2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
N
N
Originally Posted by Chopin Acolyte
All of you sound like something terribly bad would happen if James got his hands on one of Stuart's pianos...well, as far as I know, we live in democracy (not sure about down there, but here in the US we definitely do) and nobody, not even a manufacturer, can tell anyone "you can NOT review my piano". Now let's rephrase what you just said in a sighty different way...

Since he's not an expert on movies, his review of this movie can pose potential problems for the movie maker, no, it's he has every right not wanting his movie to be reviewed by this youtuber.
Since he's not a pro gamer, his review of this videogame can pose potential problems for the game maker. No, we shouldn't allow him to play this game.
Since he's not a pro racer, his review of this car can pose potential problems for the car manufacturer. No, it wouldn't be wise to allow him to drive this car.

Whether you like it or not, we live in a free world where people can do what they want, as long as they don't break laws. If Stuart didn't want his piano to be reviewed, he shouldn't've let it out of the assembly line. Stuart's hissy tantrum might only hinder the review, but James might eventually find a willing owner anyway. What will Mr. Stuart do then? Show up at the owner's house and threathen him not to make the review?

Chopin Acolyte, I hope we don't take this discussion personally, but allow me to be frank, you are not making much sense.

A game producer doesn't want his game to be reviewed by someone is not the same as not allowing him to PLAY the game. A car manufacturer doesn't want its car to be reviewed by someone is not the same as not allowing him to DRIVE the car. How can you not see the false equivalency here while it's so obvious?

You are for democracy and freedom of speech. Good, I believe we all are. So James has the right to email Mr. Stuart to make the request. By the same token Mr. Stuart has the right to not wanting his piano to be reviewed by James. Note the keyword "not wanting". I can't imagine anyone believes if an owner of this piano in the US allows James to review Mr. Stuart would fly all the way from the other end of the globe to stop James from doing so? Why would you make it sound like that? Shall we agree that all Mr. Stuart did was to express his "not wanting" James to review, though we all agree the way of his expression was wrong and unacceptable.

We live in a free world. James can make the request, Mr. Stuart can refuse (purely based on his dislike of James' review style, rather than based on racial discrimination or any other irrelevant reason). You make it sound like Mr. Stuart does NOT have the right to refuse, I believe that contradicts with the principle of free speech.

Originally Posted by noyes
Chopin Acolyte, I hope we don't take this discussion personally, but allow me to be frank, you are not making much sense.

A game producer doesn't want his game to be reviewed by someone is not the same as not allowing him to PLAY the game. A car manufacturer doesn't want its car to be reviewed by someone is not the same as not allowing him to DRIVE the car. How can you not see the false equivalency here while it's so obvious?

You are for democracy and freedom of speech. Good, I believe we all are. So James has the right to email Mr. Stuart to make the request. By the same token Mr. Stuart has the right to not wanting his piano to be reviewed by James. Note the keyword "not wanting". I can't imagine anyone believes if an owner of this piano in the US allows James to review Mr. Stuart would fly all the way from the other end of the globe to stop James from doing so? Why would you make it sound like that? Shall we agree that all Mr. Stuart did was to express his "not wanting" James to review, though we all agree the way of his expression was wrong and unacceptable.

We live in a free world. James can make the request, Mr. Stuart can refuse (purely based on his dislike of James' review style, rather than based on racial discrimination or any other irrelevant reason). You make it sound like Mr. Stuart does NOT have the right to refuse, I believe that contradicts with the principle of free speech.

Of course, by driving/playing/watching I meant also reviewing, as you already have that experience and can freely share your thoughts on.

If James decided to buy one of his pianos I guess then he should decline to sell it to him. If merely sharing amateur thoughts on an instrument with youtube community is so dangerous to piano makers, the only way to prevent this from happening is not to sell anything. After all, this very forum is based on that; how many people here are, according to the local creme de la creme of professional piano reviewers, capable of seriously reviewing an instrument? Probably not every single person who ever buys one. Yet, anytime someone makes a purchase, they eventually share their thoughts, therefore we have hundreds, if not thousands, of such Jameses here. I call for an appropriate action! Piano makers absolutely need to stop selling pianos to common rabble, if they want to survive. Only certified professionals should be allowed to buy, plus, they need to swear under oath not to let anyone near their instrument (so an accidental amateur review wouldn't happen on youtube).

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
In 2010, when I heard of Stuart & Sons pianos for the first time, I went into their website and posted a request for a brochure and asking where I could play on one. That was it. Nothing about myself, nor my 'achievements', nor my playing standard. (I have a performance diploma.) Certainly no mention about whether I was actually looking to buy a piano. (I wasn't).

Within two weeks, I received a big stiff envelope (sent by airmail) with glossy brochures and leaflets and CD from S & S, plus info about where I could get to play one of their pianos in a showroom near where I live. Thus I had my first experience of playing one of their unique pianos.

A few years before that, I'd spent nearly two months travelling around Australia, starting my journey in Sydney. Unfortunately, I didn't know of Stuart & Sons then, otherwise I'd have visited their factory. I got to know many Aussies on my travels, and what many of them have in common is a dislike, even contempt of anyone who is too big for their boots (or 'britches' in US-speak), and they can often be quite direct in the way they speak - or write. They aren't inclined to beat about the bush like British people would, nor do they do the softly, softy approach. (Crocodile Dundee is actually more true to life than many non-Aussies realize wink ).

I suspect that the teenage reviewer in the OP sounds far too cocky for his own good in his email (especially in telling him about his YT reviews of all the best pianos the world has to offer smirk ) to Wayne Stuart, who replied in typically forthright Aussie-speak.........

If music be the food of love, play on!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh my, I think I’m gonna write an email to Mr. Stuart including a link to this thread. My communication with him was always smooth and pleasant, even my English was not good enough as James’... LOL

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Precisely - that was my first thought. As I posted above, I'd be very surprised if the Stuart & Sons reply didn't include something like:

"The information transmitted is intended only for the person ... addressed and may contain confidential ... retransmission, dissemination or other use of ... other than the intended recipient is prohibited".

Having been involved in official correspondence for more years than I care to remember, we were taught that it is an implication that correspondence between a Government Department (where I worked) and a Business - is "in confidence" - and if I wanted to share the quote or information with another person or Department, I needed to clear it with that Business.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Well if there were to be any kind of legal action (and I really, really doubt there would be) I'm guessing the youtube kid would stand a fair chance at crowdfunding it. Wayne Stuart...not so much wink

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J

Of course, by driving/playing/watching I meant also reviewing, as you already have that experience and can freely share your thoughts on.

If James decided to buy one of his pianos I guess then he should decline to sell it to him. If merely sharing amateur thoughts on an instrument with youtube community is so dangerous to piano makers, the only way to prevent this from happening is not to sell anything. After all, this very forum is based on that; how many people here are, according to the local creme de la creme of professional piano reviewers, capable of seriously reviewing an instrument? Probably not every single person who ever buys one. Yet, anytime someone makes a purchase, they eventually share their thoughts, therefore we have hundreds, if not thousands, of such Jameses here. I call for an appropriate action! Piano makers absolutely need to stop selling pianos to common rabble, if they want to survive. Only certified professionals should be allowed to buy, plus, they need to swear under oath not to let anyone near their instrument (so an accidental amateur review wouldn't happen on youtube).

I agree. How do you define an "expert"? I think it depends on who you are speaking to.

Just because you play the piano, sell pianos, work on pianos, write a book about pianos, moderate a piano forum. or even own a piano forum doesn't make you an "expert" on everything related to the piano. I am not going to ask my Shigeru MPA or a piano salesman how to play a section of a Chopin Ballade. I'm not going to seek the advice of Evgeny Kissin on how regulate or voice a piano. I'm not going to ask the piano mover how to get a good deal on a quality piano. These people may have expertise specific to what they are knowledgeable or have experience in but it does not make them experts on all things piano. I see it on these forums all the time. Who is who to judge?

I think in this particular case, Mr Stuart is foolish to think a young man with a youtube channel is beneath his piano brand for a review. If anything, young men like this are the kinds of people this art needs to keep it alive. I'm in my middle years, I would hope more young men and women his age get more involved in the art of piano as he is doing.

I remember reading a story of young aspiring female pianist whose application was refused to play a concert at a Christmas recital in a nursing home -who had to make a living outside of the piano selling tupperware on E-bay because no one took her seriously. Someone who nearly quit the piano. That was until she found her audience on Youtube armed only with a digital camera and a piano. Her name was Valentina Lisitsa. None of us now, I hope, would now think of her anything less than an expert on performing on the piano. Now as a Bosendorfer artist her bio reads, "Valentina Lisitsa gained worldwide fame through her popular performances on social media. She is a pioneer of digital innovation in classical music. Long before established institutions turned to digital channels, she achieved a faithful following worldwide and became a YouTube phenomenon—one of the first classical musicians to do so, entirely without the support of a record label. Meanwhile, her YouTube channel counts more than 370,000 subscribers."

She certainly didn't follow the recognized road by which one becomes a so-called, "expert". Everyone has a voice and a story to tell. No one needs to be a dick about. At some point in his life I'm sure someone who Mr. Stuart would now consider beneath him, gave him a chance that made him the success he is today. It's too bad he forgot about that.

Last edited by Jethro; 07/31/19 03:53 PM.
J
J
Valentina Lisitsa is amazing! Imagine someone declining her application to play at a nursing home recital. This piece alone has nearly 10 million views.

https://youtu.be/4QB7ugJnHgs

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
Originally Posted by JJHLH
Valentina Lisitsa is amazing! Imagine someone declining her application to play at a nursing home recital. This piece alone has nearly 10 million views. https://youtu.be/4QB7ugJnHgs
No one said they declined because they didn't think she was good enough.

Any comparison between Lisitsa and James makes little sense to me. She was an accomplished pianist long before she became popular but James is far from an expert on pianos. While I enjoy his enthusiasm, I feel he thinks he knows a lot more about pianos than he actually does.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
If anyone is interested, I was curious about the source of the nursing home & ebay story as I'd not heard that before. I found: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/13/arts/music/valentina-lisitsa-jump-starts-her-career-online.html

Last edited by Chrispy; 07/31/19 05:31 PM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Jason74
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
My thoughts,

Wayne Stuart is a learned man, he has worked all of his life and makes very few, but very fine, pianos. He has never demonstrated them at any convention (that I know of) and much like Michael Spreeman of Ravenscroft, sells almost entirely by special order.

While the tone of his email may not have been very encouraging (which I disagree with) I understand his sentiment. Had James been a known critical musician and not a 19 year old boy with a video camera (albeit who plays decently), had his videos contained more accurate information (lots of mistakes that I have seen), and if his style were a little more mature, I think Wayne's response might have been different.

I have seen a few of this young man's videos before. I have corrected at least one mistake in a comment, but in the same comment I encouraged him to keep going. I feel that youthful exposure to pianos is a positive thing, despite his mistakes.

I do not blame Wayne for preferring an expert to review his piano. I wish he were a bit more encouraging in his email to James. I also think James is basking in his own YouTube success and didn't need to make this video.

My 2 cents,

Thanks for the considered response, and as someone who has forgotten more about pianos than I could ever hope to know, your views add a lot to the debate. For all that though, I have to respectively disagree with you on a a couple of points. I think that the tone of the email goes way beyond what is acceptable. I agree with you that his desire not to have this young man review the piano is fair enough (for the exact reasons you state), but for me there's just no excuse for anyone to be that dismissive, especially a "learned man". There are many posts on here bemoaning the lack of enthusiasm for the piano among young people, and whatever his current shortcomings, the guy doing these videos has enthusiasm for the instrument in spades. That really should be nurtured (so we agree there) and if that was too much to ask, a polite response thanking him for his interest but explaining that there wasn't a piano available to try is kind of the least that should have been expected.

And given the rudeness displayed, I actually think that it was quite reasonable for that to be called out in a public manner, and the video was as good a way as any in doing that.

I agree entirely.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by bennevis
In 2010, when I heard of Stuart & Sons pianos for the first time, I went into their website and posted a request for a brochure and asking where I could play on one. That was it. Nothing about myself, nor my 'achievements', nor my playing standard. (I have a performance diploma.) Certainly no mention about whether I was actually looking to buy a piano. (I wasn't).

Within two weeks, I received a big stiff envelope (sent by airmail) with glossy brochures and leaflets and CD from S & S, plus info about where I could get to play one of their pianos in a showroom near where I live. Thus I had my first experience of playing one of their unique pianos.

A few years before that, I'd spent nearly two months travelling around Australia, starting my journey in Sydney. Unfortunately, I didn't know of Stuart & Sons then, otherwise I'd have visited their factory. I got to know many Aussies on my travels, and what many of them have in common is a dislike, even contempt of anyone who is too big for their boots (or 'britches' in US-speak), and they can often be quite direct in the way they speak - or write. They aren't inclined to beat about the bush like British people would, nor do they do the softly, softy approach. (Crocodile Dundee is actually more true to life than many non-Aussies realize wink ).

I suspect that the teenage reviewer in the OP sounds far too cocky for his own good in his email (especially in telling him about his YT reviews of all the best pianos the world has to offer smirk ) to Wayne Stuart, who replied in typically forthright Aussie-speak.........

The thing is you're kind of saying Stuart should get a pass on being rude because he's...Australian? I suspect there are some Aussie members here who might take exception to this. When you describe his response as forthright, it's not just forthright, it's rude, patronising and wholly unnecessary.

Last edited by DiarmuidD; 07/31/19 06:46 PM.
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Jethro

I agree. How do you define an "expert"? I think it depends on who you are speaking to.

Just because you play the piano, sell pianos, work on pianos, write a book about pianos, moderate a piano forum. or even own a piano forum doesn't make you an "expert" on everything related to the piano. I am not going to ask my Shigeru MPA or a piano salesman how to play a section of a Chopin Ballade. I'm not going to seek the advice of Evgeny Kissin on how regulate or voice a piano. I'm not going to ask the piano mover how to get a good deal on a quality piano. These people may have expertise specific to what they are knowledgeable or have experience in but it does not make them experts on all things piano. I see it on these forums all the time. Who is who to judge?

I think in this particular case, Mr Stuart is foolish to think a young man with a youtube channel is beneath his piano brand for a review. If anything, young men like this are the kinds of people this art needs to keep it alive. I'm in my middle years, I would hope more young men and women his age get more involved in the art of piano as he is doing.

I remember reading a story of young aspiring female pianist whose application was refused to play a concert at a Christmas recital in a nursing home -who had to make a living outside of the piano selling tupperware on E-bay because no one took her seriously. Someone who nearly quit the piano. That was until she found her audience on Youtube armed only with a digital camera and a piano. Her name was Valentina Lisitsa. None of us now, I hope, would now think of her anything less than an expert on performing on the piano. Now as a Bosendorfer artist her bio reads, "Valentina Lisitsa gained worldwide fame through her popular performances on social media. She is a pioneer of digital innovation in classical music. Long before established institutions turned to digital channels, she achieved a faithful following worldwide and became a YouTube phenomenon—one of the first classical musicians to do so, entirely without the support of a record label. Meanwhile, her YouTube channel counts more than 370,000 subscribers."

She certainly didn't follow the recognized road by which one becomes a so-called, "expert". Everyone has a voice and a story to tell. No one needs to be a dick about. At some point in his life I'm sure someone who Mr. Stuart would now consider beneath him, gave him a chance that made him the success he is today. It's too bad he forgot about that.

Well said. The piano community needs to get it's head out of the sand. And this forum is a perfect microcosm.

B
B
Originally Posted by DiarmuidD

The thing is you're kind of saying Stuart should get a pass on being rude because he's...Australian? I suspect there are some Aussie members here who might take exception to this. When you describe his response as forthright, it's not just forthright, it's rude, patronising and wholly unnecessary.

One man's rudeness is another man's forthrightness.

One kid's 'enthusiasm' is another's cockiness and boastfulness and bullsh*tting, deserving of being put back into his place.

Depending on where you're from, among other things. (Maybe also your age.)

Travel to other continents, and expand your knowledge of other cultures......

You've already received different responses from some others here already. Why do you think your impression of their 'spat' is the only correct and possible one?

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
When you describe his response as forthright, it's not just forthright, it's rude, patronising and wholly unnecessary.

This entire thread is unnecessary. As another person alluded to, there is no such thing as bad publicity. Further, I don't think Mr. Stuart's customers are likely to see James as an "influencer." In any case, why amplify the matter here? Of course, it is a forum, and I don't really object--I simply don't understand the point. Recreational outrage?

Last edited by dhull100; 07/31/19 07:02 PM.
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D

One man's rudeness is another man's forthrightness.

One kid's 'enthusiasm' is another's cockiness and boastfulness and bullsh*tting, deserving of being put back into his place.

Depending on where you're from, among other things. (Maybe also your age.)

Travel to other continents, and expand your knowledge of other cultures......

You've already received different responses from some others here already. Why do you think your impression of their 'spat' is the only correct and possible one?

I've travelled to many continents and experienced many cultures. That is why I do not engage in lazy cultural and moral relativism. I do not regard my own opinion as infallible, yet I do have strong opinions. Those things are not mutually exclusive as you seem to think. I think you lack context and a certain respect for decency. Go figure.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dhull100
When you describe his response as forthright, it's not just forthright, it's rude, patronising and wholly unnecessary.

This entire thread is unnecessary. As another person alluded to, there is no such thing as bad publicity. Further, I don't think Mr. Stuart's customers are likely to see James as an "influencer." In any case, why amplify the matter here? Of course, it is a forum, and I don't really object--I simply don't understand the point. Recreational outrage?

Life can be dull. Why not?

B
B

I've travelled to many continents and experienced many cultures. That is why I do not engage in lazy cultural and moral relativism. I do not regard my own opinion as infallible, yet I do have strong opinions. Those things are not mutually exclusive as you seem to think. I think you lack context and a certain respect for decency. Go figure.

So, to go back to my rhetorical question - you think your opinion is the only possible and correct one? grin

And you're now attacking me too? smirk

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D

So, to go back to my rhetorical question - you think your opinion is the only possible and correct one? grin

And you're now attacking me too? smirk

Did you actually read what I said? I have liked many of your posts in the past but I think you need to read what I actually posted and alter your reply.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission