2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 12 invisible), 1,987 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
brettr Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Anyone know how to connect Ravenscroft 275 iOS to a Kawai MP10? The MP10 has a USB port on the front but going from the iPhone X lightening to the MP10 USB doesn't do anything.

I can play the keyboard on iOS and hear sound there but nothing on the MP10. Toggling Local Off doesn't do anything.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
brettr, the USB port on the front of the MP10 is a USB to Device port, intended for loading/saving data to a USB memory device. In order to send/receive MIDI data, you will need to use the USB to Host port on the back of the instrument.

I believe you may also need the Apple "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter" to connect the USB cable to your phone.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
brettr Offline OP
OP Offline
B
@Kawai_James: Thanks. Is USB to device port the same as a printer cable: https://www.walmart.com/ip/EpicDeal...r-Cable-6-Feet-HP-Canon-Black/183399016?

brettr, yes that's the cable you will need. However, as noted above, I believe you will also need the Apple "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter".

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x

B
brettr Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have the camera adapter cable now as well. When I play the MP10 keyboard, I can see the keys depress in Ravenscroft iOS but I don't hear any difference. It's still the MP10 sound. I did try with Local turned on but no difference. Do you have some idea what the issue may be?

B
brettr Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I found one issue - I had to turn the iPhone volume up. Now I can hear the different pianos but only through the iPhone. Is there a way to make them play through the MP10 (headphone jack)?

R
R
- If your iPhone has a dedicated headphones jack (which it doesn't), then your issue is solved.

- If your MP10 has a built-in audio interface like the Montage and Kronos do, then audio from your iphone will be transmitted back to your MP10 through the lightning cable.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It looks like you can run the iPhone audio to the MP10 Line In. But, depending on your iPhone, that could be really simple or a bit more complicated.

Here are the jacks on the MP10:
XLR Outs with Ground Lift, Line Out 6,3mm (L/Mono,R oder 2xMono), Line In 6,3mm (L/Mono,R), Headphones, Damper/Soft Pedal, Foot Switch (assignable), Expression (assignable), MIDI In / Out / Thru, USB-to-host, USB-to-device, AC IN, Powerswitch On/Off

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
B
brettr Offline OP
OP Offline
B
@RobR: Right, there is no dedicated head phone on the iPhone. What do you mean issue solved?

In regards to your second statement, if that was the case, wouldn't I hear the Ravenscroft pianos through the MP10? Guess I'm not sure why you posted all of that if it doesn't really solve anything. Saying "if" the MP10 did this or that when it doesn't....I'm not sure what that means. I don't have any intention of buying a new piano.

B
brettr Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Would something like this work: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/microlite--motu-micro-lite?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3311199638&rkg_id=0&product_id=microlite&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping+-+SKU+-+Studio+%26+Recording&adgroup=Audio+Interfaces+-+MOTU+-+microlite&placement=google&adpos=1o5&creative=295573632661&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyZLhpq_V4wIVQdbACh1wqQcmEAQYBSABEgIus_D_BwE

What would the connection topology look like?

R
R
It means i was trying to help with my "statements" and show you the two culprits in your situation.

The MP10 doesn't seem to have an audio interface and the iphone doesn't have a dedicated headphones jack. So basically those were your two best options and they're not available.

There's a reason musicians were angry when Apple decided to ditch the headphone jack. What you're experiencing now is why they were angry.

I'm lucky i still have the latest iPAD (2017) that still had a headphone jack.

Regardless, since i'm still trying to help, i googled this for you. This might work: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MQHX2AM/A/iphone-lightning-dock-gold

Last edited by RobR; 07/27/19 11:10 AM.
B
brettr Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I did try my iPad, which has a head phone jack and was able to hear all of the Ravenscroft pianos. But I'm always using my iPad so the iPhone dock looks like the next thing I need to buy for this to all work.

For the iPhone with camera adapter, I have the iPhone head jack dongle. When I plugged it into the camera adapter connected to the iPhone, I got an accessory not supported popup. For the iPhone dock you linked to, the lightening cable from the camera adapter will plug into the dock and then the headphones into the dock as well. But that shouldn't cause another" accessory not supported" problem since the dock clearly marks the jack as headphones right? Thanks.

Basically, the MP10 can send messages to Ravenscroft but not the other way around?

R
R
Your issue here is with usb audio not midi. You need the iphone to transmit audio back to your MP10 through the usb camera kit. We scratch that because the MP10 does not have an audio interface to host the iphone audio through usb. So the alternative is to have the iphone transmit audio out from its headphone jack to your MP10 audio input which the MP10 DOES (but the iphone doesn't). With this latter option you're basically treating the MP10 as a speaker and not as an audio host. That's the difference.

The iphone dock seems like a solution for you if you insist on using the iphone. If i was me, i would just keep using the ipad instead. DO NOT buy that dock unless you make sure it works for your query.

I would go on apple forums first and ask for help. On paper it seems like it's your solution though.

Last edited by RobR; 07/27/19 01:25 PM.
B
brettr Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Like I mentioned, I'm always using the iPad so connecting/disconnecting all of that staff a few times a day isn't going to work. With the iPhone dock, I just slip the iPhone in/out. No connections involved. So I agree - the dock seems like the best route. Thanks.

One other question, how do I record? Obviously, I can't use the MP10 and that I'm aware of, Ravenscroft can't record.

Last edited by brettr; 07/27/19 01:40 PM.
R
R
You need an iOS DAW for your ipad. I use Cubasis.

B
brettr Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Again, not using the iPad. Is there some reason you prefer the iPad over the iPhone?

Wouldn't Garage Band work for recording (and its free)?

When you record with Cubasis, do you click record in that app, bring Ravenscroft back to the front and Cubasis keeps recording in the background?

brettr, please take a look at this post. It's explaining the connection process for an MP11SE and laptop, however the process of connecting audio to the MP10 is similar.

If your iPhone does not have a headphone connector, you will probably need an adapter which adds a headphone output *and* the Lightning connector, or the dock linked above. Unfortunately, I do not have experience with this accessory.

Kind regards,
James
x

B
brettr Offline OP
OP Offline
B
@kawai_james: Thanks! Since I have to use the iPhone dock anyway and plug headphones into it, is there an advantage to using the head phone to mono plugs cable?

Seems like it will just reroute the sound back into the MP10. Instead of plugging the headphones into the iPhone dock, I'll plug them into the MP10 headphone jack. In that case, it wouldn't offer any advantage since the end result is the same.

Originally Posted by brettr
@kawai_james: Thanks! Since I have to use the iPhone dock anyway and plug headphones into it, is there an advantage to using the head phone to mono plugs cable?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but...

Originally Posted by brettr
Seems like it will just reroute the sound back into the MP10. Instead of plugging the headphones into the iPhone dock, I'll plug them into the MP10 headphone jack. In that case, it wouldn't offer any advantage since the end result is the same.

Yes, however if the iPhone sound is routed into the MP10, you can potentially mix the iPhone and MP10 sounds together. I believe the MP10 also allows recording the Line In sound to USB memory (MP3/WAV file) too.

Kind regards,
James
x

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission