2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
38 members (earlofmar, Chernobieff Piano, dhull100, Chewbacca, FrankCox, ee375, David Lai, Dore, 8 invisible), 478 guests, and 410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kawai Bluetooth MIDI and Windows?
#2869861 07/16/19 02:50 PM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi, I tried to connect a Windows 10 notebook to my CN37 digital piano via bluetooth... The CN37 is listed in the bluetooth devices my PC see, so I tried to connect it to the CN37... It appears to connect, but then no software see the DP. I read on various forum that to make other software (like DAWs) to see a BT device as a midi device, after you connect it via bluetooth, I should install an app: MidiBerry (and Loopmidi to create a virtual midi port). Ok, done. The problem is: MidiBerry doesn't see my bluetooth connected CN37.

I thought there could be some problem with the DP, so I begin to download various apps on my Android device and then connected the CN37 to my smartphone via bluetooth. After a little struggling, I managed to make one of those apps (a low quality virtual piano) work (but I had to install first "Bluetooth MIDI Connect" app, that detects the DP and then makes the other apps see it). Now I can play from the CN37 keyboard and the smartphone app generates the sound. So the bluetooth on my CN37 works... That's good!

Bluetooth midi could be nice to make a software on Windows (maybe Linux too) to change the piano settings or to intercept the keys you are pressing for a piano learning application, without having to use midi or usb cables.

Now, the first question is: has anyone managed to connect via bluetooth a Kawai digital piano (with BT function) to a Windows PC? If the answer is no because Kawai doesn't support yet bluetooth Midi on Windows, the second question arises: when they will support it?

And, BTW, I have to say that it's not very nice that doesn't exist yet a Virtual Technician app for Android. I feel like I was discriminated against.

So, Kawai, if you hear me, please, make a Virtual Technician app for Android too. I believe that I am not the only one who would like to have it. AFAIK, Yamaha, Roland and Casio make apps for Android too...

Re: Kawai Bluetooth MIDI and Windows?
magicpiano #2869938 07/16/19 08:14 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hello magicpiano,

Kawai does not provide support for Bluetooth MIDI on Windows 10, partly because the connectivity infrastructure is less mature than other platforms - in particular iOS and macOS.

I don't believe there is any reason for Kawai's Bluetooth MIDI implementation *not* to work under Windows 10, it's just not something that Kawai supports.

Regarding an Android version of the Virtual Technician app, I am of course aware of this request (I am an Android user myself - LineageOS FTW!), so will pass on your feedback to the app development team.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
magicpiano #2870022 07/17/19 07:40 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you James for your support.

However, according this article from 2016 on the Windows Developers Blog, Windows 10 (since the Anniversary Update edition - ending 2016) should be perfectly capable of detecting Bluetooth LE connected MIDI devices. Unfortunately this is not the case with my CN37.

Honestly, I'm very surprised (and disappointed) that Kawai fully supports only Apple devices, and that's very strange to me, being that, at least in Europe, Windows and Android systems are the most common and widespread.

magicpiano #2886308 09/02/19 04:26 PM
Same case with me a android user.
I have DP kawai es 110 and want to adjusted the Piano by app in my android tablet-phone(4page about hotkey is nightmare for me).
I dont want buy ipad cause I dont want waste money for what I dont want.
In asia we have android user > ios user so pls build app for android frown.

I work in a data analyst position.
I started learning about the piano in 2019.
Kawai ES110 & Ipad gen 6

magicpiano #2886365 09/02/19 08:06 PM
Online Content
Hello begin ẻ,

May I ask which Android device you are using, and which OS it is running?

As I mentioned in this thread, Android 6 supports MIDI natively, however this does not necessarily mean that the device manufacturer will include this functionality in the OS that is built for the device. Even if the Virtual Technician app was available for Android, there is no guarantee that it would work on your device, unfortunately. This is perhaps why iOS is a much more popular platform, especially among music creators and MIDI enthusiasts.

With that said, I recall an ES110 customer who was able to change sounds from a Bluetooth connected Android device, by sending MIDI Program Change numbers using a simple MIDI app, so I know that the basically functionality works - provided the device supports it.

Kind regards,
James
x

Kawai James #2886422 09/03/19 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello begin ẻ,

May I ask which Android device you are using, and which OS it is running?

As I mentioned in this thread, Android 6 supports MIDI natively, however this does not necessarily mean that the device manufacturer will include this functionality in the OS that is built for the device. Even if the Virtual Technician by app was available for Android, there is no guarantee that it would work on your device, unfortunately. This is perhaps why iOS is a much more popular platform, especially among music creators and MIDI enthusiasts.

With that said, I recall an ES110 customer who was able to change sounds from a Bluetooth connected Android device, by sending MIDI Program Change numbers using a simple MIDI app, so I know that the basically functionality works - provided the device supports it.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thank you ,Now I understand why Virtual Technician for android haven't exist yet .
I'm using xiaomi phone Mi 8 SE which using MIUI OS ( base on Android 9 ) and xiaomi tablet Mipad 4 using Miui 10(base on android 8.1)

I work in a data analyst position.
I started learning about the piano in 2019.
Kawai ES110 & Ipad gen 6

magicpiano #2886460 09/03/19 04:43 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Before Android 6 I would understand why Kawai didn't support Android, but the eventuality that some rare device equipped with Android version >= 6 doesn't support the feature should not be a good reason to not develop the Virtual Technician app for Android too... Bluetooth MIDI works well on my 2015 Android 6 device (BTW, a device that was born with Android 5 and then I updated to Android 6). And I can connect the device with an USB cable too, it has not to be necessarily a bluetooth connection...

Anyway, I have a Windows tablet connected to my CN37 by USB cable (I use it for some VST). It would be nice to have a little Windows program to make the same changes I can do in the LCD display of the piano, directly on my Windows touch-screen tablet. Navigating the options in the DP interface on the LCD display is a little uncomfortable, and its position to the far left of the piano keyboard is not helping...

magicpiano #2886469 09/03/19 05:25 AM
Online Content
magicpiano, which Android device do you use?

Kawai James #2886483 09/03/19 07:15 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
magicpiano, which Android device do you use?

Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai means cute and adorable
by Fleer - 05/26/20 06:12 PM
What happened to the 'real' Feurich?
by williambonard - 05/26/20 03:51 PM
An easier arrangement of Bach 639
by Chordo24 - 05/26/20 01:54 PM
Tuning book from 1860
by Craig Hair - 05/26/20 01:01 PM
So here’s an odd piano for sale.
by jakedaniel - 05/26/20 11:51 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,202
Posts2,962,513
Members97,191
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission