Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
89 registered members (accordeur, AndrewJCW, ArturC, 36251, amyram, anotherscott, Brendan, andrea monza, 26 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New teacher suggests we get a better piano [Re: Mshepard83] #2868892
07/13/19 01:16 AM
07/13/19 01:16 AM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
I've had little to do with Digital pianos for students - but an issue I had with one student I did some short-term mentoring with, was that the volume was always turned down soft at home (I heard later that it was Mum who did that - the louder he played, the more she turned it down) and the student played quite "hard" to try to make enough sound to satisfy his instincts. But when the teenager came to a real piano, he couldn't control it because he was so used to "thumping" because that was what he did at home. I didn't have much to do with him after that - but his Mum agreed to let it be played at a reasonable volume.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: New teacher suggests we get a better piano [Re: backto_study_piano] #2868895
07/13/19 01:49 AM
07/13/19 01:49 AM
Sweden
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
I've had little to do with Digital pianos for students - but an issue I had with one student I did some short-term mentoring with, was that the volume was always turned down soft at home (I heard later that it was Mum who did that - the louder he played, the more she turned it down) and the student played quite "hard" to try to make enough sound to satisfy his instincts. But when the teenager came to a real piano, he couldn't control it because he was so used to "thumping" because that was what he did at home. I didn't have much to do with him after that - but his Mum agreed to let it be played at a reasonable volume.

Mum could have bought a pair of headphones for him instead!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: New teacher suggests we get a better piano [Re: outo] #2868935
07/13/19 09:56 AM
07/13/19 09:56 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by outo
Unless the sound is the issue (neighbours), an upright really does not take up much more space than a good digital with a proper case with built in pedals. A piano keyboard is always the same in length, so it's not possible to make them less wide.

But a very good digital that feels like an acoustic grand to play costs a lot. I just went piano shopping for fun and the one Yamaha digital that I would have bought to replace my Roland was over 8000euros. That's the price of a decent used baby grand (if one gets lucky) or a good new upright here.

I think to get a decent baby grand at that price you need to know pianos well yourself, to view various duds before that bargain is found. That will probably mean having your teacher or a piano technician to come and view multiple pianos with you and know what potential problems to look for. There is risk in evaluating in both digital and acoustic pianos but I think acoustics significantly more so.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: New teacher suggests we get a better piano [Re: KevinM] #2868942
07/13/19 10:36 AM
07/13/19 10:36 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
Originally Posted by KevinM
Originally Posted by outo
Unless the sound is the issue (neighbours), an upright really does not take up much more space than a good digital with a proper case with built in pedals. A piano keyboard is always the same in length, so it's not possible to make them less wide.

But a very good digital that feels like an acoustic grand to play costs a lot. I just went piano shopping for fun and the one Yamaha digital that I would have bought to replace my Roland was over 8000euros. That's the price of a decent used baby grand (if one gets lucky) or a good new upright here.

I think to get a decent baby grand at that price you need to know pianos well yourself, to view various duds before that bargain is found. That will probably mean having your teacher or a piano technician to come and view multiple pianos with you and know what potential problems to look for. There is risk in evaluating in both digital and acoustic pianos but I think acoustics significantly more so.

Well, I bought mine at a bargain...of course not expecting to never have any issues with it.
I do not actually need the expensive digital, I already have 3 pianos. But it did feel very good to play.

Re: New teacher suggests we get a better piano [Re: Mshepard83] #2868950
07/13/19 11:21 AM
07/13/19 11:21 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
I don't think we are going to hear back from the OP - but most threads seem to take on of a life of their own anyway.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: New teacher suggests we get a better piano [Re: Carey] #2868955
07/13/19 11:50 AM
07/13/19 11:50 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Carey
I don't think we are going to hear back from the OP - but most threads seem to take on of a life of their own anyway.

Completely off topic. I really like your Bunte Blätter Opus 99 No. 1 from your youtube channel. I've been learning it for some time and I think I play it quite nicely but it is still way too slow. Yours is the first recording where I felt it was played at the right speed, the recording I have for it by Maria João Pires is much too fast and has been little use with guiding me in how to play it.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
Re: New teacher suggests we get a better piano [Re: KevinM] #2868972
07/13/19 12:37 PM
07/13/19 12:37 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Completely off topic. I really like your Bunte Blätter Opus 99 No. 1 from your youtube channel. I've been learning it for some time and I think I play it quite nicely but it is still way too slow. Yours is the first recording where I felt it was played at the right speed, the recording I have for it by Maria João Pires is much too fast and has been little use with guiding me in how to play it.
Thank you Kevin. I appreciate the feedback. Actually I was introduced to this piece by another piano world member, Pathbreaker, late last year. Here's a link to the thread where he posted his recording and we discussed the challenges of the piece.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2786915/re-schumann-op-99-1.html#Post2786915

The Opus 99 No. 1 is not easy to play well, and I'm still not completely satisfied with my own recording (maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist - ha ha) - BUT I am very comfortable with the tempo I play it at, and agree that many professional recordings seem too fast.

If you follow Schumann's instructions at the beginning of the piece ...."Not fast, with intimacy of feeling" - you can't go wrong. smile

Cheers !!

Last edited by Carey; 07/13/19 12:42 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Re: New teacher suggests we get a better piano [Re: Carey] #2868983
07/13/19 01:01 PM
07/13/19 01:01 PM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Thank you Kevin. I appreciate the feedback. Actually I was introduced to this piece by another piano world member, Pathbreaker, late last year. Here's a link to the thread where he posted his recording and we discussed the challenges of the piece.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2786915/re-schumann-op-99-1.html#Post2786915

The Opus 99 No. 1 is not easy to play well, and I'm still not completely satisfied with my own recording (maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist - ha ha) - BUT I am very comfortable with the tempo I play it at, and agree that many professional recordings seem too fast.

If you follow Schumann's instructions at the beginning of the piece ...."Not fast, with intimacy of feeling" - you can't go wrong. smile
Cheers !!

Those hand jumps are hard, and especially so on those few occasions where both the left and right hand are making significant jumps. I can usually get one hand to land at the right place without hesitation by looking at the keyboard, but both at the same time. Really I can't aim for two different spots at the same time by looking at those spots beforehand.

It is a lovely little piece.

Re: New teacher suggests we get a better piano [Re: KevinM] #2869002
07/13/19 02:35 PM
07/13/19 02:35 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona

Cheers !!
Those hand jumps are hard, and especially so on those few occasions where both the left and right hand are making significant jumps. I can usually get one hand to land at the right place without hesitation by looking at the keyboard, but both at the same time. Really I can't aim for two different spots at the same time by looking at those spots beforehand.

It is a lovely little piece.
Lovely little piece indeed !! Looking at two destination points simultaneously on the keyboard does present a challenge. I've never memorized the piece, so I only peek at the keyboard for a couple of leaps - otherwise I simply play it by feel. I've found that practicing the broken chords as solid chords helps reinforce the changing hand positions.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Re: New teacher suggests we get a better piano [Re: KevinM] #2869042
07/13/19 05:21 PM
07/13/19 05:21 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

New York City
Try the following: While moving both hands focus on one leap most of the time and then look at the other hand. With practice, you will be able to hit the correct note with the first hand because you're actually doing a smaller blind leap with that hand.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
lead sheet - Someday We'll All Be Free
by seniorblues. 10/14/19 04:30 PM
Brahms, Op. 76, No. 3, Opinions
by BruceD. 10/14/19 03:02 PM
Baldwin Piano 245
by gentlebreeze. 10/14/19 02:35 PM
Anybody do LRCM or LRSM?
by spk. 10/14/19 01:41 PM
Stretches in the middle registers
by Ghostnotes. 10/14/19 10:44 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,520
Posts2,879,182
Members94,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission