2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
R
Just my 2 cents based on what i've owned over the years. If i had to start from scratch and do it over again, i would choose either one of those:

- Ravenscroft 275: Immaculate scripting. With a good controller, it's hard to beat. Excels in "jazzy" material. These guys explain in detail why the Ravenscroft is so good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvlFr7DFr3o and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpquLAhuJIg

- Garritan CFX: A pillar for classical. But everyone seems to ignore how good it is for cinematic and pop as well. How? where? Explore the presets in the other mic positions besides the default mics:) Also, there are some presets which use the soft pedal that are simply stunning.

- VSL CFX: I call it the final production workhorse because it sounds good everywhere. A lot of audiophiles talk how Keyscape is a producer's dream but i say the VSL CFX should take that crown. It just sounds so full, vivid and so real anywhere you listen to it (car, earphones, headphones, laptop, PA system etc...). Has a very deep editing engine (almost Pianoteq like) and that editing engine is a must to use in order to get the "best" of it.

Sorry for the lengthy thoughts on each but i just wanted to share how i feel about those pianos.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Two weeks ago CyberGene put it this way: "... the CFX sounds like a real piano. Pianoteq is thin and metallic, with an apparent clank to the attack."

I entirely agree that Pianoteq tends towards sounding metallic out of the box. But what people generally are not aware of is that you can change the timbre a LOT by adjusting the velocity curve. In general the metallic sounds come forth at loud volumes (ie. high MIDI velocity values), but these can be avoided entirely by disallowing the velocity curve to get anywhere near the highest MIDI velocity values. This reduces dynamics, but there is also a dynamics slider which can then subsequently be used to bring the full dynamic range back again.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
C
OP Offline
C
RobR,
I don`t plan any productions, yt-videos etc.... just playing along for myself. How would you rate those 3 for this?

Thanks

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I recommend Garritan CFX (Full Version)

Pianoteq is nice too, but sounds way to similar between the instrument packs. Also there are some artifacts in it that i don't like.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
R
R
Originally Posted by Chordo24
RobR,
I don`t plan any productions, yt-videos etc.... just playing along for myself. How would you rate those 3 for this?

Thanks

I rate them all as excellent. Can't go wrong with either. The Garritan has the advantage that it has a lite version which you can "test the waters" with. Same playability as the full version minus the ambient mics.

If you have an ipad, the Ravenscroft also has an ios version which is as good as the desktop version, except it only has the close mics and you don't have control over parameters (it offer presets instead).

Last edited by RobR; 07/22/19 05:31 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RobR
A lot of audiophiles talk how Keyscape is a producer's dream ....

I’m very curious about the Keyscape VSTs. Spectrasonics apparently put extraordinary love, care and attention into re-creating those pianos & keyboards. And i like the way it locks into and compliments Omnisohere. Generally it gets very positive reviews and the demos can be gorgeous but it doesn’t seem to be popular among the players that post online. Maybe as you pointed out, it’s more of a producer VST rather than a player’s VST?

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just yesterday I installed the much heralded Garritan CFX. Superb. It kicks even more dust in Pianoteq's face, mainly because it sounds like there's a piano in the room. I highly recommend it.

Glad you like it.
I've rather taken a liking to the CFX myself too and catch myself preferring it over Pianoteq more and more. :X

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 7 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
R
R
Originally Posted by Groove On
Originally Posted by RobR
A lot of audiophiles talk how Keyscape is a producer's dream ....

I’m very curious about the Keyscape VSTs. Spectrasonics apparently put extraordinary love, care and attention into re-creating those pianos & keyboards. And i like the way it locks into and compliments Omnisohere. Generally it gets very positive reviews and the demos can be gorgeous but it doesn’t seem to be popular among the players that post online. Maybe as you pointed out, it’s more of a producer VST rather than a player’s VST?

Keyscape is great. Many people don't know this but it has close to 30 velocity layers. The issue i have with it is the fact that it's a custom C7 with special felts. It's not your typical clean C7 that you can EASILY do classical gymnastics on, specifically in the bass registers which in my opinion are its weak point. Other than that, it's fantastic for cinematic and jazz where the context mostly relies on lyrical or fast solo runs in the mid and upper-mid registers. It's fantastic for that. Not to mention that it integrates beautifully with Omnisphere, especially if you buy the "Keyscape Creative" package. Spectrasonics also added their secret sauce in it. It's not really that much of a secret sauce to me, basically it's a tape saturator that they use in their engine, which makes the piano very rich sounding and full of body.

Last edited by RobR; 07/22/19 06:44 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I reckon Pianoteq has a sale on for July, on their instrument packs. I enjoy the diversity these different instruments display, although not particularly liking all I've bought. It's good for the soul, to sometimes play a piano you don't like . . .
The most realistic is to me, the Bechstein vintage from their Klemscregg 2 package. Some nicely out of tune aspects in those which gives superb resonances . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
P
pmh Offline
P

Just yesterday I installed the much heralded Garritan CFX. Superb. It kicks even more dust in Pianoteq's face.

Hang on a minute, since when did the Garritan CFX become Charles Atlas or have I missed something😳

Paul H

Last edited by pmh; 07/22/19 09:39 AM.

Kemble Compact Acoustic Piano, Yamaha CVP 709 Polished White, Kawai MP11se, Pianoteq Standard, Galaxy Vintage D, Garritan CFX.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by pmh
...hang on a minute, since when did the Garritan CFX become Charles Atlas or have I missed something😳

Hi Paul,

The only thing you missed was the feeble attempt to diss PTQ once more.... smile

N
N
Worth a mention is Embertone. I think it has the best samples of any VST out there, in particular its resonances and staccato samples. The Lite version is only $40. Garritan is a good balance of sound and playability, but it's always sounded a little too 'pristine' to me.

Pianoteq is still king for playability. Nothing else has the dynamic range (essentially infinite) or customizability. It's still what I'd recommend to anyone looking to buy a single VST because it's a no-hassle setup, and it's always getting better. Pianoteq keeps getting better, whereas with sampled VST's I'm always looking for the 'next big thing.'

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I’m not sure what you mean by “infinite” dynamic range. That pressing the keys with velocity of 127 would produce sound volume that that’s so loud it can be heard throughout the universe? smile Dynamic range is something else, you must be confusing it with something else.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Get Pianoteq. I was disappointed with Garritan CFX - overblown, overhyped, over-reverbed VST.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
R
R
Originally Posted by scorpio
Get Pianoteq. I was disappointed with Garritan CFX - overblown, overhyped, over-reverbed VST.

*gets popcorn* This should be good...

Youtube piano recordings (classical music/video games/anime): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh9N3Xirs86USDQXE1WiwXg
Kawai Novus NV-10 / Yamaha Avantgrand N1 with Garritan CFX VST
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you have not listened to rach3master's YT channel, you must do so. And the nice part, which I wish more players did, he provides a link to his CFX settings. Nice job!

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I was disappointed with Garritan CFX - overblown, overhyped, over-reverbed VST.
True.

If you have not listened to rach3master's YT channel, you must do so. And the nice part, which I wish more players did, he provides a link to his CFX settings. Nice job!
rach3master's most recent video sounds spectacular.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y68INEDc1EU

His Garritan CFX settings are linked here. Much different from my settings and typical settings used here. I'll try them today
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...tan-cfx-concert-grand-full-settings.html

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Something I learned only very recently is rach3master is a girl smile Indeed, she’s one of the best examples of how good Gartitan CFX is.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I am reminded of a time when I was just beginning to develop cataracts in my eyes.

I researched the topic online and at my next eye exam ....

I presented a few of the homeopathic options that were frequently suggested in my research and asked him which of them he thought might be worth trying as a means of slowing down the progression of the cataracts.

He replied .... "Try them all".

That same wry suggestion might very well apply to this (which VST to try) topic as well.

Therefore .... I suggest ....

Try Them All

Good Luck

Oh ... BTW ..... None of them (catataract cures) worked.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Something I learned only very recently is rach3master is a girl smile

Why does this comment seem a bit RUDE to me ?

Oh,wait .... I know .... because I just saw a comment made by Rach3master 2 comments prior to this.

AND ..... the icon that accompanies the name Rach3master on the youtube videos does not appear to be a girl.

Color me old-fashion but I think that was an extremely rude comment and would expect an apology forthcoming.

(Whether it is true or not) and it matters not to me one way or another.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission