2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (alexii, Brendan, anotherscott, 36251, Bill McClellan, BlizzardPiano, Beemer, 9 invisible), 937 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W

Unfortunately, you need to be a subscriber to read the article.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

As far as I know, anyone can read up to 15 articles per month without subscribing.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It is now limited to 10 articles per month. You just need to give them your email address.

The article was well written and interesting.

[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

I am not a subscriber to the NYT, yet I was able to read the article.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
OP Online Content

As far as I know, anyone can read up to 15 articles per month without subscribing.

States ‘Ron Howard is developing a biopic on his rags-to-riches upbringing in China’.

That should be worth seeing.

.... Jeff ▫️ Yamaha P515 ▫️ Roll Tide
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jeffscot

States ‘Ron Howard is developing a biopic on his rags-to-riches upbringing in China’.

That should be worth seeing.

I thought the same thing. I enjoyed his documentary on Luciano Pavarotti.

[Linked Image]
Thank you for posting that article. I was able to read it just fine.

Honestly, I've always found Lang Lang's playing amateurish and annoying, and more than a bit robotic, to the point where I never could sit through one of his performances. I was sad but not surprised when he injured himself. I always thought it was a shame, as he had so much potential. What he needs is a dash of maturity - maybe playing that Bach will sober him up a bit. (I strongly recommend Bach to all my students and anyone who will listen.)

He has the potential to be a truly great pianist, and I wish him the best.

Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Cedar Park, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko"
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
From the NYT comment section:

"To vaunt tasteless performers like Lang Lang and Yuja Wang, who have zero artistic integrity, no depth, no culture, just showy technique is to destroy classical music and its most valuable traditions."

I sympathize, but only partly. Whatever one's tastes, these "showy" pianists do seem to do something to popularize classical music. At the more extreme end, there was Liberace. He did his thing, too; and I guess we all knew his shtick wasn't serious music. But he probably brought a lot of folks on board.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnlewisgrant

"To vaunt tasteless performers like Lang Lang and Yuja Wang, who have zero artistic integrity, no depth, no culture, just showy technique is to destroy classical music and its most valuable traditions."

I sympathize, but only partly. Whatever one's tastes, these "showy" pianists do seem to do something to popularize classical music. At the more extreme end, there was Liberace. He did his thing, too; and I guess we all knew his shtick wasn't serious music. But he probably brought a lot of folks on board.

I haven't yet read the article and don't know enough about Lang Lang to voice an opinion; that characterization of Yuja Wang, though, strikes me as wildly inaccurate. She's not my favorite pianist, but to say that she has no artistic integrity, depth, or culture is just wrong.

[Linked Image]

"The great thing about music is, if the plane goes down, everyone walks away."

-- David Bowie

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by ClsscLib

I haven't yet read the article and don't know enough about Lang Lang to voice an opinion; that characterization of Yuja Wang, though, strikes me as wildly inaccurate. She's not my favorite pianist, but to say that she has no artistic integrity, depth, or culture is just wrong.
I agree. Doesn't make sense.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by ClsscLib

I agree. Doesn't make sense.

"tasteless performers". I do NOT agree at all. Oh well, to each ones own....

[Linked Image]
H
H

WAY off base, at least with regard to Yuja Wang.

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hank M

It's worth noting that the quoted phrase is the remark of a *reader* commenting on the article, and not of the author of the article. In fact, a theme of the article is how Chinese pianists tend to be stereotyped in precisely the fashion of that comment.

The remark, "zero artistic integrity, no depth, no culture...", is (besides being wrong), so subjective that it's inevitable to suspect that it's motivated by something other than a pure-hearted musical sensibility.

[Linked Image]

"The great thing about music is, if the plane goes down, everyone walks away."

-- David Bowie
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

If one continues reading that comment it has some, in my opinion, racist undertones. Something to the effect of the pianists in question not being able to understand classical music because of not being westernized, whatever that means.

It also states that classical music is built on tradition which I vehemently disagree with. If it is though, no wonder why it's dying.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I agree that it is off-base to characterize Yuja Wang as tasteless unless you're closing your ears and extrapolating artistic taste and integrity from her choice of fashion.

Lang Lang and Yuja Wang dress equally tastelessly, but they play very differently. I think Lang Lang PLAYS rather tastelessly and without much artistic merit, but what's really interesting about him is what he's done for piano globally in terms of excitement in his home country and elsewhere, his effect on the piano buying market, and general interest in classical piano.

It's a fascinating story, and a fascinating subject (the classical rock star, who seems to pop up once a generation) and I'd be very interested in seeing a documentary on him.

Nothing will make me like his playing, though. BUT...some of his earliest recordings and performances were actually rather good. My current theory on this came after noting that they were all made while he was in, or recently graduated from school. I think that he has what appears to be limitless technique and a sponge-like capacity to absorb and channel good teaching. Two of the three pillars of greatness. Which means that when he was still training, and shortly thereafter, what you hear is Gary Graffman's incredible sense of artistry, playing through him. Later, when he was left to interpret the music on his own and not receiving daily input from sophisticated artists, he made some really questionable choices that left a lot of people scratching their heads about what kind of actual artist Lang Lang really was inside all along. And an inner sense of artistry--something amazing and unique to share with the world--is that third pillar. I don't see much development from there so my guess is that as incredibly interesting a person he might be, and as incredibly interesting his story is for its uniqueness and influence on the world of pianos and piano playing, he's just not that great of an artist.

I feel like you can be an amazing artist who is quite teachable, but with limited technical aptitude. You can be an amazing artist with technical aptitude but impossible to teach. And Lang Lang has unlimited technical aptitude, near-perfect teachability, but questionable artistry. But all three are necessary for objective greatness. Can you imagine if he'd been all three? However, HAD he been all three, I wonder if the fame would have followed. After all, part of what got him there was his INTEREST in playing in rock-star like venues and gravitating towards exhibitions of pyrotechnics, both literal and figurative.

I think Yuja Wang gets further down the path of being all three, by the way. She's not my favorite pianist in the world, and I'd never want to risk walking across a stage in those heels (fortunately nobody is asking), but I think it would be hard to dismiss her actual musical artistry.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MikeN

If one continues reading that comment it has some, in my opinion, racist undertones. Something to the effect of the pianists in question not being able to understand classical music because of not being westernized, whatever that means.

It also states that classical music is built on tradition which I vehemently disagree with. If it is though, no wonder why it's dying.

Yes, I think it is sadly rather in-fashion to dismiss Chinese pianists as robotic and lacking inherent artistry of their own. I hear a lot of talk about "competition robots" and almost always it seems to refer to Asian pianists.

I will say, I just got back from China and visited a friend who lives in a gigantic high rise in an affluent area of town. The local malls all have thriving piano dealerships. In the early evening during a hot summer, all windows were open and I could hear western-tradition classical music being practiced by children out of each of them, like hundreds of different birds singing overlapping songs in a tropical rainforest.

My friend looked up with me at the sky scrapers converging above us from the courtyard and mused, "you could make a fortune teaching piano here. The private teachers go from floor to floor after school all week. They charge whatever they want." Then she looked at me and added, "double it if you're Russian or Jewish."

So I guess making ethnic assumptions is not confined to the European side!

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
Yes, I think it is sadly rather in-fashion to dismiss Chinese pianists as robotic and lacking inherent artistry of their own. I hear a lot of talk about "competition robots" and almost always it seems to refer to Asian pianists.
People who think like that must be living in a vacuum because Asian pianists have done incredibly well in major competitions for many decades at this point.

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by TwoSnowflakes
And Lang Lang has unlimited technical aptitude, near-perfect teachability, but questionable artistry.
Unless you've read comments by his teachers I think any ideas about LL's teachability is total speculation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Is Music Right For You?
by FrankCox - 05/26/22 12:33 PM
Video on avoiding tension at the piano...
by thepianoplayer416 - 05/26/22 11:57 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,251
Posts3,194,707
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission