Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
58 registered members (Animisha, Aurele27, AlphaBravoCharlie, Balezin Dmitry, Alex Hutor, 13 invisible), 1,109 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured #2870612
07/19/19 12:03 PM
07/19/19 12:03 PM
B
Brian Sweeney Offline OP
Brian Sweeney  Offline OP
B

I've only been playing a short time and was pretty badly injured after about a year of frenetic practicing. Been to lots of tests and had surgery on one hand `which didn't do anything but I started studying with Andrew Kraus via the web who teaches in DC and I'm getting some relief. Apparently my technique sucked. Andrew teaches and studied with a method by German pedagogue Peter Feuchtwanger who has a book called "Piano Exercises for curing playing related disorders and for acquiring a functional and natural approach to piano playing.

The book and DVD is available here:

http://www.peter-feuchtwanger.de/english-version/index.html

Kudos to Andrew. You can contact him here: https://www.facebook.com/AndrewKraus.Pianist

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Brian Sweeney] #2870617
07/19/19 12:12 PM
07/19/19 12:12 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Andrew is indeed a very nice person, and a great pianists! I've watched some of his videos and exchanged a few PMs with him.

Glad he could help you with your piano-playing related injury. Playing the piano should be a fun and enjoyable experience, without pain or difficulty. Of course, I rarely play a song/piece/arrangement, or whatever you want to call it, without hitting a few wrong notes. Who was it that said "there is no such thing as a wrong note"? smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Brian Sweeney] #2870763
07/19/19 09:20 PM
07/19/19 09:20 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
I suddenly realised who Andrew Kraus is ?
It is our member by the name of Seeker He was writing about Steingraeber pianos.I can hardly believe it was
that very nice and humble man who sent me
a PM !

Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Brian Sweeney] #2870866
07/20/19 09:09 AM
07/20/19 09:09 AM
Philadelphia/South Jersey
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber

Philadelphia/South Jersey
Bravo Brian! Andrew is a fine artist, has a wonderful reputation, and I pleased to know him.

Thank you for making this post as Andrew is the type to never speak about himself and he deserves recognition here.

Cheers!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Rickster] #2870867
07/20/19 09:13 AM
07/20/19 09:13 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by Rickster
Andrew is indeed a very nice person, and a great pianists! I've watched some of his videos and exchanged a few PMs with him.

Glad he could help you with your piano-playing related injury. Playing the piano should be a fun and enjoyable experience, without pain or difficulty. Of course, I rarely play a song/piece/arrangement, or whatever you want to call it, without hitting a few wrong notes. Who was it that said "there is no such thing as a wrong note"? smile

Rick

I think the saying goes something like “I play all the right notes but at the wrong time “

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Brian Sweeney] #2870879
07/20/19 10:35 AM
07/20/19 10:35 AM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
Thank you Brian Sweeney and Andrew (aka Seeker). Piano hand and arm injuries to people trying so hard to learn is really pretty devastating.
I was blessed my Mother sent me to pianos lesson back in the Bronze Age. I was taught proper finger hand and arm technique when I was young and limber. For folks who learn as adults, some will practice a piece or small part of the piece over and over and over hours on end. And suddenly they’re in pain from a repetitive injury. I learned technique from 8 to 14 years old and I’m too easily bored and horrifically lazy. I can’t stand to repeat sections more than 3 times over.
So everyone, especially noobs, take breaks and use proper piano technique. It’s tough playing and practicing in pain.

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Brian Sweeney] #2870902
07/20/19 12:23 PM
07/20/19 12:23 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Many concert pianists end up with injuries too .
I know an orchestral symphonic flute player who
injured his hand from practising. He developed numb
fingers.
After months off from the flute his hand recovered.
I suppose one can imagine practising for hours every
day.Perhaps they then work with people like Andrew.

Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Lady Bird] #2870932
07/20/19 02:41 PM
07/20/19 02:41 PM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
fingers.

Absolutely correct. Young piano prodigies and talented piano students will train like Olympic athletes. Dedicated warm up exercises and cool down sessions. Unfortunately when touring and performing. concert artists tire from traveling and end up with painful injuries.
My piano teacher (in heaven) is laughing at the thought of me getting a hand injury from too much practice.

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Brian Sweeney] #2870961
07/20/19 03:43 PM
07/20/19 03:43 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by j&j
Absolutely correct. Young piano prodigies and talented piano students will train like Olympic athletes. Dedicated warm up exercises and cool down sessions. Unfortunately when touring and performing. concert artists tire from traveling and end up with painful injuries.
My piano teacher (in heaven) is laughing at the thought of me getting a hand injury from too much practice.

Saw a YT video of Jerry Lee Lewis with one of those orthopedic hand braces on his left hand and wrist. I can only imagine why he was wearing it. smile

I play my pianos hard and fast, and have never experienced any pain or discomfort in my hands or fingers. But after a hard workout of some fast boogie-woogie and blues, the muscles in my fingers will be just a tad sore the next morning. But by noon, and a few cups of coffee, I'm ready for another round of hard and fast pounding. smile

I probably need a few piano lessons from Andrew...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Rickster] #2870972
07/20/19 04:18 PM
07/20/19 04:18 PM
B
Brian Sweeney Offline OP
Brian Sweeney  Offline OP
B

Definitely take lessons from him, he is an extremely good teacher and doesn't judge me for being a beginner and he's a hellava good guy.

Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Brian Sweeney] #2870983
07/20/19 04:55 PM
07/20/19 04:55 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Brian Sweeney
Definitely take lessons from him, he is an extremely good teacher and doesn't judge me for being a beginner and he's a hellava good guy.
I've never judged or criticized a beginner for being a beginner, and enjoy hearing beginner's play. Fact is, I consider myself to be not much more than a beginner when it comes to playing a piano. smile

But what I have found a bit strange, is when someone brags about how well they can play, and then when I actually get to hear them, I'm sorely disappointed. Hence, I've learned that humility, along with a good dose of reality is good medicine. smile

Rick

Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Brian Sweeney] #2871003
07/20/19 06:10 PM
07/20/19 06:10 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline
Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
I feel so lucky to have a teacher who questions me about my warmup routine every single week. She asks me to demonstrate how I am doing my exercises, scales, arps, etc., and she observes closely and often fine-tunes my technique. I started learning at age almost-64, and injury would really slow me down. Careful attention to warm-up is crucial. If I skip it, I know I risk aching hands and arms...

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Brian Sweeney] #2871020
07/20/19 07:23 PM
07/20/19 07:23 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

4000 Post Club Member

🎹
Seeker's posts are usually interesting.

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Rickster] #2871027
07/20/19 07:44 PM
07/20/19 07:44 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Brian Sweeney
I've never judged or criticized a beginner for being a beginner, and enjoy hearing beginner's play. Fact is, I consider myself to be not much more than a beginner when it comes to playing a piano. smile

But what I have found a bit strange, is when someone brags about how well they can play, and then when I actually get to hear them, I'm sorely disappointed. Hence, I've learned that humility, along with a good dose of reality is good medicine. smile

Rick

If Rick is "not much more than a beginner", there is NO hope for me, LOL...

[Linked Image]
Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Brian Sweeney] #2871040
07/20/19 08:28 PM
07/20/19 08:28 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

NobleHouse, thank you so much for your kind words!

However, yes, there is certainly hope for you, and then some. smile

I do enjoy my meager piano playing, but even more, I highly respect anyone who dedicates themselves to learning to play the piano, regardless of their abilities. As for my piano playing abilities, it is in a constant state of "needs improvement". smile

All the best!

Rick

Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Rickster] #2871047
07/20/19 08:58 PM
07/20/19 08:58 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver

I do enjoy my meager piano playing, but even more, I highly respect anyone who dedicates themselves to learning to play the piano, regardless of their abilities. As for my piano playing abilities, it is in a constant state of "needs improvement". smile

All the best!

Rick

Rickster ,NobleHouse was complimenting you on your
playing! I feel you also play very well too! You may play
different music to me but still !

Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Brian Sweeney] #2871051
07/20/19 09:12 PM
07/20/19 09:12 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Rickster ,NobleHouse was complimenting you on your
playing! I feel you also play very well too! You may play
different music to me but still !
Hi Lady Bird. Yes, I knew NobleHouse was complimenting me on my piano playing, and thank you as well, for your compliment! I'm not quite sure how to respond when others compliment me on my piano playing, except to say thank you! smile

My style of playing is different, for sure.

And, I didn't mean to horn-in on Brian Sweeney's thread here, but sometimes it just works that way.

Andrew Kraus is the man of the hour, and a great pianist! smile

Rick

Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Brian Sweeney] #2871057
07/20/19 09:35 PM
07/20/19 09:35 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
I think he would would enjoy reading these posts!
I enjoyed reading bits from the link (sections from the book )and read about the wonderful pianist Angela Haskell and her escape during WW2. Really quite thrilling and also about Andrew's teacher.Now I wish I
could at the moment buy the book !!!

Last edited by Lady Bird; 07/20/19 09:36 PM. Reason: Missing word
Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Lady Bird] #2871137
07/21/19 08:22 AM
07/21/19 08:22 AM
Rockville, MD
Seeker Offline
500 Post Club Member
Seeker  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rockville, MD
fingers.

FYI - you might want to do a web search for "Body Mapping" and "Body Mapping for Musicians". I use some of what I have learned about this from various sources including this book: https://www.amazon.com/What-Every-P...&hvtargid=pla-454800780421&psc=1 in my own teaching. I find two things of general use: knowing where the bottom of the first joint where the finger meets the palm (many people see/feel it further towards the tip of the finger than it actually is), and several pictures of "balanced sitting".

Regarding Peter Feuchtwanger and his teaching - he was, for the most part, not only an auto-didact but a full on genius. Most of what he later taught to his students came from his own, "natural", untutored, way of playing the piano. So... Feuchtwanger is not Body Mapping; Feuchtwanger is not Alexander; Feuchtwanger is not QiGong, nor Yoga, but something different that offers a way to play the piano effectively, ultimately without pain or strain. That said, much of what is "Feuchtwanger" shares, at its roots, principles that can be found in the aforementioned disciplines and studies.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Re: Resounding Applause for Andrew Kraus-Hope for Injured [Re: Rickster] #2871165
07/21/19 11:48 AM
07/21/19 11:48 AM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest

All the best!

Rick

Rick - you know a great deal about pianos and your videos are really popular! If your playing is meager, mine is utterly mediocre and meager. But as Frank Baxter tells us, playing the piano is fun. And I’ll add the familiar saying of “Amaze your family and friends. Learn to play the latest show tunes.” grin

And what’s weird is that all the jocks that made fun of us are seriously envious. Musicians are always cool. And if your friends doubt it start wearing sunglasses in the house. 😁

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Long Distance Piano Moving
by jojousa. 08/22/19 10:20 PM
A Scale Per Day or Per Week or Per...
by writebynight. 08/22/19 10:13 PM
1998 C1 vs. 2016 CG1
by inna_denver. 08/22/19 07:21 PM
What's Hot!!
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,681
Posts2,861,685
Members94,222
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission