Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Animisha, Aurele27, AlphaBravoCharlie, Balezin Dmitry, Alex Hutor, 13 invisible), 1,117 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Motivation for adult beginners #2871198
07/21/19 02:43 PM
07/21/19 02:43 PM
Czech Republic
T
Tom97 Online content OP
Tom97  Online Content OP
T

Czech Republic
So this guy took up the piano roughly 18 months ago (at least he claims so) with no prior music education and this him now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG7D0eEYGe8 - Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C Sharp Minor (after 17 months !!!! )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUr3kazFBLo - Debussy - Clair de lune (after 11 months ...)

He also recorded himself play some of the very famous Chopin´s nocturnes etc. - see his channel.

If I am not mistaken, he is about 31. Obviously very talented, passionate and hard working. For me personally, his videos have been a huge amount of motivation. A proof that you can play these beautiful pieces even if you don´t start as a 5 year old kid.

Also, this video on his practice routine is very interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCQnWEKF9f4
You can see he puts a lot of effort into developing his technique.

What are your thoughts on this?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Tom97] #2871206
07/21/19 03:08 PM
07/21/19 03:08 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
The practice;
Scale practice is uneven with errors accepted . Practice needs to be mindful otherwise of little benefit if you are just chugging through the notes and patterns.
Slow and fast practice on repertoire. : when he makes an error, he only plays the error correctly once or may just return to the beginning of the piece rather than stopping and drilling on the error. His ‘slow’ is not slow enough.

I’m not impressed with the practice habits or the outcome. .
I am much more impressed with a methodical beginning pianist who plays music at the correct level musically and well and who is developing good habits.

I’m glad the videos are motivating to you.... but I hope you will rise to a higher personal standard rather than rushing to get ‘there’’. The goal is to play beautiful music in a beautiful way, irrespective of the difficulty of the music. And there is beautiful music at every level! Patience in mindful practice and developing skills is so important

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Tom97] #2871210
07/21/19 03:18 PM
07/21/19 03:18 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Moo :)  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

I enjoyed the Clair de Lune. I agree that was impressive for 11 months. The Rach prelude I did not enjoy at all. It was dull and bland. So I was 50% impressed :p.

Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Tom97] #2871212
07/21/19 03:22 PM
07/21/19 03:22 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

Personally I think these 1 year videos are quite bad examples of how to learn. It is not how I, or I expect most of pianoworldforum, was taught to play. I think you end up learning lots of bad habits if you rush. I think it is more impressive to learn pieces properly and work up slowly. Had I asked any of my teacher to teach me Clair du Lune after a year they would look at me as if I was from the moon! It think it is better to develop slowly and learn to play pieces better. I think in the long run it is better to be a tortoise.

Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Tom97] #2871322
07/21/19 11:08 PM
07/21/19 11:08 PM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
The time taken to learn a piece at an advanced level can mean a person has learned to do the right things with very few retries. If you play a piece that require very difficult fingerings, using awkward finger sequences and not playing with your muscle relaxed wouldn't get you to your goal.

Some people say it takes time to do everything properly. On the flip side of the coin, you can also say that people who take a lot of time to learn something keep repeating the same mistakes. A lot of demo videos available are online. A lot depends on how well people can follow the techniques of professionals & advanced players. Like learning a foreign language. If you don't make mistakes, you'd never learn. And then there is the fear that doing something wrong would become habitual.

People who gets into Hanon exercises and Czerny exercises early on can go further than those who started with simple beginner pieces and work up at a more gradual pace. There are people on both sides of the debate. A lot of people learn a foreign language. There are those who follow a simple phrase book and try to move up at a gradual pace. After a few years they are able to say a few easy phrases "Hello, how are you" and "Thank you" but nothing close to carrying out a real conversation. Sometimes pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone a little bit can get you further ahead in the long run. You can get yourself to listen to a news broadcast in the first year even if you don't understand every word / phrase.

I am not saying everybody should push themselves to play a Chopin Nocturne within 6 months starting with 0 playing experience. On the other hand, I don't believe staying in your comfort zone all the time would benefit your progress. You need to find the right balance that would work for you.

Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Tom97] #2871339
07/22/19 12:44 AM
07/22/19 12:44 AM
Sweden
Animisha Online content
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by Tom97
What are your thoughts on this?

The title of your thread is "Motivation for adult beginners". Personally, I don't get any motivation if I start comparing myself and my progress with other adults. Quite the opposite actually.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Tom97] #2871351
07/22/19 01:59 AM
07/22/19 01:59 AM
Europe
JoeT Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoeT  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Europe

If I am not mistaken, he is about 31. Obviously very talented, passionate and hard working.

The only thing I noticed is that he has huge hands.

Yamaha P-515 | Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7506
Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Tom97] #2871354
07/22/19 02:23 AM
07/22/19 02:23 AM
V
Veve87 Offline
Veve87  Offline
V

I'm just an absolute beginner but watching those videos doesn't motivate me because they don't seem realistic to me. I prefer watching and hearing about people describing realistic progress. Just like with fast weight loss. It's not realistic and it harms you in the long run. Both physically and mentally. I hate competition and comparing myself to others.

Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: dogperson] #2871359
07/22/19 02:47 AM
07/22/19 02:47 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

1000 Post Club Member

Italy
Originally Posted by dogperson
The goal is to play beautiful music in a beautiful way, irrespective of the difficulty of the music. And there is beautiful music at every level! Patience in mindful practice and developing skills is so important

This is very well said! Excellent advice.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW (U1)
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://youtube.com/sinophilia
Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Tom97] #2871424
07/22/19 09:35 AM
07/22/19 09:35 AM
Central PA
S
spartan928 Offline
spartan928  Offline
S

Central PA
I think if you get some motivation from these videos that's great. I'm 52 and can't imagine progressing at this speed so kudos to him. I used to watch videos like this as they are all over Youtube, but I'm not sure how this helps encourage beginning students because it's way beyond the norm. I ended up frustrated watching these 1 year progress videos because I can't compare myself to that and feel good about my own progress. Sure it's cool, but I have to focus on my own small gains to feel motivated because it'll take me years to reach what this guy seems to have done in one.

Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Tom97] #2871431
07/22/19 09:38 AM
07/22/19 09:38 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

I found a better video. 10 years piano progress.

https://youtu.be/jJji9AaFsok

Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Moo :)] #2871437
07/22/19 10:01 AM
07/22/19 10:01 AM
Czech Republic
T
Tom97 Online content OP
Tom97  Online Content OP
T

Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Moo :)

Nice, but she started as a kid -> doesn´t count laugh

Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Tom97] #2871440
07/22/19 10:13 AM
07/22/19 10:13 AM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
I feel like this is an ad for someone's channel. The motivation should come from within.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Tom97] #2871444
07/22/19 10:23 AM
07/22/19 10:23 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by Moo :)

Nice, but she started as a kid -> doesn´t count laugh

Much more realistic for progress, whether adult or child. And her early efforts are musical, where the results of the 20 year old at 11 months are not. Kids have patience; adults often think they can rush through because they are an adult. (Not true). We need to find the patience of the child.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Tom97] #2871511
07/22/19 03:11 PM
07/22/19 03:11 PM
Tennessee
C
Chili_Time Offline
Chili_Time  Offline
C

Tennessee
I am probably an outlier, but I am motivated by the enjoyment of learning and playing music. I enjoyed learning and getting a check-mark from my teacher for “Row Row Row Your Boat” because I was making the music myself. I’d never listen to that song on a streaming play list but making that music myself was motivating to me. Then we moved on to the next piece. Now I’ll admit I enjoy playing some pieces more than others, but I don’t ever hate a piece. I may hate a piece at first because it is hard, and I can’t play it. With teacher’s help I eventually get decent at it and then I begin to love the piece. I do love some pieces than others.

People who are never going to be very good at golf keep playing every week. They tell me it is because of the feeling they get from that one perfectly struck shot or making a par on a hard hole. I can relate to that. When I play a piece well it is a huge rush of enjoyment. I’ll never be very good at piano, but I sure do enjoy the experience of making music. It’s hard to explain I guess but that’s what motivates me.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 07/22/19 03:12 PM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3a. Yamaha P-115. I play a little bass guitar also.
[Linked Image]
Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: thepianoplayer416] #2871516
07/22/19 03:31 PM
07/22/19 03:31 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
......People who gets into Hanon exercises and Czerny exercises early on can go further than those who started with simple beginner pieces and work up at a more gradual pace. ............
Hmmm, I don't believe this has any basis in actual data or even general opinion, and could steer some newcomers in a very mis-guided direction.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Chili_Time] #2871555
07/22/19 04:47 PM
07/22/19 04:47 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline

Progman  Offline

P

Southeast USA
Originally Posted by Chili_Time
I am probably an outlier, but I am motivated by the enjoyment of learning and playing music. I enjoyed learning and getting a check-mark from my teacher for “Row Row Row Your Boat” because I was making the music myself. I’d never listen to that song on a streaming play list but making that music myself was motivating to me. Then we moved on to the next piece. Now I’ll admit I enjoy playing some pieces more than others, but I don’t ever hate a piece. I may hate a piece at first because it is hard, and I can’t play it. With teacher’s help I eventually get decent at it and then I begin to love the piece. I do love some pieces than others.

People who are never going to be very good at golf keep playing every week. They tell me it is because of the feeling they get from that one perfectly struck shot or making a par on a hard hole. I can relate to that. When I play a piece well it is a huge rush of enjoyment. I’ll never be very good at piano, but I sure do enjoy the experience of making music. It’s hard to explain I guess but that’s what motivates me.

This is me too - I started from scratch at 59. I had only played digitals, and never expected the feeling of an acoustic piano. All these vibrations and rich tones that are created!! I can be happy just playing "Happy Birthday to You".

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Tom97] #2871573
07/22/19 05:21 PM
07/22/19 05:21 PM
Niagara Falls NY
ebonykawai Offline
500 Post Club Member
ebonykawai  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Niagara Falls NY
I honestly don't believe ANY Youtube "One Year" claims like this. Sorry, no, this is just not genuine nor realistic. For 99% of people, children and adult, learning piano takes years of regular practice, starting with easy pieces and gradually moving on to more complex pieces. Even if those were the only pieces he played in that year to 18 months, it's still not believable to me. Not by a long shot.

Lisa

Currently working on Bach 2 part inventions, Chopin mazurkas, and some Keith Snell Level 5 stuffs, lol. smile
Kawai UST-9, Yamaha CLP565GP, Kawai KDP110

"Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer, and pour out my despair at the piano!" - Frederic Chopin
Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: Tom97] #2871585
07/22/19 06:35 PM
07/22/19 06:35 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

Why dont you believe it ? I could understand if the pieces were polished but they clearly are not. The piece choices are very poor for the ability. Watching Chopin's Op.25 No.1 Etude made me feel quite sad. Setting himself up to fail I think frown

Re: Motivation for adult beginners [Re: ebonykawai] #2871606
07/22/19 07:56 PM
07/22/19 07:56 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by ebonykawai
I honestly don't believe ANY Youtube "One Year" claims like this. Sorry, no, this is just not genuine nor realistic. For 99% of people, children and adult, learning piano takes years of regular practice, starting with easy pieces and gradually moving on to more complex pieces. Even if those were the only pieces he played in that year to 18 months, it's still not believable to me. Not by a long shot.

I believe it and it is possible in my opinion. As Moo said, the pieces are not polished at all. But it is interesting to see what a person can accomplish by trying hard.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Long Distance Piano Moving
by jojousa. 08/22/19 10:20 PM
A Scale Per Day or Per Week or Per...
by writebynight. 08/22/19 10:13 PM
1998 C1 vs. 2016 CG1
by inna_denver. 08/22/19 07:21 PM
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,681
Posts2,861,685
Members94,222
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission