Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
94 registered members (accordeur, AndrewJCW, ArturC, 36251, amyram, anotherscott, andrea monza, 28 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2868242
07/11/19 05:57 AM
07/11/19 05:57 AM
Bulgaria
PhilipInChina Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
Action going back into the Bluthner even as I type this.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2868262
07/11/19 06:28 AM
07/11/19 06:28 AM
Dublin
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
Action going back into the Bluthner even as I type this.

Brilliant!

Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2868288
07/11/19 08:01 AM
07/11/19 08:01 AM
Bulgaria
PhilipInChina Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
Funny you use that word. It is much more brilliant after the necessary regulation. He is tuning it now.

See you tomorrow John. Just opened the windows of your bedroom as it was a bit musty in there.

Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2868295
07/11/19 08:20 AM
07/11/19 08:20 AM
Dublin
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
Many thanks Philip! See you then!

Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2868315
07/11/19 09:32 AM
07/11/19 09:32 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

6000 Post Club Member

Funny you use that word. It is much more brilliant after the necessary regulation. He is tuning it now.

See you tomorrow John. Just opened the windows of your bedroom as it was a bit musty in there.

Wife and I are about to leave Stockholm for Sofia. See you Saturday. I had to give her last minute reassurances that there would not be a 24h piano recital. shocked No, don’t ask how she could have thought that was even a possibility! laugh

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2868326
07/11/19 10:01 AM
07/11/19 10:01 AM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
1000 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L

New York City
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Wife and I are about to leave Stockholm for Sofia. See you Saturday. I had to give her last minute reassurances that there would not be a 24h piano recital. shocked No, don’t ask how she could have thought that was even a possibility! laugh

It’s nice to follow you on your travels with my iPhone. I was in Stockholm once on business. The Swedes negotiated the contract by drinking in the bar at the Grand Hotel until 2am and then talking terms. Nobody could remember anything later. It snowed in April. The Swedes were looking forward to the big boat show. That’s all I remember. Oh, Gamla Stan? That’s a cool place.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2868346
07/11/19 11:03 AM
07/11/19 11:03 AM
Bulgaria
PhilipInChina Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
The entire recital should be around 2 hours, but that includes the champagne break.

The technician has now left. The Bluthner sounds better than it has ever sounded whilst I have owned it. He has replaced those mangled felts and regulated the action. It just feels so positive. The clarity of the sound is wonderful. It will be even better when the acoustics are tweaked a bit by putting the carpets on the floor and, eventually, getting a couple of dozen people in there to listen.

Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: LarryK] #2868572
07/12/19 01:02 AM
07/12/19 01:02 AM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by LarryK
It’s nice to follow you on your travels with my iPhone. I was in Stockholm once on business. The Swedes negotiated the contract by drinking in the bar at the Grand Hotel until 2am and then talking terms. Nobody could remember anything later. It snowed in April. The Swedes were looking forward to the big boat show. That’s all I remember. Oh, Gamla Stan? That’s a cool place.

I stayed at the Grand Hotel 22 years ago on business. This time stayed in Gamla Stan across the river, and only stopped by the Grand for smörgåsbord with our wonderful host, Animisha. Couldn't see the yachts from the window this time because of a line of buses and a new building that spoiled the waterfront view a bit, but the smörgåsbord was delectable as a remembered it with it's half dozen herring dishes, and over a dozen fish dishes overall. Unlike my memories of staying at the Grand, our hotel in Gamla Stan left me cold, although Stockholm was gorgeous and my wife and I are excited about coming back after the construction that has overtaken the city centre is completed.

From strictly a hotel-quality perspective, our Marriott brand Design Hotel here in Sofia is so much nice, complete with it's reproduction of Van Gogh's Irises. Wife has decided to forgo a city tour in favor of spending all day in the hotel spa, while I will hunt for the start of the 3-hr cultural walking tour over at the Palace of Justice after breakfast.

One thing that has changed in Sofia since the last time I was here in the 90's is that we are on the 4th floor in the summer and... there's water pressure at the taps! wink grin

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2868694
07/12/19 10:57 AM
07/12/19 10:57 AM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
1000 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L

New York City

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by LarryK

I stayed at the Grand Hotel 22 years ago on business. This time stayed in Gamla Stan across the river, and only stopped by the Grand for smörgåsbord with our wonderful host, Animisha. Couldn't see the yachts from the window this time because of a line of buses and a new building that spoiled the waterfront view a bit, but the smörgåsbord was delectable as a remembered it with it's half dozen herring dishes, and over a dozen fish dishes overall. Unlike my memories of staying at the Grand, our hotel in Gamla Stan left me cold, although Stockholm was gorgeous and my wife and I are excited about coming back after the construction that has overtaken the city centre is completed.

From strictly a hotel-quality perspective, our Marriott brand Design Hotel here in Sofia is so much nice, complete with it's reproduction of Van Gogh's Irises. Wife has decided to forgo a city tour in favor of spending all day in the hotel spa, while I will hunt for the start of the 3-hr cultural walking tour over at the Palace of Justice after breakfast.

One thing that has changed in Sofia since the last time I was here in the 90's is that we are on the 4th floor in the summer and... there's water pressure at the taps! wink grin

Ha, better plumbing always makes life better! My wife’s little Paris apartment had a shower that was missing a hook to hang the shower head high up on the wall so I always had to kneel in order to be baptized. That was painful.

My wife loves irises. She is a friend to all the flowers, actually. I’m just amazed I managed to keep her plants alive while she was away. We would do FaceTime calls and she would criticize my gardening skills!

I thought of you and your neighbor last week when my piano teacher mentioned that her downstairs neighbor would call to find out if she was sick if they didn’t hear her piano. Isn’t that sweet? They’re mostly Russians in her building. I can imagine them calling and asking if they can bring up food, lol.

It sounds like you’re having fun!

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2868763
07/12/19 01:37 PM
07/12/19 01:37 PM

6000 Post Club Member

In [i]Parsifal[\i] waiting for the 1st interval to be over. Amazing oh, it seems less than half the audience are Bulgarians. I’ve chatted with people from all over Europe that came for the 7th Wagner festival in Sofia. Lots of tuxes and bow ties. Fun stuff.

Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2868943
07/13/19 10:38 AM
07/13/19 10:38 AM
Sweden
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
I hope you that all of you have a wonderful day today! Enjoy the piano's, each other, Bulgaria, and the howling wolves. And if anybody would put some pictures in this thread, that would also be great. But if you don't feel like it, don't bother, just enjoy!! 3hearts

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2869140
07/14/19 04:30 AM
07/14/19 04:30 AM
Bulgaria
PhilipInChina Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
Yes, today is the big day.

Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2869162
07/14/19 08:38 AM
07/14/19 08:38 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Yes, today is the big day.

Party Time! Enjoy everybody!

[Linked Image]
Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2869224
07/14/19 11:59 AM
07/14/19 11:59 AM
Bulgaria
PhilipInChina Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
We did!

Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2869240
07/14/19 12:54 PM
07/14/19 12:54 PM
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

We did!

thumb

[Linked Image]
Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2869241
07/14/19 12:56 PM
07/14/19 12:56 PM
Ann Arbor, MI
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member
jazzyprof  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ann Arbor, MI
We did!

Pictures! Pictures! Or it didn't happen.grin

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: jazzyprof] #2869260
07/14/19 01:58 PM
07/14/19 01:58 PM
P
Pinkiepie Offline
Pinkiepie  Offline
P

Originally Posted by jazzyprof
We did!

Pictures! Pictures! Or it didn't happen.grin

Or it was a "party" nobody would want to see pictures of ... blush

Just kidding.
I hope you had a lot of fun. But I'm sure, you did.
The only better thing than music is sharing it with others. smile

Last edited by Pinkiepie; 07/14/19 02:01 PM.
Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2869387
07/15/19 01:19 AM
07/15/19 01:19 AM
Bulgaria
PhilipInChina Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
Virtually over. one couple left yesterday, another couple just gone and a 3rd to leave later today. That just leaves 2 grumpy old men until tomorrow.

Highlights? I asked a guest to pick up Shadow. She nipped him, which she has never, ever done. The soloist was attacked by a mosquito (culicidae, not the DeHaviland fighter bomber) whilst playing. So she had to stop to be sprayed with mosquito repellant. C sharp stopped working during her performance. One guest broke a tooth whilst here. So in comparison with 2017 it was a cake walk.

Interestingly I recommended to the tuner that he avoid Veneta Neynska for a while as his regulated piano had stopped working. He replied that she should avoid him as she broke a properly regulated piano.

Bookings currently being taken for 2020!

Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2869874
07/16/19 03:36 PM
07/16/19 03:36 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Virtually over. one couple left yesterday, another couple just gone and a 3rd to leave later today. That just leaves 2 grumpy old men until tomorrow.

What a wonderful and entertaining weekend - deep thanks to Philip for arranging and inviting all of us into his home and managing all the preparation and organizational details from party hats piano regulation and programs for the recital. My wife regrets not playing snooker with you, Philip, but she thought she’d be a bad guest if she beat you in your own home, on your own snooker table you hauled all the way from merry ole England! wink laugh

We had quite an adventure getting out of Bulgaria and it was a Planes, Trains, and Automobiles thing. The earliest train to Sofia from your nearest town was going to get us to Sofia and the airport only in the nick of time, and then, unusual as we understand for Bulgaria, it ran late! So we ended up hopping off the train before we got to Sofia, at a station without any taxis, wife managed to persuade a friendly guy with no space in his car to call us a taxi which took time to arrive. In the meantime, another taxi happened by and she again persuaded this one to take us to the airport in Sofia and we loaded our stuff only to see the taxi that had been called also arrive. So we transferred our stuff to the one that had been called for us and he drove as fast as he could and we managed to catch our Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt.

But our adventures didn’t end here. We had only a 55 min transfer in Frankfurt to our flight to Austrian Airlines flight to Salzburg and whether it was a Lufthansa miscalculation when our flight was automatically booked or Expedia.com dropping the ball, it turned out that our layover in Frankfurt could only have been 25 mins because the flight to Salzburg was a bus transfer and because of that, boarding closed 30 mins before the departure time. Furthermore, the flight from Sofia to Frankfurt was also a bus transfer, and it took 20 mins to offload and for the bus to make the terminal. So in the absolute best case, we would have had 5 mins to make a mad dash across the terminal and get through customs and passport control (since Bulgaria isn’t Shengen Zone), something which would have defied the laws of physics. Because the gods laugh in such circumstances, they made sure to make our flight 15 mins late so that it would be quite impossible to have made it but prevented us from knowing about the bus transfer on the Salzburg flight so as to not make the attempt at dashing across Frankfurt airport!

As a result, we found ourselves 18 back in the queue at the Lufthansa service desk in another part of the giant airport to rebook for the later flight to Salzburg when we got an automatic notification from the Lufthansa system that the last flight to Salzburg was full!!! cry More persuasion (my wife is very good at persuasion) and some customer service person allowed us to jump the queue and got us on the flight to Vienna where we could catch the flight to Salzburg to arrive about 7 hrs after we were supposed to have arrived. The main issue was that the flight to Vienna was too close in mere mins. Again, grabbed the bags, mad dash to the other end of the terminal to arrive out of breath before boarding to Vienna closed. With a long layover in Vienna for a short 30-min flight to Salzburg (one where Lufthansa conveniently forgot all this was their fault and consequently denied us meal vouchers mad )

Meanwhile a new problem presented itself. Our final destination was a sleepy spa/skiing village in Austria about 90 km from Salzburg called Bad Hofgastein. Not only is the Salzburg airport so small that the rental car desk would be closed at 7pm, even our nice spa hotel has an unmanned desk after midnight. If we could make it to Bad Hofgastein to the hotel we booked and already paid for, we wouldn’t even be able to check at 1:30am when we finally arrive (instead of the 7pm we were supposed to arrive)!

Well, as I made contingency plans for an airport hotel in Salzburg, my wife did more persuasion and had a friend in Amsterdam work the phones not only to find an emergency dentist in Austria (see below), but to call car rental companies in Salzburg and the hotel in Bad Hofgastein on options. Turns out that friend was even more adept at persuasion as he was able to persuade the lady at one of the Salzburg car rental companies (not the Avis with which we originally booked) to come in to work at 11pm when our flight from Vienna was due in order to let us have a car. My wife also was able to arrange for the woman who was working the desk at the hotel to come in at 1:30am to let us in to our room! The woman at the rental company was a bit late because she apparently went to take a nap and fell asleep before being waken by the alarm she had set to make sure she’d be able to come to the airport by 11pm, for which we awarded her with a big box of Austrian chocolates, but the desk clerk was waiting for us outside the hotel when we pulled up at 1:30am. All together, our Plane, Trains, and Automobiles adventure started at 8am at Philip’s in Bulgaria and was not over until we turned in at 2am the next morning in our nice beds in Bad Hofgastein.

This morning, we were able to make it to the dentist about 35 km away from this resort town to for my wife’s emergency dentistry, and we are finally in recovery from the trip logistical process! And what a place to recover, Bad Hofgastein is, too! I am exceedingly grateful for my very good friend, Animisha’s suggestion of this resort town for a vacation destination. It’s wonderful and sleepy. Sleepy and wonderful! My wife is beside herself planning a week of spa treatments. laugh laugh

Highlights? I asked a guest to pick up Shadow. She nipped him, which she has never, ever done.

Check. I can now check off the bucket list being bit bloody by an exceedingly friendly dog. wink

One guest broke a tooth whilst here.

You’ll be happy to know, my wife is recovering nicely after her emergency dental procedure this morning! smile

Bookings currently being taken for 2020!

Highly recommended! Philip is a wonderful, thoughtful, caring, and generous host. For those who have never seen Bulgaria before though, I do suggest spending an extra day in Sofia before heading for the country, and if you do that, I recommend the tours given by 365 Association in Sofia.

Great fun!

Re: Piano party July 2019 [Re: PhilipInChina] #2869880
07/16/19 04:05 PM
07/16/19 04:05 PM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
1000 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L

New York City
Wow! When is the movie coming out? What an adventure!

I love Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, the last scene always brings me to tears. I miss John Hughes.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
lead sheet - Someday We'll All Be Free
by seniorblues. 10/14/19 04:30 PM
Brahms, Op. 76, No. 3, Opinions
by BruceD. 10/14/19 03:02 PM
Baldwin Piano 245
by gentlebreeze. 10/14/19 02:35 PM
Anybody do LRCM or LRSM?
by spk. 10/14/19 01:41 PM
Stretches in the middle registers
by Ghostnotes. 10/14/19 10:44 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,520
Posts2,879,182
Members94,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission