Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
58 registered members (Animisha, Aurele27, AlphaBravoCharlie, Balezin Dmitry, Alex Hutor, 13 invisible), 1,109 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Help needed! #2871751
07/23/19 07:07 AM
07/23/19 07:07 AM
S
Sagittarius85 Offline OP
Sagittarius85  Offline OP
S

Hello,

I am a total newbie. I want to learn how to play a piano. I want to buy an instrument to my home. I have no idea what would be good enough for an amateur, just for playing at home from time to time.
It's hard to get an objective opinion, because every dealer wants to sell his piano and I am really not sure who is telling the truth.

I want it to be a good piano, but same time I don't want to pay for something I won't ever use. The another "problem" is that to my room matches only a white piano. After a few months of searching I have noticed that it's very hard to get… Almost all white pianos in my area are re-painted by dealers and I have to admit that they don't look very good.

I have an offer for a white KAWAI CS-9E from 1989, very good condition, original polished white colour (which in my opinion after polishing looks much better than other re-painted pianos I have seen). I have already known that it's quite "rare" model and it's hard to find some information about it. The dealer wants for it 2600$ (2300Euro) with transport, bringing it on the 2nd floor and 5-year warranty.

Do you think it's a good deal? Do you think that model would be sufficient for an amateur?

Thank you for advice.

best regards
Tom

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Help needed! [Re: Sagittarius85] #2871781
07/23/19 08:31 AM
07/23/19 08:31 AM
Chiltern Hills, England.
G
gwing Offline
gwing  Offline
G

Chiltern Hills, England.
Originally Posted by Sagittarius85
Hello,

I am a total newbie. I want to learn how to play a piano. I want to buy an instrument to my home. I have no idea what would be good enough for an amateur, just for playing at home from time to time.
It's hard to get an objective opinion, because every dealer wants to sell his piano and I am really not sure who is telling the truth.

I want it to be a good piano, but same time I don't want to pay for something I won't ever use. The another "problem" is that to my room matches only a white piano. After a few months of searching I have noticed that it's very hard to get… Almost all white pianos in my area are re-painted by dealers and I have to admit that they don't look very good.

I have an offer for a white KAWAI CS-9E from 1989, very good condition, original polished white colour (which in my opinion after polishing looks much better than other re-painted pianos I have seen). I have already known that it's quite "rare" model and it's hard to find some information about it. The dealer wants for it 2600$ (2300Euro) with transport, bringing it on the 2nd floor and 5-year warranty.

Do you think it's a good deal? Do you think that model would be sufficient for an amateur?

Thank you for advice.

best regards
Tom

Hi Tom,

You may get more/better responses if you ask in the 'Digital Pianos' forum rather than her as this bit of the forum is essentially for acoustic 'proper' pianos.

However I'd say that that seems a really expensive price for a thirty year old digital piano when a new Kawai CS11 can be obtained for under £3000. Technology really has moved on a lot and personally I wouldn't consider an old CS9 at anywhere near that price.

Everyone has different ideas but if you are a complete newbie I'd suggest getting something much cheaper to start with, the Casio PX160 is often recommended but just make sure it is a model with 88 fully weighted keys. That sort of keyboard will be sufficient to learn on with the intention of later upgrading to either a top quality digital (such as the Kawai CS models) or a 'proper' acoustic piano. When you start you don't really know where your interests will take you or even whether you will continue so my view is that it is best not to commit too much money at that stage. Just assume that whatever you think is a 'reasonable' expenditure now will either be replaced by much more ambitious aims if you get the bug or just given away if you don't continue :-)

Good luck and happy progress on your piano journey,
Rob.

P.S. the 'furniture' on digital pianos is usually pretty junk, just MDF panels so if you don't find what you want in white you could just get a readily available black one and refinish it yourself. If you do a good job it'll be better than one coming white out of the factory.

Re: Help needed! [Re: Sagittarius85] #2871787
07/23/19 08:40 AM
07/23/19 08:40 AM
S
Sagittarius85 Offline OP
Sagittarius85  Offline OP
S

But Kawai CS-9E from 1989 is an acoustic piano laugh

Re: Help needed! [Re: Sagittarius85] #2871836
07/23/19 10:24 AM
07/23/19 10:24 AM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
OK. I’ll say this gently. I think your insistence on an acoustic white piano will greatly hinder your search. It makes things much more difficult. Polished black contrasts really well with white furniture and can be the feature of the room. Add some big framed black and white photos around the black piano and you’re set. Black pianos come in all shapes and sizes. They’re easy to find, easy to buy, and far easier to sell. They can blend in or stand out. Plus, you can start practicing on your new to you black piano instead of still searching for something that was white from the factory.
Check out the thread entitled “White piano taboo” that was quite active about a month ago. I don’t want to offend anyone but the color of the cabinet should never be the determining factor when selecting your piano. I’ll probably get some nasty posts for saying that.
That Kawai is already 30 years old and might have quite a bit of wear and tear. If you still really want the white Kawai, get it checked thoroughly by an independent (from the dealer) piano tech. Good Luck!

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Help needed! [Re: Sagittarius85] #2872056
07/23/19 08:44 PM
07/23/19 08:44 PM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
A lot of discussion occurs about white pianos. If my wife was still with me, I'd have gone for one - she hates black ones.

Don't be put off by the colour, just be aware that dealers find them difficult to sell - so, particularly with a Used one - you should be able to get a bit of leverage to maybe even drop the price - though, it's not very high anyway - particularly with a warranty, delivery and 2nd floor included.

Could be harder to sell if it ever comes to that, but that's the way things go.

As suggested above, it's always best to have it inspected by YOUR OWN technician.

I assume you've tried other pianos - there are always plenty for sale.

If it comes about - enjoy your new (to you) piano.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: Help needed! [Re: Sagittarius85] #2872060
07/23/19 08:56 PM
07/23/19 08:56 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
A lot of discussion occurs about white pianos. If my wife was still with me, I'd have gone for one - she hates black ones.
This is probably OT, but the last 4 new pick-up trucks I've bought over the years were all red. My late wife, Barbara, liked a white vehicle. The last vehicle that was her's, before she became disabled, was white.

I bought a new 2018 Chevy Silverado truck at the end of last year, when they had the year-end model closeout sales, and it was a white one in honor of her. Now, for some reason I like a white vehicle. When I drive that white truck, I think of her.

So, backto_study_piano, I can certainly relate...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Help needed! [Re: Sagittarius85] #2872067
07/23/19 09:27 PM
07/23/19 09:27 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Hi Tom
Like you, I am not a black piano fan; I prefer a warm wood but they are only slightly more available than white ones. ..... buying a piano is not like buying a car where you can find the same make and model in a different color and it will be the same car. Two pianos of the same model and year will not be identical to each other. Once I realized this, I gritted my teeth and eliminated color from my criteria; I found a black one that I love to play. Quite honestly, the color is no longer an issue.

I’m not sure this will be enough to change your mind, so be sure and get the piano independently inspected. I think you can make an offer under the asking price because white pianos are more difficult for the dealer to sell.

The important thing is that you look forward to playing it! And yes, it will work just fine assuming it passes your inspection 😊

Last edited by dogperson; 07/23/19 09:35 PM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Long Distance Piano Moving
by jojousa. 08/22/19 10:20 PM
A Scale Per Day or Per Week or Per...
by writebynight. 08/22/19 10:13 PM
1998 C1 vs. 2016 CG1
by inna_denver. 08/22/19 07:21 PM
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,681
Posts2,861,685
Members94,222
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission