father. It is likely just time until a crisis happens that will force her circumstances to change.

I have not dealt with these various stresses particularly well. I need something else in my life.

So a year after the stroke, 6 months after learning that I had, had a heart attack, I finally took the step to find a digital piano to play. A couple of months later I started lessons again.

I am going to Sydney in November for the first time in just over 2 years and since my father is still playing the piano I am hoping we can make a connection, through our common experience. He can listen to me, and I can listen to him. I am not particularly hopeful on this but I have to try.

I feel it has been totally the right thing for my mental well being, which of course is then good for my physical well being. I am so glad I made that decision a little less than a year ago now.

Piano World #2889199 09/11/19 07:54 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Kevin, I'm glad you shared. You've had a very trying and scary three years. It's amazing you were able to make time for piano at all. I think most would not have. I'm also happy that piano seems to have helped keep your world on kilter, worked as a health rehabilitation method for you, and has given you a new entré to a relationship with your father.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Piano World #2890973 09/16/19 12:56 PM
Cripes, there are so many moving stories on here and I'm afraid mine is completely uninspiring: I started playing the piano because I had more free time when my knees began to fail me and I couldn't play as much sport. I can happily report that playing the piano is very easy on the knees smile

After that fairly irreverent start, I can't imagine my life without the piano in it anymore. I'm almost three years in and my only regret - as with most adults - is that I didn't start sooner.

Piano World #2890993 09/16/19 02:04 PM
J
Online Embarrased
J
I think everyone's story is inspiring! Sorry to hear about your knees...

I feel regrets as well, though I'm trying to let that go. I am obsessed with piano now and can't imagine not playing. When I took lessons as a kid, I just wasn't ready for this level of commitment. I just wanted to play for fun and didn't want to put in any "work." So maybe this was the best time for me to return to it.

I ❤️ Mendelssohn, Yann Tiersen, Heller
Piano World #2890999 09/16/19 02:30 PM
P
P
Welcome Bill! I'm a much later starter than you. You have got PLENTY of time. Best hobby ever.

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Progman #2891338 09/17/19 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Progman
Welcome Bill! I'm a much later starter than you. You have got PLENTY of time. Best hobby ever.

True. I suppose I have a good 30 years, statistically!

Piano World #2899669 10/13/19 05:36 AM
K
K
after i watched evgeny kissin playing la campanella on youtube i also wanted to play la campanella thats the only reason i started playing piano smile i am 24 my goal is to play la campanella before i reach 30 lol

Last edited by kcvanar; 10/13/19 05:38 AM.
Piano World #2899675 10/13/19 06:25 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kevin, what a trying time you have had. Piano isn't a 'cure all' of course, but in your case probably just the right thing. I wish you well, and best of luck with your trip in November.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Lighting a piano for video (kind of OT I know...)
by Chrispy - 07/07/20 07:47 PM
Yamaha C2X vs Boston 178 PEII vs Kawai GX3
by lovelydove - 07/07/20 07:15 PM
Me playing N2 - The Way you Look Tonight.
by 36251 - 07/07/20 06:26 PM
Favourite Youtube Lockdown Finds
by DiarmuidD - 07/07/20 06:16 PM
Mp7se box
by Bachus - 07/07/20 02:11 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,100
Posts2,978,057
Members97,696
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission