Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
94 registered members (accordeur, AndrewJCW, ArturC, 36251, amyram, anotherscott, andrea monza, 28 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 46 of 54 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 53 54
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: GidgetKeys] #2868863
07/12/19 07:42 PM
07/12/19 07:42 PM
P
phillypharm Offline
phillypharm  Offline
P

Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
Welcome, phillypharm. As I understand it there is a beta version of the new iPad app, which Josh can help with, and if you are a Facebook user, come and join the group, Piano for Beginners over there as well.

Oh cool, thanks. I just requested to join!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2868868
07/12/19 07:57 PM
07/12/19 07:57 PM
P
phillypharm Offline
phillypharm  Offline
P

Originally Posted by millsj1134

Here is the link to try out the iPad beta version! 😀 https://testflight.apple.com/join/QeTHyJNs

Wonderful! Just downloaded it and will try to give it a whirl this weekend.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2868957
07/13/19 11:57 AM
07/13/19 11:57 AM
Moscow suburbs
Darkwasp Offline
Darkwasp  Offline

Moscow suburbs
Hi! Can someone please tell me how you doing ear training exercises in Technique section of PM because I just can't get my head around them. Thing is, I found to be too difficult to actually figure out what's being played by ear, and instead those exercises eventually became "stem-reading" exercises (because you can still make out notes if you watch stems of missing notes closely), which is obviously wrong. I started from the very beginning and it was already difficult. Does anyone else have problems with these exercises?

Casio PX-160 (Previous), Yamaha CLP-645 (Current), Superlux HD-681
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2868992
07/13/19 01:44 PM
07/13/19 01:44 PM
UK
M
matthew28 Offline
matthew28  Offline
M

UK
I started with Piano Marvel recently. Initially I tried to play the ear training as if I was sight reading working out the key as I played it for the first time. But that didn’t work as I invariably got it wrong and then once played through the notes would be revealed taking away the ear training aspect.

Now I do it a line at a time in practice mode. First I just look at the line and play the notes I can see and work out the rhythm, then I try and fill in the blanks. My most recent ear tests were in a level dealing with chords so I knew I had a choice of three or four chords and from previous exercises I knew roughly which notes work together. So I simply tried playing the note I could see with what I thought the blank was until I had something that sounded good. Then I would try playing the whole line and if it still sounded right that would be the first time I would try it for real in assess mode. Hopefully then what I would hear in the accompaniment would match what I had previously heard myself play. If I had a note wrong then I would play the correct note against what I played and compare the sounds, and play the whole line again anyway to get a feel for it.

I then do the same for the next line until each line has been played. Usually once a few lines have been played I can hear the rhythm of the piece and how it all works together which then makes it relatively easy to be able to play the whole thing in one go.

That works for me. I have only been using PM for a couple of months though so I will be interested to read any other people's methods.

Last edited by matthew28; 07/13/19 01:45 PM.

Roland FP30 (portable piano)
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Darkwasp] #2869103
07/13/19 11:43 PM
07/13/19 11:43 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
Originally Posted by Darkwasp
Hi! Can someone please tell me how you doing ear training exercises in Technique section of PM because I just can't get my head around them. Thing is, I found to be too difficult to actually figure out what's being played by ear, and instead those exercises eventually became "stem-reading" exercises (because you can still make out notes if you watch stems of missing notes closely), which is obviously wrong. I started from the very beginning and it was already difficult. Does anyone else have problems with these exercises?

It took me a while, but I finally, after hearing the same intervals over and over at the beginning of the training, managed to start to be able to hear them in the pieces they play. And you do the same intervals and pieces over and over, in different keys as time goes on.

I'm now up the the harmony ear training and I admit, I'm a bit stumped. But I figure as long as I keep hearing it over and over eventually I'll get it.

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2869130
07/14/19 02:53 AM
07/14/19 02:53 AM
Moscow suburbs
Darkwasp Offline
Darkwasp  Offline

Moscow suburbs
Thank you both for sharing your experience! I'll try to apply your methods and see if it'll work!

Casio PX-160 (Previous), Yamaha CLP-645 (Current), Superlux HD-681
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: matthew28] #2869291
07/14/19 04:15 PM
07/14/19 04:15 PM
Irving, Texas
TX-Bluebonnet Offline
500 Post Club Member
TX-Bluebonnet  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Irving, Texas
Welcome Matthew and thank you for bringing this up.
Originally Posted by matthew28

Are there any plans for the Windows browser version to be able to scroll through while playing, as I understand the ipad app does? I really like Piano Marvel except for the fact that I can see three or four pairs of staves, until I want to play then it drops down to only two pairs of staves being visible and alternates between playing the top or bottom one. An option in the settings to allow the current style or an app style scrolling view would be great if possible in the future.

I agree the current non-scrolling view on windows is not ideal. I was planning on looking in the settings to see how to change that, but apparently it's not an option. Seems to me it's only fair that if everyone pays the same amount they should all get the same features.

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2869328
07/14/19 06:40 PM
07/14/19 06:40 PM
P
phillypharm Offline
phillypharm  Offline
P

I've got a week or so left on my free trial, does anyone know of any discount codes for the yearly subscription?

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: phillypharm] #2869431
07/15/19 08:14 AM
07/15/19 08:14 AM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium
Originally Posted by phillypharm
I've got a week or so left on my free trial, does anyone know of any discount codes for the yearly subscription?

Josh Mills we are talking about doing a Shark Week promotion 😀

Piano Marvel level 4B and everything I like smile
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2869715
07/16/19 04:24 AM
07/16/19 04:24 AM
Wuustwezel Belgium
Sarah65 Offline OP
Sarah65  Offline OP

Wuustwezel Belgium

Piano Marvel level 4B and everything I like smile
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: phillypharm] #2869911
07/16/19 06:09 PM
07/16/19 06:09 PM
California, U.S.
C
CLM Piano Learner Offline
CLM Piano Learner  Offline
C

California, U.S.
Originally Posted by phillypharm

The online/YouTube teachers, Josh Wright and Bach Scholar both have discount codes that work for Piano Marvel. I believe you can find the codes on their websites. Or, search their YouTube channels where they talk about Piano Marvel.

[Linked Image]
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2870000
07/17/19 04:40 AM
07/17/19 04:40 AM
UK
J
jamiecw Offline
500 Post Club Member
jamiecw  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

UK
I believe any codes available from either Josh or Bach Scholar will be for the monthly subscription. The yearly one is already heavily discounted which trumps the monthly fee even with the discount applied.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: TX-Bluebonnet] #2870010
07/17/19 06:12 AM
07/17/19 06:12 AM
UK
M
matthew28 Offline
matthew28  Offline
M

UK
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet

Hi Linda. Thanks for the welcome.
Josh did reply to this when I re-posted on the Piano Marvel Facebook page.
His reply (from four days ago) ............"I’m not exactly sure when this will be tackled, but I would think the team would be open to doing this! 😊 We have so many things we would like to release/would like to implement that it sometimes is hard to choose which one we do first!"

Roland FP30 (portable piano)
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: jamiecw] #2870293
07/18/19 10:54 AM
07/18/19 10:54 AM
M
millsj1134 Offline
millsj1134  Offline
M

Originally Posted by jamiecw
I believe any codes available from either Josh or Bach Scholar will be for the monthly subscription. The yearly one is already heavily discounted which trumps the monthly fee even with the discount applied.

I’ve been told from a co-worker that the code will also apply to the yearly membership as well! 😀

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: millsj1134] #2870456
07/18/19 08:48 PM
07/18/19 08:48 PM
P
phillypharm Offline
phillypharm  Offline
P

Originally Posted by jamiecw

I’ve been told from a co-worker that the code will also apply to the yearly membership as well! 😀

I'll let you know if it works if there's no shark week promo.

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: matthew28] #2870462
07/18/19 09:07 PM
07/18/19 09:07 PM
Irving, Texas
TX-Bluebonnet Offline
500 Post Club Member
TX-Bluebonnet  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Irving, Texas

His reply (from four days ago) ............"I’m not exactly sure when this will be tackled, but I would think the team would be open to doing this! 😊 We have so many things we would like to release/would like to implement that it sometimes is hard to choose which one we do first!"

Matthew, Thank you for passing that info along. smile Not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but at least now I know.

Linda

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: TX-Bluebonnet] #2870548
07/19/19 07:13 AM
07/19/19 07:13 AM
M
millsj1134 Offline
millsj1134  Offline
M

Matthew, Thank you for passing that info along. smile Not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but at least now I know.

I’m sorry! 😕 It makes me sad too. We try really hard to make sure we do the things that are the most beneficial and will make our customers really wowed. Since there are so many things out there we could do, we try as a team to make sure we stay tightly focused. We have so many things we want to do for you all but sadly all these things require time. We have a full time development team that we keep very busy trying to improve the app; we also just hired a new company to start developing a new tool for us as well! Anyways, thank you very much for your recommendation. We really do value your feedback and want to keep improving and adding great features. I think making the score read the same between Mac, iPad and Windows only makes sense. 😀

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I’m here to help! 😀

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: millsj1134] #2870658
07/19/19 02:57 PM
07/19/19 02:57 PM
California, U.S.
C
CLM Piano Learner Offline
CLM Piano Learner  Offline
C

California, U.S.

I’m sorry! 😕 It makes me sad too. We try really hard to make sure we do the things that are the most beneficial and will make our customers really wowed. Since there are so many things out there we could do, we try as a team to make sure we stay tightly focused. We have so many things we want to do for you all but sadly all these things require time. We have a full time development team that we keep very busy trying to improve the app; we also just hired a new company to start developing a new tool for us as well! Anyways, thank you very much for your recommendation. We really do value your feedback and want to keep improving and adding great features. I think making the score read the same between Mac, iPad and Windows only makes sense. 😀

Josh - Thanks for everything you and your team do at Piano Marvel! It is an incredible app and makes learning new music so efficient. In fact, it is the only piano learning software my piano teacher lets me use. smile We've tried others and nothing comes close to PM! We really appreciate everything you do!

[Linked Image]
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: millsj1134] #2870669
07/19/19 03:33 PM
07/19/19 03:33 PM
Irving, Texas
TX-Bluebonnet Offline
500 Post Club Member
TX-Bluebonnet  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Irving, Texas

Thanks for replaying Josh. It's nice to know that it could maybe be a feature one day. Here's an interesting link I found on the ratio of Andriod vs iOS users. You know, in case your marketing/developing team isn't aware. wink

Linda

Re: Other people do Piano Marvel? [Re: Sarah65] #2871463
07/22/19 12:20 PM
07/22/19 12:20 PM
M
millsj1134 Offline
millsj1134  Offline
M

Thanks for replaying Josh. It's nice to know that it could maybe be a feature one day. Here's an interesting link I found on the ratio of Andriod vs iOS users. You know, in case your marketing/developing team isn't aware. wink

That is a cool article, thank you for sharing! I have shown it to both the President and Vice President of Piano Marvel smile

Last edited by millsj1134; 07/22/19 12:21 PM.
Page 46 of 54 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 53 54

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
lead sheet - Someday We'll All Be Free
by seniorblues. 10/14/19 04:30 PM
Brahms, Op. 76, No. 3, Opinions
by BruceD. 10/14/19 03:02 PM
Baldwin Piano 245
by gentlebreeze. 10/14/19 02:35 PM
Anybody do LRCM or LRSM?
by spk. 10/14/19 01:41 PM
Stretches in the middle registers
by Ghostnotes. 10/14/19 10:44 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,520
Posts2,879,182
Members94,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission