2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 45 of 46 1 2 43 44 45 46
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pierluigi
Hi guys. I need to select many different piano to play for know what i need. The most i. Portant thing for me is the bast action and dynamic. I need a high level for study at home and continue in a school on a grandpiano my work and than i need to be accurate for select the best in the middle high money range. Actually the best picks are ca98 vs lx706. Idk if yamaha or casio have a big duellist in this range. An other things: if i want try to level up for my money maybe with a used digital piano what i need to play? My budget range actually is 4/5000 but i can level up to 6000. Unfortunately digital piano action it seems better than upgright piano with sylent system.

With that budget you can get a top-tier digital piano. But if you are indeed looking for the best action then you should consider an hybrid piano. You basically have three options on the market: the Yamaha NU1X (upright action) plus the Yamaha N1X and Kawai NV10 (both with grand piano action). The NU1X is within your budget. The other two are above. However, you may be able get an Yamaha N1 (previous version of the new N1X) within your budget, depending on your location. However, you would have to pair the N1 with a VST. Any of these are on whole different realm than top-tiers digitals like the Kawai CA98, Roland LX708 or Yamaha CLP-685.

P
P
Hi all,

Recently I was at the piano/keyboard shop and they had the full Yamaha CLP600 and Roland LX700 series side by side. I was able to compare the sounds and feel of each digital piano very well. It is really difficult to describe the sound but me and the salesman both agreed that the Roland digital piano's sounded 'far away', as compared to the Yamaha's. It felt like a flaw in sound quality. The (honest) salesman also told me there where complains about this and Roland will released a software upgrade to fix this 'problem'. Does anyone recognize this?

I was mainly comparing the CLP-675 with LX706 but I felt the same for the whole series.

Thanks,
Pieter

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
No problem with sound at all, it was awesome, I've played without any software update.

Roland LX708
M
M
Hi Pieter, as LX706 owner I certainly recognise this "far away" feeling when playing through headphones. This is something I already noticed with the previous generation. I hope they fix it!

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Nonsense. The LX708 sounds great and is an improvement over the prior generation. The longer keys is also a welcomed improvement.

Mauw #2840095 04/17/19 08:14 AM
P
P
Hi Mauw,

I actually only tried _without_ headphones. I should have tried that as well. Don't get me wrong, both CLP and LX series sounded great but while doing the side by side comparison I noticed the LX series sounded 'far away' as compared to the CLP. I'm pretty sure I would barely be able to notice this if I didn't have both pianos side by side. I'm not sure if this is just a matter of taste...

R
R
What do you guys mean by 'far away'?

Is it not just ambience you are hearing, which can be adjusted? Maybe the Ambience is set up for Cathedral instead of Studio or Lounge? smile

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
As A fresh 706 owner I agree that the acoustic sound has its flaws. It sounds boxy and from “behind” the piano instead of more direct or realistic. I expected much better . Since I cannot get the 708 because of stairs etc , I thought the 06 wouldn’t be far off in speaker sound, but it is not as good as I expected. Funny thing is , if you crank up the brilliance a bit it is much better . As if the sound projection filter separation between the loudspeaker s and the eq settings are not well chosen or optimized for the 06. Me guess they didn’t do any specific settings for the 06 to get a more direct and realistic less boxy sound, but just go with the general settings for the 708 and apply that to the whole series. Shame - even playing music over the system (forgoing the sound projection settings for the piano presets) is much more brilliant , direct and less boxy. So it IS possible to get a better sound but due to the lack of user adjustments to eq settings , sound projection parameters and bypassing the my-stage settings (or dialing it to zero!) there’s nothing you can do as an owner. Shame - its a missed opportunity. If Roland is listening please fix this or at least give us the tools / settings to fix this , starting with eq settings and bypassing the my-stage processing which makes the sound indirect as well over speakers. Let us turn it of when we are in a real room; no need for an added virtual space. Thanks !

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
You can always add some audio monitors to increase clarity but I don't know how much space you are missing for them to fit on top of the piano.

Roland LX708
JFP #2840248 04/17/19 04:23 PM
P
P
JFP,

'from behind' and 'boxy' sound, I agree. What is your experience with headphones on? Have you tried the most recent software upgrade (only new weeks old)?

T
T
Originally Posted by pieter1234
JFP,

'from behind' and 'boxy' sound, I agree. What is your experience with headphones on? Have you tried the most recent software upgrade (only new weeks old)?

Did you try while using headphones to crank ambience depth to only 1-2?

Also, I recommend you trying European V2 with soundboard 5, brilliance 2, lid 5 . For me it made a huge difference. I just cannot go back to the default sound now smile

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile
Criticism is welcomed since it helps improving and going forward!

Yamaha P-105 -> Roland HP-605 -> Roland LX708
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I had to change almost all the notes character for "+2" and brilliance for "+2" to get rid of the boxy sound (Eoropean grand 2, sounboard 5).

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi , just to make it clear- I have problems with the sound over the speaker system . Not so much over headphones. Although I do indeed always tweak the settings on every digital. For some reason factory sounds never cut it and need to be adjusted. Pretty weird if you think of it ; sure there’s a matter of taste , but in terms of realism the default sounds are usually far from perfect and can easily be tweaked to sound more authentic. Seems manufacturers have a bias for overly processed or bombastic sounds. I don’t need tons of ambiance effects to start with when the piano is already in a real room with its own room acoustics. Rather have the option to turn it all off for the sound over speakers. Which is not even possible with the my stage processing of the 700 series. Weird! So sound over speakers is indirect en boxy and “from behind” the piano without the tools to adjust it. Sound on headphone is easily made acceptable .

JFP #2869053 07/13/19 06:37 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by JFP
As A fresh 706 owner I agree that the acoustic sound has its flaws. It sounds boxy and from “behind” the piano instead of more direct or realistic. I expected much better . Since I cannot get the 708 because of stairs etc , I thought the 06 wouldn’t be far off in speaker sound, but it is not as good as I expected. Funny thing is , if you crank up the brilliance a bit it is much better . As if the sound projection filter separation between the loudspeaker s and the eq settings are not well chosen or optimized for the 06. Me guess they didn’t do any specific settings for the 06 to get a more direct and realistic less boxy sound, but just go with the general settings for the 708 and apply that to the whole series. Shame - even playing music over the system (forgoing the sound projection settings for the piano presets) is much more brilliant , direct and less boxy. So it IS possible to get a better sound but due to the lack of user adjustments to eq settings , sound projection parameters and bypassing the my-stage settings (or dialing it to zero!) there’s nothing you can do as an owner. Shame - its a missed opportunity. If Roland is listening please fix this or at least give us the tools / settings to fix this , starting with eq settings and bypassing the my-stage processing which makes the sound indirect as well over speakers. Let us turn it of when we are in a real room; no need for an added virtual space. Thanks !

Fully agree. I, too, am noticing that the overall sound quality of the main piano models have a "distant" character to them and I'm not impressed. I can hear it with headphones, but it's especially bad through the speakers (though I have not applied the latest firmware yet). I have done a lot of experimentation with the Piano Designer and cannot seem to minimize this to an acceptable level. Studio or Lounge on a low level help but it's still there. Oddly, the HP605 (previous gen) I tested seemed to have a fuller less "distant" sound quality. Roland should add the ability to adjust EQ or something to help with this. Until then, I would implore anyone looking for digital pianos to think twice about the new LX's if native piano sound quality is important to you. Everything else is pretty much fantastic, though.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Recordings of new LX series pianos sounding through speakers are rare, so, I've made one (may be it will be useful for those interested in how built-in speakers sound)

Last edited by PianoStartsAt33; 09/14/19 05:52 AM.

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
One wayto add EQ to a DP:

. . Feed "line out" to an outboard stereo graphic (or parametric) EQ (DBX, Behringer, etc);

. . Feed the EQ'd signal to "line in" so it plays through the DP's loudspeakers.

Not terribly expensive, and you might be able to rent gear to try it out.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
One wayto add EQ to a DP:

. . Feed "line out" to an outboard stereo graphic (or parametric) EQ (DBX, Behringer, etc);

. . Feed the EQ'd signal to "line in" so it plays through the DP's loudspeakers.

Not terribly expensive, and you might be able to rent gear to try it out.

That would require to mute the normal built-in speaker sound, so the original signal goes only through the line out (and not the speakers), but at the same time have the speakers play whatever signal comes in on line in. Is that possible?
Otherwise you get a mix of the original sound and the EQed sound. Or is that what you meant?

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by JoBert
. . .
That would require to mute the normal built-in speaker sound, so the original signal goes only through the line out (and not the speakers), but at the same time have the speakers play whatever signal comes in on line in. Is that possible?
Otherwise you get a mix of the original sound and the EQed sound. Or is that what you meant?

I was thinking about that, as I wrote.<g>

Every outboard EQ has an "overall gain" knob. And most DP's have a "Line In Gain" knob (or menu setting).

So what I'd do:

. . . have _both_ sounds play through the DP's loudspeakers;

. . . Adjust the balance between them:

. . . . . For mostly "unadjusted" sound, set the DP's volume control to its normal level;
. . . . . . . adjust the EQ's "overall gain" and/or "Line In Gain" to add some EQ'ed sound through the loudspeakers.

. . . . . For mostly "EQ'ed" sound, set the DP's volume control lower (but not to 0!),
. . . . . . . and increase the EQ's "overall gain" and/or "Line In Gain" to boost the amount of equalized sound, that's
. . . . . . . coming out of the speakers.

So you'd always have _a little bit_ of un-equalized sound coming through the loudspeakers. In practice, the range of the gain controls is enough so that you could cut the DP's volume to (say) 15 dB less than "full volume", and boost the signal in the EQ box.

You're right -- life would be easier if the makers would let us re-wire the internal connections of the DP:

. . . route the internal sound-generator to the EQ box, and _not_ to the DP's loudspeakers;

. . . route the output of the EQ box to the loudspeakers.

I think it's criminal that decent EQ functionality (all done in DSP firmware, now!) isn't built into every mid-price and higher DP. Why should "stage pianos" get all the good stuff?

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
T
T
Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33
Recordings of new LX series pianos sounding through speakers are rare, so, I've made one (may be it will be useful for those interested in how built-in speakers sound)

May I ask if you still use the previous speaker setting or the Dynamic one which was added with firmware update? It seems like your piano has lot of brightness in it which I quite like, but it may be only because of the recording. smile

Other than that, I hope you enjoy your Roland Piano as much as I do.

www.youtube.com/channel/UC073i6RnxK4NcnoFp1jYh7Q The place where I ocasionally post my amateur recordings smile
Criticism is welcomed since it helps improving and going forward!

Yamaha P-105 -> Roland HP-605 -> Roland LX708
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Hi,

I’m in the market for a home DP and really like the look of the LX-series and everything seems pretty good about them. I’m mostly looking at the 706 or 708 and might just go with the 708.

Just reading now about the issue with the sound feeling far away. Did Roland fix this yet with a FW update as hinted or is this still present? Is this an issue on all LX or mostly on the 706?

Page 45 of 46 1 2 43 44 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission