2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 67 of 237 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 236 237
O
O
So, my N1X came in early. I got it on Wednesday (Score! :)) and have been able to play it for maybe 4 hours. My initial obseravations are this.

1. The piano sounds significantly different through speakers vs through headphones.(comparing piano #1 binaural sample to same option through speakers) Not a bad thing just interesting. I would say through headphones the sound comes through cleaner with less reverb but overall feels less alive and realistic than it does through the speakers. Perhaps this is partly to do with my headphones? I am using sony mdr 7506s. I get sufficient volume with them at about 75%. I also tried the cheaper pair of on ear Yamaha branded headphones that came with the piano. They were barely loud enough at 100%.

2. Classical music sounds amazing and is much easier to play vs. my old dp I replaced.

3. Songs where I use a lot of block cords have been an adjustment. I have to adjust my touch and pedaling to create the sound I am accustomed to getting from my old dp.

4. I actually experienced the same impression the #4 sounds clearer than the other piano options. I don't necessarily prefer it though.

5. Sadly there is no compatibility with the N1X using the android version of smart pianist on my note 9. I guess I will have to purchase an apple device to use the app?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Onyx
5. Sadly there is no compatibility with the N1X using the android version of smart pianist on my note 9. I guess I will have to purchase an apple device to use the app?

Is this just an N1X thing? Because this post suggests it should be working now. (I only have iOS devices so I don't really know about Android devices.)

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't allow androids to play my piano. Only humans. smile

But really ... you buy an almost top-of-the-line piano, and instead of playing it you want to fart around with a phone?

B
B
You know what?
... I'm happy! smile
It's been a month now that I am in love! Took me some time to adapt my beginner skill to this "professionnal" touch. We starting to know each other. My 1-2 fingers are so grateful since my trills look like real trills.
The negative point is that I have the same fallboard issue that kipdent mentioned. The red felt was touching keys at the bottom high notes but was ok in the other side. Tech came, adjust a bit but it still touching a little little bit. A new fallboard was ordered.
Question for the club : who use a piano lamp on the N1X and which one? Clip or foot?

Last edited by Bro'; 07/21/19 11:25 AM.

Chopin is the only dead man that makes me feel alive.
Bro'
B
B
Originally Posted by Bro'

The negative point is that I have the same fallboard issue that kipdent mentioned. The red felt was touching keys at the bottom high notes but was ok in the other side. Tech came, adjust a bit but it still touching a little little bit. A new fallboard was ordered.

Couldn't edit my last post so here is a video of the fallboard issue

https://youtu.be/TUBfYWprTao

Bro'
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

How is this a problem?

J
J

I watched the video but I don’t see what the issue is. Honestly, if that were my instrument I wouldn’t have noticed that anything is wrong. If you look hard you can find fault with almost anything. On the other hand, if it affects the way the piano plays then it certainly needs to be addressed.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
I don't see it either.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
It looks like there is a 1mm height gap on the bass end where the fallboard almost contacts the keys, and on the treble end there is no gap because the bottom of the fallboard touches the keys?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
B
B
I will try to explain (with my approximate english)...
The first time I opened the fallboard I felt like a friction (you can hear it on the video, it's not my breathing noise)) but thought it was normal. I was clearly too exciting to play to noticed that it was an issue.
When I closed it, the friction "curbed" the way down. I had to assist it with my hand. When I looked "deeply" I saw a difference between the bass notes gap and the high notes. The fallboard suppose to rest on the cabinet when it's open and mine was'nt. There was between 5mm and 1 cm space between the cabinet and the fallboard when it's wild open.
When I called the store, the dealer told me that a couple of N1X they sold needed a tech intervention cause of a fallboard issue and told me to leave it open until a technician come.
When the tech took the fallboard out, we clearly saw that one of the two bracket was'nt well alined. He tried to adjust it but, even if it's much better now, he noticed that the bracket was'nt screwed at the right place. A question of few millimeters. He said that in a long term the friction can affect the mechanic cause touching the back of the black keys each time you open/close the fallboard and so prefer order a new fallboard.
It's easy to say that if it was your instrument you would'nt have considered it a failure but when you pay 7000 euros for a high end instrument you expect it to be well finished.
Tried to be as clear as possible...

Bro'
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Now that you've explained it, I hope your new fallboard is better than the original.

Last edited by johnstaf; 07/22/19 12:04 AM.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Sounds like a similar fallboard issue a few people have reported here (misaligned/ill-fitting). Hope you get it fixed in short order!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
D
David B Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
I noticed the fallbaord issue in his video. The misalignment was causing the red felt to rub on the treble side.

Glad you're happy with your N1X, Bro. It's a fine instrument.

God Bless,
David

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Oh oh! There's some N1X drama afoot, folks. Cunningham Piano has stepped in to let us know that there's more than meets the eye to Onyx's piano story.

Originally Posted by Onyx
So, my N1X came in early. I got it on Wednesday (Score! :)) and have been able to play it for maybe 4 hours. My initial obseravations are this.

1. The piano sounds significantly different through speakers vs through headphones.(comparing piano #1 binaural sample to same option through speakers) Not a bad thing just interesting. I would say through headphones the sound comes through cleaner with less reverb but overall feels less alive and realistic than it does through the speakers. Perhaps this is partly to do with my headphones? I am using sony mdr 7506s. I get sufficient volume with them at about 75%. I also tried the cheaper pair of on ear Yamaha branded headphones that came with the piano. They were barely loud enough at 100%.

2. Classical music sounds amazing and is much easier to play vs. my old dp I replaced.

3. Songs where I use a lot of block cords have been an adjustment. I have to adjust my touch and pedaling to create the sound I am accustomed to getting from my old dp.

4. I actually experienced the same impression the #4 sounds clearer than the other piano options. I don't necessarily prefer it though.

Originally Posted by navindra
Oh oh! There's some N1X drama afoot, folks. Cunningham Piano has stepped in to let us know that there's more than meets the eye to Onyx's piano story.

Are you referring to this post in the "Prices Paid" thread?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by navindra

Are you referring to this post in the "Prices Paid" thread?

James
x

That's after the fact. Cunningham actually posted directly to the thread, but their response was also deleted.

J
J
I contacted Cunningham Piano after seeing the price of $6988 for an N1X. It seemed too good to be true, particularly as they politely declined my offer of $8200 for an N1X shortly before the much lower price was posted.

The individual I contacted at Cunningham was very professional and courteous and looked into the situation, as I detailed on the Prices Paid thread.

Normally I wouldn’t care what people post on an Internet forum. However seeing such a low price, if true, could make those individuals who bought an N1X for a significantly higher price potentially feel bad about their purchase, and I don’t think that’s fair to them.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
H
H
If you want an N1X and live in the UK, keep an eye on Yamaha showroom in Soho - that's where I've seen the lowest N1X price, i.e. £5,999 ($7.4k). It was a specific promotion, though, now the price is £6.5k delivered (but no bench).

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I posted in response as well and it was removed with the rest of the thread. My guess was that the price included some kind of trade-in that was not disclosed in the original report.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
O
O
What did they say? I never did get to see what happened. I just noticed yesterday evening my post was removed from the prices paid. I reposted it assuming it got removed because I included to much info about the vendor.

Page 67 of 237 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission