2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
49 registered members (Charades, amyram, BeeZee4, Calavera, Brahms4, Beemer, ChrisGoesPiano, Beowulf, 11 invisible), 254 guests, and 465 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why the wide price difference between GX3 and C3X [Re: johnstaf] #2873510 07/28/19 12:57 PM
S
sroreilly Offline
S
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Originally Posted by j&j
Maybe the price difference represents the expense saving carbon fiber actions used on the Kawai’s. The Millennium Carbon Fiber is less expensive and also easier to work with over the traditional woods used in the Yamahas.
Just my thoughts.

I wonder if that's the case. WNG composite parts are significantly more expensive than Renner (wooden) parts.

In America it is significantly cheaper to purchase WNG parts than corresponding parts from Renner

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Why the wide price difference between GX3 and C3X [Re: j&j] #2873562 07/28/19 04:16 PM
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by j&j

I’ve heard both sides of that argument. Kawai considers the WNG action as a significant improvement and advancement in piano action technology and they do it to make the action more stable with humidity changes.

WNG is a separate company and is not involved with Kawai. Kawai has its own carbon-fibre action called Millenium III, which is an in-house product.

Re: Why the wide price difference between GX3 and C3X [Re: Rich Galassini] #2873564 07/28/19 04:18 PM
S
spartan928 Offline
S
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

Although this post reeks of bias (I have one) I would like to add that if Kawai struck me the same way Yamaha did I am certain I would have those pianos on my showroom floor now.

Full Disclosure = I am obviously now a Yamaha dealer.

My (biased) 2 cents,

I played a Bosendorfer, Steinway, Kawai, Estonia, the Yamaha CX and a few others in your store a few months ago. Honestly, the CX tone was superb to my ears, I was so impressed by it I'd have bought it right then and there if I was ready!. I don't think your biased at all saying that. Maybe a few years down the line.

Re: Why the wide price difference between GX3 and C3X [Re: redfish1901] #2873627 07/28/19 09:42 PM
R
redfish1901 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I originally posted this question back in March 2018. I bought my C3XSH in April 2018. Now it's July 2019, and I want to share some of my thoughts.

The GX3 I was looking at was quoted at $24K USD. The C3X was $30K and C3XSH I ended up buying was $34K.

I have been back to the Kawai dealer this year, and the GX3 I saw had been sold, and replaced with a different GX3 with posted price of $32K. I felt this particular GX3 didn't sound as good as the one I saw last year. It turns out that old GX3 was a real bargain! Whoever bought it was real lucky.

My impressions of the GX3 then and now is that they have a darker, mellower tone than the C3X. I prefer it to the purer tone of the Yamahas. But GX3 lacks the color of the Yamaha--as notes are struck harder, Yamaha exhibits a change of tone that's missing in the Kawai. Maybe for some people it doesn't matter so much. But for me, it was important enough to pay extra money for. Classical music really benefits from having the melody ~sing~ above the other notes. Also, the Yamaha tone reminded me of the Boesendorfers at the same dealership--clear and yet capable of great tonal shading. I'm not saying Yamahas are equivalent to Bosies--just saying that for the price, Yamaha has more tonal color than the competition. I also played the Yamaha SX series--these have even greater tonal color. I think SX series match up very well against Steinway B's at much better prices.

Re: Why the wide price difference between GX3 and C3X [Re: redfish1901] #2873635 07/28/19 10:26 PM
S
sroreilly Offline
S
Originally Posted by redfish1901
I think SX series match up very well against Steinway B's at much better prices.

In a subjective sense, perhaps, but I am pretty sure the SX line is in this weird area between mass produced high grade material production and no expense spared level production. To be less verbose, the CF line is intended to compete with Steinways; the SX, although having more hand work and attention to detail than the CX line, has lower cost design features than the "top-tier" makes.

Re: Why the wide price difference between GX3 and C3X [Re: ando] #2873733 07/29/19 08:07 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by j&j

I’ve heard both sides of that argument. Kawai considers the WNG action as a significant improvement and advancement in piano action technology and they do it to make the action more stable with humidity changes.

WNG is a separate company and is not involved with Kawai. Kawai has its own carbon-fibre action called Millenium III, which is an in-house product.

Sorry. Substitute Millennium III for WNG.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Why the wide price difference between GX3 and C3X [Re: sroreilly] #2873941 07/29/19 07:31 PM
R
redfish1901 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by sroreilly
Originally Posted by redfish1901
I think SX series match up very well against Steinway B's at much better prices.

In a subjective sense, perhaps, but I am pretty sure the SX line is in this weird area between mass produced high grade material production and no expense spared level production. To be less verbose, the CF line is intended to compete with Steinways; the SX, although having more hand work and attention to detail than the CX line, has lower cost design features than the "top-tier" makes.

Yes, of course. The "proper" competitor to a new Steinway B is Yamaha CF6. But S6X is easier to find, and way cheaper.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Alicia Keys - Moonlight Sonata
by Pathetique1 - 02/25/20 03:09 AM
Int/Midi button on Kawai MP11
by giu - 02/25/20 02:56 AM
New bass strings sound hollow
by Emery Wang - 02/25/20 01:01 AM
About Yamaha cx
by Fer15 - 02/24/20 11:48 PM
grades of pieces
by Kaori Miyamoto - 02/24/20 05:40 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,176
Posts2,929,692
Members96,104
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission