2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Philosobyte
Just want to jump in and say that as someone who had formerly pursued a career in classical piano performance, practiced 10 hours a day, and played on many nice pianos at conservatory and competitions, I found the RM3 Grand II in Kawai's VPC-1 to be better than the PHA-50 in Roland's RD-2000. The Kawai has more realistic momentum/dynamic weight characteristics, and the Kawai is also a little heavier (although still not heavy enough, in my opinion). The Kawai action does indeed bottom out unrealistically softly, but for me, a soft bottom is the lesser of two evils.

It is the momentum/dynamic weight characterstics mentioned here that is important to me. I think it is that, is what gives what I described as an organic* connection. That the piano had become an extension of me rather than something I played.

*organic - I missed my career in marketing

S
S
pold, about pivot lenght...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIIwhoPmI9A

Yamaha basic upright (B1) pivot lenght 16,77cm approximately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSGQu3XfCAE

Yamaha NU1 (B1 no strings) same pivot lenght.

the upright action is most demanding!! and if you add to that shorter pivot within the realism of the action, you get best interpretation in a Grand!!

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by sorrownightingale

the upright action is most demanding!! and if you add to that shorter pivot within the realism of the action, you get best interpretation in a Grand!!

I think I need actual proof of this. My casio is 18cm and known for being a very short pivot length. 16.77 means playing near the fall board is hard and results in little ability to regulate volume.

Last edited by KevinM; 07/24/19 08:17 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
On real pianos the hammer detaches from the key in the last moment and so there's no need for soft cushioning on the keys. The hammer will rebound and be caught by the backchecks but big part of the rebound energy is absorbed from the friction with the backcheck as well as from the elastic bend of the metal backcheck stem. However digital pianos don't have escapement to allow for the hammer to rebound and so there would be huge shock at the point of strike which would make the key to rebound and thus create very unnatural feeling. I guess that's why Kawai decided to create a lot of cushioning which will absorb the energy of the hammer. That's a problem with all digital piano actions so it's also why most of them are rather light compared to a real piano. As I have said numerous times, for some lucky reason the real piano actions was made up of many tiny workarounds and artifacts leading to a very natural and dynamic instrument. That can't be emulated without recreating the real piano action which is why hybrid instruments exist and there's market for them.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
S
S

Last edited by sorrownightingale; 07/24/19 08:43 AM.
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by pold
To me it's all about pivot length, if you play difficult technical things, it's so important. That's why I would compare the GFII to the Roland Hybrid Grand Keyboard, and disregard PHA-50. I like the soft bottoming also. In an acoustic piano the bottom is soft as well, but you don't realise it because you feel the hammer hitting the string, or maybe the keybed felts are aged and compressed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=79&v=EaLzC-q9vRs

Even if «  you dont realise it because you feel the hammer hitting the string » as you say
as long as you can’t feel it
even if it the hammer hits the string at the very last second
You will play on something that feel different

Which means a very soft bottoming feeling instead of a « classic » feeling
No matters how they put tons of mechanics in the process, you feel something different ( ok you will always feel something different, but I’m just trying to find the closest feeling)

as the message above from CyberGene... there are hybrids such as a NV10 ... which are very expensive pianos.
I tried it also and it feels VERY different from Grand Feel 2 key action.

Last edited by Randompianist2; 07/24/19 08:45 AM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Interesting. The distance from the end of the top part of the black key to the pivot point for a white key, from looking at those images looks be 3 cm or a little bit over. That would make the exposed part of the key with the fall board in place to be slightly less than 14cm. Most I've seen is 15cm so I suppose that is one way of dealing the issue, no point in exposing a part of a key that is unplayable.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Anyway, we are being diverted from the interesting discussion of comparison of roland and kawai actions.

S
S
Concert pianist Viktoriya Yermolyeva, she always uses roland

in RD-2000 (PHA50):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX6Oll-xvW4

in Roland RD-700GX (PHA II “Ivory Feel):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEkzEm_g83g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuWoOsMYUO8

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by sorrownightingale

Yes, I am not saying it's impossible, but you have to be careful about injuries also smile A big part of playing piano (or any other instrument) is improving without getting injured. Also think about it, do you think Paul Barton would prefer playing Beethoven Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement & Chopin Etude Op.10 No.1 on an upright, or on a grand?
I am not saying it's impossible, but with a shorter pivot there is always the risk of getting this kind of result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YSqk93g3Pc

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C

Yes, I am not saying it's impossible, but you have to be careful about injuries also smile A big part of playing piano (or any other instrument) is improving without getting injured. Also think about it, do you think Paul Barton would prefer playing Beethoven Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement & Chopin Etude Op.10 No.1 on an upright, or on a grand?
I am not saying it's impossible, but with a shorter pivot there is always the risk of getting this kind of result:

With all due respect I don't think that the pivot point has really any relevance to injury. Technique, posture, general fitness, practicising carefully and stopping when you get any twinges - you can usually switch to something else - are far more important. And playing on lots of different pianos and being able to adjust to their differences is a bit part of learning to play the instrument properly. Learn to play on the instrument you have, then go and play on another and master that, then another.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Are you telling me that size doesn’t matter?

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Pete14
Are you telling me that size doesn’t matter?

For you Pete, No smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
At this price level, I don't think you can go wrong with either Kawai action or Roland action. Pick the one you prefer and get practicing more!

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
S
S
Colin Miles +1

In NU1 or NU1x , N1,N1x, N2, N3, N3x and Kawai NV10 ( True hybrids piano action), injuries are due to poor practice techniques, as in any piano, or do you think you could not get injured in a Grand?. I study 4 or 5 hours everyday in my NU1 and I practice bodybuilding and fitness. Poor practice techniques = injuries in any instrument digital or acoustic. Obviously there are some digital pianos better than others ... some dissipate energy better in the final phase of the pulsation (bottom part), when the hammer hits, which is the one that could injure you, in acoustics the kinetic energy of the hammer is mostly dissipated in the strings. I am not saying that pivot lenght is not important, but in the range of pianos that have been named in it threads, is irrelevant. For example, VPC1 pivot lenght 17,33cm is considered one of the best for people who usually study in acoustics.
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...-to-the-acoustic-pianos.html#Post2858007

S
S
EPW +1

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Randompianist2
Yeah but I don’t speak about what do people prefer here I speak about more realistic keyboard or less unrealistic which is not a total subjective opinion @johnstaf

The fact that people disagree means it's entirely subjective. I think the Roland is more realistic.

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Colin Miles

With all due respect I don't think that the pivot point has really any relevance to injury. Technique, posture, general fitness, practicising carefully and stopping when you get any twinges - you can usually switch to something else - are far more important. And playing on lots of different pianos and being able to adjust to their differences is a bit part of learning to play the instrument properly. Learn to play on the instrument you have, then go and play on another and master that, then another.

+1

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Colin Miles

Yes, I agree, but I am talking about playing the piano every day, 8 hours. You shouldn't underestimate the potential damage from a short pivot. If you play simple things you will be fine. If you play difficult stuff all the time on an upright piano, prepare yourself for some bad things you didn't expect. With a long pivot you can practice longer, and you can have a "rest easy" feeling when you play near the fallboard.
And in this particular case the PHA-50 is too short, if you see in the photo the pivot length in both the Roland Hybrid grand and the GFII is almost twice.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C

Yes, I agree, but I am talking about playing the piano every day, 8 hours. You shouldn't underestimate the potential damage from a short pivot. If you play simple things you will be fine. If you play difficult stuff all the time on an upright piano, prepare yourself for some bad things you didn't expect. With a long pivot you can practice longer, and you can have a "rest easy" feeling when you play near the fallboard.
And in this particular case the PHA-50 is too short, if you see in the photo the pivot length in both the Roland Hybrid grand and the GFII is almost twice.

Well anyone who plays for 8 hours a day is bound to end up injured, no matter what piano you play on. That is just crazy. What concert pianist practices anywhere near that length of time?

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission