2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
90 members (Beemer, anotherscott, 36251, Anglagard44, AndrewJCW, 21 invisible), 969 guests, and 532 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MP11 + 2 Loudspkrs + PTQ/Garritan + i7 Notebook
#2872291 07/24/19 02:23 PM
C
OP Offline
C
That`s what I got -- after you`ve cut me into 2 halves: The PTQ/Sampled discussions left me with a split personality : I got both.

Before I only had an MP11 (non SE) with 2 active boxes (like JBL 305), a headphone - nothing else. Now those are joined by an i7 laptop and those 2 programs.

But toget it working: Will I need an additional ext. souncard? Which cabling?

Any further information would be nice - due to my age I have a hard timr to understand the MP 11 diagrams of their manual.

Thanks from both halves of my split personality

Last edited by Chordo24; 07/24/19 02:24 PM.
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: MP11 + 2 Loudspkrs + PTQ/Garritan + i7 Notebook
Chordo24 #2872373 07/24/19 07:05 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Chordo24,

To connect your MP11 to your laptop, you will first need a simple USB "A" to USB "B" cable - sometimes referred to as a USB printed cable. These are relatively inexpensive, and can be purchased for around 5 euros on Amazon etc. For example, this should be fine.

Once you have this cable, connect the square end to the MP11's USB to Host port, and the flat end to your laptop. Windows should automatically install it's built-in USB-MIDI driver. Next, open Pianoteq and try playing notes on the MP11. You should see and hear (through the laptop's speakers) those notes being played in Pianoteq. If not, you will need to access the Preferences window (in the Edit) menu, click the Devices tab, and select the USB-MIDI driver in the "Active MIDI inputs" list.

Once you have confirmed that MIDI is working between the MP11 and your laptop, the next step is to get the audio from your laptop to your speakers. You could connect your laptop directly to the speakers, however I would suggest connecting the laptop to the MP11's Line In jacks, which will mix the laptop sound with the MP11's internal sound, and give you the ability to adjust the volume of both using the MP11's volume faders. To connect the laptop's audio output to your MP11, you will likely need a 3.5mm mini stereo to 2x 6.35mm mono cable, such as this.

Once you have this cable, connect the 3.5mm mini stereo plug into your laptop's audio/headphone output, then the two 6.35mm plugs into your MP11's L/MONO and R line-in connectors. Now turn the MP11 on, set the instrument's Line In volume fader to the half-way point, and try playing some notes - you should be able to hear that laptop's Pianoteq sound being played through the speakers connected to your MP11. I expect you may also be hearing the MP11's internal piano sound, if so, turn off the PIANO section to disable that built-in tone generator, leaving just the laptop's Pianoteq sound. You will likely need to adjust the various volume levels in order to get the best results. My recommendation would be to set the laptop's volume quite high, the MP11's master volume quite high, and the MP11's Line In volume a little low.

I hope this helps - best of luck!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Chordo24 #2872470 07/25/19 01:33 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chordo24
That`s what I got -- after you`ve cut me into 2 halves: The PTQ/Sampled discussions left me with a split personality : I got both.

Before I only had an MP11 (non SE) with 2 active boxes (like JBL 305), a headphone - nothing else. Now those are joined by an i7 laptop and those 2 programs.

But toget it working: Will I need an additional ext. souncard? Which cabling?

Any further information would be nice - due to my age I have a hard timr to understand the MP 11 diagrams of their manual.

Thanks from both halves of my split personality

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll love your MP11. You may also love both Pianoteq AND Garritan CFX. Some people love both, and then you have the onboard Kawai sounds. Have fun! You certainly have enough to keep you occupied for a while...

Chordo24 #2872529 07/25/19 07:30 AM
P
pmh Offline
P
Hi Chordo24,
Congrats on your purchases. Once things settle down I think you will be delighted. Regarding the samples vs modelling debate, some would say bun fight, if want enjoy both as I do then a split personality is a must🤪

Paul h

Kemble Compact Acoustic Piano, Yamaha CVP 709 Polished White, Kawai MP11se, Pianoteq Standard, Galaxy Vintage D, Garritan CFX.
Kawai James #2872587 07/25/19 10:07 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Chordo24,

... however I would suggest connecting the laptop to the MP11's Line In jacks, which will mix the laptop sound with the MP11's internal sound, and give you the ability to adjust the volume of both using the MP11's volume faders...

I agree with the fact that this setup is good for practical purposes, in particular to use internal MP11 sounds and audio file player, but when using it (I also own a MP11 and Pianoteq) sometimes there are strange sounds that may be some kind of ground loop.
I ended assigning one of MP11's wheels (the one that isn't spring loaded) to Pianoteq volume (right click on Pianoteq's interface volume fader, then click on assign MIDI event button, and move the wheel) this way I have control of Pianoteq volume without touching the computer.

One important thing is, if you don't have an external ASIO DAC, is to install ASIO4all and select it in Pianoteq interface (options->devices) or if you want select "windows audio exclusive mode" to have good latencies with the internal sound chip of the laptop.

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
Chordo24 #2872597 07/25/19 10:20 AM
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Ah! The old Dr. Jekyll (Pianoteq) and Mr. Hyde (sampled sounds) syndrome! eek

Working on:

Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor BWV 1004
Preludio: Bach/Rachmaninoff E Major Sonata for Violin
Chopin: G Minor Ballade

Shigeru Kawai SK2
Kawai VPC-1
Jethro #2872608 07/25/19 10:47 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Jethro
Ah! The old Dr. Jekyll (Pianoteq) and Mr. Hyde (sampled sounds) syndrome! eek

Yes, and I enjoy this archaic experience a lot.

Its funny its only the two of us ---- the Third Man, the chordomonica player refuses to join the party. Any ideas of mounting the harp on top of the keyboard have been denied.

Chordo24 #2872614 07/25/19 10:57 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Kawai-James,

I don`t know if there are medals awarded in Japan, but you have been of utmost help. If it was me I would award you the medal and title "Pride of Nippon". You are incorporating the best virtues of your country and heritage.

Thanks again, EVERYTHING is running. I wasn`t even aware of the possibilitiy to have both sound engines running jointly. I`m really overwhelmed.

Chordo24 #2872623 07/25/19 11:11 AM
C
OP Offline
C
SO now the MP-11 setup is up and running properly. This leaves only one addition I would like: Adding a possibility to incorporate church-organ sounds. No Hauptwerk or Grandorgue, just an easy addition. Any hints and proposals?

Furthermore I will try to give next week my rusty ol Clavinova 98 a blood infusion: Connecting the CVP 98 to my laptop. I wonder if I could get it to work with both engines as well. Anyone know?

Thanks for all your help.

Gratefully Chordo24

p.s.: Its still secret, so don`t tell anybody: If the above works out properly my final project would be to replicate everything onto a Rasberry4, 4GB ram, placed INSIDE my clavinova .......

Chordo24 #2872762 07/25/19 09:36 PM
Hello Chordo24,

Thank you for you reply, I'm glad to hear that you have everything running as desired!

I don`t know if there are medals awarded in Japan, but you have been of utmost help. If it was me I would award you the medal and title "Pride of Nippon". You are incorporating the best virtues of your country and heritage.

Wow, thank you very much, I'm happy to help!
I should perhaps add that I'm British, although I've lived in Japan quite a few years now...

Regarding organ sounds, Hauptwerk would have been my first suggestion. I'm afraid I don't know of any lightweight alternatives.

Good luck with the Rasperry Pi project!

Cheers,
James
x

Chordo24 #2872770 07/25/19 10:14 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
SO now the MP-11 setup is up and running properly. This leaves only one addition I would like: Adding a possibility to incorporate church-organ sounds. No Hauptwerk or Grandorgue, just an easy addition. Any hints and proposals?

Have you tried Organteq? It's a free organ version of Pianoteq.

I don't think it has many sounds, but it's free.

Kawai James #2882725 08/23/19 10:22 AM
S
S
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Chordo24,

To connect your MP11 to your laptop, you will first need a simple USB "A" to USB "B" cable - sometimes referred to as a USB printed cable. These are relatively inexpensive, and can be purchased for around 5 euros on Amazon etc. For example, this should be fine.

Once you have this cable, connect the square end to the MP11's USB to Host port, and the flat end to your laptop. Windows should automatically install it's built-in USB-MIDI driver. Next, open Pianoteq and try playing notes on the MP11. You should see and hear (through the laptop's speakers) those notes being played in Pianoteq. If not, you will need to access the Preferences window (in the Edit) menu, click the Devices tab, and select the USB-MIDI driver in the "Active MIDI inputs" list.

Once you have confirmed that MIDI is working between the MP11 and your laptop, the next step is to get the audio from your laptop to your speakers. You could connect your laptop directly to the speakers, however I would suggest connecting the laptop to the MP11's Line In jacks, which will mix the laptop sound with the MP11's internal sound, and give you the ability to adjust the volume of both using the MP11's volume faders. To connect the laptop's audio output to your MP11, you will likely need a 3.5mm mini stereo to 2x 6.35mm mono cable, such as this.

Once you have this cable, connect the 3.5mm mini stereo plug into your laptop's audio/headphone output, then the two 6.35mm plugs into your MP11's L/MONO and R line-in connectors. Now turn the MP11 on, set the instrument's Line In volume fader to the half-way point, and try playing some notes - you should be able to hear that laptop's Pianoteq sound being played through the speakers connected to your MP11. I expect you may also be hearing the MP11's internal piano sound, if so, turn off the PIANO section to disable that built-in tone generator, leaving just the laptop's Pianoteq sound. You will likely need to adjust the various volume levels in order to get the best results. My recommendation would be to set the laptop's volume quite high, the MP11's master volume quite high, and the MP11's Line In volume a little low.

I hope this helps - best of luck!

Cheers,
James
x

Hi James,

This is so helpful.
I’m very happy with my MP11SE and now looking to build the setup around it to enjoy playing my piano both via speakers and headphones.
I’m looking to set it up both with pianoteq (headphone or speaker) and internal sounds of the Kawai when i can’t be bothered to start the laptop.
I’m totally new to the whole MIDI thing and used to play acoustic guitar so I’m not used to having all these electric set ups smile

Am I correct in saying that I would need to follow the guide you wrote above (usb host - output of laptop to line in) and then monitors directly via xlr ports or headphone plugged into headphone port? If I have both plugged in, how do I select which one should be used? (Headphone or speakers)?

Secondly, do I need an audio interface if I’m going to use it the way you described it above or does my mp11se function as the audio interface? (That’s how i interpret it anyway).

Thirdly have you got any recommendations for speakers that work really well with the mp11se (internal and pianoteq)?
Ideally I’d like to spend max around 500 euro for the speakers.
I had found a deal to get JBL 305 MKII for less than 200 euro’s for example?
However I had found some reviews complaining that there’s a certain amount of hiss with these?
Are there any headphones that work specifically well for the stereo piano sounds or binaural sound that you can get from pianoteq if i understood correctly?

Lastly and these are really stupid questions regarding maintenance of my mp11se and precautions but regarding warmth and dust?
I bought a dust cover but it goes all the way over the piano and the back (meaning I have to remove the music stand every time, unplug the cables possibly with the speakers once installed in the future). Are there other options to just protect the key bed instead of this Kawai official dust cover that goes all the way?
Secondly regarding warmth, I’m looking to move my piano to face the garden instead of a wall but it would sit within half a meter to a meter to a heating element in the room? Is that dangerous? The manual says not to place it against any heating elements but I assume if there is half a meter or a meter between them (and the heating element is probably lower than the piano when it’s on the stand), that it would still be safe to do so in favor of a more fun view smile

Spie1904 #2883493 08/25/19 09:30 PM
Hello Spie1904,

Originally Posted by Spie1904
Am I correct in saying that I would need to follow the guide you wrote above (usb host - output of laptop to line in) and then monitors directly via xlr ports or headphone plugged into headphone port?

Yes, that should work.

If I have both plugged in, how do I select which one should be used? (Headphone or speakers)?

If speakers and headphones are both connected, sound will be produced by both simultaneously.
If your speakers are connected to the XLR outputs, the volume will be a fixed level - i.e. it cannot be adjusted using the Master Volume fader (only the individual Section volume faders). However, the Headphone output *is* controlled by the Master Volume fader, so this could potentially be used to enable/disable (play/mute) the headphone volume without affecting the speaker volume.

Secondly, do I need an audio interface if I’m going to use it the way you described it above or does my mp11se function as the audio interface? (That’s how i interpret it anyway).

This really depends on your computer. Some computers have reasonably good quality audio hardware, others less so. Macs (due to the OS) typically have lower latency output than Windows PCs, however the latency of the latter can be improved by using the ASIO4All audio driver. Generally speaking, (although not always...) an external audio interface will typically provide better quality audio, with lower latency than the audio hardware built-in to the computer, while also offering more flexibility in terms of connectivity. The MP11SE does not incorporate an audio interface.

Thirdly have you got any recommendations for speakers that work really well with the mp11se (internal and pianoteq)?
Ideally I’d like to spend max around 500 euro for the speakers.
I had found a deal to get JBL 305 MKII for less than 200 euro’s for example?
However I had found some reviews complaining that there’s a certain amount of hiss with these?
Are there any headphones that work specifically well for the stereo piano sounds or binaural sound that you can get from pianoteq if i understood correctly?

There are several threads about speakers and headphones. I do not have any personal recommendations, I'm afraid.

Lastly and these are really stupid questions regarding maintenance of my mp11se and precautions but regarding warmth and dust?
I bought a dust cover but it goes all the way over the piano and the back (meaning I have to remove the music stand every time, unplug the cables possibly with the speakers once installed in the future). Are there other options to just protect the key bed instead of this Kawai official dust cover that goes all the way?

Some folks just use a towel, or an acoustic piano key cloth cover.

Secondly regarding warmth, I’m looking to move my piano to face the garden instead of a wall but it would sit within half a meter to a meter to a heating element in the room? Is that dangerous? The manual says not to place it against any heating elements but I assume if there is half a meter or a meter between them (and the heating element is probably lower than the piano when it’s on the stand), that it would still be safe to do so in favor of a more fun view smile

I would exercise common sense. If the heating element is too hot, I would not place an MP11SE nearby. If I doubt, I would contact your local Kawai distributor for confirmation.

Kind regards,
James
x

Chordo24 #2883567 08/26/19 07:41 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Congrats on your setup, looks very solid, and will be good for years to come.

I tried the free organ below many years ago, and as far as I remember, it was not bad. It runs in the free Kontakt player, think I didn't have the full Kontakt at the time I tried Project Organ, so it must work in the free player.

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/project-organ-church-organ-freebie.61994/

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Searching for my first piano
by AndresVel - 01/16/21 03:34 PM
Tuning pin video
by accordeur - 01/16/21 03:22 PM
Concert pianist opintions regarding DP actions
by Marc345 - 01/16/21 02:50 PM
Size, placement, brand
by Anjru - 01/16/21 02:31 PM
KAWAI CA79 METRONOME
by Giovanni Zanini - 01/16/21 01:43 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,299
Posts3,047,439
Members100,079
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission