Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
94 registered members (accordeur, AndrewJCW, ArturC, 36251, amyram, anotherscott, andrea monza, 28 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869111
07/14/19 12:31 AM
07/14/19 12:31 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Online content OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Online Content OP

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Bett
How lovely to see this old girl shown such respect... nothing more respectful than playing her as she is. You made her sound great, thankyou Rickster.
Hey, thanks Bett, and all!

Well, it's after midnight and I've been out in the garage playing the old gal and having a ball! I love all my pianos, but it's extra special to play an old, warn-out upright piano that needs some TLC. I've had a few old uprights in the past, and enjoyed them all for what they were; and, they were always in much better shape when I got rid of them than when I got them. I'll enjoy this one for a while and we will see where things go from here. But I figure anything to get me to play the piano more is bound to help my meager playing abilities. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869145
07/14/19 05:19 AM
07/14/19 05:19 AM
S
SuzyUpright Offline
SuzyUpright  Offline
S

Loved watching that video, love the message it sends, and love the playing ( I need to learn how to do a gliss! ).
All the best Rick...you're my kinda guy smile

Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Bett] #2869164
07/14/19 08:50 AM
07/14/19 08:50 AM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Originally Posted by Bett
How lovely to see this old girl shown such respect... nothing more respectful than playing her as she is. You made her sound great, thankyou Rickster.

Yes I agree ,so glad she was not was not torn apart,
and yes also enjoyed your playing.

Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869180
07/14/19 09:45 AM
07/14/19 09:45 AM
Southeast US
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Southeast US
Coming in late to this thread, but wow, your friends know you well!! grin

Also, I agree, the music you played fit that piano to a T! Especially the country tune and the boogie woogie, perfect!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869243
07/14/19 01:05 PM
07/14/19 01:05 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Rick

I am sure you have answered this question before, but, what equipment do you use to film and record the sound?

[Linked Image]
Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869262
07/14/19 01:59 PM
07/14/19 01:59 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Online content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

4000 Post Club Member

🎹
Yes, nice selection of appropriate tunes! smile

It's amazing to see a piano of that vintage being put through its paces and hanging in there. And the intricacy of the inner workings actually working. Amazing that such a thing could be built a century or more ago. And built to last. For example, these pianos survived decades of life without any sort of humidity or climate control.

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869278
07/14/19 03:04 PM
07/14/19 03:04 PM
Georgia, USA

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Rick

I am sure you have answered this question before, but, what equipment do you use to film and record the sound?

Good question, NobleHouse...

I use an older JVC 30gb Everio HDD camcorder. Of course, the sound quality is much better live and in person, and the camcorder does an adequate job, but is certainly not high fidelity. I did purchase a Zoom H4n stereo recorder and it does do a better job of recording the music than the camcorder, but it is more difficult to dub the video file with the audio file with my ShotCut video software. And, using two devices is just more work.

I've been told I should use some better recording equipment for my music video recordings, but there is still some loss of sound quality when uploading to YouTube. But I suppose with better recording equipment, the sound quality would still be some better when uploading to YT.

Either way, I'm still just an amature musician having a lot of fun! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869279
07/14/19 03:13 PM
07/14/19 03:13 PM
Georgia, USA

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
It's amazing to see a piano of that vintage being put through its paces and hanging in there. And the intricacy of the inner workings actually working. Amazing that such a thing could be built a century or more ago. And built to last. For example, these pianos survived decades of life without any sort of humidity or climate control.
I've thought the same thing, Ret.

Not sure how old the Wellington is yet, but with the partial plate and exposed pin-block, I'm sure it is pretty old. However, the action is actually more modern than I would have thought. I've had some old uprights with the brass hammer butt plates.

Anyway, I do enjoy tinkering with these old upright pianos. I wonder if the new ones would last as long under the same conditions? smile

Rick

Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869344
07/14/19 07:52 PM
07/14/19 07:52 PM
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Rick

Good question, NobleHouse...

I use an older JVC 30gb Everio HDD camcorder. Of course, the sound quality is much better live and in person, and the camcorder does an adequate job, but is certainly not high fidelity. I did purchase a Zoom H4n stereo recorder and it does do a better job of recording the music than the camcorder, but it is more difficult to dub the video file with the audio file with my ShotCut video software. And, using two devices is just more work.

I've been told I should use some better recording equipment for my music video recordings, but there is still some loss of sound quality when uploading to YouTube. But I suppose with better recording equipment, the sound quality would still be some better when uploading to YT.

Either way, I'm still just an amature musician having a lot of fun! smile

Rick

Thanks for the info.

[Linked Image]
Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869353
07/14/19 08:32 PM
07/14/19 08:32 PM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
Helicopters - my Church is a couple of streets from a large hospital - and emergency cases come in by helicopter. They're fairly low as they come over the Church if they're from the East. One came over during the sermon - despite a PA system, he just had to stop for 20 seconds. If they fly over during a hymn - I just pull more stops on the organ!!!

Sounds like fun - I don't have room for another piano (mine is C7 size) - but I've been tempted a few times - maybe I need a shed?

100 metres from neighbours - that would be wonderful - I'm glad I've got "green space" about 100 metres behind me - then a Motorway, so I'll never have back neighbours - but I do have one each side. The side of the home where my piano and organ are, have a brick-wall and garage between me and the neighbours that side - and I close the internal doors to the other side if I'm playing a long or late session. They say they don't hear it.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869380
07/14/19 11:44 PM
07/14/19 11:44 PM
Georgia, USA

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
The side of the home where my piano and organ are, have a brick-wall and garage between me and the neighbours that side - and I close the internal doors to the other side if I'm playing a long or late session. They say they don't hear it.

Well, even if they did hear it, they would probably enjoy it! smile

My closest neighbor is about 100 yards/300 feet away and he says he can hear me play the piano on occasion, when it is quiet in the evenings. But he says he enjoys it a lot. He once brought a relative visiting from another state to my house and wanted me to play the piano for them. I was flattered because I didn't think I could play all that well... smile

I pulled the action on old Bessy this evening and removed all the keys and buffed them with a scotch-bright pad. It removed that yellowish dinge from the key-tops and they cleaned up pretty well. Several key-tops are chipped on the edges, but I think I'll leave that be for now. I'm still having a lot of fun with old Bessy and think my other pianos are a little jealous. But they know I still love them too... smile

The video I posted on YT yesterday has over 1300 views already. Hey, it may be another YT hit (or not:-)! But I do like the thought of helping to put a smile on someone's face when they hear old Bessy... smile

Rick

Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869384
07/15/19 12:39 AM
07/15/19 12:39 AM
Colorado
J
JoanL Offline
JoanL  Offline
J

Colorado
Thanks for the video, Rick. You DID put a smile on my face. Glad you're enjoying old Bessy. She's a lucky piano!

Piano Tuner/Technician
1938 Steinway Model M
Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869386
07/15/19 12:53 AM
07/15/19 12:53 AM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Well I hope the old upright from my childhood is still somewhere in someone's home.I doubt it as it was pre
WW2 when it was my piano.Mind you I suppose if
I add a few about a decade plus a few numbers and I
would be called pre war.So who knows she could
be somwhere out there, like old Bessy still being played and cared for.
This I think makes all of us wonder where those old
pianos from our childhood have ended up ?

Last edited by Lady Bird; 07/15/19 12:56 AM. Reason: Missing word
Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869394
07/15/19 03:02 AM
07/15/19 03:02 AM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
I remember a few childhood pianos. The home piano Mum&Dad bought soon after they were married - would have been a big commitment then as ££ were scarce - a big German Hapsburg with overdamper. It sounded good, but the action was really slow. It looked immaculate and Mum got it tuned every year. Even though it was an iron frame, it was a semi-tone below concert pitch, which made it difficult to play with visitors who brought instruments. I'd hope it isn't still around as the action wasn't nice, though looked lovely. She replaced it in about 1967/8 with a KAWAI medium size upright - which is still going well at my brother's home.

The worst piano I remember was a small Sunday School piano - with what they called a wooden frame. It was far more Honky Tonk than @Rickster's new piano. It still was tuned every year when the other 3 Church pianos were tuned - but it stayed in tune for several nano-seconds. Oh, and it was tuned a whole 2 semi-tones below concert pitch!!

Several of my teachers had old "clunkers" - which did the job, didn't sound really good or feel nice.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869456
07/15/19 09:34 AM
07/15/19 09:34 AM
Georgia, USA

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
Several of my teachers had old "clunkers" - which did the job, didn't sound really good or feel nice.

I do like the nostalgia and curiosity of the old upright pianos I've tinkered with. And, I enjoy playing them for what they are/were. But it also reinvigorates my appreciation for a nice piano. Again, I've said this before and I'll say it again, when it comes to pianos, newer is usually better. But where is the fun in that? smile

Also, messing with these old piano gives me a renewed respect and appreciation for the rebuilders, refurbishers and technicians who work on them for a living. It can be fun and enjoyable, but not at all easy. Well, some things are not too difficult, but some are. But when you get the old piano for free, there is not much to lose, except time. And, if we spend our time doing something we enjoy, that is a wonderful thing too... smile

It has been said that no two acoustic pianos sound and play exactly alike. This is true, even with the old worn out uprights. But I am intrigued with the sound of these old relics from days gone by...

Rick

Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2869978
07/17/19 12:35 AM
07/17/19 12:35 AM
Georgia, USA

Georgia, USA
I've been tinkering with "old Bessy" the last couple of days, and playing her hard. Knocking some of the 100 year old dust off the bass strings and hammers and getting the action loosened up a bit. The action is very relaxed and smooth (and fast) and not stiff and sticky at all like some old upright pianos I've tinkered with.

I checked the tuning pitch today and she was more than a semitone flat; maybe closer to a semitone and a half. Anyway, the tuning pins feel pretty good and tight, for an old piano, so I took the plunge and raised the pitch up to A440. I was hoping no strings would break, and none did. There's some tarnish from age, and embedded dust everywhere, but not a lot of rust or corrosion. I'll still need to do some fine tuning, and go over it a few more times. But the pitch raise sure did improve the tone. The low bass is still tubby sounding and has that double bass/stand-up bass sound, but I kind of like that, at least on an old saloon piano. smile

I'll see how the pitch raise holds and keep playing it hard to gain some tuning stability. She's old, but has some life left in her and I plan to share it with her for a while longer, at least.

Still not 100% sure on the age of the piano, but I did find a similar old Wellington upright on the net with a higher serial # that was from 1913; that serial # started with 17**** and the one I have is 128168. If that is correct, the one I have is a bit older still.

Maybe someone with the Pierce Piano Atlas can check it for me.

Anyway, I hope y'all don't get tired of my posting about old Bessy. My excitement and intrigue about old Bessy might not fade anytime soon, but this thread will. smile

Rick

Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2870028
07/17/19 08:49 AM
07/17/19 08:49 AM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
I’m enjoying hearing about Ol’ Bessy’s progress. Plus, as you clean and tune her, I can look at Amadeus and see what you’re talking about and further my piano knowledge. Probably like a lot of folks here on PW I really don’t have anyone to sit down over coffee and talk pianos for hours. So, please continue to share Ol’ Bessy’s story.
yippie

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: An unexpected old piano adventure today [Re: Rickster] #2870045
07/17/19 10:05 AM
07/17/19 10:05 AM
Southeast US
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Southeast US
Probably like a lot of folks here on PW I really don’t have anyone to sit down over coffee and talk pianos for hours.

This!

Like many of your spouses, I'm guessing, my husband is used to my piano obsession and kind of knows enough to sort of participate when I get excited about a piano and ramble on. But that's not the same as talking to fellow piano fanatic fan! whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
lead sheet - Someday We'll All Be Free
by seniorblues. 10/14/19 04:30 PM
Brahms, Op. 76, No. 3, Opinions
by BruceD. 10/14/19 03:02 PM
Baldwin Piano 245
by gentlebreeze. 10/14/19 02:35 PM
Anybody do LRCM or LRSM?
by spk. 10/14/19 01:41 PM
Stretches in the middle registers
by Ghostnotes. 10/14/19 10:44 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,520
Posts2,879,182
Members94,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission