Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
89 registered members (AndrewJCW, ArturC, 36251, amyram, anotherscott, accordeur, andrea monza, 27 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
PopJazzOnline Anyone ? #2592912
12/07/16 06:54 PM
12/07/16 06:54 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
I have come upon a website ....

https://www.popjazzonline.com/

I can find nothing about it anywhere except on his site(s).

Anyone here know anything about it ?

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: PopJazzOnline Anyone ? [Re: dmd] #2593260
12/08/16 09:24 PM
12/08/16 09:24 PM
Upstate New York, USA
N
newbert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
newbert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

Upstate New York, USA
Never heard of it before, so have no first-hand knowledge.

But, after looking thru the website and watching the video, I wasn't too impressed. IMO - two of the four views in his lesson videos are useless, the slow-down feature that he demonstrated appeared blurry to me, and it's a bit pricey for what appears to be a maximum of three lessons/month (only one new lesson provided to you every ten days).

Just my opinion.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: PopJazzOnline Anyone ? [Re: dmd] #2593558
12/10/16 06:07 AM
12/10/16 06:07 AM
thailand
J
john fh Offline
john fh  Offline
J

thailand
I just found about them the other day while looking for Bossa Nova learning material. Today I downloaded there free Bossa Nova Exercises by Gjermund Silvertsen. I will hold off on comments about them until I learn more. Let me just say, being the cheap skate (poor man) that I am I download free material that they use as a hook to get new students. Then between a great forum like this and U-Tube I get mostly free lessons. I occasionally have to purchase a book. I am getting brave so I now want to add some jazz, mostly stride and bassa nova to my playing ability.

Re: PopJazzOnline Anyone ? [Re: newbert] #2593604
12/10/16 11:20 AM
12/10/16 11:20 AM
Israel
N
Nahum Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Nahum  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
N

Israel
Originally Posted by newbert
Never heard of it before, so have no first-hand knowledge.

But, after looking thru the website and watching the video, I wasn't too impressed.
I also don't know anything about this site. However, from my experience, at numerous meetings with Scandinavian jazz and pop musicians and students have always been impressed by their high level of professionalism; and this applies to all instruments . So confident that the above-mentioned online school is also on a high professional level.
BTW, my first jazz lessons on the air (Internet didn't exist yet) was in the 60s from Swedish radio station Radio Nord.

Last edited by Nahum; 12/10/16 11:21 AM.
Re: PopJazzOnline Anyone ? [Re: dmd] #2593637
12/10/16 01:57 PM
12/10/16 01:57 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Well, I have subscribed to the basic level.

What I now know is that it is not for beginners. It is for intermediate or at least late beginners.

I will leave any other comments for after I have experienced at least the first 3 lessons (20 days from now). That will give me a some idea of the quality of the product.

So, for anyone interested I will post my take on it at that time.

Last edited by dmd; 12/10/16 01:58 PM.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: PopJazzOnline Anyone ? [Re: dmd] #2593647
12/10/16 02:30 PM
12/10/16 02:30 PM
Israel
N
Nahum Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Nahum  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
N

Israel
I looked some more materials. Pianist undoubtedly a very professional, knows that does, exactly complies styles - just one that is worth studying with him . And believe me, I do not get from him any dividends.

Re: PopJazzOnline Anyone ? [Re: dmd] #2593784
12/11/16 01:54 AM
12/11/16 01:54 AM
thailand
J
john fh Offline
john fh  Offline
J

thailand
I looked this site over yesterday and agree it is probably a good site. I will be interested in hearing what dmd has to say after his three months on the course. It seems expensive to me because for the last twenty years I have lived in Asia where prices are a fraction of American prices. Otherwise I do not believe it is too expensive. I do not know about other parts of the world. In Philippines I paid a professional performing pianist 500 piso's for a three hour lesson, once a week. At the time that equaled approximately $12.50 for three hours.

Re: PopJazzOnline Anyone ? [Re: dmd] #2602208
01/08/17 03:48 PM
01/08/17 03:48 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Well, here it is .... my take on this after 1 month.

I only saw 4 lessons so I have a very limited set of material from which to judge.

I believe this is designed for late intermediate players who have decided to go into the jazz world and need direction.

It tells you exactly what you should be practicing (drills, tunes, etc ...) and provides more than enough material to keep you busy for the 10 day period between lessons.

I believe that if you are able to do what you are given as homework, you will progress quickly in the jazz genre.

I chose to pull out within the 30-day warranty period and receive my initial fee back. They agreed to return that fee with no problem.

In general, I think it is a good source of instruction ... just a bit too fast for my skill set.

If you are a solid intermediate player and interested in the jazz genre, this might be a very good spot for you.

Don

Re: PopJazzOnline Anyone ? [Re: dmd] #2854870
06/02/19 10:13 AM
06/02/19 10:13 AM
Long Beach, CA
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

Long Beach, CA
I would like to revive this thread as I have just joined PopJazzonline. Is anyone else on PW enrolled or following Gjermund Sivertsen on YouTube?

So far I am impressed. There is a lot covered in each lesson. That is why you need 10 days to complete it. There is a practice section where you play what you learned with the (virtual) teacher. All to insure you have absorbed the information before moving on to the next lesson. Compared to other lesson programs I have used, including both online and in person teachers, this seems better structured. One thing that attracted me is his theory that you should spend your time learning what YOU want to play at the piano. At my age, I don't want to spend a lot of time learning to play with a bass player. Or how to play BeBop. Anyway, that's my take on it. I'm interested in yours.

[Linked Image]

Novice with a Novus.....?
Re: PopJazzOnline Anyone ? [Re: TomLC] #2868924
07/13/19 09:02 AM
07/13/19 09:02 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by TomLC
I would like to revive this thread as I have just joined PopJazzonline. Is anyone else on PW enrolled or following Gjermund Sivertsen on YouTube?

So far I am impressed. There is a lot covered in each lesson. That is why you need 10 days to complete it. There is a practice section where you play what you learned with the (virtual) teacher. All to insure you have absorbed the information before moving on to the next lesson. Compared to other lesson programs I have used, including both online and in person teachers, this seems better structured. One thing that attracted me is his theory that you should spend your time learning what YOU want to play at the piano. At my age, I don't want to spend a lot of time learning to play with a bass player. Or how to play BeBop. Anyway, that's my take on it. I'm interested in yours.

Hi Tom,

I am curious as to your "take" on it after nearly a month and a half.

My guess would be that you are no longer a member of it.

Am I right ?

Don

Re: PopJazzOnline Anyone ? [Re: dmd] #2868946
07/13/19 11:05 AM
07/13/19 11:05 AM
Long Beach, CA
TomLC Offline
Gold Subscriber
TomLC  Offline
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member

Long Beach, CA
Don, Yes you are right. wink I compared this to Open Studio, JazzPianoOnline, and Piano with Willy (Which I still have). I actually like all of them. I decided on Open Studio for now at least. The beginning Jazz course is actually for intermediate piano players who want to learn jazz/blues improvisation. I find it challenging and so far holding my interest.

[Linked Image]

Novice with a Novus.....?
Re: PopJazzOnline Anyone ? [Re: TomLC] #2868968
07/13/19 12:22 PM
07/13/19 12:22 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by TomLC
Don, Yes you are right. wink I compared this to Open Studio, JazzPianoOnline, and Piano with Willy (Which I still have). I actually like all of them. I decided on Open Studio for now at least. The beginning Jazz course is actually for intermediate piano players who want to learn jazz/blues improvisation. I find it challenging and so far holding my interest.

I am not surprised.

I subscribed to JazzPianoOnline for 1 month just to see what it was.

I found it to be filled with practice intensive drilling on things which take enormous amounts of time and dedication.

I estimated it might take me 6 months (or more) to master things in the first 4 lessons and there was no assurance that I ever would.

I saw no point in continuing to pay for additional lessons when I was not going to complete the ones I already had.

So, I quit.

If I ever feel I can move on past those first 4 lessons, I might try starting again (for a month) on lesson 5.

Don

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
lead sheet - Someday We'll All Be Free
by seniorblues. 10/14/19 04:30 PM
Brahms, Op. 76, No. 3, Opinions
by BruceD. 10/14/19 03:02 PM
Baldwin Piano 245
by gentlebreeze. 10/14/19 02:35 PM
Anybody do LRCM or LRSM?
by spk. 10/14/19 01:41 PM
Stretches in the middle registers
by Ghostnotes. 10/14/19 10:44 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,520
Posts2,879,182
Members94,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission