Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
130 registered members (Akaitsuki, Blee7, 36251, ando, Bett, astrotoy, AaronSF, 26 invisible), 1,638 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Nostalgia #2871712
07/23/19 05:10 AM
07/23/19 05:10 AM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline OP
Sibylle  Offline OP

Ireland
This is just some personal stuff I'm sharing, if you're not into that, you won't miss much if you skip it smile

Some of you have read my story about how I lost all my sheet music and with it the last of my deceased teacher's handwriting. Well, the other day I found an old folder with photocopied music in the attic, and there's actually a Bach Prelude + Fugue she copied for me - it's even dated! What a treasure.

[Linked Image]

April 1986, I was 16 at the time.

And yes, there's quite a lot of her remarks and hints in there. I hated Bach, haha.

[Linked Image]

I also found my coming-of-age present from her in 1988, in the archives of the Frankfurt Alte Oper's website. Look at that program!! This, ladies and gentleman, was the evening that changed everything. Truly a coming of age, or rather, a becoming aware of an entire world that I hadn't even realised existed growing up in a small industrial town.

Oh the memories! Do you have any particularly poignant ones from when you were growing up (pertaining to music and the piano)?

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Nostalgia [Re: Sibylle] #2871744
07/23/19 06:52 AM
07/23/19 06:52 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online confused
Silver Level
cmb13  Online Confused
Silver Level
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Great find! I’m glad you were able to bring back some memories. That venue looks incredible, by the way. So historic and regal.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions (in a not quite random order)

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Nostalgia [Re: Sibylle] #2871746
07/23/19 07:00 AM
07/23/19 07:00 AM
Denmark
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
QuasiUnaFantasia  Offline

Denmark
That's actually quite funny: a retroactively designed webpage for a concert held before the age of the internet. smile

Congratulations on reconnecting with your own piano history!

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28, Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Re: Nostalgia [Re: Sibylle] #2871763
07/23/19 07:36 AM
07/23/19 07:36 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Finding a "lost" treasure is always a pleasure. I am happy for you!

[Linked Image]
Re: Nostalgia [Re: Sibylle] #2871797
07/23/19 09:15 AM
07/23/19 09:15 AM
Essex, UK
W
WTM Offline
WTM  Offline
W

Essex, UK
Lovely Sibylle, thanks for sharing. Your posts are always good.

Yamaha CLP685
Enjoying piano since May 2018
My Youtube
Re: Nostalgia [Re: Sibylle] #2871802
07/23/19 09:21 AM
07/23/19 09:21 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Lovely memory of my string teacher taking me to my first ever concert in the fifth grade and taking me backstage
It was an eye-opener to a whole new world 😊

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Nostalgia [Re: Sibylle] #2871874
07/23/19 12:30 PM
07/23/19 12:30 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

I kept all the music scores and sheet music I was ever given or which I bought, all the way back to the Jurassic era..........including the John Thompson Easiest Piano Course (in glorious black and white then, just like the TV in my home country at the time). They still have my first teacher's pencil marks on them, including 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 etc between the staves, to remind me to count the beats aloud. (I credit all that counting in those early months for my unerring sense of rhythm now whistle).

But what I treasure most is my first book of real piano music (Denes Agay's Easy Classics to Moderns) which introduced me to many of the great composers - chief among them, one W.A.Mozart. I was quite chuffed that just three months into lessons, I was able to play music by the greatest composer who ever lived. My teacher (who gave me that book) realized that I was now completely immersed in the classics and didn't want to play any more simplified arrangements of anything, and she was quite happy to indulge me. grin. When she left (after one year) to further her piano studies abroad, she gifted me with a lovely volume of Mozart's piano music (a selection of sonatas, fantasias, variations and rondos), telling me that she hoped I would one day play all of them. I did, and I still use that ancient volume now - unfortunately with no inscription in it by her. Every time I play from it, I wondered where she is, and what she is doing now.........

Anyway, there's plenty of opportunity for me to indulge in nostalgia, because of my hoarding tendencies wink . I still have the notebook in which I got my teacher to write in the title & composer of the piece she played for me after every lesson (- she knew she was my only source of classical music at the time, and therefore played me a new piece every week), and I promised her that I'd learn all of them when I was 'good enough'. I don't know whether she believed I'd do it, as some of the pieces she played verged on the virtuosic, but I did keep my promise. If I ever met her again, that's what I'd tell her grin.

After her, I had two other teachers as I went through all the grade exams (in two different countries separated by 20,000 miles, as the robin flies), but there was very little left from them, because most of the pieces I learnt from them were from music scores that they lent me - and then took back after I'd finished with them. But with my last teacher, I was learning big, big works for which I had to buy the big scores: Beethoven sonatas (in three volumes), Chopin's Etudes & Polonaises, Schumann's Carnaval & Kreisleriana, Brahms's Op.79 & Op.117-118, Rachmaninov's Preludes & Etudes-tableaux and Debussy's Preludes, Estampes, Images etc. So my scores have his pencil marks scattered over them, mostly fingerings and circled notes (when I misread them).

I doubt whether he's still alive now as he was already in his late fifties when I was still a teenager (though one doesn't ask a man his age), but he formed much of my "mature" technical and interpretative acumen (ahem!), which enabled me to be the (mediocre) pianist that I now am........ thumb

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Nostalgia [Re: Sibylle] #2871901
07/23/19 01:46 PM
07/23/19 01:46 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Bennevis
Too bad I can’t delete my nostalgia post. Not much can come close to your nostalgia about the level of pieces you learned as a pup.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Nostalgia [Re: Sibylle] #2871950
07/23/19 03:22 PM
07/23/19 03:22 PM
Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Orange Soda King Online happy
6000 Post Club Member
Orange Soda King  Online Happy
6000 Post Club Member

Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I played piano since I was 6, but didn't start seriously studying classical piano and practicing more than 10-15 minutes a day until I was in 8th grade and switched to a new piano teacher. She made me practice 40 minutes a day, then bumped it up to an hour, and gradually more. I didn't enjoy it too much, but my parents wouldn't let me quit, so I just figured it was something I'll have to do until I graduate high school. She also started entering me into local piano competitions and similar adjudicated events. At one competition, a girl who was much better than I played the finale of the Waldstein sonata, and I really really liked it, so I looked it up on YouTube and found the recording by Gilels. That was the first time I searched for classical music on YouTube, and I listened to that recording over and over and over again. I went to my next lesson and proudly told my teacher I wanted to play the Waldstein sonata. She said "that piece is way too difficult for you right now." And I replied, "well, I want to become good enough to one day play it." That's when a switch flipped in me, and I was happy to practice two or more hours a day, and I made lots of progress.

I actually learned the entire sonata without telling her a year or two later (or anyone else really, except my parents who would hear me practicing, but didn't think too much of it). But I was too nervous to ever tell her or bring it to her (it wasn't at a high level, still some obvious technical issues), and I eventually stopped practicing it to focus more on what she assigned me. I promised myself that I'd bring it back and properly practice/learn it. That's when I knew I wanted to study music after graduating, and be a professional musician.

Recently, I've fallen in love with Op. 101 and am working hard on that right now, but maybe the next Beethoven sonata I can learn is Waldstein. I think I'm long, long overdue!

I feel weird calling myself a professional musician, but 100% of my income is from making (and a little teaching) music in some sort of capacity or another, so by that criteria, I am a professional musician? I suppose I'm suffering from impostor syndrome since many of my pianist friends went on to big music schools and advanced degrees and are much better than I am now, and I feel like I let myself be left behind due to many reasons. But that's a whole separate story to tell at another time.

Re: Nostalgia [Re: Sibylle] #2872178
07/24/19 08:31 AM
07/24/19 08:31 AM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline OP
Sibylle  Offline OP

Ireland
Originally Posted by dogperson
Lovely memory of my string teacher taking me to my first ever concert in the fifth grade and taking me backstage
It was an eye-opener to a whole new world 😊

I can really relate to that. It's a magical experience!

Thank you all for understanding, guys, and for the absolutely heartwarming stories! Music is such a huge part of life, and it's quite astonishing to me how emotional these old memories are. Well, maybe not as astonishing considering my teacher and friend died way too young, and that all the sheet music containing her wisdom and teaching got lost through a stupid mistake by a moving company, but still!

3hearts

Last edited by Sibylle; 07/24/19 08:33 AM.

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Legendenton?
by gooddog. 08/22/19 05:55 PM
Where to buy keyboards?
by Adi0202. 08/22/19 02:30 PM
Yamaha YDP-151
by Nexus6634. 08/22/19 01:47 PM
Solfege anyone ?
by Serge88. 08/22/19 01:31 PM
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,673
Posts2,861,571
Members94,222
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission