2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 5 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Originally Posted by Tom97
I am looking forward to the video - where can I find it when it´s out?

I'll post it here when it's done! I probably won't be able to record until I'm back home in a couple of weeks, however.

I will be looking forward to watching it.

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by enw10
Anyway, I think the biggest myth for me was thinking that if I could figure out the notes, I could play a piece. I debated about getting a teacher because I understood the basics of reading sheet music, so I thought that, with enough time, I could figure out how to play pretty much anything on my own.
Some adults think that once you can read music you can play anything more or less immediately. Kind of like once you can read you can read any book on the spot. Someone once actually requested that I learn Rhapsody in Blue overnight and was surprised when I said I couldn't do that.

Originally Posted by jazzyprof
Practicing on a digital piano will harm your technique.
I think there's some truth to that statement. Probably not "harm" but limit one's technical progress to some degree if one intends to ever play on an acoustic piano. If that's not the case why would anyone ever bother to pay the considerable extra amount to buy a hybrid piano instead of a digital?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/03/19 02:26 PM.
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Ok this one, "Practising on an acoustic piano will harm your technique if you intend to play on a digital piano."

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
]Some adults think that once you can read music you can play anything more or less immediately. Kind of like once you can read you can read any book on the spot. Someone once actually requested that I learn Rhapsody in Blue overnight and was surprised when I said I couldn't do that.

What?! That's the reason I signed up for lessons. I just want to play stuff immediately. I don't want to practice anymore, I'm tired.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by enw10

Originally Posted by Stubbie
Someone told me I'm unmusical, so it's a waste of time trying to learn how to play the piano.

I've not heard of this one before...ouch! Maybe a comment of a teacher from school or something? I think we all can carry these burdens with us and believe the lies our whole lives unless we come to realize that person was wrong. Being musical is the same as being human.

Oh, that's me! I just picked up piano last year at 33 because I spent my childhood/adolescence being told by my family that I had no rhythm and no musical ability. It took me that long to realize that I'm actually not terrible at all things creative, and I started piano. Interestingly, a couple of weeks ago my piano teacher commented on how quickly I catch on to complicated rhythms, so apparently, I'm not the lost cause I believed I was.

Glad you overcame this hurdle in what you believe. It's amazing the things we tell ourselves without even realizing it - often to our own detriment.

Anyway, I think the biggest myth for me was thinking that if I could figure out the notes, I could play a piece. I debated about getting a teacher because I understood the basics of reading sheet music, so I thought that, with enough time, I could figure out how to play pretty much anything on my own. I'd never heard the word "musicality" before.
That's very interesting what you thought lessons would be like with a teacher - the good ones go waaaay beyond the notes. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by bennevis
Adults don't need to count beats aloud when learning, because they already have good rhythm.

Haha, yes.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
RE: need for teacher

I would be careful with this one. The case can easily be made that the necessity of a teacher is a myth.

Many of us ABFers are self taught, making notable progress, and enjoying the heck out our piano experiences. Careless treatment of this topic could discourage countless future, happy, self-taughts from ever starting.

Last edited by Ralphiano; 08/03/19 03:21 PM.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think there's some truth to that statement. Probably not "harm" but limit one's technical progress to some degree if one intends to ever play on an acoustic piano. If that's not the case why would anyone ever bother to pay the considerable extra amount to buy a hybrid piano instead of a digital?

A "hybrid" piano is still a digital...no strings attached.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Here are a few more myths:

A year of lessons and I'll be able to play anything I want to play.
I've heard of even less time - like 2 months!!

This unweighted 66-key digital is all I'll ever need.
This is similar to what was mentioned before: "a digital piano will ruin your technique". I actually think that you're just throwing your money away if you get a 66-key thing to start on as it will hold you back.

Someone told me I'm unmusical, so it's a waste of time trying to learn how to play the piano.
I've not heard of this one before...ouch! Maybe a comment of a teacher from school or something? I think we all can carry these burdens with us and believe the lies our whole lives unless we come to realize that person was wrong. Being musical is the same as being human.
Fortunately I never subscribed to any of these myths or had them tossed at me. eek

As for digitals, I do think making a distinction between a non-weighted, non-88 key digital and a weighted, 88-key digital is one that needs to be made. People have posted on PW with the idea of buying a cheap "starter" digital. I think they would be far ahead in the short, medium, and long run to get something that better approximates a piano (as opposed to a keyboard). Why throw another hurdle in your way?

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

M
OP Offline
M
Here are a few more myths:

A year of lessons and I'll be able to play anything I want to play.
I've heard of even less time - like 2 months!!

This unweighted 66-key digital is all I'll ever need.
This is similar to what was mentioned before: "a digital piano will ruin your technique". I actually think that you're just throwing your money away if you get a 66-key thing to start on as it will hold you back.

Fortunately I never subscribed to any of these myths or had them tossed at me. eek

As for digitals, I do think making a distinction between a non-weighted, non-88 key digital and a weighted, 88-key digital is one that needs to be made. People have posted on PW with the idea of buying a cheap "starter" digital. I think they would be far ahead in the short, medium, and long run to get something that better approximates a piano (as opposed to a keyboard). Why throw another hurdle in your way?

Yes, I have owned several digital pianos, and I've played others as well. Some are a waste of money, some are good starter pianos that would last most people many years. Only those that end up playing advanced really need to worry about getting an acoustic grand or hybrid.

I have seen people go buy something for $200 and then start up lessons, only to find out that what they bought isn't going to last more than a few months because it lacks velocity sensitivity. That's the big one. 2nd is that they're usually not full weighted. And as you say, why make it harder than it already is?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
RE: need for teacher

I would be careful with this one. The case can easily be made that the necessity of a teacher is a myth.

Many of us ABFers are self taught, making notable progress, and enjoying the heck out our piano experiences. Careless treatment of this topic could discourage countless future, happy, self-taughts from ever starting.

I don't think it's a question of having a teacher or not, but more what people assume a teacher does that needs debunking. And even "self-teachers" learn from teachers who make method books and videos. It's just a different kind of learning, but that's valid. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
L
Really?? I must have been behind the door when god was handing out rhythm, because it took me quite a while to get that part of my act together.

A "hybrid" piano is still a digital...no strings attached.
But hybrids are not called digitals because they have acoustic actions. Terminology has nothing to do with the idea behind my post.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by leel
Really?? I must have been behind the door when god was handing out rhythm, because it took me quite a while to get that part of my act together.

LOL same here! Actually it was rhythm and reading in general that I struggled with as a child. Counting helped tremendously....when I did it wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

LOL same here! Actually it was rhythm and reading in general that I struggled with as a child. Counting helped tremendously....when I did it wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeDgOUoDTsY

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

- Learning to sightread is one of the most important things for a brand new beginner to learn
- Spend hours on learning music theory before learning to play, or learn theory that's more advanced than your playing ...
- Spending hours practicing each day as a beginner will help you to learn the material faster

I'd group the adult beginner emphasis myths together.
To the ones you already have I'd add: adult beginners should focus on scales; should focus on exercises like Hanon, should use some particular method over all others.

and

Adult students can help (or replace) their teacher with internet research.

Learner
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeDgOUoDTsY

OK I wasn't *that* bad :P

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Regarding not being musical, I have come to believe that musicality (and talent for that matter) is largely a myth. Hard work and time spent learning is what is required. Your final level may vary depending on intelligence, motivation, hours of education, quality of teaching and dedication but not due to innate musicality. Musicality can be taught, and learned.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T

Any others that you've come across or had to learn yourself?

Yes, mostly concerning false prerequisites.

1. Playing classical is essential for developing physical technique.
2. To play jazz it is essential to have a colossal vocabulary of complicated chords and to memorise their names.
3. Scales and other keyboard subsets must be practised in precisely the same traditional way every day.

There are dozens of others.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission