2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
86 members (Abdol, Alex_Ki, A Guy, aphexdisklavier, adoser, accordeur, anotherscott, 21 invisible), 592 guests, and 459 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Plastic of acoustic piano keys
9190 #2874379 07/31/19 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by 9190
Originally Posted by CyberGene
With some of the more technically difficult repertoire I play I find it better to have shiny (slippery) keys which allow for the finger to rotate or even slide on the key with the wrist moving rather than getting “caught” by too high friction, which was what happened on my ivory emulation Kawai digital pianos.

100% agree. I hate all these modern artificial and exaggerated ivory and ebony imitations. I remember my old post about it here, where this issue was also discussed.

Same here. I definitely prefer the NV10 keys (shiny) to the C3 keys surface (some kind of very good ivory and ebony imitation).

Yamaha C3M - Kawai Novus - VSL CFX & Steinway D - Garritan CFX - Pianoteq Pro - American Concert D - Ravenscroft 275
PC -> Sonarworks Reference 4 -> RME Babyface Pro -> Schiit Yggdrasil + Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & HD800
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
David Zhang #2874402 07/31/19 06:02 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm fine with shiny. My Clav has that. My old upright, too.
But the smooth but matte finish on the imitation ivory seems appealing.
It's the heavily textured keytops that annoy me. I've not seen them in quite a while. Some of the Rolands had that about a decade ago. Blechhhhh! frown

CyberGene #2874415 07/31/19 07:14 AM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
With some of the more technically difficult repertoire I play I find it better to have shiny (slippery) keys which allow for the finger to rotate or even slide on the key with the wrist moving rather than getting “caught” by too high friction, which was what happened on my ivory emulation Kawai digital pianos.

I'm finding the opposite, funnily enough. On the ivory touch surface, I can slide around fine. However, on the plastic coating of my upright piano my fingers get stuck when trying to slide.

Horses for courses I guess.

Zaphod #2874420 07/31/19 07:39 AM
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Zaphod

I'm finding the opposite, funnily enough. On the ivory touch surface, I can slide around fine. However, on the plastic coating of my upright piano my fingers get stuck when trying to slide.

Horses for courses I guess.

That's really curious. I guess it depends very much on physiology - sweat quantity and quality. I have rather dry palms and fingers yet they are not overly dry. My fingers got caught so many times on the white Kawai keys almost like being glued. The surface feels almost sticky to my fingers. That could be a reaction between the material and my skin and sweat contents.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
David Zhang #2874448 07/31/19 09:24 AM
P
P
another good reason to use wood for key tops is that you can customise it by yourself, for example if you want it more slippery (which I don't) you can add epoxy to it.

Last edited by pold; 07/31/19 09:24 AM.
David Zhang #2874458 07/31/19 10:01 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know if it's because my Kawai digital piano is new, but I have the feeling that the Ivory-style surface gives to me some little trouble when I have to place my fingers between black keys in fast scales/arpeggios. Compared with a cheap semi-weighted keyboard with very shiny keys, I noticed that on my new Kawai DP the fingers have more friction with the side surface of the black keys, so they slide a little less easily. Anyway, for now I don't think it's a big issue, and maybe that over time the problem will somehow resolve itself (maybe the Ivory-style surface will become smoother with use, or my fingers will get used to it). And maybe this season's high temperatures can be a further cause of problems with fingers between keys.
But I have to say that the touch feel of the Ivory-style texture is very pleasant. The keys on my CN37 are not wooden, but when you touch them you feel as if they were made of a superior material.

Erard #2874479 07/31/19 11:01 AM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Erard
Same here. I definitely prefer the NV10 keys (shiny) to the C3 keys surface (some kind of very good ivory and ebony imitation).

I also switch between an NV-10 and C3 with Ivorite. I feel like both are just fine. They're different, and Yamaha's implementation is quite nice. But I don't really miss it when I'm on the NV10, or vice versa.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
CyberGene #2874493 07/31/19 11:41 AM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z

That's really curious. I guess it depends very much on physiology - sweat quantity and quality. I have rather dry palms and fingers yet they are not overly dry. My fingers got caught so many times on the white Kawai keys almost like being glued. The surface feels almost sticky to my fingers. That could be a reaction between the material and my skin and sweat contents.

Are you saying that i don't have a high enough quality of perspiration to play the piano?

How dare you sir! laugh

But seriously. I think you're right there, it's a physiology thing. I used to find much the same thing when I played the violin. When I swapped violins for a second with someone to try each others out, my hand would stick on the neck when trying to shift. Same goes for pool cues as well, you might have noticed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CLP 735 vs CA49 vs HP704
by Einaudio - 12/02/20 02:49 PM
Is there a term for this?
by TBell - 12/02/20 02:04 PM
Something cheerful, please!
by gooddog - 12/02/20 01:53 PM
Corona Virus Lock Down....
by Duaner - 12/02/20 12:49 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,213
Posts3,029,683
Members99,449
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission