Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
106 registered members (anotherscott, amyram, caribou3, alans, 36251, apianostudent, beeboss, 32 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ #2866898
07/07/19 07:49 AM
07/07/19 07:49 AM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 4,290
Florida
dogperson Offline OP

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline OP

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 4,290
Florida
Has anyone read Stephen Hough’s essays? Linked is a review

Review of Rough Ideas

Last edited by dogperson; 07/07/19 07:50 AM.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: dogperson] #2867053
07/07/19 03:52 PM
07/07/19 03:52 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 581
Connecticut/Cincinnati
C
computerpro3 Offline
500 Post Club Member
computerpro3  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 581
Connecticut/Cincinnati
It is not out until the August 1, but this will be a day 1 buy for me. Stephen Hough is not only a remarkable pianist, but a kind and generous person. It was his playing that inspired me to return seriously to the instrument after a several year hiatus, and I have twice emailed him and received immediate responses - far more time than I expected from someone so busy.

Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: dogperson] #2867070
07/07/19 04:40 PM
07/07/19 04:40 PM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 240
N
nancyde Offline
Silver Subscriber
nancyde  Offline
Silver Subscriber
Full Member
N

Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 240
I too love Stepen Hough and want the book. Amazon is telling me it is not available until Feb. 2020?

Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: nancyde] #2867073
07/07/19 04:50 PM
07/07/19 04:50 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 4,290
Florida
dogperson Offline OP

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline OP

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 4,290
Florida
Originally Posted by nancyde
I too love Stepen Hough and want the book. Amazon is telling me it is not available until Feb. 2020?

Quite strange. I found it with a couple of U.K. sellers, available for pre-order. The publication date is 01 Aug
Maybe Amazon will update their listing soon


"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: dogperson] #2867076
07/07/19 04:55 PM
07/07/19 04:55 PM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 240
N
nancyde Offline
Silver Subscriber
nancyde  Offline
Silver Subscriber
Full Member
N

Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 240
I know, weird, I pre-ordered from a UK seller right after I read the review. Thank you so much--also looks like a very interesting site.

Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: computerpro3] #2867083
07/07/19 05:21 PM
07/07/19 05:21 PM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 135
Chicago, IL, USA
T
TwelfthRoot2 Offline
Full Member
TwelfthRoot2  Offline
Full Member
T

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 135
Chicago, IL, USA
Originally Posted by computerpro3
It is not out until the August 1, but this will be a day 1 buy for me. Stephen Hough is not only a remarkable pianist, but a kind and generous person. It was his playing that inspired me to return seriously to the instrument after a several year hiatus, and I have twice emailed him and received immediate responses - far more time than I expected from someone so busy.


I see your location says Cincinnati. Did you happen to catch his performance of the four Chopin ballades at the University of Cincinnati 2-3 years ago? He played in a very small auditorium as part of a charity event for something for like $10 a ticket just to cover the overhead. I was amazed at how few people went to this event. I've been a huge fan of Stephen ever since.

Last edited by TwelfthRoot2; 07/07/19 05:22 PM.
Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: TwelfthRoot2] #2867087
07/07/19 05:34 PM
07/07/19 05:34 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 581
Connecticut/Cincinnati
C
computerpro3 Offline
500 Post Club Member
computerpro3  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 581
Connecticut/Cincinnati
I was at the concert, and my close friend was responsible for booking him (it was put on in collaboration with the Xavier University Music Series, which she runs). I think she is working on getting him back at Xavier next year, and I will of course be in attendance at that as well.

As for the audience, Cincinnati is a joke when it comes to classical music except for the Xavier Music Series (which Xavier doesn't even support, don't get me started). Very surprising considering the conservatory and symphony we have here, and a decent population size. Unfortunately the institutions here are very fragmented - coming back form Piano Texas seeing TCU work in collaboration with Piano Texas, the Cliburn people, the Fort Worth Symphony, etc, made me realize just how bad the leadership is at musical institutions in Cincinnati. Piano Texas had more paying attendees for the amateur concerto competition than saw Stephen Hough play in Cincinnati - a travesty. I NEVER see CCM students or professors at anything off-campus, regardless of how big the name is.

Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: nancyde] #2867092
07/07/19 05:41 PM
07/07/19 05:41 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 4,290
Florida
dogperson Offline OP

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline OP

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 4,290
Florida
Originally Posted by nancyde
I know, weird, I pre-ordered from a UK seller right after I read the review. Thank you so much--also looks like a very interesting site.


The Cross-Eyed Pianist is a good blog to sign-up for. Often new composers or performers are featured


"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: computerpro3] #2867115
07/07/19 06:33 PM
07/07/19 06:33 PM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 135
Chicago, IL, USA
T
TwelfthRoot2 Offline
Full Member
TwelfthRoot2  Offline
Full Member
T

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 135
Chicago, IL, USA
Originally Posted by computerpro3
I was at the concert, and my close friend was responsible for booking him (it was put on in collaboration with the Xavier University Music Series, which she runs). I think she is working on getting him back at Xavier next year, and I will of course be in attendance at that as well.

As for the audience, Cincinnati is a joke when it comes to classical music except for the Xavier Music Series (which Xavier doesn't even support, don't get me started). Very surprising considering the conservatory and symphony we have here, and a decent population size. Unfortunately the institutions here are very fragmented - coming back form Piano Texas seeing TCU work in collaboration with Piano Texas, the Cliburn people, the Fort Worth Symphony, etc, made me realize just how bad the leadership is at musical institutions in Cincinnati. Piano Texas had more paying attendees for the amateur concerto competition than saw Stephen Hough play in Cincinnati - a travesty. I NEVER see CCM students or professors at anything off-campus, regardless of how big the name is.


I agree with you 100% about the attendees. Given the conservatory there I would expect more from the music fans in the area. I'm originally from the Chicago area and have been used to the music culture here before moving to Cincinnati several years ago (I'm back in Chicago now).

Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: dogperson] #2867125
07/07/19 07:07 PM
07/07/19 07:07 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 300
Midwest US
E
ElaineAllegro Offline

Silver Subscriber
ElaineAllegro  Offline

Silver Subscriber
Full Member
E

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 300
Midwest US
For those in Chicago or able to travel here:

Stephen Hough, piano
Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 3

Jay Pritzker Pavilion
Friday, July 19, 2019, 6:30pm–8:30pm (Live broadcast on WFMT, 98.7 FM radio)
Saturday, July 20, 2019, 7:30pm – 9:30pm
Grant Park Orchestra
Martyn Brabbins, Conductor
Stephen Hough, Piano

Program:
James MacMillan: Stomp
Ludwig van Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3
Ralph Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 2, A London Symphony
https://www.grantparkmusicfestival.com/the-music/2019-season

Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: ElaineAllegro] #2867182
07/07/19 10:14 PM
07/07/19 10:14 PM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 135
Chicago, IL, USA
T
TwelfthRoot2 Offline
Full Member
TwelfthRoot2  Offline
Full Member
T

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 135
Chicago, IL, USA
Originally Posted by ElaineAllegro
For those in Chicago or able to travel here:

Stephen Hough, piano
Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 3

Jay Pritzker Pavilion
Friday, July 19, 2019, 6:30pm–8:30pm (Live broadcast on WFMT, 98.7 FM radio)
Saturday, July 20, 2019, 7:30pm – 9:30pm
Grant Park Orchestra
Martyn Brabbins, Conductor
Stephen Hough, Piano

Program:
James MacMillan: Stomp
Ludwig van Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3
Ralph Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 2, A London Symphony
https://www.grantparkmusicfestival.com/the-music/2019-season


thank you

Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: dogperson] #2867308
07/08/19 09:30 AM
07/08/19 09:30 AM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,105
T
Tim Adrianson Online content
2000 Post Club Member
Tim Adrianson  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,105
He played here in Madison, WI a couple of years back -- the Saint Saens Concerto #5, a piece I had never previously heard -- and a revelation, particularly the last movement. As an encore, he played "Clair de Lune", impeccably. I didn't meet him, but at intermission, after playing, he made himself available to anybody to wanted to talk with him. I probably passed him in the hallway; I noted a very cultured British accent amidst the conversational fray.

Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: dogperson] #2869765
07/16/19 08:02 AM
07/16/19 08:02 AM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 253
North Tx
D
dhull100 Online blank
Platinum Subscriber
dhull100  Online Blank
Platinum Subscriber
Full Member
D

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 253
North Tx
For anyone who may be interested, I just ordered from UK Amazon to ship here to the US for a cost of less than 30 dollars.

Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: dogperson] #2878469
08/11/19 07:21 AM
08/11/19 07:21 AM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 11
B
butchkoch Offline
Junior Member
butchkoch  Offline
Junior Member
B

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 11
Ordered from Amazon UK, thanks for the tip, got a 441 page hardback, for under $30, took 5 days to reach me in the U.S.. I'm loving the insights and perspectives. If you love piano you'll love this book.

Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: nancyde] #2878549
08/11/19 01:03 PM
08/11/19 01:03 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,635
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,635
In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by nancyde
I too love Stepen Hough and want the book. Amazon is telling me it is not available until Feb. 2020?


It is still showing on Amazon for Feb 2020. Wants us to pre-order it.


[Linked Image]
Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: dogperson] #2878566
08/11/19 01:57 PM
08/11/19 01:57 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 25,528
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 25,528
New York City

Re: Stephen Hough essays ‘Rough Ideas’ [Re: pianoloverus] #2878619
08/11/19 05:10 PM
08/11/19 05:10 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,635
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,635
In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by pianoloverus


Thanks for the link!


[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai GX2 vs C Bechstein B190 original?
by tomyt3. 08/25/19 06:48 PM
So, what else is new?
by malkin. 08/25/19 03:29 PM
Books on 1st and 2nd Inversions
by lindula. 08/25/19 02:45 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,727
Posts2,862,536
Members94,250
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1