Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
85 registered members (AndrewJCW, amyram, anotherscott, Brendan, accordeur, andrea monza, 36251, 27 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 499 of 505 1 2 497 498 499 500 501 504 505
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: facdo] #2862489
06/24/19 09:02 PM
06/24/19 09:02 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by facdo
I finished all 25 Burgmuller's progressive etudes, Op.100! My goal was to learn and record one etude every week and I actually made it! I am really happy now smile

Congrats, facdo! You've shown a stick-with-it-ness that is rare! I remember you saying how your piano teacher had objected initially to this exercise. What does she think about it now that you are done?

So tell us, thinking back on this 6 month effort, what concretely do you think this has done for your piano playing/learning?

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Parcival] #2862544
06/24/19 11:37 PM
06/24/19 11:37 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
Originally Posted by Parcival
Well, I can tell you what's next after today's lesson: I get to practice it again, only now I have to use pedals for the first time...
This will be fun, concentrating on the notes, my hands and the pedal at the same time. But I like the challenge!

Can you drive a stick shift? That skill might help!

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: facdo] #2862548
06/25/19 12:25 AM
06/25/19 12:25 AM
Sweden
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by facdo
I finished all 25 Burgmuller's progressive etudes, Op.100! My goal was to learn and record one etude every week and I actually made it! I am really happy now smile

Wow facdo, great job! You must have worked so hard! Which etude did you like the best? And have you started thinking about a new challenge to yourself?

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Animisha] #2863285
06/27/19 01:25 PM
06/27/19 01:25 PM
F
facdo Online content
facdo  Online Content
F

Originally Posted by Qwerty53
Sounds like you addressed this project systematically and with sustained attention. Way to go!

Thanks, I guess I did. Every Monday I would start a new piece and assign at least 30 minutes of my practice to it until I could play from start to finish around the right tempo. Saturday would be the day to solve any issues and bring it to speed, if I haven`t already, and every Sunday I would record it.

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Congrats, facdo! You've shown a stick-with-it-ness that is rare! I remember you saying how your piano teacher had objected initially to this exercise. What does she think about it now that you are done?

So tell us, thinking back on this 6-month effort, what concretely do you think this has done for your piano playing/learning?

Thank you, it felt really good to finish this project. The thing about my teacher is that he doesn`t recommend that I go pursuing pieces on my own, without his supervision. He was aware that I was doing it and at first he said something like: "do it at your own risk", but later, as I progressed through his method, I actually got him to help me with specific techniques required for some of the pieces. Also, I started applying what I've been learning with him into these pieces. I can see why my teacher advised me against working at those pieces on my own, since you may acquire bad habits by playing something with inefficient movements and the wrong technique. I think now that I have progressed through the basics that is not much of an issue, as long as I don't pick something too advanced.

About what I think this endeavor has done for my playing, well, a lot of things. To start, I got exposed to much more music than I have in my entire life, so my reading improved a lot. I am still quite terrible at sight reading, but I don't have to struggle to decipher the sheet-music and I got rid of that laziness in learning new pieces, that I used to have because my reading was so bad. Now it is fun to read new material, I am not intimidated by it anymore. Most pieces weren't technically challenging (but some were really beyond my level, No.12, 20, 23), but they made me much more aware of the musical aspects needed to convey a good interpretation. Because I wasn't struggling to play the notes (in most pieces), I could concentrate on the musical aspects. Because of my technical limitations, I wasn't able to really master any piece, but I think now I have much better control of dynamics, articulations and phrasing. Another thing is that I have a better understanding of the coordination of the arm, wrist and finger movements required for playing some specific passage more fluidly and with less tension. That was mostly as a result of the lessons with my teacher, but I was able to apply those concepts in the etudes as I progressed. I believe I got better at some of my technical weaknesses, like arpeggios, chords, and leaps, but I the best thing was to get exposed to several different techniques and having learned pieces that evoke different moods and emotions.

Originally Posted by Animisha
Wow facdo, great job! You must have worked so hard! Which etude did you like the best? And have you started thinking about a new challenge to yourself?

I did practice diligently, but actually, it was mostly fun. There were maybe just 3 pieces that I didn't really like and were more daunting, but the rest was very enjoyable. I think my absolute favorite is No.19, also No.13 which unfortunately I didn't make a very good recording (I will go back to that one). But there were many other pieces that I really liked: No. 10, 12 (which I couldn't play very well, I think it is the hardest piece in the set), 21 and 25. The ones I didn't like: No.9, 18 and 22, after learning them it was sort of enjoyable to play. No 20, 23 and 24 I actually have mixed feelings about, but I can't say I disliked them. Hats off to Burgmuller for composing these pieces, which sound very good and have a lot of pedagogical value.

Now, I want to keep learning at least one piece every week until the rest of the year. I was about to start another set of etudes, Concone's Op.24, which also has 25 pieces that are around the same level as Burgmuller's Op.100. After reading through a few pieces I am having second thoughts on this one. The pieces seem to be more technique oriented, instead of being lovely sounding pieces that explore some technique. Maybe I haven't got used to Concone's style, but I am not very excited about doing the whole set. I think I will just pick the pieces that I like the most and the ones that deal with techniques that I should work on. Then I will find other pieces to keep going with my "one piece per week challenge".

YouTube Channel with all my recordings and my piano progress.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2865184
07/02/19 02:58 PM
07/02/19 02:58 PM
S
snowfox Offline
snowfox  Offline
S

Well, my week didn't go as well a I planned, today was the first day to practice my "homework" since Friday, and my next lesson will be on Thursday... But I keep polishing the piece for the next recital! By the way - does anyone know, if there will be any recital in August? As far as I know it should be held then, but I haven't noticed any "Brace yourself, the recital starts only in one month!" thread.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: snowfox] #2865193
07/02/19 03:12 PM
07/02/19 03:12 PM
Denmark
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
QuasiUnaFantasia  Offline

Denmark
Originally Posted by snowfox
By the way - does anyone know, if there will be any recital in August? As far as I know it should be held then, but I haven't noticed any "Brace yourself, the recital starts only in one month!" thread.

It's in the middle of the month, so there is more than one month to go. I hope. I really, really hope! smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28, Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2), Garritan CFX Lite
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2865195
07/02/19 03:20 PM
07/02/19 03:20 PM
S
snowfox Offline
snowfox  Offline
S

Oh, I thought the recital starts on the 1st of the month.
Or the "warning post" is one month before the deadline of the recital? I thought it was one month before the start of the uploading period.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2865399
07/03/19 05:47 AM
07/03/19 05:47 AM
Costa del Sol
SwissMS Offline

2000 Post Club Member
SwissMS  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

Costa del Sol
My AOTW- I am back on the piano bench! We sold our apartment and moved out April 23. That was my last day of piano. We moved into a hotel for what we thought would be two weeks, but the deal on the house that we were buying fell through. We finally moved into our new house June 20, and my piano was delivered the 25th. So - after more than two months, I am playing again!

My fingers feel very weak and sluggish, but I am sure it will come back soon. I am starting with easy short pieces, and starting to work my way back up. I will start back with my teacher in a week. It sure feels good to be playing again!!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS] #2865419
07/03/19 07:20 AM
07/03/19 07:20 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by SwissMS
My AOTW- I am back on the piano bench! We sold our apartment and moved out April 23. That was my last day of piano. We moved into a hotel for what we thought would be two weeks, but the deal on the house that we were buying fell through. We finally moved into our new house June 20, and my piano was delivered the 25th. So - after more than two months, I am playing again!

My fingers feel very weak and sluggish, but I am sure it will come back soon. I am starting with easy short pieces, and starting to work my way back up. I will start back with my teacher in a week. It sure feels good to be playing again!!

Great news!

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS] #2865450
07/03/19 09:14 AM
07/03/19 09:14 AM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
500 Post Club Member
Palmpirate  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

B.C.Canada
[quote=SwissMS]. So - after more than two months, I am playing again]
And I think 10 days is too long. Moving is such an upheaval. I got back from a trip to visit family in CO and still after two weeks can’t get back into my practice routine. I find it so frustrating it sets me even further back, but I will just go s.l.o.w.......Glad o hear you have settle back in!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS] #2866180
07/05/19 04:53 AM
07/05/19 04:53 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
F
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
FarmGirl  Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

2000 Post Club Member
F

Scottsdale, AZ
Doris, nice to see your post today. We are in northern Italy now until Sunday then go back to Lucerne. I haven’t been worked out any challenging pieces lately but keeping at reading music as much as possible. Work (=supporting families, mine, my mom and hubby’s mom) took priority and could not go through any of my prior plans, music school, piano exams etc.. But I’m hanging on. Hope to see you again.

1) Bach c minor fantasy
2) Morzart Rondo in A minor, K511
3) Schubert Impromptu A flat D935 No2
4) Scriabin op11 prelude #2 and #14 (Re do #2, new #14)
5) kabalevsky Variations in A minor OP 40-2
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2868740
07/12/19 12:47 PM
07/12/19 12:47 PM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
500 Post Club Member
Pianoperformance  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Bach Invention 9: page 1 - played with confidence. Page 2: fingering resolved, played it through slooowly many times, now working to play page 2 equally as confident as page 1. Why is this an achievement that i am proud of? The time taken to achieve where I am has shortened dramatically. I am more focused, I am able to discern where the problem notes are, how to slow practice, and loop. I realized that an ‘endurance’ mindset is what keeps me focused. Just trust the process of practice, self assessment, and humble to go back to problem areas before moving on. And thanks to teacher!

Last edited by Pianoperformance; 07/12/19 12:48 PM.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2868959
07/13/19 12:00 PM
07/13/19 12:00 PM
New York
M
Medved1 Offline
Medved1  Offline
M

New York
Pianoperformance, this is inspiring! You are accomplishing what I am trying to do also. I will try to follow your good example.

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2868977
07/13/19 12:47 PM
07/13/19 12:47 PM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

Medved1..thank you. It took me a long time to realize that time spent on familiarizing each measure was time well spent. My teacher asked me to keep a post performance journal [instead of what am I going to practice journal]; so I have the good, bad and ugly columns..ha, it helped me see that I do improve and it allowed me to honest where the ‘ugly’ was happening! No judgement.

If there were 3 things to take away:
1. Incorporate Slow practice even when you know the measures
2. Loop, one hand, both hands..keep looping the new/problem measure
3. Check in early on with metronome once you have the fingering worked out. [be okay that some measures that you will change the fingering as you get more familiar with the flow]
You got this!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2869451
07/15/19 09:25 AM
07/15/19 09:25 AM
F
facdo Online content
facdo  Online Content
F

I played for an audience of strangers for the first time this Saturday, at a recital hosted by my teacher for his students. It is crazy different to play live for strangers, I was really nervous but I think it went really well. I didn't make a recording of the recital, but I wanted to keep a memory of this day, so I recorded my recital program at home (here is the video on YouTube, in case anyone is interested). I've been practicing these pieces for almost a month, but now I am glad that it is over and I can move on. Next one will be in December. It is so good that my teacher hosts these recitals, otherwise I would never perform for other people.

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: facdo] #2869570
07/15/19 03:21 PM
07/15/19 03:21 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline

Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
Facdo, I listened to your recording and you did a great job! All one take, and it sounded excellent!

Coincidences: I played the Schumann Melodie last year at MY first performance with my current teacher, and the second movement of the Clementi sonata at another performance last fall (I have played the other movements, but not for anyone but my teacher; love that 3d movement, don't you?). I'm pretty sure I have the sheet music for your Bach piece somewhere....!

My teacher holds what she calls "performance class" and I call "piano party" about three times a year, when 10 or 12 of her adult students play for one another and then we drink wine and eat snacks and have great conversations. The first time was scary (who am I kidding? it is scary every time!) but it is such a great group and the experience is so interesting that I look forward to each one.

Thanks for sharing your performance!

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Qwerty53] #2869954
07/16/19 09:37 PM
07/16/19 09:37 PM
F
facdo Online content
facdo  Online Content
F

Originally Posted by Qwerty53
Facdo, I listened to your recording and you did a great job! All one take, and it sounded excellent!

Coincidences: I played the Schumann Melodie last year at MY first performance with my current teacher, and the second movement of the Clementi sonata at another performance last fall (I have played the other movements, but not for anyone but my teacher; love that 3d movement, don't you?). I'm pretty sure I have the sheet music for your Bach piece somewhere....!

My teacher holds what she calls "performance class" and I call "piano party" about three times a year, when 10 or 12 of her adult students play for one another and then we drink wine and eat snacks and have great conversations. The first time was scary (who am I kidding? it is scary every time!) but it is such a great group and the experience is so interesting that I look forward to each one.

Thanks for sharing your performance!

Thank you!
The pieces that I played were recommended by my teacher and I think he gives them to all his beginner students. They have great pedagogical value and are well known by teachers all over the world, so it is no wonder that a lot of piano students come across them at some point in their music journey.
These "piano parties" that you mentioned sounds like a lot of fun, despite the fact that playing live for other people is scary (I think that is universal). I wish my recital had wine and snacks afterward. Maybe I can suggest that for the next one at the end of the year smile

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2875385
08/02/19 06:06 PM
08/02/19 06:06 PM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

Yeah! Bach Invention 9. Signed off. Tempo: 77 . My best Bach piece yet. Although all of bach’s Inventions have been teaching pieces in one form or another. This is one piece that is playable for recital. I have halved the time it normally takes me to learn an Invention, this one took less than 2 months [teacher recommends That i learn 2 pieces at one time, second piece is Fur Elise].

Recognized the following areas for improvement: 1 HS with metronome - on repeat until it becomes second nature [to Improve tempo and relaxed playing] 2. RH legato and LH staccatos

Yeah, whilst I am beginning to realize the importance of playing Bach - it has been a long road from resistance to *sign* “it’s good for me and patient practice does pay off.”

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2875395
08/02/19 06:20 PM
08/02/19 06:20 PM
UK
Peter Hontaru Offline
Peter Hontaru  Offline

UK
I am now on holiday but very happy that I finally finished editing a video that I've been trying to do for a while.. it's kind of like a journey of a piece from my own bedroom to a live recital for amateurs smile

https://youtu.be/92_jiShhN5w

I started playing at the beginning of 2018.
Having achieved ABRSM distinction in my first year, I am now preparing to take Grade 5 mid November 2019.

Here's a link to my first year progress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAhpMS0483o&t=65s
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2879205
08/13/19 12:47 PM
08/13/19 12:47 PM
P
Parcival Offline
Parcival  Offline
P

My teacher gave me my first "real" piece of music, an Allemande by Beethoven (WoO 81) and I'm finally able to play the whole thing. Not up to tempo, but I can get through.
Now to work on tempo and dynamics...

Page 499 of 505 1 2 497 498 499 500 501 504 505

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
lead sheet - Someday We'll All Be Free
by seniorblues. 10/14/19 04:30 PM
Brahms, Op. 76, No. 3, Opinions
by BruceD. 10/14/19 03:02 PM
Baldwin Piano 245
by gentlebreeze. 10/14/19 02:35 PM
Anybody do LRCM or LRSM?
by spk. 10/14/19 01:41 PM
Stretches in the middle registers
by Ghostnotes. 10/14/19 10:44 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,520
Posts2,879,172
Members94,657
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission