Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
86 registered members (ArturC, 36251, AndrewJCW, amyram, anotherscott, accordeur, andrea monza, 27 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: PianoCats] #2854626
06/01/19 01:58 PM
06/01/19 01:58 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by PianoCats
Thanks Tyrone! I’m going to a local symphony concert this evening, but will definitely try your suggestions this weekend. My iPad is still getting new iOS updates and plays music just fine from other sources, so agree with you that it should work.

Enjoy your concert.

Yours is definitely not as old as my previous one then, so as long as there isn't a hardware issue with the audio, it should work. Especially when restored to a pristine, factory settings-only, state.

Originally Posted by PianoCats
OT: How are you liking the iPad Pro? Did you get it for the ability to handle music scores? Even if for another reason, have you tried it with music scores? And if so, how do you like it?

Thanks, Kathy

I was seriously considering getting a GVIDO for scores. However, I needed a replacement for my iPad anyways - not only was my old one no longer getting IOS updates and apps were no longer functioning that needed newer releases of IOS, but it also has a cracked screen that small pieces of glass fall out of occasionally. shocked So, as mentioned in the link above, I'm in a period of testing to see if the iPad Pro will be suitable for scores using forScore, and if so, I will get a second one, have a pair of 3-D hinges printed, and have made my own highly functional GVIDO grin If not, then I will use this iPad Pro for my day-to-day and buy a GVIDO anyways. But maybe not right away. I have a big screen monitor above my piano and have been reading scores off my monitor.

I have tried forScore. It's a bit clunky and I am only figuring it out now. In particular, I haven't yet gotten the method of transferring scores to it working, so for my testing, I spent another $10 or so and bought all of the scores the forScore company offered as an "add-on" for the app.

With these, I then tested playing from those scores, using the forScore app. So far, it's worked well. However, I don't have a pedal for page turning. I need to research a bit to see which pedal is one that I can rest my foot on it and doesn't turn the page unless I stomp. Many pedals are not that way and are too sensitive. A pedal that was too sensitive would not work for me. It's also possible I might be able to program one of the other two pedals on my N1X for page turning. Will be investigating this before I buy a page-turning pedal.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2854871
06/02/19 10:16 AM
06/02/19 10:16 AM
Saratoga, CA
Meaghanw Offline
Meaghanw  Offline

Saratoga, CA
No need to print 3-D hinges. ForScores’ Cue app connects 2 iPads nicely. Worth checking out.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2854904
06/02/19 12:46 PM
06/02/19 12:46 PM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
500 Post Club Member
akc42  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just outside London UK
I've just bought myself an iPad pro - mainly for my business, but it has the benefit that it also works with forScore (and I bought some blue tooth play turner pedals also https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XPV2GYW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) I also spent some time figuring out how to best use Piano Marvel with it and ended up buying two crucial accessories.

1. A Usb Hub https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GPC9HMF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This lets me charge the iPad at the same time providing usb A socket for Usb cable from piano and a usb A socket for ...

2. A usb to headphone (and as it happens microphone) sockets https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016CU2PEU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which connects the output from piano marvel back into my Piano's Line in.

Regarding forScore.

I still prefer paper, but it will be a lot easier when I go visit my daughter to have all my scores with me in one package. The size of the screen is good and I can definitely see and play from it easily, and with the page turner near my left foot its a doddle to change page. I tend to memorise pieces, so I normally only need the music occasionally, only for pieces that are starting to slip through my fingers.

I also added the Mutopia music add ons. So far I started to use it for Chopin Nocturne Op9 No2, only to find a weird natural sign were I didn't expect it - it appeared to be a D natural. I checked the Mutopia web site and on there it showed it as an E natural (in a chord containing both). E natural was correct and was only a repetition of a natural already designated in the measure - so wasn't actually in the paper score (ABRSM Signature Series) that I was using. I raised a support request with forScore and got a sloping shoulder response that the PDF framework they were using wasn't too accurate and a work around was to use my notation pen to put a white blob over it.

One thing I discovered though is there is a free FTP Manager app which allows me to connect ssh into my desktop (linux) and I can suck PDFs from there and load them into forScore. I create much of my music in Musescore anyway to load into Piano Marvel, so its a dead easy to make a PDF from it, which I can load in. Did that with Bach's Adagio BWV 974 for instance.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Meaghanw] #2854908
06/02/19 12:58 PM
06/02/19 12:58 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Meaghanw
No need to print 3-D hinges. ForScores’ Cue app connects 2 iPads nicely. Worth checking out.

Oh yes, I'm about to try out the Cue app to connect my new iPad Pro with my old iPad and see if that works. If it works, then I will get another iPad.

The 3-D hinge is a physical form factor thing. Like the GVIDO, I'd like the two pages to be physically connected to each other for convenience - like a book! So the 3-D hinge is not a Cue replacement - it is only a physical embodiment tweak.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2854911
06/02/19 01:08 PM
06/02/19 01:08 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Thanks for confirming, John and Tyrone. I wonder how to get in touch with Pianist Magazine to let them know?
This page has their contact info (click the appropriate "contact us" link). Are you going to jot them a quick note?
I could, but if you would like to, I will defer to you, as you are more technologically advanced than I am lol!

OK. I submitted bug reports both to the Web Help contact and the Online Editor.

I got this message back from the online editor yesterday about issue #108:
Thank you for making us aware of this! I have passed your information on to our tech team who will look into fixing it as soon as they can.

Thanks,

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2854916
06/02/19 02:11 PM
06/02/19 02:11 PM
Northern VA, U.S.
ClsscLib Offline

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
ClsscLib  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Northern VA, U.S.
FWIW, I downloaded issue 108 on the Pianist Magazine app on my iPad Pro last night and it played the recordings without difficulty.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: ClsscLib] #2854923
06/02/19 02:29 PM
06/02/19 02:29 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by ClsscLib
FWIW, I downloaded issue 108 on the Pianist Magazine app on my iPad Pro last night and it played the recordings without difficulty.

Can you try the Turk Allegramente in B flat and press the play and see what happens for you?

I re-downloaded the issue this morning on the Pianist Magazine app and it is still broken.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2855057
06/02/19 10:16 PM
06/02/19 10:16 PM
Northern VA, U.S.
ClsscLib Offline

ClsscLib  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Northern VA, U.S.

Can you try the Turk Allegramente in B flat and press the play and see what happens for you?

I re-downloaded the issue this morning on the Pianist Magazine app and it is still broken.

Nothing happens when I click on the "Play Track" arrow in the upper left hand corner of the page, but the tune plays perfectly when selected from the pulldown menu of recorded music produced by clicking on the eighth note symbol when in the "browsing" mode (small versions of four or so pages shown at the bottom of the page that allow you to swipe back and forth through the issue).

[Linked Image]

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: ClsscLib] #2855072
06/02/19 11:17 PM
06/02/19 11:17 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Nothing happens when I click on the "Play Track" arrow in the upper left hand corner of the page, but the tune plays perfectly when selected from the pulldown menu of recorded music produced by clicking on the eighth note symbol when in the "browsing" mode (small versions of four or so pages shown at the bottom of the page that allow you to swipe back and forth through the issue).

OK. So it is working for you because you are using the alternate way of playing the tracks. But it does seem like the normal way of clicking on the "Play Track" button in the upper left is indeed also broken for you.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2855108
06/03/19 06:20 AM
06/03/19 06:20 AM
United Kingdom
P
Pianist magazine Offline
Pianist magazine  Offline
P

United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're so sorry that you are having problems with issue 108. This shouldn't be happening! Rest assured, we are in contact with both the design team and the PocketMags team right now. The bug should be fixed very shortly.

Once again, big apologies for any inconvenience caused. We hope you are enjoying the rest of the magazine smile

Helping you become a better player
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2855112
06/03/19 06:36 AM
06/03/19 06:36 AM
United Kingdom
P
Pianist magazine Offline
Pianist magazine  Offline
P

United Kingdom
The issue has now been solved! Please delete and redownload your issue to get it working again.

Helping you become a better player
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianist magazine] #2855114
06/03/19 06:55 AM
06/03/19 06:55 AM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Pianist magazine
The issue has now been solved! Please delete and redownload your issue to get it working again.

I re-downloaded and it appears to work now. Thanks for the quick response! thumb

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2855179
06/03/19 12:44 PM
06/03/19 12:44 PM
Northern VA, U.S.
ClsscLib Offline

ClsscLib  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Northern VA, U.S.

OK. So it is working for you because you are using the alternate way of playing the tracks. But it does seem like the normal way of clicking on the "Play Track" button in the upper left is indeed also broken for you.

I actually prefer that method of accessing the recordings, so to me it's not an "alternate way." But that's what I got last night.

[Linked Image]

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2868886
07/12/19 11:54 PM
07/12/19 11:54 PM
A
Arcflash Offline
Arcflash  Offline
A

Has anyone received the hard copy of issue 108? Still hasn't arrived for me.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2868931
07/13/19 09:48 AM
07/13/19 09:48 AM
Midwest US
E
ElaineAllegro Online content

Silver Subscriber
ElaineAllegro  Online Content

Silver Subscriber
E

Midwest US
Yes, received issue #108 over a week ago by mail in Chicago (where the mail is generally slow). Menahem Pressler is the featured pianist.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2868962
07/13/19 12:08 PM
07/13/19 12:08 PM
A
Arcflash Offline
Arcflash  Offline
A

I'm in Oregon and still waiting. I'll have to call Express Mags

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Arcflash] #2869024
07/13/19 04:13 PM
07/13/19 04:13 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
Qwerty53  Offline

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020

Salish Sea
I received Pianist no. 108 in western Washington state a week or so ago. Good luck!

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2869091
07/13/19 09:40 PM
07/13/19 09:40 PM
UK
G
GIJack Offline
GIJack  Offline
G

UK
Thanks for reminding me! I live in the UK, received mine a while ago, but somehow haven't opened it yet.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2869112
07/14/19 12:49 AM
07/14/19 12:49 AM
A
Arcflash Offline
Arcflash  Offline
A

Just got it today! Boy takes a long time from first availability to now. Pushing a month and a half.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2871834
07/23/19 10:18 AM
07/23/19 10:18 AM
S
sherrycherrysc Offline
sherrycherrysc  Offline
S

I love it! I use their YouTube channel A LOT!

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
lead sheet - Someday We'll All Be Free
by seniorblues. 10/14/19 04:30 PM
Brahms, Op. 76, No. 3, Opinions
by BruceD. 10/14/19 03:02 PM
Baldwin Piano 245
by gentlebreeze. 10/14/19 02:35 PM
Anybody do LRCM or LRSM?
by spk. 10/14/19 01:41 PM
Stretches in the middle registers
by Ghostnotes. 10/14/19 10:44 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,520
Posts2,879,172
Members94,657
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission