2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 5 invisible), 1,304 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
K
Originally Posted by nutellaphant
Seemingly going to get a CA58 for $2350 + tax, free shipping, bench included!

Is this the "other" dealer in NJ that has the floor model? or the dealer you already have few counter offers?

N
OP Offline
N
Online dealer that came through with a last minute counter after I told them I wanted them to beat the lowest offers I'd gotten elsewhere:

NJ place offered $2500 for a Satin Black floor model on the CA58. Their delivery service wanted $400 to bring it to my apartment, no negotiations or leaving it on the ground floor.

CT place offered $2675 for a new Rosewood (includes $150 for shipping to the ground floor in a box.) Bringing it to my apartment would be another $150 and assembly would be $50 on top of that.

Roland HP605 dealer wouldn't budge on the $2700 for the floor model, but it includes shipping to my apartment. Comes with a full warranty and they sent pictures/a video of it being played since I can't visit myself.

Online shop is $2560 after tax but same scenario as the CT place in terms of having to carry it up the stairs myself.

So I now have to decide if I want the brand new CA58 for $2560 (that I have to carry up myself & assemble), or the floor model HP605 for $2700 (that would be delivered into my apartment.)

N
OP Offline
N
Actually the HP605 just went down to $2650. Now it's a tough call!!

K
K
They are all within $200-$300, i say pick the one you like CA or the HP, don't worry much about price grin

Which one do you like more?

N
OP Offline
N
I'm just not sure! I liked them both a lot. I've been going between GFC and PHA-50 action and could never decide, sound is great on either one.

On the Roland, I really like that you can "hide" the panel when you don't want people to see it. I like the music stand too since it has clips to hold your music back.

On the Kawai, I like how easy the controls are to use and the color of the Rosewood is attractive.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Flip a coin? wink

I don't think you can lose either way.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Flip a coin? wink

I don't think you can lose either way.

Ha! I'm about at that point.

Ended up going to Sam Ash to try their 605 and CA48 again for the closest comparison I can get quickly, and brought my headphones.

I ended up discovering a weird "quirk" on the HP605 - it almost feels like there's a delay occasionally when I play a note. Not always, not all keys... it also felt like I couldn't get the same dynamics I was getting on the CA48, but I did slightly prefer the action/sounds. I can't tell if this is just an issue with the one floor model, I didn't notice this issue previously.

On the CA48, with some of the sounds on the higher keys it felt like the same pressure I used for the lower keys would emit a horribly loud sound that hurt my ears. However, I know I didn't notice this on the CA58 when I played so maybe it has to do with the sounds specifically on the CA48?? I felt like I could get the appropriate dynamics, though.

L
L
I'm in a very similar situation and budget (up to $2500), also in NYC.

I started my quest hearing good things about the CLP625, but when I tried it at Faust Harrison I was disappointed with the action. They have real grand pianos on the floor there and even an amateur like me can tell that the action on the real thing is much, much lighter than on the Clavinovas. I'm not sure this is me being naive since some people argue that you should practice on a harder action to develop finger strength and precision. But I really didn't see myself enjoying playing on a Yamaha "clunky" action.

Then I discovered Kawai, and felt much better about the action when I tried it. It was almost an "ah-ha" moment to me. I was about to close on a CA48 on Sam Ash, but then came my plot twist:

A good friend of mine got a job at MoMa and said they can get me a Roland Kiyola, (which has an exclusive japanese cabinet design and Roland's PH-50 action) for 50% the price with their employee discount, which gets it at exactly 2500.

Now I'm struggling between the C48 full-price and the Kiyola half-price, and honestly can't get my head around which deal is better. I've heard people say the Kyiola is 5-year old technology packed into a nice cabinet, but I also hear that Roland's modeling and action are great.

No idea what to do now lol! Help needed!

Last edited by lucasn; 07/20/19 10:32 AM.
N
OP Offline
N
Dang!! I would have loved a Kiyola, it's so beautiful, but it's super expensive for what it is and the freestanding pedals bother me. Great price on that with the discount.

Have you tried the HP605 at Sam Ash? The Kiyola action will be like that, but not sure about the sound. I honestly was a huuuge fan of the HP605.... if you're interested, I could put you in touch with the vendor who was willing to sell the floor model for $2650 tax/shipping included. If you're in an elevator building or ground floor unit you could probably get a better deal. It'd be a "better" piano than the Kiyola in about every way, if not as "aesthetic." I'm still sad I won't be getting the 605, even if I'm happy with the CA58 decision.

The CA48 should be ~2k or less including tax/shipping if you negotiate well anyway. I got my CA58 for $2500 tax/shipping included, for what it's worth (though I did have to pay some Taskrabbit guys to bring it up to my 4th floor apartment yesterday, ha! Only $90 though.) I'd probably take the Kiyola over the CA48, but not over a CA58 or HP605.

Do you like the sound and touch of the Kiyola?
Do you like the look of it?
Originally Posted by lucasn
A good friend of mine got a job at MoMa and said they can get me a Roland Kiyola, (which has an exclusive japanese cabinet design and Roland's PH-50 action) for 50% the price with their employee discount, which gets it at exactly 2500.

Now I'm struggling between the C48 full-price and the Kiyola half-price, and honestly can't get my head around which deal is better. I've heard people say the Kyiola is 5-year old technology packed into a nice cabinet, but I also hear that Roland's modeling and action are great.
I think you really need to buy the piano you like.
I find the Kiyola ugly and cheap looking. If it's offered at MoMa it's more about modern art than it is about pianism. So the 50% off means little to me.

Keep in mind that you can get 30% off of list price on just about any piano.
Also remember that you don't pay in percentages. You pay in dollars.

So choose the piano whose touch, sound, and price are appealing. Don't be side-tracked by glitz, or exclusivity.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Also remember that you don't pay in percentages. You pay in dollars.

Adding this to the collection of favorite quotes!

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission