2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2869748 07/16/19 07:10 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Greetings, fellow piano lovers,

I have been practicing on Casio CDP-130 (from zero experience) for almost two years and although I definitely haven't reached my ceiling with it yet, I am (as well as people around) getting a bit tired of the keyboard noise and also would like to "take my playing to the next level"... So I really like Yamaha YDP 164 on the paper, i.e. I like the brand, the solidness of the key mechanism and the sound features (can live without extra features), but there may be downsides (apart from the cost), for eg. one user in the rewiew stated "a bit heavy and a bit noisy keys". Of course I went to the music store and actually tried to play it, but either I was too excited or not used to the heavier keys - it didn't went well and even the sound didn't seem that good (planning another visit soon for more tests - especially with the noise). Anyway, as a result I thought I still want it - because the sooner I get it, the sooner I will be able to master it. laugh

So my question is primarily to those who already have made their choice and bought this instrument - does anybody feel any regret (sometimes you do the purchase only to realize it was wrong because of something, for example - the benefits don't cost as much and other models are basically the same). But any other kinds of opinion are welcome!

Anton

From what I can tell, generally Kawai and Roland are thought to have better key action in that price range. Have you tried either of them?

I'm enjoying my YDP-163 (previous model) for 4 months now. I switched from Casio PX-350 after I got shoulder (nerve) injury that my therapist thinks may relate to light action of Casio, specifically sudden drop.

Back to Yamaha YDP-164. It's a solid choice and probably comparable in action to P-515, although maybe P-515 is a better choice based on reviews and because it has wooden keys. It was just simply not available to me in my price range.

I don't think action of YDP-164 is too heavy at all, but possibly little "slow". I have opportunity to play on couple of grand pianos on regular basis and I don't have any issue with switching to them from Arius. Action on my teachers Clavinova is actually little heavier, but again, no issues there. So, it's mostly matter of personal choice. I tried so many different pianos including Roland and Kawai, but overall ultimately decided on GH3 action of Yamaha.

The only issue that recently developed is annoying clicking of sustain pedal. I'm considering using warranty service for that.

initK #2869940 07/16/19 08:28 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by initK
The only issue that recently developed is annoying clicking of sustain pedal. I'm considering using warranty service for that.

Natasha, I expect you've done this already, but just in case...
The YDP-164 likely has an adjustable bolt underneath the pedal board to provide support when the pedals are pressed. If the bolt is not properly extended (by rotating clockwise...I think?), and making full contact with the floor, you may find that the pedal board will creak when the pedals are played.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Hello Anton, welcome to the forum.

The YDP-164 is very good digital piano, and should be a nice upgrade to your current Casio CDP-130.

Even if you didn't enjoy the action or sound on your initial visit to the store, I would certainly recommend returning for another try. It might also be worthwhile to play-test the same Yamaha model in another store, as the position/placement of the instrument can greatly influence its sound.

As Maconi notes, Kawai and Roland also produce similar instruments to the YDP-164 for around the same price, so I strongly recommend that you play-test as many pianos as possible before making your decision.

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
initK #2870013 07/17/19 06:56 AM
A
OP Offline
A
I'm enjoying my YDP-163 (previous model) for 4 months now. I switched from Casio PX-350 after I got shoulder (nerve) injury that my therapist thinks may relate to light action of Casio, specifically sudden drop.

Back to Yamaha YDP-164. It's a solid choice and probably comparable in action to P-515, although maybe P-515 is a better choice based on reviews and because it has wooden keys. It was just simply not available to me in my price range.

I don't think action of YDP-164 is too heavy at all, but possibly little "slow". I have opportunity to play on couple of grand pianos on regular basis and I don't have any issue with switching to them from Arius. Action on my teachers Clavinova is actually little heavier, but again, no issues there. So, it's mostly matter of personal choice. I tried so many different pianos including Roland and Kawai, but overall ultimately decided on GH3 action of Yamaha.

Natasha, thank you very much for your review - it's very nice to get your positive opinion and especially helpful to hear about easy switching between Arius and grand pianos! I'm also glad to hear that Yamaha's key action may be beneficial for such sort of injury, and I hope it never bothers you again.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Maconi
From what I can tell, generally Kawai and Roland are thought to have better key action in that price range. Have you tried either of them?

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Anton, welcome to the forum.

The YDP-164 is very good digital piano, and should be a nice upgrade to your current Casio CDP-130.

Even if you didn't enjoy the action or sound on your initial visit to the store, I would certainly recommend returning for another try. It might also be worthwhile to play-test the same Yamaha model in another store, as the position/placement of the instrument can greatly influence its sound.

As Maconi notes, Kawai and Roland also produce similar instruments to the YDP-164 for around the same price, so I strongly recommend that you play-test as many pianos as possible before making your decision.

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x

Maconi and James, thank you for your responses! I hope to be able to touch some of the alternatives (such as Kawai Kpd-110 and Roland F-140 which are in my price-range and form factor list) especially noting the noise each one's keyboard produces.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Avalanch
Of course I went to the music store and actually tried to play it, but either I was too excited or not used to the heavier keys - it didn't went well and even the sound didn't seem that good (planning another visit soon for more tests - especially with the noise). Anyway, as a result I thought I still want it - because the sooner I get it, the sooner I will be able to master it. laugh

So my question is primarily to those who already have made their choice and bought this instrument - does anybody feel any regret (sometimes you do the purchase only to realize it was wrong because of something, for example - the benefits don't cost as much and other models are basically the same). But any other kinds of opinion are welcome!

Hi Anton,

You are doing the right thing to go back and keep trying it, at least do as many trips until you feel yes this is the action I want to play now and for the foreseeable future (because short of selling the DP there is no way to change the action), if in doubt, I would recommend you look elsewhere (even if it means stopping the current purchase to save up and get something that is more expensive and you do really like it).

I used to have the YDP-163 and at the time, I found the GH3 action a bit too heavy and too sluggish I could not practice more than an hr on it before my hands got tired. I sold it and went with a Roland HP605 which has a lighter action (at least on the initial resistance which I like and many grand piano keys dip ever so gently when pressed on - even more so when using the sustain pedal).

Other than the other makes you have been recommended already on (e.g. Kawai/Roland) I'd say to try the Yamaha CLP645 which has an upgraded action over the GH3, the NWX. IMO it feels less heavy than the GH3 but heavier than my HP605s action (PHA50). For the extra cost, you will find better action, sound and amplification if I am not mistaken.

Either way good luck trying them out and finding the one you like the most.

Originally Posted by Kawai James

Natasha, I expect you've done this already, but just in case...
The YDP-164 likely has an adjustable bolt underneath the pedal board to provide support when the pedals are pressed. If the bolt is not properly extended (by rotating clockwise...I think?), and making full contact with the floor, you may find that the pedal board will creak when the pedals are played.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thank you! you are right, the bolt is adjusted all the way down and we even placed piece of the plywood under it to provide more rigid support. We found the source of the clicking yesterday. My husband took pedal unit completely off and discovered the the spring under sustain pedal is kind of "sliding out" of fully being under, so it's being gradually pushing out towards the person who plays piano. So, the fix is - when it starts clicking again, it is enough to push it away from myself to be once again fully under the part of the pedal that pushes it down. It was making hard clicking sound and now - blessing - it's all good!

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by jamiecw
Of course I went to the music store and actually tried to play it, but either I was too excited or not used to the heavier keys - it didn't went well and even the sound didn't seem that good (planning another visit soon for more tests - especially with the noise). Anyway, as a result I thought I still want it - because the sooner I get it, the sooner I will be able to master it. laugh

Hi Anton,

You are doing the right thing to go back and keep trying it, at least do as many trips until you feel yes this is the action I want to play now and for the foreseeable future (because short of selling the DP there is no way to change the action), if in doubt, I would recommend you look elsewhere (even if it means stopping the current purchase to save up and get something that is more expensive and you do really like it).

I used to have the YDP-163 and at the time, I found the GH3 action a bit too heavy and too sluggish I could not practice more than an hr on it before my hands got tired. I sold it and went with a Roland HP605 which has a lighter action (at least on the initial resistance which I like and many grand piano keys dip ever so gently when pressed on - even more so when using the sustain pedal).

Other than the other makes you have been recommended already on (e.g. Kawai/Roland) I'd say to try the Yamaha CLP645 which has an upgraded action over the GH3, the NWX. IMO it feels less heavy than the GH3 but heavier than my HP605s action (PHA50). For the extra cost, you will find better action, sound and amplification if I am not mistaken.

Thank you for the good advice, Jamie! I really start to think that the decision should be well-thought out...

jamiecw #2871402 07/22/19 07:30 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by jamiecw

Hi Anton,

At the second visit it seemed like my hands felt right with Yamaha clp-645 keys (played some melodies and felt cool) and still not quite "handy" with 164. Probably it has to do with my imperfect piano technique. But if that goes on, I will end up saving for 645...

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission