2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2873151 07/27/19 08:57 AM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Well not really a faux pas, I just like the alliteration.

I have noticed in certain passages where the R 3rd (or 2nd or 4th) finger must play a white key in between two black keys, my finger does not fit well and the black keys move slightly. I manage to play the note without sounding the adjacent black keys, but They move slightly and I am wondering if this is unique to my technique or my piano or neither of the above.

An example is while practicing the Bach Invention in D min, BWV 926, measure 33 - C#-Bb-G-C#-Bb-G where I play 1-5-3-1-5-3. I have noticed this at other times as well.

For reference, I am about 5’10’, 165, fit with average sized fingers, and the piano is a S&S A3. This does not pose an issue on my Boston 118. Are the black keys too closely spaced, or too wide, on the S&S? Is this something that is different in newer pianos? I imagine the difference is only 1-2 mm but it’s enough to notice it.

Anyone else notice this? Maybe I should stop cracking my knuckles? Lol

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by cmb13
Well not really a faux pas, I just like the alliteration.

I have noticed in certain passages where the R 3rd (or 2nd or 4th) finger must play a white key in between two black keys, my finger does not fit well and the black keys move slightly. I manage to play the note without sounding the adjacent black keys, but They move slightly and I am wondering if this is unique to my technique or my piano or neither of the above.

It really doesn't matter if you touch and even move adjacent keys slightly, as long as they don't actually sound.

I have slim fingers but my fingers do brush against the adjacent black keys when playing the white key between them. It reassures me that my finger is exactly where it should be thumb yippie wow.

If music be the food of love, play on!
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Can you play further out on the white key?

cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Glad to see that my fingers are no larger than those of a Scottish mountain, Ben!

Boo, not sure as I’m not in front of the piano this second, but with the progression on that little invention somehow I seem to drift towards the back. I’ll see later on.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have this problem, too, on my teacher's Hamburg Steinway C. My third finger especially will catch the sharps on either side of the white key and cause them to sound. I've tried playing further out on the keys (not always practicable) and even turning my hand sideways. And like you, it's something I noticed especially in playing Bach where fingering in pursuit of a true legato can become very odd.

I discovered some time ago that the width of sharps varies a little from maker to maker. There is no standard, apparently. A mere millimeter of extra space and my fingers fit fine. My August Förster has slightly narrower sharps, for which I'm grateful.

Also historic fortepianos had smaller keys, I believe.

August Förster 215
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I notice this when doing the finger exercise you provided Craig:

C E G C
C Eb G C

Playing the G after the Eb with the right results in both F# and G# moving slightly. I can keep them silent but they both move. I would not say my fingers are particularly thick.

By the way my regulation while playing those exercises has improved a lot, rhythm and volume. I think it helps when I'm practising legato arpeggios.

Kevin

cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AaronSF
I have this problem, too, on my teacher's Hamburg Steinway C. My third finger especially will catch the sharps on either side of the white key and cause them to sound. I've tried playing further out on the keys (not always practicable) and even turning my hand sideways. And like you, it's something I noticed especially in playing Bach where fingering in pursuit of a true legato can become very odd.

I discovered some time ago that the width of sharps varies a little from maker to maker. There is no standard, apparently. A mere millimeter of extra space and my fingers fit fine. My August Förster has slightly narrower sharps, for which I'm grateful.

Also historic fortepianos had smaller keys, I believe.

Maybe I ought to break out the rasp!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KevinM
I notice this when doing the finger exercise you provided Craig:

C E G C
C Eb G C

Playing the G after the Eb with the right results in both F# and G# moving slightly. I can keep them silent but they both move. I would not say my fingers are particularly thick.

By the way my regulation while playing those exercises has improved a lot, rhythm and volume. I think it helps when I'm practising legato arpeggios.

Kevin

Glad you're enjoying that exercise! I think it was in an etude, but I don't know who wrote it. I should ask my teacher. Funny, I only notice the issue when hitting the G between when the preceding and next note are black keys. I don't think I notice it in the exercise above - I probably play farther back on this one. But I'll check.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
If you play that sequence of 6 notes with your wrist higher and make a counter-clockwise circular motion with your wrist, does that still happen? My 4th finger rests on the Ab and my 2nd finger brushes across the E and F.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's a matter of practise.

I play an old Pipe Organ with much "fatter" sharps than my piano, or my Allen Digital Organ - and on the Pipe Organ, they sound accidentally with just the slightest touch. When I first started playing that organ, I was often getting a stray note sounding, but I've learned to keep fingers more upright, and more straight on as I play into the black notes. My teacher's YAMAHA had fatter sharps than my GROTRIAN and that took a bit of adapting to.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
The next time I’m cursing a composer for assuming that all pianists can reach a major tenth comfortably (I have to stretch to play a ninth), I will try to remember this thread.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission