2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
46 members (BrokenSymmetry, 1957, Bett, Auraltuner, Alexander Acosta, calenadariel, accordeur, Burkey, 14 invisible), 370 guests, and 396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Motivation for adult beginners
ebonykawai #2871616 07/22/19 08:15 PM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
I honestly don't believe ANY Youtube "One Year" claims like this. Sorry, no, this is just not genuine nor realistic. For 99% of people, children and adult, learning piano takes years of regular practice, starting with easy pieces and gradually moving on to more complex pieces. Even if those were the only pieces he played in that year to 18 months, it's still not believable to me. Not by a long shot.

I tend to be very skeptical of claims by some people on the internet (despite how badly they might play). I have seen a few people attempt to short circuit doing 'the hard yards' of the typical piano journey, but they failed. The only one I find convincing is Sam Rose here on PW.

However, putting that aside if people find it motivating all well and good. The reality is though, that seeing someone else play a piece should bring little comfort to anyone learning piano. In my practice room it is just me, my talent determination and the piano, and nothing is going to change that. If the question were more 'can I as an average person become the amateur pianist I want to be?' Then I get all my inspiration from (for all intents and purposes) the average people here on ABF who are doing just that.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
NobleHouse #2871636 07/22/19 09:44 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
I honestly don't believe ANY Youtube "One Year" claims like this. Sorry, no, this is just not genuine nor realistic. For 99% of people, children and adult, learning piano takes years of regular practice, starting with easy pieces and gradually moving on to more complex pieces. Even if those were the only pieces he played in that year to 18 months, it's still not believable to me. Not by a long shot.

I believe it and it is possible in my opinion. As Moo said, the pieces are not polished at all. But it is interesting to see what a person can accomplish by trying hard.

With zero music education and having never touched a piano before? I'm not buying it. If he had played some other instrument for a while and knew how to read music, sure, then I'd concede it's possible, though not probable for most of the population, at least not in 4 weeks to be up and playing an easy version of a Chopin nocturne, and playing Liszt some weeks later.

Videos like this can inspire some people. The rest may attempt to learn and then quit when they find that this is nowhere near the norm, without ever seeing that playing more difficult pieces takes a load of time, dedication, and determination. I far value Tiffany Poon's videos more than nonsense like this, especially the ones of her practicing, showing her drilling the same short passage over and over and over again.THAT is real.

Last edited by ebonykawai; 07/22/19 09:45 PM.

Lisa

Playing RCM 8 repertoire
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP & CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
ebonykawai #2871752 07/23/19 07:11 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

I believe it and it is possible in my opinion. As Moo said, the pieces are not polished at all. But it is interesting to see what a person can accomplish by trying hard.

Videos like this can inspire some people. The rest may attempt to learn and then quit when they find that this is nowhere near the norm, without ever seeing that playing more difficult pieces takes a load of time, dedication, and determination. I far value Tiffany Poon's videos more than nonsense like this, especially the ones of her practicing, showing her drilling the same short passage over and over and over again.THAT is real.

We at least agree with your last paragraph.

[Linked Image]
Tom97 #2871770 07/23/19 08:03 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I joined an adult meet-up group and found that adults commonly learn without music. When asked why many explained they had major struggles reading the sheet music and some said they could not read it at all. My sense it that it is hard to learn to read music as you have to play easier pieces and follow a more linear fashion. I suspect many of the adults that play hard pieces learn short cuts as synthesia. Interestingly a lot of us have never learnt to memorise so the idea that memorising something as you can’t follow the score seems counterintuitive .

Tom97 #2871830 07/23/19 10:11 AM
G
G
Personally I don't give a d*** how fast someone is making progress, I listen to what I hear in the moment. If I listen to a pianist I am not the slightest interested in 1. how long this person has studied piano playing and at what age he/she started or 2. what kind of education the pianist has or 3. how fast this pianist learned this particular piece.

Actually, I DO NOT CARE, and I guess I am quite a normal listener. I am there for the music. Sometimes I am also there to study the technique. It is a pleasure to see someone being really, really good at something I know is very difficult. When I see a skilled pianist I admire and respect the enormous amount of work I know she has put behind her performance.

THAT is inspiration to me. I find it quite annoying when I notice how many people who seriously rate pianists after their fast learning progress, or even their ability to press one (1) key faster than anyone else during one minute. Not to mention people who judge the concert after how famous the pianist is, how young or even how good-looking ... (or how good they are at sight-reading or memorizing).

I mean, all this is BS. It is just surface. What about the music?

No, I have not bought the myth about you must start as a toddler or you must be granted with special talents by the gods. You can start learning anytime in life, as long as you maintain a childish, humble attitude of learning instead of trying to break some silly record - look, I went from that to this in this short time! Call me a genious, pleeease. We all have our personal path to follow, and slow learners are not necessarily bad learners.

So in a way all these "look at my ultra fast progress" videos are inspiring, they show what is possible. At the same times they are not, as the displayed result often is very poor from an objective point of view. You think that if someone can make THAT progress in that short time period, they will be incredibly good some years later? I think there is a big danger that the development will not proceed in the desired way. This pianist mentioned presents some quite mediocre versions of classical pieces that usually require years of preparation and experience, and he also demonstrates his practice routines that look like practice routines usually do when you have played for a year and have entered early intermediate level.

Last edited by ghosthand; 07/23/19 10:13 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Passable new string
by LemonColor - 10/29/20 09:06 PM
Faure Improvization
by cmb13 - 10/29/20 08:45 PM
Once upon a time there was a real Gors and Kallman
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 07:01 PM
Practice advice
by 3B43 - 10/29/20 06:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,484
Posts3,018,565
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission